Prospective buyers riding another horse

Goldenstar

Visit site
The best way to ensure you get riders that can cope is to ensure you are brutally honest on the telephone before the viewing about how difficult this pony is all you would have to say is that he was so difficult that he was going to shot before you bought him and most parents would head for the hills .
I hope the sale is smooth and you find the right home for the pony.

DollyPentreath

Visit site
I would say that Mary King and WFP are in a completely different league to 'miss amateur I have ridden two horses to 2* level and I am ace' and hence cannot be compared. There are many riders who could get on a horse that knows it's job and compete it. It is an entirely different rider who has shown/taught that horse it's job, a BE record will only show you who has competed it, not who has produced it.
Personally, if somebody said to me "I am xxx xxx, look at my BE record", I would think of them as the "Do you know who I am" type person and I would sack them off straight away. It is that fine line between confidence and arrogance that can so easily be overstepped :eek:

What about those who hunt regularly? They don't have a record to show but can be some of the gutsiest/sensitive riders out there.

I guess our views will just differ on this one :)

Fair enough Quirky. :)

But I would fit into the above category and I'm very proud of my record! Plus I like to think if I turned up with my trainer (who has a shiny medal for her eventing exploits) we'd be alright. But of course, that's the OPs prerogative..

@the wife, yes very interesting and generally nice natured thread, all the best with the sale! :)

The wife

Visit site
Thank you, that is exactly the frame of mind we are using. We have his full history and I have videos of him at his very worst which I am sending over with the photos and videos at his very best also and finding that this is putting most people off anyway. I am in no rush to sell him and for this reason feel we can take our time to find the perfect person to carry omn what we have started

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
As I've said, it's been a very enjoyable and interesting thread and one that hasn't gotten too bitchy ;) so thank you.

As for the 'fluffy bwunny wunny' comment... Really not necessary, however the following comments did make me chuckle. Trust me, if he hadn't had a little bit of 'bunny' handling previously he wouldn't have gotten to competing at the stage he is now and after watching one of the best NH trainers in the country talk to his best horse like a small child, if I occasionally slip with my fluffy talk, so be it ;)

My point was not that you should not talk to your horse in any manner that you feel appropriate, I say all sorts of silly things to mine, although as a teacher I don't use 'baby talk' to young children, never mind to the horses. My point was that using that kind of language/approach to talking *about* the horse, rather than to it would be likely to put serious, knowledgeable buyers off. Have you made it clear in the ad that your OH is a well-known "Natural Horsemanship" trainer?

ETA, please do enlighten us OP, how big is this animal?

turkana

Visit site
I went to view a horse & when I got there I was asked to ride another horse first, I wasn't in the least bit offended & was happy to do it.
The horse I was trying is a very sensitive mare so I understood - she's been with me for 5 years & I love her but she isn't the sort you can put anybody on, so I think they were just being sensible.
I'd have no problem doing it again.

Tnavas

Visit site
You should never ever get on a horse belonging to some one you don't know without seeing it ridden first .
I would never ever trust a stranger to make this desision for me.
I am not in a hurry when I am trying a horse although I am very decisive there's no pissing about when I buy but there is absolutely no good reason for me to waste my time assessing a second horse from the ground.
My time is short and valuable in these situations I want to get on with it.

OMG - I don't believe this! I've lost count of the times I've got on horses I've never seen ridden before!

I used to get them off the track - boss had brothers who were trainers and the horses would just arrive on the transporter!

I'd fit them with a bridle and saddle, and lunge cavesson - lunge them in the round pen and then get on them - assess their suitability.

One horse had only just arrived from one trainer when a lady interested in buying it arrived - trainer had let her know I had the horse - tacked it up, rode it in the arena and then jumped it!

Goldenstar

Visit site
That's your job it's not mine I will never ever get on a horse in a sale situation without seeing it ridden by another first.

The wife

Visit site
@pearlaslinger, the 'pony' is 16.3hh. Apologies for the confusion but as I was not writing the specific advert I really did not think it would be that important, (other than for those that genuinely thought I was selling a pony) especially as this is supposed to be a laid back, social forum. I have seen the term 'pony' used many times on this forum prior for horses that are obviously not ponys and it is really getting off the subject. Just to clear up my OH is NOT a Natural horsemanship trainer and no reference was made to this, whether it matters or not. The NH I was refering to means National hunt racing.

ETA The training methods of this horse have by no means been 'fluffy' and he knows who is leader is for sure but with all due respect that is down to us. Using a heavy hand with this chap would get you nowhere, not for a secnd that I believe you are implying this.

Last edited:

The wife

Visit site
As stated above I have seen the term used regulary to describe a horse described as a pony on this forum and have apologised accordingly to those who genuinely thought it was a pony. Come on guys, keep on the subject please the question could still be appropriate regardless of whether the animal is a horse or a pony in the same situation.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Nope, wouldn’t bother me. Just so long as the seller informed me beforehand so I could allow time if I had to be somewhere after, but no, otherwise wouldn’t bother me at all. If you are confident in your own abilities then it shouldn’t bother/worry you IMO.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
@pearlaslinger, the 'pony' is 16.3hh. Apologies for the confusion but as I was not writing the specific advert I really did not think it would be that important, (other than for those that genuinely thought I was selling a pony) especially as this is supposed to be a laid back, social forum. I have seen the term 'pony' used many times on this forum prior for horses that are obviously not ponys and it is really getting off the subject. Just to clear up my OH is NOT a Natural horsemanship trainer and no reference was made to this, whether it matters or not. The NH I was refering to means National hunt racing.

ETA The training methods of this horse have by no means been 'fluffy' and he knows who is leader is for sure but with all due respect that is down to us. Using a heavy hand with this chap would get you nowhere, not for a secnd that I believe you are implying this.

I have a habit of calling all horses 'ponies' especially when they are naughty.

Its obviously a horrid habit and I should stop it at once ;)

Its not as bad as my tendancy to address every horse as 'boy' regardless of gender - as in 'good boy' 'bad boy' or 'silly boy'

oops.

Goldenstar

Visit site

Its not as bad as my tendancy to address every horse as 'boy' regardless of gender - as in 'good boy' 'bad boy' or 'silly boy'

oops.
Call your horse a pony by all means just don't do it on the first post about selling a horse .

Arizahn

Visit site

oops.

I keep on calling mine a dog...

OP, I think it's a good idea to see them ride first, and good on you for being honest! Although I wouldn't view him, as by the description he would be completely wrong for me, I would appreciate the candour.

Jenni_

www.facebook.com
Call your horse a pony by all means just don't do it on the first post about selling a horse .

Does it really atter though? Regardless if what she was selling is a horse /pony / mule the question was still the same.

She wasn't trying to sell the horse/pony to us therefore description didn't really matter to the point of grim details....

Mongoose11

Visit site
I read 'stressage horse' whether it said 'stressage pony' or not. I took it to be used in the context of Hho where we often call our horses pony.

Most things get called 'dog' by me. My horse is often a 'bad dog' as is my nephew, my sister doesn't like it :)

Last edited by a moderator:

imr

Visit site
I think I would be a little offended, tbh, but not fatally so. But that may be because I wouldn't sit on a horse without seeing it ridden, I would take a trainer and wouldn't get on the horse if they thought I was not up to it, or I thought I wasn't, and I would have asked for a video first. I honestly agree with Goldenstar that if you make it very clear in your advert the horse is not straightforward and then discuss with each potential buyer and send videos you will weed out a lot of people for whom the horse is unsuitable anyway.
When I bought mine a couple of years ago, I did see a video of a super horse which was described as being very sharp. It was with a pro and whilst I really liked it, I was concerned it was too sharp. I asked a friend of mine who is a pro and has ridden GP and knows my riding to go and see the horse and let me know what she thought becasue I was concerned it sounded very sharp. She saw it, called me and said to me not to bother, lovely horse but super sharp, the pro had literally not dared move or put his leg on it for the first 15 minutes and she just thought it was unsuitable. So, I didnt go and try it. I'm not a novice or a numpty and I did end up with a horse which had the longest ever vile teenager tantrum phase - she's coming good now but to give you some perspective, my trainer loves her and thinks she is great but in our yard, other than me, only he and the two riders who work for him would ride her - every single one of the other liveries has said to me "your mare is lovely but I would not want one like that or similar". So, I can cope with something reasonably difficult, but I would not overface myself. I think I said to everyone I called "the horse must be suitable for an amateur to take to shows alone etc, ride in the morning before work in the cold and dark with noone else around".

Last edited:

MissSBird

Visit site
I've been pondering this a little. I totally see where you're coming from, and it sounds like a good idea for this type of horse. However, if I was buying, it would put me off. I get very nervous when people watch me riding, particularly if I feel if my abilities are being judged. I think I'd back right away because it would make me feel completely uncomfortable. I would assume I'd never be good enough for you because I'm not a perfect rider, and walk away without viewing.

But, as such, I personally wouldn't be looking to buy this horse. I imagine a competitive, confident rider wouldn't have such an issue with it. So it sounds like it could be a very useful method of weeding out both those who have the skills required for a tricky boy, and those who have the confidence/personality required for him as well.

The one thing I would say is to tell people before they come to view. If I travelled for hours not knowing this was your intention, it could cause quite an aggravating situation.

Ginge Crosby

Visit site
If I was informed well before the viewing (i.e during first contact or when arranging a viewing) that i'd need to ride another horse before getting on the one for sale, I'd be able to make the decision if I want to be trying or buying this kind of horse, I probably wouldn't be offended at that stage. But if I'd driven however many miles to view said horse, only to arrive and be told i'd be 'interviewed' before riding the horse I wanted to view, i'd be more than a little offended and probably get back in my car and drive home.

So provided it's done tactfully, and should any potential buyers not be up to the mark on the quiet horse also be told this in a tactful manner, I can't see it being a problem.

mtj

Visit site
I think I have already seen an advertisement for this horse, and was left in no doubt of the vendor's clearness. Certainly left me running to the hills :).

As others have mentioned, as long as potential purchasers are advised that they will be required to demonstrate that they do have the skills to ride this horse, then a serious purchaser can have no objection. Also agree that competition results can be very misleading.

cbmcts

Visit site
While I'll never be in the market for a horse like this due to a general lack of ability :eek: I can see the OPs point.

There are a lot of people out there who have a much higher opinion of their abilities than is justified. Yes they may have been riding since they were 5 but it was on nice, sane, sensible ponies that their parents picked well and probably paid a lot of money for. Or the lucky ones managed to get a schoolmaster type as adults and now have outgrown their abilities and have the funds to buy something with potential. They have no idea that they aren't up to the quirky, sensitive competition horse that quite frankly, probably would have been shot if it wasn't so talented (Sorry OP :eek:, not meaning to be rude). That is a whole different league of ability.

I do think that you would be reasonable to ask to see their abilities before they get on the other horse, no doubt it will offend some but it may be better for your boy even if it takes you longer to sell. Your horse, your call really.

The wife

Visit site
@cbmts, you are indeed right, if he was a run of the mill riding club horse, with no breeding to shout of, he would have been shot for sure, hell, I'd have done it myself, he just would not have been worth the hassle to be honest! And what you have said about abilities in my eyes is perfectly correct also :)

@Mjt... I'm glad that we have left no doubt in a buyers eyes as to what market we were aiming him at, it still hasn't stopped somebody phoning up asking whether he would be suitable for a 14YO daughter who has ridden all the naughty riding school ponies but that goes back to over estimating abilities again and as somebody else has said earlier in the post I think sometimes parents are worse than adults! :)

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Funnily enough, when I first read this thread last week I thought "Oh god no, how fussy!" then I realised that I have been doing exactly that with people coming to try my horse re sharing her!! My excuse is that we don't have a school, we have to hack 15 minutes to one, so I ride my sharper mare up, and put the other person on my husband's laid back horse, who won't be awkward if you don't bother him! I do this more for their safety than out of worry for the horse. I can't imagine how ten minutes with someone that can't ride her properly would ruin all her schooling. When my husband first rode her, many years ago, he hadn't ridden for ten years, and he squeezed her á la riding school horse, and she went off from walk to canter with him out of control. She cantered round and round for five minutes, doing a wonderful flying change at one point, because she had no idea what he was asking and he was too wobbly to pull her up. I learned that day that she is not as easy as I thought. He went off to a riding school for a couple of months to get going, then rode her fine in the future. I have to say that she was exactly as normal, working well, when I got back on her after her "little blast" with him. No harm had been done. I would be a bit worried about the schooling levels of something that would be harmed by someone novice on them for five minutes. Most "not novice" horses would do more harm to the rider than themselves.

hnmisty

Visit site
I can see both sides... for the seller, it would be a good idea. Personally, it would put me off- but then I wouldn't look at a horse of this kind of ability. If the owner of the type of horse I was looking at asked me to ride something else first, I'd think they were a completely overprotective ninny, and would be scared of them watching everything I did over my shoulder even once I bought their horse.

The only thing I can think of is to ask the interested person to submit a video of their riding? TBH, I'd be pretty miffed if I agreed to ride something else first, drove all the way to look at the horse, and then wasn't allowed on. that's a lot of effort to be refused. But if I sent a vid of me riding and got a reply back saying "thanks for you interest but *insert nice excuse*, I'd be a bit gutted but it would have taken less effort.

I also wouldn't want to get stuck in arguments with the clueless parents who think their little darlings are the Next Big Thing :p

montanna

Visit site
The only time I would consider this is if it was a large yard where I was viewing several at once.

Otherwise no, they either want to sell the horse or not!

spacefaer

Visit site
I went to see a fabulous dressage horse about 10 yrs ago - the vendor said he was sharp and I was even keener as I was re routing my career From eventing and didn't want anything dull. She put me on 2 other horses in ascending order of unploddiness before I was offered the one I'd gone to see.

I didn't mind - she had no one to show him off so she was being cautious as he was super sharp. i loved every second I rode him! And boy could he spin!

Last edited: