Prices just went up another level

Cloball

Visit site
That’s really sad to hear and it’s tough .
Keep your contacts with the horse world current if you can you never know what might come up a loan or helping a friend while you save .
I do know I am very lucky .
Thank you. I only recently moved somewhere new pre Covid so it's taking a while to build horse contacts but I think I'm getting there. All my previous ponies have been chance finds. I can totally see why the market is so hot, I have been desperate for a nice solid hack to potter about on especially in the nice March and April we've had.

I do at least have a house out of it ?

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
Thank you. I only recently moved somewhere new pre Covid so it's taking a while to build horse contacts but I think I'm getting there. All my previous ponies have been chance finds. I can totally see why the market is so hot, I have been desperate for a nice solid hack to potter about on especially in the nice March and April we've had.

I do at least have a house out of it ?
Are you sure a TB out of racing wouldn't do that job?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Prevarication is for housework in a market like this .

I had to smile at this, and can't but agree. A month ago I tried to buy unseen as soon as an advert went up but the horse was sold before I was even sent a bit of video. The next one I bought on photos only and it was clear I would have lost him if I hadn't.

These were low end price horses, but the market for any more expensive, but good and sound, horse is still red hot.

There is so much money flowing around in the households which kept their jobs, which they haven't been able to spend on eating out and holidays. I think the prices may stay up, because they should given what it cost to produce a horse, but I expect the insane heat to go away and give people longer to assess horses for sale.

southerncomfort

Visit site
If it helps, I was reading earlier that dog rescues are beginning to fill up with unwanted puppies bought during lockdown.

A lot of people will be going back to work from June onwards and I wouldn't be surprised if the horse market becomes flooded. That should take a bit of the heat out of prices but I doubt we'll see a return to pre covid prices.

Reactions: JJS

Ceriann

Visit site
I had to smile at this, and can't but agree. A month ago I tried to buy unseen as soon as an advert went up but the horse was sold before I was even sent a bit of video. The next one I bought on photos only and it was clear I would have lost him if I hadn't.

These were low end price horses, but the market for any more expensive, but good and sound, horse is still red hot.

There is so much money flowing around in the households which kept their jobs, which they haven't been able to spend on eating out and holidays. I think the prices may stay up, because they should given what it cost to produce a horse, but I expect the insane heat to go away and give people longer to assess horses for sale.
I have lost 3 or 4 due to dithering or wanting to see them so I’m starting to get this. I have a small number of breeders I keep an eye on plus general ads in a few sites and to be fair lots do now do very good ads, videos etc. I do have 2 companion horses (one a bad purchase) though and whilst I keep at home I don’t want a 3rd unridden so it makes me cautious! I always think I bought my ridden mare on viewing but in reality she was mine from the video I saw!

mustardsmum

Visit site
I have been looking for months - and boy have I seen some rubbish for stupid money. As for happy hackers that are 10k because they are safe?? Shouldn’t anything under saddle be safe?? Do I sound cynical and fed up? Mmmmm, I am pretty much giving up looking.......

Wishfilly

Visit site
Having said what I said earlier on the thread, I've just seen a horse I know for sale on Facebook. She was sold for just over £1000 about two months ago, and is now back up for sale for "mid 4 figures".

I don't want to say too much, but she's incredibly green, and not a youngster. She's been on box rest within the past year due to lameness, despite not being in work when she went lame. When brought back into work, she bucked two people off, and almost certainly has some kind of undiagnosed pain issue.

I do think the horse market being the way it is, is contributing to welfare issues and situations which may end up potentially dangerous.

But in this market, a truly safe, sound horse probably is worth £10,000!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site

I think this is what puts me off buying more so than price - the speed at which you have to move! I'm not in a position to buy this year anyway but if I were, as a first time horse buyer, the thought of potentially having to make a snap decision on such a huge purchase (of a living being!) fills me with dread rather than the excitement of finally being able to afford a horse of my own.

I think I may have seen the ad for the 5yo OP mentions (or sounds very similar anyway) - maybe 5 is a bit young but actually if it is as described and sound they I would have thought that could be a good buy for a first horse which could give many years of enjoyment to a new owner. But then I have no idea how the price compares with normal/non-covid times.

irishdraft

Visit site
I met someone on my jumping class yesterday who was a typical lockdown buyer inasmuch as she hadn't ridden for at least 5 years but decided to take it up again . In January she bought a lovely 9 yo who had only hunted so no schooling or sj type experience scenario. She paid 8k for him and is thrilled to bits with him as she's now done some work and he's taking to the other things like a duck to water so I think you can find them with a bit of luck .

Spirit2021

Visit site
To be honest I say prices are going to stay up for the next 5-10 years because sellers now people are willing to pay a lot of money so people could be asking for crazy money for the few years unfortunately. I know someone who is selling a 3 year old unbroken with bad breeding for 17 thousand .

MissTyc

Visit site
I'm glad I have a rising 3yo to look forward to run on since 5 months as an impulse auction purchase, but if I didn't, and only had the adults, I would now be looking for a weanling in the hopes of having a new riding horse as mine both get older.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm glad I have a rising 3yo to look forward to run on since 5 months as an impulse auction purchase, but if I didn't, and only had the adults, I would now be looking for a weanling in the hopes of having a new riding horse as mine both get older.
yes I've got some "in stock" which feels vastly preferable to having to go horse shopping! fortunately we have the space to run them on, it would be a different story if I was forking out livery for them.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

yes I've got some "in stock" which feels vastly preferable to having to go horse shopping! fortunately we have the space to run them on, it would be a different story if I was forking out livery for them.

That's why I just snapped up a 3 year old who came at an affordable price.

I'm thinking of selling my PRE mare, who I just haven't really connected with, and with the market as it is, I didn't see how I could do that if I was madly trying to find a replacement by having to make snap decisions on horses at serious money. I paid less than £1200 for my 15.2, straight, honest, handsome mongrel and I'm sure I could stick a rider on him and sell him for 3 times that much this summer. (He's not for sale! )

Ceriann

Visit site
That's why I just snapped up a 3 year old who came at an affordable price.

I'm thinking of selling my PRE mare, who I just haven't really connected with, and with the market as it is, I didn't see how I could do that if I was madly trying to find a replacement by having to make snap decisions on horses at serious money. I paid less than £1200 for my 15.2, straight, honest, handsome mongrel and I'm sure I could stick a rider on him and sell him for 3 times that much this summer. (He's not for sale! )
He sounds ideal and I would suggest maybe 5 times that much! I wish I could buy much younger but time and skill mean I need something simpler.

Ceriann

Visit site
I met someone on my jumping class yesterday who was a typical lockdown buyer inasmuch as she hadn't ridden for at least 5 years but decided to take it up again . In January she bought a lovely 9 yo who had only hunted so no schooling or sj type experience scenario. She paid 8k for him and is thrilled to bits with him as she's now done some work and he's taking to the other things like a duck to water so I think you can find them with a bit of luck .
I think the pricing has gone up another notch since then - winter is a distant memory, there are people with much more spare cash and time (not commuting, going out, going on holiday) and there is such a shortage of the types that everyone wants, like the one your friend has bought.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I was browsing for someone last week and found a few nice pba on horse quest, someone I know has a lovely ridden show quality Welsh D his been out and has done really well.

gnubee

Visit site
My suspicion is you’re looking at Autumn 22/ Spring 23 at the earliest for prices to go down again. Lockdown has given a lot of people more free time at home (with furlough or no commutes) and fewer leisure activities they can fill time with. The first winter back to normal people will probably hold on to spring - the horses are still new and exciting, and by the time you realise how relentlessly cold and wet it is you’re halfway to summer again. I’m expecting a big price drop at the lower end in particular 23/24 as all the poor quality youngstock that have been bred by bored people in lockdown in the context of current prices flood the market.

marmalade76

Visit site
Interesting thread. I am thinking about selling my arab - he's 14.2 with shoes so he'd easily measure in, he jumps - brave & bold, goes nicely on the flat, seen hounds, I reckon he'd be fab at mounted games, good all ways with no vices, currnently being ridden by an 11 year old; yes, he is a character and a comedian, turned nine today and not really competed yet, just a couple of showing classes - how much would he be worth as a kids comp pony? ?

Equi

Visit site
Interesting thread. I am thinking about selling my arab - he's 14.2 with shoes so he'd easily measure in, he jumps - brave & bold, goes nicely on the flat, seen hounds, I reckon he'd be fab at mounted games, good all ways with no vices, currnently being ridden by an 11 year old; yes, he is a character and a comedian, turned nine today and not really competed yet, just a couple of showing classes - how much would he be worth as a kids comp pony? ?
In this market, probably 50k

I don't mind a genuine proper horse getting a good price. But i draw the line when an poorly conformed 3/4yo horse of unrecorded breeding is selling at 8-10k

fredflop

Visit site
Well I don’t know where all these people are that are fighting for horses and paying ridiculous prices.

I’ve advertised mine at a sensible price with a decent advert... no sensible takers as yet

Equi

Visit site
Well I don’t know where all these people are that are fighting for horses and paying ridiculous prices.

I’ve advertised mine at a sensible price with a decent advert... no sensible takers as yet
Its so odd isnt it. Ive seen one advertised a few times, the total "it" horse right now but the price seems very low..and thats possibly why its not selling. Im tempted to go see it lol

Ceriann

Visit site

Is your ad really selling his positives. I am ruthless in counting in or out a horse when I look at an ad so are you downplaying positives? Pics and videos are a huge positive for me too.

Equi

Visit site
It might be a gem!
Cant see it. The video shows one leg seriously lagging behind the others despite it being sold as a top class potential go far in the right hands probably win the olympics type.

Thats another bug bear (bare?) every horse being sold is a HOYS potential, go to the top potential, serious show potential etc. No shows this year, so show potential for where? lol

Michen

Visit site
Just had a look at the latest Connie prices. Jeez. I was feeling a bit twitchy that I am essentially “forced” to keep Bear, because I figured he was worthless when he’s had a liver problem (now sorted) and a lameness issue (hopefully sorted!) plus poor foot balance. Basically a shambles on paper. I thought even if I had 6 months of him being in perfect nick he wouldn’t be sellable.

Actually, he’s so much nicer than most of the connies for sale, that even with the above I reckon I’d get back at least what I paid for him 14 months ago.

He is however defo not for sale!