Price of part loans

JulesRules

Visit site
There are good and bad sharers and good and bad owners. In my experience good sharers are treated like gold dust.

If I have issues with a sharer I normally have a quiet chat, but I wouldn't be beyond sacking off a sharer if it was warranted. At the end of the day my horse is the most important person in the share and it has to work for her. I tell any potential sharers this at the beginning so there is no misunderstanding and all my sharers sign a written agreement.

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site
I dont think most of you get my point at all You buy a horse because you want one, you may even buy more than one for various reasons, but they are your responsibility financially and morally. You have them to love, care for and ride. You know the costs before you start. Why then would you suddenly expect someone else to pay for your hobby, one you have commited to. Sharers get a raw deal in many cases paying out, working hard and getting little respect or loyalty from the horse owner. Yes they get to ride relatively cheaply but they can be ditched on a whim and have often bought a lot of stuff for that horse (i know that is their choice sometimes but not always) I know of several sharers that have to provide their own tack if the owner has another horse using the same stuff. The only fair cost to a sharer should be to pay to have a barefoot horse shod if necessary and the owners dont need it to be and any extra to normal care the horse needs to meet the sharers needs. "Shakes head at the muddled thinking that think sharers should pay for my passion"

Yes, my horse is my responsibility and always has been from the date of purchase. I have never had a sharer (never went through with it in the end) but when I looked for a sharer before it was because I thought it was a nice idea. I have at various times in the past been a sharer. Not just after riding school lessons, but between horses and whilst owning a horse too. I always paid regardless of the horses schooling level or the type of livery it was on. Payment was part of the deal offered by the various shares I had and I thought it was fine. I still do think that.

As others have metioned on this thread, when I was a sharer I was getting "horse time" as well as riding. Some have spoken as if sharing should be cheaper than lessons *because* it's not lessons. They obviously value instruction above all else, which is fine. Whereas I valued the freedom of horse ownership above all else. As a sharer you don't get to make all the decisions as if you were the owner, but neither do you have the responsibility of the horses owner. As a sharer you get a taste of horse ownership, in the sense that you get to do what you want when you want, within the limits set by the horse owner. These limits are nowhere near as strict as those set by a riding school. You go to see your share horse and you can groom when you want, turn up at the yard when you want (within reason and yard rules), there's no pre-arranged time to ride so no need to hurry because you're late, you get to choose where you ride, for how long, how fast and how far you go (depending on horses ability), the route you take, the exercises you ride. You get freedom, to a large extent, which you simply can't get by hiring a horse to ride under supervision for an hour. That's what I was paying for - freedom. I was never paying to subsidise someone elses hobby.

When I looked for a sharer I was offering that same freedom to someone else, because I wasn't riding every day at that time and I thought it was a nice thing to do. But to give someone set days (or even not set days but commit to giving them eg 3 days/wk) meant giving up the chance to ride myself on those days. So those weeks when I took time off work and could have ridden daily if I'd wanted to, no I couldn't - because I've got a sharer. That's what the charge was for, I was giving up some of my freedom and effectively selling that freedom to the sharer, for no other reason than to help someone who couldn't afford it have a taste of horse ownership, because I believe people being nice to other people is how the world works best (except the world doesn't work that way at all because so many people are basically horrid, but that's another discussion). I was grateful for all the people who'd given me a chance to be a sharer, when I wouldn't otherwise have had a horse/2nd horse and I wanted to give the opportunity to someone else. Since I wasn't riding every day most weeks it seemed like the right thing to do. The sharer wasn't subsidising my hobby. When I give up so much (home ownership, social life, jobs I never took because they would have impacted on my ability to care for my horse etc) to be able to afford a horse, why shouldn't I, as the horses owner, be compensated by a small fee (its never half costs, because sharers don't pay vet bills) and having the stable chores done, in return for giving up some of *my* freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want with my own horse?

As it was, I got messed around, decided I was sick of trying to be nice to people who didn't appreciate the opportunity I was giving them, and decided not to have a sharer after all. Because I never *needed* a sharer. It was purely that I wasn't riding that much and thought that if I wasn't, someone else may as well be. That's the situation of most of the people I've known who've looked for sharers. They've literally had a sharer because of "why not?" and the extra time/money is handy, though they've not *needed* it. So this attitude of some sharers that they're "helping someone out, and why should they have to pay" really doesn't work for a lot of horse owners.

wingedhorse

Visit site
I'd like to think I am a reliable sharer. I've been with my current horse for 3 years now, and pay a little bit more than what you all suggest for 3 days a week. London Prices!!
I'd like to think I'm a competent novice, I struggle with my confidence and the mare does sometimes take advantage of that although there's no real mischief in her.
I also got the rider's insurance that petplan offer to protect us both.
I muck out on my days, check in regularly in regards to rugging especially in these topsy-turvy weather days. On days before I could drive, I would sometimes do a 2 hour round trip just to muck out (I don't ride in rain, as I can't see in my glasses!)
I have a flatwork lesson once a week and when the nerves and finances are there I sometimes have a jumping lesson as well. The Owner is happy for me to do what I like on my days, although she confesses to worrying when we venture out of the yard hacking and we have done a few competitions.
I don't harass her about competing as A) I'm terrible! and B) I don't like to put her out.
I feel terribly guilty if I'm not able to make my days as I'm going on holiday or have a flyball competition with my dog but I offer to do a different day and have often been asked if I can go up that day as something happens that means she cannot make it herself.

She was lame and off work for a month or so last summer, but I still paid up and did my chores - my reasoning being that if it was my horse I'd still have to pay anyway for livery!

She did briefly get sold last summer and then came back and in that time two other owners at the yard asked me if I'd like to share theirs, not because of my riding skills but because they said that they knew I'd care for their horses as if they were my own which meant more to me than being wanted because I ride like Charlotte!

This exactly. You sound like a brilliant sharer.

The trick IMO of a good share arrangement, is where the owner and the sharer both feel they have a good deal, and are happy. And horses are benefit. Can be done!

I've got 2 Dutch Warmbloods on part livery, all chores done. Both nice rides, both competed and schooled to medium and do changes. Both nice hacking horses, have good well fitting tack, regular bodywork, well balanced feet, adlib hay and 16 hours of turnout a day. Both fit, fun horses, good in traffic, seen most things out hacking, good to handle and travel. Yard has excellent varied hacking, and lit full size school with mirrors. I am in Surrey (re pricing).

Sharer 1 doesn't pay and helps out making supplement pots up, doing stretches and massage pads. And is my backup on her two days I don't always go to yard at all. She can also often handle bodywork / farrier / vet visits so I don't need to book holiday. Rides Mondays and Fridays as doesn’t work those days. Hacks my younger horse. And will exercise my older horse as well if sharer 2 can't ride (he needs to keep moving 6 days a week). Very capable, supervises others on my other horse. Left to her own devices. Can pony one horse safely off the other. Can also drive my lorry and take both horses to new places hacking. Not particularly interested in riding in school. Is a fantastic reliable support e.g. poulticing / checking / doing extra stuff if needed. Does other adhoc days e.g. weekends if I am away, or rides out with me at weekends. Sometimes brings her sister / friend to hack other horse.

Sharer 2 has 5 kids, limited availability and tries to hack my older horse with sharer 1 on Mondays and Fridays. Sometimes life gets in the way. Slightly less confident rider and only hacks with me or sharer 1 with her. Charge her £40 a month towards older horse's v expensive shoes. Older horse benefits massively from regular hacking throughout winter, when I lack daylight to hack mid-week.

Sharer 3 pays £120 a month and hacks / schools / has lessons on my older horse. Potentially any day but Monday and Friday. He sometimes rides 3-4 times in a week, other weeks not for ten days, depending on his schedule. I accept that I cannot rely on him to keep my older horse in regular work. He hacks in company only, and I arrange company or go myself with him. He is a sensitive quiet rider, and appreciates my older horse. Sometimes brings his son up to groom my older horse.

I like to think all the above have a good arrangement, and I appreciate all of them. The key for me is all of them care about my horses, and put them first, and are considerate. So my horses gain from all of them.

I've also seen too many shares where owner is frightened of riding the horse, but expects the sharer to ride it anyway and isn't honest with them about the risks. I'd never ask one of my sharers to do something I don't do. Both horses have manageable foibles which I disclose fully with their riders. I compete both horses. And I try and make sure in winter I keep them in regular work so aren't fresh for them. And if something happens e.g. lost shoe and horse has had a few days off, I make sure I let them know, and suggest might want to assess horse and lunge first. I am quite protective of them, as I'd be horrified if had an accident on my horses.

wingedhorse

Visit site
Yes, my horse is my responsibility and always has been from the date of purchase. So this attitude of some sharers that they're "helping someone out, and why should they have to pay" really doesn't work for a lot of horse owners.

Agree. I think it depends on the quality of the horse and available facilities. If a horse is an enjoyable ride for the sharer, and the environment is what they enjoy riding in. And what this means varies massively from person to person, then they are unquestionably gaining something. I see shares where I think owner should be paying sharer, and shares where I think the sharer should be paying owner. Huge spectrum IMO.

I have different arrangements myself for different sharers and horses, because they are different people who offer and want different things.

Cowpony

Visit site
This discussion reminds me of a story I once heard about somebody who used to go and buy his eggs from a local smallholder. Sometimes the "egg man" would come round on his bike and sell eggs door to door, but when he didn't people would go to him. The customer couldn't understand why the eggs were cheaper when the egg man came round, because surely things are more expensive when delivered, right? One day he asked why this was. The egg man replied "Well, when you come to me, you need eggs, but when I come to you I need money."

So maybe whether you charge/pay or not depends on why you are sharing in the first place.

I don't charge my sharer. I work full time and she does me a huge favour by looking after and riding my horse during the week. From her perspective she gets a nice horse to ride without the cost, so she wanted to contribute, and does so in the form of paying for hay and straw. This works well as she has two ponies for her children, and not having to keep hay and straw separate makes her life easier. We both think we are getting a wonderful deal, which I think is the definition of a good share.

Sophire

Visit site
I recently got a sharer. I had one for around 2 months before Christmas, she paid £30pw and did 3-4 days depending on her availability. Things didn't work out for a variety of reasons and I've found a new sharer again in the new year. She pays less, £20pw but I was happy to compromise as I thought she rode my horse so kindly when she came to try her. I'm not after a world beating rider, but I do want someone with good, soft hands and someone who isn't going to fight with her.

She does 3-4 days a week dependent on her plans and my plans and it seems to be working out well. She does have to muck-out on the days she rides but no poo-picking, doesn't have to turn out in the morning during the week and I'm happy for her to school, hack, jump and compete when we go out. I personally think its working out great for both of and hope she's happy to continue sharing her for a long time!

Pippity

Visit site
I pay a token fee (covers the cost of his shoes) to share a horse who's quirky and nervous out hacking and has never seen a trotting pole that isn't going to kill him, but is an absolute dressage schoolmaster in the manege. (Schoolmaster in the sense that he responds correctly to the correct aids, not in the sense that he'll put up with any terrible rider lobbed on top of him.)

I have him Mon-Fri, with the understanding that if his owner is ever free, she's absolutely welcome to ride in my place. (This has happened twice in two years.) His owner has him weekends, with the understanding that, if she's away, I'm welcome to ride. (This is currently happening once a month or so.) He's on full livery during the week, and DIY at weekends. If I have him at the weekend, I'm responsible for all chores, either doing them myself or covering the costs of livery. If I spot that something of his needs replacing, I'll do it - new trugs, heacollar, treats, etc.

I obviously get an amazing deal out of this!

From his owner's pov, somebody's keeping her mildly arthritic horse fit and schooled for her to ride at weekends. She's saving money on livery for weekends she's away. And - importantly for this horse - he's getting plenty of affection and one-on-one attention, which he absolutely needs to be happy.

For us, this arrangement works really well, and we both feel like we're getting the better end of the deal. A different sharer or a different owner may well feel completely differently to how we do.

The trouble is, it can be difficult for the right sharer to find the right owner, and vice versa. In my experience, the most successful sharing arrangements come about when the two people already know each other, or are introduced by a third party who knows them both. (In my case, the horse's owner and I use the same instructor.) But if you aren't already plugged in to the horsey community in your area, it can be pretty much impossible to make those connections.

I feel like somebody needs to set up a 'dating agency' to connect sharers and owners!

eventer and proud

Visit site
I've been looking each summer for the past 3 years for a part loan, as that's when most appear.

Usually, they've been like £10 a week and no or some yard duties.

This year they all seem to be in the £30-40 price bracket A WEEK! Some with yard duties, some without.

I could pay for decent livery for that price!

Am I going mad thinking that's ridiculous or is it now normal? 😣 Had a heart attack when I enquiried into the first one 😩

I would not expect to pay anything for a loan pony, i don't know much about part loan however £40 sounds a lot. I would never pay that!

Kaybie

Visit site
I share for the cost of shoes, which works out around £50 a month for 3 days a week and doing evening chores on those days.

I rode and owned for about a decade as a teenager but was out of the saddle for 10 years. I decided I wanted to get back into the hobby focusing on hacking and schooling, maybe even dressage eventually. I found a 16 year old Welsh Sec. D who has been brilliant and a great confidence giver, putting up with my lack of balance as I get used to everything again. Giving me the chance to re-discover my lost ability on such a straightforward horse has been worth every penny.

His owners are happy with the arrangement too, often saying I'm the most reliable sharer they've had. I find that crazy - I think I meet the minimum standards of turning up and doing my chores! There must be some terrible sharers out there.

Widgeon

Visit site
I'm in North Yorkshire, and most people have said I'm basically being cheap (not offended), however the locations state most are down south, which is significantly more expensive then up north!

On the cost of livery point - for what it's worth, I agree - I'm also in York and you can get reasonable grass livery (with hay!) for the sort of money you initially described. Last time I looked (last year) there did seem to be a few shares about that from memory seem like they might have suited you, but mostly out towards Easingwold etc. in the outlying villages. Have you tried looking on / posting an advert on notice boards in places like Thompson's feed store in Murton?

Achinghips

Visit site
I don't charge my young sharer and I teach her. She does poo picking for all of my horses, nets, water, feeds and sweeps the yard on the days that she is here. As soon as money changes hands, I'd fear any liability and legal issues.

Embob1

Visit site
I have been sharing/part loaning the same horse for around 5 years now. The horse is owned by my best friends auntie and over the years, I have become part of the family (they have 8 horses between them!)
I am extremely lucky to only pay £50 per month. For this, I ride one evening during the week and put him to bed/do hay/water etc once finished riding and at the weekend I turn out/muck out in the mornings, ride and bring him in for bed in the evenings, he is DIY and is essentially my responsibility at the weekend. I could go down every day and ride more if I want but unfortunately, my job just doesn't really allow me the time, I also travel a lot (often for 2 nights at a time) so I cannot commit to more than one week day evening.
If I want to go out, as long as I arrange the transport, I would be free to do pretty much anything I wanted.

I tend to either pay in full or at least chip in for the less frequent extras e.g. dentist, back lady, saddle checks etc. I have also just paid for a new £800 saddle as his didn't fit (and hasn't done for quite some time!) and will be getting a new bridle soon - I am the only person to ride him though, the owner doesn't ride anymore.

I think I have a really good deal for the price I pay however, I do give up my weekends every week - we all know how restricting it is with horses at the weekend, it's constant clock watching! To give up each weekend is quite a commitment for a non horse owner in my opinion, but we do it for the love. I also feel really guilty for going on holiday/having a day or weekend off but do still pay as normal for the month.