Poppet: It was not to be!

Sukistokes2

Visit site
As some people may have already seen on face book, Poppet, the horse dumped with the rubbish, sadly took a turn for the worst this morning and was pts.
This morning Poppet was found down in his stable, yesterday he had been fine, grazing and looking so much better. The fire brigade came and got him on his feet (thanks lads you were great!) He was however very weak and unsteady. The vet was called and he advised that it was the end of the road.Piggy and Friends and Mum were deverstated as this little horse had made such an impact in the short time he was on their yard. Thye vet ended his suffering by injection and he peacefully went to sleep. RIP little man.

There is so much that could be said at this point about the treatment of this helpless animal but I am too upset to type them!

Poppet spent his last days with people who loved him. He was fussed over, fed, brushed, bathed and loved by everone who met him. People from all over sent him their best wishes and money to help look after him. Strangers arrived with gifts and left as friends. For ten days he was treated as he should have been from the start but it was not to be and he has left us poorer through his lost but richer for having met him.

Thoughout Kent there are herds of these horses, straving and suffering, the RSPCA can not cope. The Brown Bread Charity, who have helped from day 1 with Poppet and had found him a new home for when he was fitter, take up the slack, If you wish to help him now he has gone, help them.

The owners who did this, are known, they have been to court before many times, fines are never paid, orders not to keep horses ignored, How long will this continue. It is time that these people faced real justice, not a slap on the wrist. The courts need to hand out prison sentances!

Piggy and Friends has done a wonderful job I am very proud to call her my friend!

longdog

Visit site
Well done for giving this baby a final few happy days where he was loved &cared for. We should all be as pro-active as you when such neglect is found. Xx LD

doriangrey

Visit site
I'm so sorry, I was really routing for this little man. I know you are hurting but you can take comfort in the fact that he was looked after and cherished by you and your friends even if it was just for a short time :(

sandi_84

Visit site
So sorry to hear that little Poppet didn't make it :(
It makes me so angry that people treat horses this way! :mad:
Well done you for taking him in and giving him the best care he could want!

SaharaS

Visit site
I'm sorry to read this..but at least he was shown love, kindness and will have known that his life mattered. thank you to everyone who cared enough to help him..sweet dreams little Poppet, sending hugs x

Shadow the Reindeer

Visit site
When I heard he was back on his feet, i felt there was hope for him.... So I was shocked to hear he didn't make it :( At least he didn't die alone and in pain where he was dumped :(

Feival

Visit site
So sorry to here this. Thank you and your friends so much for giving him a happy home for a few days. It's such a disgrace that these vile people get away with what they do, time after time! At least he knew love in the end.

MrsNorris

Visit site
How sad, so sorry for all those involved, you did a fantastic job but sometimes it is just not meant to be. :(

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Poor little mite, but at least he knew some kindness at the end.

Unfortunately the Powers That Be are *****-scared to do anything about this growing problem; plus the RSPCA are more concerned with bumming up money for fund-raising by showing the cute and cuddly and not dealing with the more unpalatable - and politically volatile - issues such as this is.

Call me radical if you will, but one way to sort it would be to issue an edict that if in a set period, say 7 days, that unless owners of these animals remove them from public areas, then all horses/ponies not properly secured in either a paddock, stable, or livery yard, will be rounded up and shot. And do it. No compensation would be offered. Give Defra something sensible to do for once, but as usual no-one from officialdom is doing anything and this is only going to get worse.

ShadowHunter

Visit site
So sad to hear this, RIP little man, your free now.
God bless everyone who helped Poppet. Draw comfort from the fact that his last days were filled with love for him and that he wasn't alone.

Greylegs

Visit site
Really sorry to hear this especially after seeing pics of Poppet in H&H ... He looked a cute and spirited little chap.

You and your friends should be proud of what you did to try to help him, showing him love and kindness to the very end.

I have nothing but contempt for whoever did this to him and I agree that radical measures should be taken to stop his so called "owners" ever doing this to another animal.

Sleep tight little man and love and hugs to you all.

FionaM12

Visit site
:( Oh how sad. Not the outcome anyone wanted. Poor little mite, as others have said, at least he knew kindness at the end.

babymare

Visit site
Credit to all who showed this little man some kindness. you battled so hard and showed him love . RIP Poppet.. those who knew you wont forget you x

smellsofhorse

Visit site
So sad that Poppet lost his fight.

RIP
Poppet
xxx

But his short life drew attention to the larger plight and hopefully things can be improved and the people at fault can be punished.

alwaysbroke

Visit site
So sorry to read this, hope that you can all be comforted knowing that Poppet received kindness and the very best of care in his last few days, so sad that he didnt make it:(

Run free little man xx

Tobiano

Visit site
So sorry to read this. Thank you to you and your friends for taking care of Poppet at the end and showing him the love and care he deserved. run free, Poppet. X

Milanesa

Visit site
Ah so sad, sorry to hear this but you should be so proud of what you did for the little guy, and know how well looked after he was at the end.

merrymeasure

www.winningpost-art.co.uk
Oh I am so sorry at this sad news. Thank you to you and your friends for caring, and showing little Poppet such love and compassion in his last days. No animal should have to go through what he did, but at least he was loved at last by people who cared. Bless you all. RIP little Poppet, run free now xx

atlantis

equinetouchjo.wordpress.com
So sorry to hear this. I have the upmost respect for you and your friends for what you did to help him, and utter contempt for his owners who inflicted this suffering on him.

Sleep tight little Poppet!!

bouncingbean

Visit site
So sorry to hear Poppet didn't make it, RIP little man. Thank you for everything you and your friends did for him, showing him the love and care he should have had all along. RIP Poppet x

spottydottypony

Visit site
I am really sorry to hear this x At least his days with you he was loved and cared for, as for the people who dumped him they should be ashamed of themselves. Karma will get them in the end x