preferring mares?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm detecting a note of mare-snobbery here - upthread, it's basically, if you prefer geldings, it's because you're approaching the relationship wrong, and geldings don't think and have any real personality. Perhaps the mare people are approaching the geldings wrong?!

lol :D

I've had thinky geldings and thick geldings, I know they come in all varieties :p My remark on the subject really just came from hearing people say they couldn't get on with mares, and then wondering if they applied the same "you will submit" tactics with the mares they had encountered, that they used with their own geldings :p

If you went at any of mine with a "Submit!" mindset, I think you would find the equine equivalent of the middle finger being thrust at you, yet they are all - in their different ways - happy, willing animals that will go along with most things :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
If you went at any of mine with a "Submit!" mindset, I think you would find the equine equivalent of the middle finger being thrust at you, yet they are all - in their different ways - happy, willing animals that will go along with most things :)

I suspect that the only one of mine who would respond actively negatively (as opposed to shutting down and blocking out the annoyance) to that sort of treatment is my younger gelding. My mare would just try her best and look sad that she wasn't getting it right, which would break my heart. It's personality, not sex which makes the horse ;)

SadKen

Visit site
lol :D

I've had thinky geldings and thick geldings, I know they come in all varieties :p My remark on the subject really just came from hearing people say they couldn't get on with mares, and then wondering if they applied the same "you will submit" tactics with the mares they had encountered, that they used with their own geldings :p

Do you know what though... I've never had that kind of mindset with any animal - I'm very much a 'hey, we'll be a team, like the SAS, only we'll get matching T shirts, and we'll give each other a cool nickname like Snowy or Joker or Corky, I've got your back, you've got mine, we'll go into the breach together as comrades, allies and equals...'

and mares still really hate me.

I don't row with them, but equally I can't be bothered to make the effort to pander to it. I wonder if that's the test; mares will push your buttons to test whether or not you think they are worth the effort. 'Do you really love and respect me? Even when I do.... this? what about... this?? See. I said you didn't love me really'. I never think they are, so I just abandon ship early on!

Women. Tuh.

Whereas I could usually get a note out of a gelding, and I've not had to 'tell' them things unless they've been immensely stupid or babies.

Nasicus

Visit site
Growing up, I always said 'when I'm grown up and have my own horse, it'll be a gelding!', probably after years of dealing with witchy, fed up riding school mares and getting on more with the geldings.
As an adult, I went out with the intention of buying a gelding, gosh, no way I'd have a mare.

Fast forward 4 years and I have two mares. Why? Because there was something about them which drew me to them when I first met them, something that made me look past what dangly bits they had or didn't have. I certainly enjoy them, ones very biddable with a little defiant streak, and the youngster wears her heart on her sleeve and isn't afraid to make her opinions known. So I think it's more just about finding a horse that you get along with, whether that happens to tend towards geldings or mares or a mixture, and not writing them off because of their bits :)

Alibear

Visit site
I'm definitely another mare person. My first two horses were mares and we got on really well, my next two were geldings and we never really clicked, this time I said it had to be a mare and again we've clicked really well. We're still sussing each other out just over a year in but we will get there, I love that they let you know what's going on and how they feel. If I know that I can adjust plans accordingly to get the results I want and in doing so they trust you more and become willing to do more for you. Plus a mare on a good day is unbeatable, unless you're up against another mare on a good day :)

windand rain

Visit site
Although I would never buy another gelding i do understand why some people prefer them. When I was young my event horses were tb or warmblood type geldings They were forward and quite mad but of course that is where the talent came from. Gung ho and off we go were their dfault mode. They were pretty unbeatable in many ways, but they were micro managed couldnt make a decision if their life depended on it they just went, never stopped sometimes literally and had little or no sense of self preservation, my friends less talented geldings were just thick even if you told them what to do they would either just stand there looking at you or would do things by half measures. Now I am old I need looking after my mares are kind, thoughtful and take care of me and themselves old and young alike. They chunter away constantly to me and are much less in your face and are totally committed when asked to do something. The young highland is just as bonkers as my old event horses but she has more sense than they had so is in many ways much safer doing things at 90mph than they were. She loves eventing too

Alibear

Visit site
Good point windand rain, I love the more vocal communication I get from my mares, current one grumbles if she's finding something difficult whilst still giving her best effort. It makes it very easy for me to reward her for her effort and not ask her to do more than is fair.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Good point windand rain, I love the more vocal communication I get from my mares, current one grumbles if she's finding something difficult whilst still giving her best effort. It makes it very easy for me to reward her for her effort and not ask her to do more than is fair.

My young mare grunts and grumbles in the school when shes concentrating. It's very sweet. And when we do bits of clicker training she literally squeals in delight when I say her clicker word! And when I untie her lead rope to put her back in the stable she does a little happy whicker cos shes excited to get back to her haynet. :lol: She's a lovely chatter box.

TheMule

Visit site
I've had mares for a number of years now. They tend to be cheaper as little projects and I get on with them when other people struggle. My set-up suits mares, they're kept out as a little herd and I automatically do things in a 'mare' way. But my best mare went and delivered a little colt so I'm looking forwards to a simpler life with my gelding in the future.....

Bright_Spark

Visit site
I've had more mares than geldings over the years, although not by design, just the way things have worked out. 7 mares to 3 geldings, 2 of the mares I really did not click with.

In my own experience, I've found my mares have been more likely to say 'why?' or 'nope' when asked to do something, whereas the geldings have been more likely to give something a try. But when a mare is willing to do something, they really seem to get it in one go.

My current mare and gelding are almost the complete opposite of each other. Gelding is not cuddly, likes everyone, very forward going, not as spooky but over reacts when he does, tries very hard to please, but worries if he thinks he has made a mistake, does not like my mare being taken away from him, not as well moving as my mare but easier to get it.
Mare is quite affectionate, bit lazy to ride and really has to be pushed to produce nice work, but when it's there - wow. She is very spooky, but spooks then carries on as normal, does not mind if my gelding is taken away and has her preferred people.

Could I choose between mares or geldings? Probably not, I do think it's the individual horse I'm drawn to. I've known quiet 'gelding-like' mares, and some very 'mareish' geldings over the years!

JLav

Visit site
I know just as many temperamental and difficult geldings as I do mares.....and just as many totally straight forward mares as I do geldings!!! Its funny how if a mare is difficult in any way its always 'because its a mare' whereas a difficult gelding is never referred to as 'because its a gelding'!!!

I have had several mares.....all totally straight forward and the most genuine easy horses you could imagine.....on the whole my geldings have been the same but thats because I buy them and/or train them to be so!!

OldFogie

Provocateur
Visit site
I was besotted with one particular grey mare so could be rather prejudiced! I still drool over the "Horse for Sale" pages when a look similar ( could never be another! Haha.) turns up - but apart from these daydreams my days of ownership are over.

However; I feel that there's much myth bandied about the difference between mares, geldings and stallions, when really they are all very "horsey" and do horsey stuff. I've worked with stallions you could lead on a cotton thread, little pony mares that would trying and well - if not kill you - certainly do you a serious injury, placid geldings, rebellious geldings and everything in between.

The one constant factor I've found is that - I rarely find anything wrong with any of them! One of the few quotations from Mr Churchill that I'd ever agree with "there's something about the outsides of a horse that's good for the insides of a man."

ponies4ever

Visit site
I'm so glad I started this thread! Seeing so much mare positivity really makes me happy! Don't know how'd you'd all feel though if I told you mine is...chestnut :O

huskydamage

Visit site
Love mares I have two (and yes one is the 'dreaded' chestnut) . In fact have never really had a gelding. When horse shopping a while ago my wanted add said gelding considered but mare preferred! I don't get all the mare hate, plus I have seen my friend clean their geldings sheath that alone has got to be reason enough to have a mare lol

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I used to be a gelding person when I was younger. I now have a ratio of 1:8! :D

The old git is outnumbered. My riding mare now is a little tricker but more loving! :)

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mare see - mature much quicker mentally :p

She's not more mature - she's just straightforward, and always has been (so I'm told). She's actually more babyish than they were in many ways - she has the attention span of a gnat! I love her and think she's fabulous, but that's entirely because she's the horse she is, and not because she's a mare.