Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

dixie

Visit site
He does it whether we are solo or in company. I think he just gets so excited he loses his head a bit.

I've tried doing the same hack every day and it made no difference.

Maybe I just need to persevere until I restart my lessons and ask if my instructor can walk with us on a hack and advise.

He's such a nice pony otherwise!

what are you feeding him?

does he get plenty of turnout ?

TPO

Visit site
He does it whether we are solo or in company. I think he just gets so excited he loses his head a bit.

I've tried doing the same hack every day and it made no difference.

Maybe I just need to persevere until I restart my lessons and ask if my instructor can walk with us on a hack and advise.

He's such a nice pony otherwise!

Teach the one rein stop/bend to a stop technique?

Start on the ground and it thr whole pressure release thing where they give before you get on, then flex and give while you're on and repeat when riding

Buck Brannaman would be the master of it. It's in one of the 7 clinic dvds and that shows it perfectly but can't remember what one.

There will probably be YouTube stuff by Warwick schiller that will be similar.

Richard Maxwell taught similar at an ex racer clinic. He had the horses flexing to touch their shoulders as the antidote to the "tb switch" when they lost all sense of reason and wouldn't (couldn't listen)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Teach the one rein stop/bend to a stop technique?

Start on the ground and it thr whole pressure release thing where they give before you get on, then flex and give while you're on and repeat when riding

Buck Brannaman would be the master of it. It's in one of the 7 clinic dvds and that shows it perfectly but can't remember what one.

There will probably be YouTube stuff by Warwick schiller that will be similar.

Richard Maxwell taught similar at an ex racer clinic. He had the horses flexing to touch their shoulders as the antidote to the "tb switch" when they lost all sense of reason and wouldn't (couldn't listen)

That's a really good call.

I think that might work as it's not just making him stop but also insisting that he refocus on the rider.

Definitely going to try this, thank you.

Reactions: TPO

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Thanks he is! He’s a pure bred Lusitano from Portugal. He was only started last year and it’s been a while since I’ve ridden such a young horse but he was a total sweetheart when I tried him in Portugal so I’m hoping once he settles in he will go back to his chilled self! I wasn’t expecting much given he’s not been off the lorry 48hours so he has done well today, and he was very pleased with himself afterwards too!
Hi Barlow, nice to see your new young horse. Just wondering if you have anyone helping you who has experience with Iberians?

P.S. The kinky tail is characteristic of Spanish and Lusitano horses.

charlotte0916

Visit site
Hi all, hope it’s okay to join? I’ve been reading along with the thread but haven’t added mine yet as she’s had a bit of a series of events slowing our progress! Hopefully getting there now. This is my rising 6yr old. Hopefully an event prospect but starting to get a bit of an itch for dressage too.

Attachments

• 956B31E5-894D-4C74-A455-0E539D22D009.jpeg
    956B31E5-894D-4C74-A455-0E539D22D009.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 38

charlotte0916

Visit site
She looks lovely! Please tell us some more about her..?

She’s out of a KWPN by Concorde and by a Tb. I brought her 10 months ago as my first one I’ve owned and I chose her as she was supposed to be the simple easy one of all the ones I tried ? That did not go entirely to plan - turns out she’s rather highly strung and quirky on the ground so needed treatment for ulcers not long after I got her and subsequently had a couple of injuries. Thankfully we’re finally on the road to better things now (mostly) and is thriving on work now she’s in it.

TheMule

Visit site
Time to introduce Nova over here as he has graduated from the 3/4yr old thread. He is my homebred rising 5yr old Escape Z x Fleetwater Opposition, he has been pretty straightforward all the way through and just makes me so happy every time I ride him.

This weekend he went to his first stay away at @LEC's eventing camp (actually, his first ever night in a stable ?) and he was just super. It was pretty wild any windy, he quickly had to learn about banners, flapping flags, lots of other horses, jumps falling over etc etc and so he was a bit bright in the first lesson but he settled well and just got on with it. He learnt a huge amount and we have left feeling confident and ready to step things up now.

This is a little flavor of his 2 jumping lessons- I think you can really see him progressing here

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

7086CD14-7C38-46C2-9358-D50842C2C428.jpeg

Attachments

• B5C4F7B3-5F68-4A11-8AC1-C717335A8D19.jpeg
    B5C4F7B3-5F68-4A11-8AC1-C717335A8D19.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 9

TheMule

Visit site
Love him! I’m still waiting on my much anticipated Escape Z baby as my mare refused to take last year ?
Your boy is lovely

Fingers crossed for you to get yours- I am so, so pleased with what he has added to my mare, Nova is exactly what I hoped I would get. He has a super temperament and is so trainable- I'd love another.

TheMule

Visit site
TM, Wow! Nova looks awesome, hes coming on so well, you must be delighted.

Thanks!
It's a very odd mix of relief and sheer delight- I can’t believe he has made it this far in life and that I love riding him. You dream so much when you're planning it all and I lost his older sister before we got to this stage so I know how fragile it all is. But I'm really enjoying the here and now!

daffy44

Visit site
Thanks!
It's a very odd mix of relief and sheer delight- I can’t believe he has made it this far in life and that I love riding him. You dream so much when you're planning it all and I lost his older sister before we got to this stage so I know how fragile it all is. But I'm really enjoying the here and now!

I completely understand, we have such hopes and dreams for their futures, even more so with a homebred, and at the same time being so aware how painfully fragile they are! I think the best thing to do is to stay in the moment as much as possible and just enjoy every good time, easier said than done I know, but Nova looks so good, you should be very proud of everything you have done to get him to this point.

lannerch

Visit site
Well as mule has introduced the lovely nova on this thread i will introduce Layla who also has just graduated from the other thread , will be 5 in may, well we did our first cross country clinic the other weekend at Somerford , as you can see she to was amazing . I was so pleased . My riding was rusty so I need oiling it’s a long time since I did any cross country .

Attachments

• E6A8A619-23A6-411C-8C3D-B2F5B8250E94.jpeg
    E6A8A619-23A6-411C-8C3D-B2F5B8250E94.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 3065C38F-5D1D-450F-84D2-107157E581A2.jpeg
    3065C38F-5D1D-450F-84D2-107157E581A2.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
  • EA1F3119-DAA7-43FF-AC09-5186EB0688A3.jpeg
    EA1F3119-DAA7-43FF-AC09-5186EB0688A3.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 14

[59668]

Visit site
I have now had my 5yo (rising 6) for 4 weeks! Today was a big milestone as we hacked out alone for a whole hour, round our shortest loop hack, which is quite spooky in places, and I forgot it is bin day!
Super proud of us. he held it together very well, always thought forward, even when that meant trotting past something scary, and was just VERY impressive I think for a 75% blood, 16.3 leggy 5yo :D Proud of myself too as for some reason I find hacking alone to be one of the most challenging of equestrian activities!

TheMule

Visit site
Well as mule has introduced the lovely nova on this thread i will introduce Layla who also has just graduated from the other thread , will be 5 in may, well we did our first cross country clinic the other weekend at Somerford , as you can see she to was amazing . I was so pleased . My riding was rusty so I need oiling it’s a long time since I did any cross country .

I love how she looks, works it out and just pops over. You also do a really good job of not interfering with her over the fence. I'd be pleased with her too!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

She is absolutely lovely - very calm and clearly thinking about where she's putting her feet and organising herself.

Feeling slightly jealous of that as Isaac was in full overconfident wild child mode last night at a SJ clinic and it took him totally smashing through a showjump to realise that it was in his benefit to listen to what I had to say... :eek:

lannerch

Visit site
She is absolutely lovely - very calm and clearly thinking about where she's putting her feet and organising herself.

Feeling slightly jealous of that as Isaac was in full overconfident wild child mode last night at a SJ clinic and it took him totally smashing through a showjump to realise that it was in his benefit to listen to what I had to say... :eek:
Don’t give up hope rachelferd Layla used to do that to , she is now learning to back off and think , and in doing that gets the better jump with a better shape . We did take her back to trotting over a fence , and then working on the canter .

lannerch

Visit site
I love how she looks, works it out and just pops over. You also do a really good job of not interfering with her over the fence. I'd be pleased with her too!
Thanks themule I’m having to really work on not interfering, when I’m anxious my arms tense and I can grab her in the mouth I have to think relax.

You must be so thrilled with nova it must be so extra special when you bred him yourself , and you’ve managed to breed the horse that is everything you hoped he would be , a massive achievement in itself.

Barlow

Visit site
It won’t sound like much of an achievement but today we did our first off road hack under saddle, only our third hack in total, and we did it with two other horses (rather than the completely unflappable one we have been going out with). For a horse that has never hacked before he came to the UK he was brilliant. Didn’t care much for the sheep but not bothered by cars, puddles, muddy tracks or narrow gateways. Very pleased with him!

daffy44

Visit site
First lesson of the year for my rising five yr old, he is coming along nicely, and we got some really useful help in our lesson. I still believe this horse is a slow burner, he is big framed, quite big moving and still very weak for his size, I think it will take at least a couple more years before he starts to be the horse I believe he can be. But I dont mind that, he has a lot of potential, and his attitude is outstanding, he always trys so hard, and is just the easiest horse to do everything with, its a lot easier being patient when the horse is a sweetheart!

Attachments

• Bingo stable.jpg
    Bingo stable.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 19

lannerch

Visit site
First lesson of the year for my rising five yr old, he is coming along nicely, and we got some really useful help in our lesson. I still believe this horse is a slow burner, he is big framed, quite big moving and still very weak for his size, I think it will take at least a couple more years before he starts to be the horse I believe he can be. But I dont mind that, he has a lot of potential, and his attitude is outstanding, he always trys so hard, and is just the easiest horse to do everything with, its a lot easier being patient when the horse is a sweetheart!
I wish Layla was still the patient sweetheart she used to be, she is going through a brat stage , kicked me twice when I was trying to get cross country boots on, and knows best in everything. Your boy looks lovely daffy and definitely good things are worth waiting for.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Joe is lame ?
He comes out of the stable in the morning very stiff but works it off very quickly and proceeds to drag me down to the field. The vet had told me to keep riding him, in walk.
it’s been like this for about 6 weeks now
He feels awful for the first few strides and then feels fabulous, marching out in his usual way. It’s very frustrating and worrying.
The thinking is that he’s currently growing and possibly has sticking patella/stifles ? I’m speaking to the vet again this coming week with a few videos.
I’m really hoping it’s growing issues that will resolve itself and not something more sinister. I’ve not had one like this before.

Any improvement Dixie? I hope so.

dixie

Visit site
Any improvement Dixie? I hope so.

Yes !
He has improved the last couple of weeks.
The vet decided it was sticking stifles and he's definitely bulking out and growing, so it was hopeful he would grow out of it.
I continued to ride him the same as before - except no jumping and he would come out of the stable really awful but after walking him downhill before I got on he would then be fine.
The last two weeks though, he has been coming out of the stable nearly sound even when in all day due to bad weather, so I am very hopeful he is coming right.