Pictures Producing 5/6yr olds

j1ffy

Visit site
I finally have something to contribute! After what felt like an age before getting started things have come on well with my now 5yo over this spring. We’ve now completed 5 little rides around the farm and I’m proud as punch of how he’s behaved so far. Taking a step back after he’s had over a week completely off due to illness (mine) and will be back to long reining out & about off the farm for a week or two before we start hacking proper! Photos after ride 1 & 2 on my 5yo PRE (3/4) x sec D. He’s going to be for RC, hacking or whatever he enjoys really.
He seems a bit behind the impressive achievements of this thread, but I’m taking it all incredibly slowly and just enjoying the process as he’s the only one I’ve got to do and I’m in no real rush to achieve anything in particular! A few in hand shows this summer and maybe a dressage test or two before the end of the year and a good hack are my main goals.

He looks lovely!! Great to see another (mostly) PRE on the thread :)

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Layla had her third event ever and first BE 90 on Saturday at Richmond , was a 3am start for me , but boy was it worth it. She did a lovely dressage of 29.8 even though she broke in one of the canters , a clear sj and a lovely clear on a bold track XC .

Unfortunately she had 2.4 naughty time penalties for going to fast which moved her from 2nd place to 6th. But over the moon.

Isn’t it lovely when all your hopes and ambitions for the horse you bought as an unbanked youngster or better still bred yourself start becoming a reality . It’s been a long road but so worth it.

Fabulous!!

daffy44

Visit site
Show time again for my guy, his work at home is getting better and better all the time, so I'm delighted, but thought it was time to for him to see a bit more of the world, as this is where he is weakest. Different venue this time, and he is definitely improving, he tiptoes to the warm up looking for monsters, and then he spooks and gawps round the warmup, and then is fairly settled. He did the first test with no real disasters, but he felt tense and was holding his breath, we had a bit of time between tests, so he could have a little rest on the lorry, eat some hay, and watch the world which he loves. Came out for the second test like a pro, totally chilled, no more spooking and gawping, lovely in the warm up, the test started so well, he was relaxed and confident, then about halfway through he completely ran out of petrol and I had to carry him round the rest of it! He won them both 69.8% in the first, 73.1% in the second.

But its so difficult to know what to do for the best, I'd rather only do one test, but I dont want to finish with him feeling tense and anxious, but two tests make him tired! I dont warm up for ages, and do a lot in walk, yesterday he ony sweated under his saddle, so hes not physically tired, its primarily mental, and I know as he gets older he'll get fitter, stronger, and more confident so we shouldnt have a problem, but now its hard to know what to do for the best. I might try two warm ups and one test next time, I think I need to experiment a bit to see whats best for him. He was so much potential, and in the long run he will be great, its just working out the best way to get him there!

This morning he went back to bed after breakfast, I couldnt take him to the field until he'd had a really good sleep.

Attachments

• Bingo sleeping june 22.jpg
    Bingo sleeping june 22.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Bingo flat out sleep.jpg
    Bingo flat out sleep.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 14

TheMule

Visit site
Show time again for my guy, his work at home is getting better and better all the time, so I'm delighted, but thought it was time to for him to see a bit more of the world, as this is where he is weakest. Different venue this time, and he is definitely improving, he tiptoes to the warm up looking for monsters, and then he spooks and gawps round the warmup, and then is fairly settled. He did the first test with no real disasters, but he felt tense and was holding his breath, we had a bit of time between tests, so he could have a little rest on the lorry, eat some hay, and watch the world which he loves. Came out for the second test like a pro, totally chilled, no more spooking and gawping, lovely in the warm up, the test started so well, he was relaxed and confident, then about halfway through he completely ran out of petrol and I had to carry him round the rest of it! He won them both 69.8% in the first, 73.1% in the second.

But its so difficult to know what to do for the best, I'd rather only do one test, but I dont want to finish with him feeling tense and anxious, but two tests make him tired! I dont warm up for ages, and do a lot in walk, yesterday he ony sweated under his saddle, so hes not physically tired, its primarily mental, and I know as he gets older he'll get fitter, stronger, and more confident so we shouldnt have a problem, but now its hard to know what to do for the best. I might try two warm ups and one test next time, I think I need to experiment a bit to see whats best for him. He was so much potential, and in the long run he will be great, its just working out the best way to get him there!

This morning he went back to bed after breakfast, I couldnt take him to the field until he'd had a really good sleep.

Brilliant scores, well done!

j1ffy

Visit site
Those are great scores daffy, he's clearly got huge potential. You must be excited for the future!

We've been focusing on flatwork and hacking again recently - between work and a family illness, I've been a bit lax about organising anything although we have now got a jump lesson booked for next week.

We headed off to my trainer's for two lessons and an overnight stay two weeks ago. Last time we went, in October last year, he went incredibly nappy, so I was a little apprehensive. Turns out there was no need - the only stress of the weekend was a flat lorry battery on both days! Chilli settled well despite not schooling away from home this year, like Daffy's he went a little bit insecure but that played out well as it meant he was less cocky and listened nicely. He travelled well and was happy in a strange stable, and didn't mind working with others in the school (or get too concerned when they left).

A little snippet from our lessons:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We hacked the following day, then entered the yard dressage competition on the Sunday. We'd had a good, but wobbly, HC go at Intro A last August for a 70+ score from a generous judge, but a month later we attempted a Prelim Chilli had a complete meltdown which triggered the napping habit. My aim last weekend was to get him into the arena and get a good pro photo. He stayed very calm in the warm-up despite some bucking broncos around him, and trotted beautifully around the outside of the school but went very nervous and tense as we headed down the centre line. However he held it together with just a few breaks to canter and some lovely relaxed walk - I was delighted! I was very surprised when the sheets came out and we had a red rosette.

And we achieved my other goal, some lovely first pro photos of Chilli:

Chilli Intro C May 22 low res.jpg
I'm not sure what my left hand is doing here, I'm hoping I was about to adjust my reins as it's not normally in that position ?
Chilli Intro C May 22 low res 2.jpg

Since then, we've had some good hacks and schooling sessions (including some very nice right canter - it seems to just be the strike-off that he's finding difficult under saddle). He's finally learning to stretch in trot so I'm hopeful that he can learn to use his back more over the coming weeks and months.

TheMule

Visit site
Those are great scores daffy, he's clearly got huge potential. You must be excited for the future!

We've been focusing on flatwork and hacking again recently - between work and a family illness, I've been a bit lax about organising anything although we have now got a jump lesson booked for next week.

We headed off to my trainer's for two lessons and an overnight stay two weeks ago. Last time we went, in October last year, he went incredibly nappy, so I was a little apprehensive. Turns out there was no need - the only stress of the weekend was a flat lorry battery on both days! Chilli settled well despite not schooling away from home this year, like Daffy's he went a little bit insecure but that played out well as it meant he was less cocky and listened nicely. He travelled well and was happy in a strange stable, and didn't mind working with others in the school (or get too concerned when they left).

A little snippet from our lessons:

We hacked the following day, then entered the yard dressage competition on the Sunday. We'd had a good, but wobbly, HC go at Intro A last August for a 70+ score from a generous judge, but a month later we attempted a Prelim Chilli had a complete meltdown which triggered the napping habit. My aim last weekend was to get him into the arena and get a good pro photo. He stayed very calm in the warm-up despite some bucking broncos around him, and trotted beautifully around the outside of the school but went very nervous and tense as we headed down the centre line. However he held it together with just a few breaks to canter and some lovely relaxed walk - I was delighted! I was very surprised when the sheets came out and we had a red rosette.

And we achieved my other goal, some lovely first pro photos of Chilli:

View attachment 93148
I'm not sure what my left hand is doing here, I'm hoping I was about to adjust my reins as it's not normally in that position ?
View attachment 93149

Since then, we've had some good hacks and schooling sessions (including some very nice right canter - it seems to just be the strike-off that he's finding difficult under saddle). He's finally learning to stretch in trot so I'm hopeful that he can learn to use his back more over the coming weeks and months.

He looks so smart ?

TheMule

Visit site
Nova did his second event today with a step up to 90cm as he found his first one at 80 so easy peasy. He was on a team for the RC areas which was a little bit of added pressure for a very baby horse but he did a great job.
Dressage he was a bit wild warming up and then our arena was right next to the track that people were coming in/ out via- a couple of rattly trailers ruined both of our canter movements and he was generally just a little bit tense but with some nicer work shown too, so scored a very fair 36.

SJ warm up surface was so deep and horrid that I literally jumped 4 fences and went in. He just really impresses me with his focus and willingness. He breathed on the first part of the double for 4 faults but jumped super

0275C301-6288-45AD-9CDE-6CD8F3022A10.jpeg
C3185A04-4DD8-470A-9974-E380B585E0A5.jpg

There were a couple of little tests for him XC but generally it was just a nice flowing course and he gave me a lovely ride, finishing bang on the optimum time. I guess now I'm going to have to face up to the fact I've bred an event horse and say goodbye to all my savings ? ? ?

716D46CB-2C1D-49F1-BCCD-AF404F1CFFFC.jpeg

TheMule

Visit site
Fantastic TM!! I just love his technique over a fence, he could just as easily be a show jumper. But I must correct you, you havent just bred an eventer, you have produced one, and he is a credit to your training as well as your breeding.

Thank you, that’s really kind. I absolutely adore this little horse and just feel so lucky to have him at this stage- I’ve made many mistakes with other horses, learned what I want and don’t want in a horse and tried to get my riding as good as I can, ready for him. So it’s a big relief that it’s all paying off (so far!)

daffy44

Visit site
Thank you, that’s really kind. I absolutely adore this little horse and just feel so lucky to have him at this stage- I’ve made many mistakes with other horses, learned what I want and don’t want in a horse and tried to get my riding as good as I can, ready for him. So it’s a big relief that it’s all paying off (so far!)

Thats such a lovely feeling, enjoy it and him, I feel sure you both have a fabulous future!

j1ffy

Visit site
TM - Nova looks absolutely amazing.

"I absolutely adore this little horse" is something I say a lot about Chilli as well, regardless of how spicy or ridiculous he's being. I will make many many mistakes, I wish I could do everything then go back and do it all again but sadly that only happens in films.

I took him to his first 'away' competition on Saturday - he's come on such a lot at home and when we visited our trainer last month so it felt like the right next step. Having thought a little jumping comp might be the way to go, his ride ability in walk and trot has improved to the extent that some Intro dressage became my preference.

The little venue we went to is just 20 minutes away by lorry. He travelled beautifully and stood quietly while we checked in and tried to get a cuppa (sadly not open yet - I'd forgotten how early Intro classes start ?). The warm-up was on grass in a mini-XC field so he gawped a bit at some jumps, then settled nicely...helped by me allowing him a quick munch. He was very anxious heading to the test arena, started well then got more tense as we went along resulting in a spot of canter in the middle, tense walk and a very uncharacteristic spook near the end when some rubber flicked onto the kick board. 63% felt fairly generous.

We had an hour to wait, so more education on chilling out in the lorry between classes (he did very well) then I hopped on for test two a few minutes before our time. He fancied standing and watching everyone else in the warm-up but happily worked when asked, felt a lot more confident heading to the test arena. Again his tension built a bit through the test, but was more cockiness which boiled over into a half-hearted nap halfway through. A light kick and he carried on...albeit in canter...and finished the test sweetly. 66.7% and 5th place for that one but the real win was his attitude through the day.

It's nowhere near as impressive as some of the other 5yos on the thread, but it's a big step in Chilli's journey and it does feel like he's mentally starting to mature at last!

His handsome face will bankrupt me eventually as I can't resist buying photos...

REG_1944.jpg
REG_2573.jpg
REG_2628.jpg

TheMule

Visit site

"I absolutely adore this little horse" is something I say a lot about Chilli as well, regardless of how spicy or ridiculous he's being. I will make many many mistakes, I wish I could do everything then go back and do it all again but sadly that only happens in films.

I took him to his first 'away' competition on Saturday - he's come on such a lot at home and when we visited our trainer last month so it felt like the right next step. Having thought a little jumping comp might be the way to go, his ride ability in walk and trot has improved to the extent that some Intro dressage became my preference.

The little venue we went to is just 20 minutes away by lorry. He travelled beautifully and stood quietly while we checked in and tried to get a cuppa (sadly not open yet - I'd forgotten how early Intro classes start ?). The warm-up was on grass in a mini-XC field so he gawped a bit at some jumps, then settled nicely...helped by me allowing him a quick munch. He was very anxious heading to the test arena, started well then got more tense as we went along resulting in a spot of canter in the middle, tense walk and a very uncharacteristic spook near the end when some rubber flicked onto the kick board. 63% felt fairly generous.

We had an hour to wait, so more education on chilling out in the lorry between classes (he did very well) then I hopped on for test two a few minutes before our time. He fancied standing and watching everyone else in the warm-up but happily worked when asked, felt a lot more confident heading to the test arena. Again his tension built a bit through the test, but was more cockiness which boiled over into a half-hearted nap halfway through. A light kick and he carried on...albeit in canter...and finished the test sweetly. 66.7% and 5th place for that one but the real win was his attitude through the day.

It's nowhere near as impressive as some of the other 5yos on the thread, but it's a big step in Chilli's journey and it does feel like he's mentally starting to mature at last!

His handsome face will bankrupt me eventually as I can't resist buying photos...

View attachment 93867
View attachment 93868
View attachment 93869

Well done, that's great progress!
You have the same problem as me- I will be bankrupted by pro photos ?‍♀️ At least I will have very lovely walls to enjoy!

Curly_Feather

Visit site

View attachment 93867
View attachment 93868
View attachment 93869
Your horse is such a HUNK! Super lovely

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Isaac totally excelled himself today in the BE90 at Berriewood - jumping a double clear with 2 tf XC on a 32.8 dressage. Picked up a 5th place because xc caused a few issues and lots of time faults overall. I thought it was a good educational track.

Most pleasing thing is that he actually let me ride him in the SJ, rather than scooting around running through the bridle like his tail was on fire (which was pretty much his performance at Kelsall in April...)

He doesn't have the wonderful natural technique of Nova, but I feel like the penny might be dropping a bit ?

On the plus side, he's super super happy going xc ?

AntiPuck

Visit site
Isaac totally excelled himself today in the BE90 at Berriewood - jumping a double clear with 2 tf XC on a 32.8 dressage. Picked up a 5th place because xc caused a few issues and lots of time faults overall. I thought it was a good educational track.

Most pleasing thing is that he actually let me ride him in the SJ, rather than scooting around running through the bridle like his tail was on fire (which was pretty much his performance at Kelsall in April...)

He doesn't have the wonderful natural technique of Nova, but I feel like the penny might be dropping a bit ?

He looks so excellent going round the XC! (and during the other phases too, of course)

TheMule

Visit site

Well done- sounds like great progress, especially in the SJ and how lovely that he's such a natural xc ⭐

lannerch

Visit site
What a fabulous result well done RF and the lovely Isaac , he looks very great to me in all phases seeing as it’s all new, I wish Layla tried as hard to keep the poles up when she comes in deep, and he looks so relaxed XC already. Congratulations

ahml100

Visit site
jiffy, TM and RF all of yours look absoloutely super! - what a credit they are to each of you.

Dont worry Jiffy about yours not as established! There are probably 4 year olds better than mine! Though, I do find sometimes feel as if I am holding it back, especially when you read of others. However, I do remind myself that I am very much amateur amy not professional polly.

So it has been a while since I posted about my boy, we have taken a couple of steps back but also about 1000 steps forward. After our last post, i think end of April (?) where it was all going fantastic we planned another lesson at home before having an away visit. However, the next lesson Jamie suddenly got very worked up with the trot poles. The plus side was he was going over them, the downside was in a very choppy trot half canter invention. Therefore, for the rest of the lesson it was very much getting the brain to go back to chill zone and just to reassure him that poles and jumps were nothing exciting and just every day occurrences. The lesson finished on a high though, with him becoming much calmer and back relaxing. It was decided however, that he was not yet ready to go somewhere different so we scheduled another home lesson in at the beginning of this week where he was back to being a little super star again.

This leads us on to today, we went to a lovely indoor arena in a very quiet set up. He has never been inside before so we decided to go to this venue as there would be no other distractions and to give him a chance of success. All I can say is WOW! He completely blew me away, did not get tense and settled immediately into some lovely walk and trot work. Canter is still very weak, he is a big boy and ideally I would be working on it out hacking just allowing him to travel however, the ground round us is as hard as concrete so have not been able to. Just a little clip of him popping a couple of fences, what made this extra special was we have now done our first oxer from canter!!! a little link below.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Sorry for Isaac spam overload. But today he did his first novice dressage test - just at a show on our own yard (not taking him out and about again after yesterday) and he was an absolute delight - scored 69.8% under a usually pretty sensible listed judge and won his class. He'd been sleeping flat out in his stable most the day so only did a quick 15 min warm up - but he didn't feel tired or behind the leg at all in the test. Very happy - think he's really going to be able to score well as he builds up in strength.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Lovely test, mark seems very fair to me, lots of potential for the future too!

Thank you - means a lot from someone with your experience! It's unusual for me to look back at a video and go 'oh, that wasn't so much worse to look at than I thought it felt'! And it is nice to finally be sat on a horse who isn't actually built heavy onto the forehand - feels like now his brain is on side, that the actually doing the tests is the easy bit.

Alibear

Visit site
Amber and I have had a few setbacks this spring but I think we're heading back to the right path. We did our first Western Dressage test a couple of weeks ago and this week attended a Ranch Riding clinic with the American clinician Craig Johnson. We managed to get a very nice for our extended jog and a well done managing to baby slide from a walk to a halt in our ranch pattern. It's a juggling act between consolidating things and the need to teach her new things to keep her in a learning mindset.
Ranch clinic, I'm mid-change from 2-handed to 1 as we walk up to the indoor school here.
CJ Clinic 2022.jpg

Western Dressage. I was quite proud as she was unusually nervous in this arena and initially tried to exit rapidly. I managed to help her build confidence throughout the test. Not a usual skill of mine so pleased we managed it.
GWC Dressage thumbnail.jpg

j1ffy

Visit site
AHML100 - that all looked beautifully relaxed, well done on persevering!

RF - I agree with Daffy, that was a well-deserved score. Isaac moves very nicely doesn't he? And very calm and accurate.

Alibear - well done! It's fascinating seeing and hearing about Western disciplines. I'd love to see some video one day :)

We did another competition at the yard on Sunday and I was very pleased with Chilli, he was incredibly relaxed in the warm-up and far better in the test itself with just one very tense moment. We won again so I think it's time to leave Intro behind otherwise others will get annoyed!

But a bigger win for me was schooling on Saturday, when Chilli did a good, calm, rideable canter on both reins then back to an almost-normal trot afterwards. It feels like I might be able to really work on the canter soon instead of having to manage tension and over-exuberance...fingers crossed.

Must stop with the photos btw, the photographer had Chilli as her cover for the event and I ended up buying a physical copy. It's the closest to smiling I've been in a test photo, even more impressive as this was the first centre line! But he really does make me grin despite his ridiculousness at times.

Screenshot 2022-06-16 at 13.10.18.jpg

ahml100

Visit site
AHML100 - that all looked beautifully relaxed, well done on persevering!

RF - I agree with Daffy, that was a well-deserved score. Isaac moves very nicely doesn't he? And very calm and accurate.

Alibear - well done! It's fascinating seeing and hearing about Western disciplines. I'd love to see some video one day :)

We did another competition at the yard on Sunday and I was very pleased with Chilli, he was incredibly relaxed in the warm-up and far better in the test itself with just one very tense moment. We won again so I think it's time to leave Intro behind otherwise others will get annoyed!

But a bigger win for me was schooling on Saturday, when Chilli did a good, calm, rideable canter on both reins then back to an almost-normal trot afterwards. It feels like I might be able to really work on the canter soon instead of having to manage tension and over-exuberance...fingers crossed.

Must stop with the photos btw, the photographer had Chilli as her cover for the event and I ended up buying a physical copy. It's the closest to smiling I've been in a test photo, even more impressive as this was the first centre line! But he really does make me grin despite his ridiculousness at times.

View attachment 94379
That is certainly a WOW picture! Just realised you must be in my area as sower hill is about 10 mins from me! I might bump into you there in the future!