Prolite girths; are they worth it?

Esyllt

Visit site
Hi all,
As the title says really. I have recently bought a dressage saddle as it seems to be the best fit for both me and Coblet, and would like to invest in a decent girth to go with it. She is usual cob shape, and has a forward girth groove, and a lot of the info is pointing towards these working well for us, but would love to hear your thoughts, experiences and any other recommendations you have.
Thank you!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
very dependent on the horse i think, i have used them on 4 horses and they have suited them all and i would start with them as a girth in future unless horse said otherwise, as I think they are well designed and they wear well. TB and welsh need the narrow gauge, despite Welsh being built like a brick outhouse the standard was too broad for her.

LegOn

Visit site
I really wanted to love these - and I bought about 4 of them, long & short but ended up selling them all - no matter what length or gauge I went for, there never seemed to sit right so I gave up & bought a nice leather one from my local saddlery & love it!

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
They work for some, not for others, I'm not a massive fan. There are plenty of ergonomic girths that are softer, more flexible, sit better on the back edge on something with a bigger belly. Look for a W shape but not so banana shaped, if you can borrow any girths to try that can be super helpful especially with the pricier ones.

Green Bean

Visit site
I have one for my dressage saddle and GP saddle. As stated by other members, it does depend on your horse's shape. The first one I bought for my KWPN and noticed the difference straight away in her way of going in her GP saddle. Sold the horse but kept the girth for my ISH. Fitted her well too, with her new saddle. As she is a bit girthy, I thought I would try an elasticated, soft, fleece one. It didn't help with the girthiness but I have stuck with it for now but am thinking of going back to the prolite. Have the prolite for the dressage saddle still. I do like them as they allow more freedom of movement, but I think your horse needs to suit them too, it isn't a guaranteed fit for every horse. [don't worry everyone, she has been vet checked for girthiness :) )

Fjord

Visit site
I use one on my fjord and I'm very pleased with it. She has lots of wrinkles under her 'armpits' and the Prolite is the only girth I've tried that doesn't rub. You do need to clean it if it gets at all sweaty though, otherwise it will go stiff and potentially crack.

Griffin

Visit site
I use a Prolite for my round mare with her dressage saddle and it works well. My only criticism is that it is a bit 'hard' (I clean it after every ride).

Esyllt

Visit site
Thank you all so much for your replies, I really appreciate it. There's just so much choice, it's hard to know what's right! Another one that's just been thrown in the mix is a flexie girth, and a ventech... headache!

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I was recommended one by my saddle fitter. Every girth I’d used had rubbed and she suggested the Prolite as it sat away a bit at the point he always rubbed.
It worked really well for him.

sbloom

Thank you all so much for your replies, I really appreciate it. There's just so much choice, it's hard to know what's right! Another one that's just been thrown in the mix is a flexie girth, and a ventech... headache!

The Flexi I've not seen have any benefit over a decent elasticated girth, and not sure they do a short girth? The Ventch I only know the long one and I find that grips through being sticky, with the elastic being a bit weak, I prefer less grip on the girth and stronger elastic.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Didn't suit mine, he's happiest in the Harry Dabbs shaped one.

The waffle girth? I have 6 all told and I love them (but I do cut the top layer across 4 inches down so I can pull the girth straps through like on the leather version).

I had a prolite and I thought it was stiff and unforgiving and it slipped like no girth I've ever known. It went in the bin very quickly.

Last edited:

TPO

Visit site
I personally dont like them. Mum had one for her last exracer and it's making do on the loan horse (massive standardbred) just now. The horses have seemed fine with it but I just dont like the feel.

Not a big sample field but I used a fairfax on my last exracer and there was a noticeable difference in his stride length.

I'm totally out of the loop with all the new fangled girths but I've been looking at Total Fit girths and Cinches. I've heard good things about them and they arent too spendy in comparison to some. Although now I've typed that I'm not sure of they do a short girth

ycbm

Visit site
I personally dont like them. Mum had one for her last exracer and it's making do on the loan horse (massive standardbred) just now. The horses have seemed fine with it but I just dont like the feel.

Not a big sample field but I used a fairfax on my last exracer and there was a noticeable difference in his stride length.

I'm totally out of the loop with all the new fangled girths but I've been looking at Total Fit girths and Cinches. I've heard good things about them and they arent too spendy in comparison to some. Although now I've typed that I'm not sure of they do a short girth

I'm not saying this is the case with yours TPO, and not ruling out real changes when using Fairfax, but Fairfax were assisted in the development of the girth by Centaur Biomechanics and the recommendation is to fit them with the buckle close to the bottom of the flap. Centaur say that in testing, this has made a measurable difference to stride length with all girths, not just the Fairfax.

It's surprised me how long is taking for this to trickle out into the horse community. You still see a lot of horses with buckles where the elbow will touch if the horse really strides out, and two long girth straps with a 4 to 6 inch strip of skin in a sensitive area squeezed between them.

Tarragon

Visit site
I have a strada saddle with a dressage girth on my 13hh pony. I have to have the buckles close to the saddle flap because I cannot get a shorter girth! The one I use is 20". I am searching for a short ergonomic girth and finding it difficult.

AFB

Visit site
The waffle girth? I have 6 all told and I love them (but I do cut the top layer across 4 inches down so I can pull the girth straps through like on the leather version).

I had a prolite and I thought it was stiff and unforgiving and it slipped like no girth I've ever known. It went in the bin very quickly.

Yes that's the one, although mines a long girth so no issues with straps. Came very highly recommended on here and physio has reported a much happier horse since switching.

Esyllt

Visit site
I have used it on all my horses and it has been great - but somehow I always choose cobby horses with forward girth grooves, if that helps.
That is exactly what she is, and it is a nightmare when it comes to finding stuff that suits her! Thank you for your reply

sbloom

Centaur say that in testing, this has made a measurable difference to stride length with all girths, not just the Fairfax.

Didn't need Centaur to do the research, I've personally always recommended, and was taught to use, the shortest long girth you can get done up, and the longest dressage girth that doesn't cause issues with the pad, wrinkles etc. Aids stability. What I don't do is tell everyone never to use elastic because it caused instability with the 10 elite horses and riders in the study....elastic can work in many cases, very well, just not all cases. Not a beef at you @ycbm !

Fruitcake

Visit site
Like others say, I suppose it depends on the horse. I’ve found the narrow gauge one great on one of my horses (chunky type with forward girth groove) and on OH’s old horse but it wasn’t great for another and he now has a Le Tixerant which has been great for him.

I agree they are a bit ‘hard’. I have sheepskin covers for mine. I also got sick pretty quickly of the whole washing with a brush in a bucket thing and now just shove mine in the washer on a cold wash - cover and all.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I don't have a flexi girth dressage I have a gp one on my show saddle and it definitely keeps it more stable than any other girths I have used, my friend uses one on her show pony and also says her saddle doesn't move with it.

They do dressage girths and they do an all leather version but the standard one is only £35 and I think they really do work and they are certainly not expensive.

Visit site
We use one on our Friesian and it seems to work well as he is quite sensitive. As others have said, it does need regular cleaning though as hair tends to gather along the stitching.

ycbm

Visit site
Didn't need Centaur to do the research, I've personally always recommended, and was taught to use, the shortest long girth you can get done up, and the longest dressage girth that doesn't cause issues with the pad, wrinkles etc. Aids stability. What I don't do is tell everyone never to use elastic because it caused instability with the 10 elite horses and riders in the study....elastic can work in many cases, very well, just not all cases. Not a beef at you @ycbm !

I've always done it too because I never liked the possibility of skin pinched between the girth straps. And I use elastic :) except on one horse who disliked it. I was pleased to be backed up by Centaur though.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I don't have a flexi girth dressage I have a gp one on my show saddle and it definitely keeps it more stable than any other girths I have used, my friend uses one on her show pony and also says her saddle doesn't move with it.

They do dressage girths and they do an all leather version but the standard one is only £35 and I think they really do work and they are certainly not expensive.
I’m just thinking about getting a GP one? Though there’s no way to attach a breastplate?

LegOn

Visit site
They work for some, not for others, I'm not a massive fan. There are plenty of ergonomic girths that are softer, more flexible, sit better on the back edge on something with a bigger belly. Look for a W shape but not so banana shaped, if you can borrow any girths to try that can be super helpful especially with the pricier ones.

I'm looking at the LeMieux Gel Tek Anatomic Curve for a monoflap jumping saddle - any experience or thoughts? I was able to view in it a local saddlery (didnt have my colour or size though) and it was incredibly soft which was lovely!

Also not a fan of the Prolites!

https://www.oldmillsaddlery.com/en/LeMieux-Gel--Tek-Anatomic-Curve-MonoShort-Girth/m-49002.aspx

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I'm looking at the LeMieux Gel Tek Anatomic Curve for a monoflap jumping saddle - any experience or thoughts? I was able to view in it a local saddlery (didnt have my colour or size though) and it was incredibly soft which was lovely!

Also not a fan of the Prolites!

https://www.oldmillsaddlery.com/en/LeMieux-Gel--Tek-Anatomic-Curve-MonoShort-Girth/m-49002.aspx

that looks softer than the original prolite and very curved. I’m guessing shape suit some girth grooves and not others?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I've got one available if you want it? Nothing wrong with it, perfectly fine on the (now-retired) horse, but not any better than other types of ergonomic girths, IMO.