PSD diagnosis

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
No problem, I found it so helpful hearing peoples experiences and advice :)

That sounds about the same as my boy although his lameness was graded up to 1/10! but only on a tight circle. You could not see it on concrete or anything. To be honest I could never really see it and I think I am quite good as usually spotting if they look off or not. He just kind of looked like a baby just backed to me (which he was!) just a tad stiff on a circle but what I would have expected. Oh well, I think I will never understand it lol, I just hope it has worked.

Yes I would do that before her op, you really wont achieve anything keeping her in until Thursday. My boy’s PSD was bilateral, it was mainly in right hind. Spooky really as everyone who has experienced this issue has said right hind! not one left hind yet!!!!

I am sure she will be fine, good luck with her op Thursday and let us know how she gets on! Where is she having it done?

Yes the process is ok I think, it is usually 4 weeks box rest followed by 4 weeks in hand then you can get on after that and start building up the riding over time. But because my horse is a total div to ride, surgeon added on another 4 weeks before we can get on (as he is very likely to have a dramatic spook or bolt). But I would imagine by Spring they will both be in normal work. I hope so as it is then showing season. One thing I was worried about actually as I do breed showing with him, but you can not even see the scars!

The only problem I had was that after a few days of being home he stopped eating for days and days and was being silly (like piaffe-ing whilst tied up!). But then his staples were removed and bandages came off and he completely changed literally from that minute. So it was because his wounds had healed and the staples were then uncomfy and irritating for him so he was being silly (he likes to be over dramatic about everything my horse!!). Also you might find bandages fall down all the time! Vet had to change his every other day or sometimes everyday as he likes to lay down all the time. But other than that all has been good. I started hand walking last Thursday for x2 10 mins per day which he seems to be enjoying (with the occasional excitement burst every now and then!)

Yes my boy is insured too, thank goodness.

Has your physio seen your mare? You might find that surprising as she might have been over compensating elsewhere because of her PSD. My horses physio was shocked by how sore he was top to tail. With how little lame he was you just wouldn’t expect it but he was terrible she said, she showed me differences in his body from either side. Fascinating. She is coming out to see him this Thursday to give him some pysio (as she last saw him about 7 weeks ago I think, before his op). Will be interesting to see if he is any better now he can not feel the issue anymore.

I find it frustrating not knowing still whether the op has worked or not. As you do not know until they are back in full work again. So it is a waiting game!! I am impatient haha.

Good luck again and hope all goes well :)

xxx

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Congrats on finally having a sound horse, mine is due to go in at the end of the month and then hopefully we can start riding! My insurance company has also finally agreed to pay for it after disputing and trying to wriggle out of paying out, mental note DO NOT insure with NFU again!

lcharles

Visit site
Hi Spanish Neddy,

My mare is doing good thanks. Hows yours now? x

Scirocco is being re-assessed on the 19th January, think she will then start pyshiotherapy if she needs it as the vet thinks she may be sore over her back due to compensating for her bad leg x Hopefully i can start riding her out then! x

On new Years day she coliced - not too badly luckily but got cast again the wall and used her back legs to get back over again!! Mega cringe moment!! x Her legs were slightly swollen but she seems to be better now. Shes now moved into a pen which is twice the size of her stable so she has a bit more space before hopefully being allowed out in the field!! x

How many times did the psyhio come out to you? x

Bet you was soo chuffed when he was sound!! x i think i'll cry when/if we get that moment!! X

Hows riding him going? x

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Thanks all :)

Laafet - good luck I'm sure all will be well. Keep me updated!! why on earth would NFU not orignally cover your horse? they are usually very good. I used to be with NFU but they annoyed me last year over a form so I moved to KBIS! I must say KBIS are fabulous, they pay within a day or two of me sending them an invoice! they also paid the hospital direct for the actual operation. So move to them when you can.

ICharles - vet looked at him today and he is sound, so pleased. As he has been a monkey and messing around a lot in walking (but fine overall). Good luck for 19th I hope she is ok. Sorry she had colic but good she is fine now though. I haven't ridden my one yet! he is tricky to ride anyway so surgeon gave me a different plan with him than is usual. So from tomorrow for 1 week I now turn out in the school for a bit, then lunge in evening. Then next week we can get on!!!

lcharles

Visit site
Awww how exciting!! x bet you cant wait to ride him! x

I'm with KBIS as well and they have been amazing! x Couldnt recommend them enough! x

I think my mare has been a little short behind on her one leg but i think thats from where she got stuck against the wall!! She also put her foot through the tack box in her stable so dont think that helped but she seems to be alot better now! x Can't wait to get jumping again with her!! x

When will your chap be back on for turnout then? x My gelding jumped out his field yesterday with the other mare so good job shes not out there too as she would of followed!! Naughty horses! x

Sciroccos been a bit daft walking down the lanes and took to rearing at every car going past but i think its her celebration dance to show her back legs are ok now!! lol x Chifney on and she's ok!! x

What do you plan on doing with yours when he's back to normal then? Hes quite young still anyway isnt he? x

SpanishNeddy

Visit site
Well the livery yard I am at closes the fields for a few months over winter and they closed last week. So wont be open til March now. They go out in the schools (as there are 3 of them) in groups daily. But my boy wont as he is naughty in a field anyway let alone if there isnt anything to eat! he will just prance around and rear at everything lol. he likes playing my horse!!
So he will go on single turn out.

Hehe has she, I think you are right though. My boy has found out what bucking is since his new legs!!!!

Yes he is only 6, but backed as a 5 year old so more like 3 year old to ride. He will do breed showing and dressage once all is ok again :)
Bet you can not wait to jump your girl again, you should be back up and running by spring!! so not far for us :)

carterk3

Visit site
Its comforting to hear all of these stories - my horses story is so similar to everyone on here. My horse (rt hind too) has been lame since October. She has been in a small pen since that time with no improvement. She had only been in work a few months after being turned away last Xmas after being backed.

She has had numerous nerve blocks, x-rays and scans. She has a huge amount of muscle wastage on her right hind quarter and an unlevel pelvis. I too have been down the Roger Meacock route. He found my horse was very stiff through her back and after two sessions with him seemed much looser in her back but is still lame.

My vet has now suggested an osteopath to see if they can do something with her pelvis. Can anyone on her suggest one rather than a physio?

Also hope you don't mind me asking how much does the operation cost and how much of your horses leg can they still feel? i want to make sure that I there is sufficient money left on my insurance to pay for surgery if necessary.

carterk3

Visit site
thanks so much for the reply. I've looked at Jose's website but it doesn't say where he's based. Do you know whereabouts he is. We are in Wiltshire.