PTS a feral pony - best way?

Peglo

Visit site
this is just so sad, confirms the throw away society that we live in, at least try and tame him and if successful let him live as a companion, rather than just kill him, makes me shudder and think of a slaughter house, condemn me if you like for my feelings, but at least i can sleep straight at night and have no arguments with God, poor pony

this thread also made me sad. But absolutely not because of SEL’s decision for the pony she has now. The pony doesn’t have a companion he’s bonded with, scared of humans and therefore dangerous to people and himself, he cannot be given the care a domestic horse needs without stress and doesn’t want to be worked with. OP has said they’ve tried to work with him but it’s not working and made the best decision for the circumstances. You’ve been very unfair in your comment.

SO1

Visit site
Yes very sad but also unfair on the OP. This is not a pony she bought she inherited as a tenant of a field. She has tried but not everyone has the skillset to take on feral pony and tame it or the set up, or the finances to pay for someone to help. It is not like she can easily box it up and send it to a trainer.

this is just so sad, confirms the throw away society that we live in, at least try and tame him and if successful let him live as a companion, rather than just kill him, makes me shudder and think of a slaughter house, condemn me if you like for my feelings, but at least i can sleep straight at night and have no arguments with God, poor pony

TwyfordM

Visit site
No advice but what a horrible situation to be in.
I think if I was in your shoes I’d be looking into getting him used to being penned off in a smallish area for a feed and ringing round zoo etc to find someone trained to pts large dangerous animals.
My own mare runs through sedation too quickly for it to be useful in a situation like this, but thankfully IV works if she’s calm beforehand (which this pony will never be) so I wouldn’t go down that route unless pony could be darted like you see with the zoo animals etc

I only have one option for my mare if I can no longer keep her unfortunately

SEL

Visit site
Thank you to all of you who have supported. For the person who thinks I'm 'throwing away a pony' I have 2 retirees and a pony who I paid for an expensive operation for and can only be lightly worked, so I am definitely not in the throw away when it doesn't suit me category. One of my retirees came to me as a dangerous horse who was about to be shot so I know the effort and training that needs to go into horses like this - which is also why I know I am out of my depth.

This pony is dangerous (& verging on laminitic too) and for the safety of everyone who comes into my fields needs to be euthanised as peacefully and as safely as I can possibly make it. His fight or flight response is pretty deep and he doesn't really want to engage with humans much past having his feed bowl put over the fence. I feel a sense of achievement in that he let me scratch behind his ears and put the headcollar on the other day, but I can sense his anxiety even with that and I'm careful around him. Others might not be as careful and it isn't fair on farriers, vets etc for me to risk their safety. I'm painfully aware that our responsibility to horses isn't keeping them alive no matter what.

I'm going to speak to the lady who owns the very elderly cob so we can come up with a joint plan. She knows this is the answer, but I also know she feels a sense of responsibility because the pony belonged to a friend of hers. I'm conscious that she is in her 70s and has said herself that she isn't as quick on her feet around him as she used to be. I don't want her trying to help and getting injured.

There's some really good ideas there and I've dropped a line to my normal vets explaining the situation and asking what they've done in the past. I'm more than happy to pay for a zoo vet and tranquiliser and also to create a 'safe space' to feed the boy in where hopefully we can then PTS quietly. The hunts around here are very male dominated when it comes to shooting, but I shall ask around discretely to see if there are any females.

Thank you again - its a very, very sad situation.

SEL

Visit site
The female crematorium owner mentioned by Pearlsasinger does cover a very wide area (obviously with a cost implication) and is, in my experience, superb. I think she would be a very worthwhile having a conversation with. Google Yorkshire Equine Crematorium. If she cannot help you personally, she may well be able to recommend someone closer and will certainly give advice on the handling side of things.
Thanks - she might know someone closer

poacher82

Visit site
SEL, I feel for you. Our local knackerman is licensed to shoot with a rifle - unfortunately I have witnessed him do so in a very similar situation with an aged feral pony (couldn't even get a hand on him, let along a rope). It was a case of giving the pony a pile of carrots near to the fence and then when he stood still and put his head down, the very skilled professional did his job in a split second. The pony knew nothing other than carrots, it was instant. I don't know if all knackers can provide this service but I would try yours.
Good luck, I hope all goes as well as possible.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Nothing to add to the suggestions already made but you are doing the very best you can for this unfortunate pony. I fully understand where you are coming from having had to PTS a large TB who aged 10 while not feral was heading in that direction despite having been handled from a very early age and rideable for about 5 years but on the ground was becoming more and more unpredictable. Having been injured twice and put on the ground a few times I decided he was not going to be safe as a field ornament. I used http://www.equinebereavementservices.co.uk/ebs_home.htm who was excellent. He might be able to help you find an appropriate person to help in these particular circumstances.

chaps89

Visit site
These people sound like they might be able to put you in touch with the right person?
https://www.equine-endoflife.co.uk/about-us/
Failing that, the lady I bought my old mare from does a lot of work with the police and feral/abandoned horses, she’s more Sussex way but I’d be surprised if she couldn’t recommend a marksman or dart trained person if you wanted me to get in touch with her to find out for her.
I think you’re absolutely doing the right thing in the circumstances but I’m sure even if it’s an inherited horse it’s still not a decision that’s easy or taken lightly so well done

Milliechaz

Visit site
We have a guy locally who is a marksman and can shoot from a distance however he does need a backstop of some sort ie something for the bullet to go in to as it will go through the animal so will have to be stopped by a wall or something similar. I only know from experience as i had a horse pts last year who we couldn't get near a vet. As it happens i didn't have anything we could use as a backstop (other than our house and we weren't keen on that) so as only i could get a head collar on the horse, the vet put a sedative on the end of a pole and jabbed him in the hindquarters while hiding round a corner so the horse didn't see him. Far from ideal (although it did actually go very smoothly other than the needle bending the 1st time we tried so we had to do it a 2nd time). Once he was sedated enough for the vet to get near him, he was finished in the sand school. I feel for you, the trauma i went through in my own mind trying to find a way to carry the procedure out was horrendous. We are based in Lancashire

deb_l222

Visit site
ACP tablets in his food to have him sufficiently sedated to then do domosedan under the tongue.
Then a skilled knacker man.

This seems the most sensible and least intrusive advice, assuming you can get pony to eat a feed or jam sandwich etc with the first dose of sedation. Good luck with whatever you decide.

SEL

Visit site
Just wanted to add my voice of support to you @SEL and just to say I admire your courage and determination to do the right thing.
Thank you. Have to say it doesn't feel courageous but I do know it is the right thing before someone gets hurt. If we could turn back time then I'm sure he'd have made a nice pony for someone but he's had 15 years of stuffing his face in a field so it's not been a bad life!

Really do appreciate the support everyone - I feel pretty miserable about it really

Trouper

Visit site
Please try not to feel too miserable. The fact that you are trying to find the very best way to do such a horrible job speaks volumes about your love of horses.
At some cost to yourself you are showing him the greatest kindness and I hope you find the best solution soon.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Thank you. Have to say it doesn't feel courageous but I do know it is the right thing before someone gets hurt. If we could turn back time then I'm sure he'd have made a nice pony for someone but he's had 15 years of stuffing his face in a field so it's not been a bad life!

Really do appreciate the support everyone - I feel pretty miserable about it really

Do not mentally beat yourself up, as you say he has happily been stuffing his feral face with periodic Chifney involved farrier visits. Sadly on a public forum there will always be a smartarse or a critisiser I am sure that you will find a solution. I suspect a skilled marksman and rifle will be the least stressful for the pony but not for yourself. When my TB was shot I could not bear to hold but watched from a bedroom widow, he went with his ears pricked and a mouth full of sugar lumps. That is my memory of him and I am glad of it despite the injuries and frustrations he placed in my/our way.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
sounds like you will do the very best for the pony. i would think he may panic if darted and this may not be the best way. feeding him a load of carrots and getting a marksman to shoot from a distance would mean the pony would know nothing as long as it was a clean shot. deer are often shot when the herd needs culling and there are people who are experts so i think that would be the best way if you can find the right person.. good luck with however you decide to go ahead..

Maryann

Visit site
A neighbour had an old feral Shetland stallion that went very aggressive not long after his companion died. We fed him in a pen for a bit and then a huntsman came out and dispatched him in a very low key way while he was still eating and his head was still in the bucket. We did it this way as we thought it was the kindest, and safest, thing to do.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Round pen panels to run him into a coral with feed. Sorry it sounds like a challenging time but you are doing your best for him. If closer to the forest I could have recommended people to assist you.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site

I thought this, he's 17, so clearly someone has managed with him all these years now he's just an it, with an owner looking to kill him ASAP.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I thought this, he's 17, so clearly someone has managed with him all these years now he's just an it, with an owner looking to kill him ASAP.

If you read and understand the thread, you will see that the pony does not have an owner. It really is wise to read and digest before making crass comments which can be very hurtful and are certainly not needed.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
^^^^ Ignore another smart arse comment from someone who has clearly not read the full thread :rolleyes:.

jh, you should be ashamed of yourself for posting that emotive cr@p.
Excuse me but I was replying to some one else not the op.

A public forum, where people have different opinions and are totally entitled to them.

I am not ashamed of myself for my post. Just to be clear.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Nothing to add to the suggestions already made but you are doing the very best you can for this unfortunate pony. I fully understand where you are coming from having had to PTS a large TB who aged 10 while not feral was heading in that direction despite having been handled from a very early age and rideable for about 5 years but on the ground was becoming more and more unpredictable. Having been injured twice and put on the ground a few times I decided he was not going to be safe as a field ornament. I used http://www.equinebereavementservices.co.uk/ebs_home.htm who was excellent. He might be able to help you find an appropriate person to help in these particular circumstances.

This is who came to collect Ari. I would second the recommendation if it’s close to you.

Whilst he didn’t pts (our vet did), he was absolutely brilliant and incredibly sensitive about the removal. I was doing that “brave” thing where you’re about half a second off complete collapse but still smiling.

Just from his demeanor and compassion, I wouldn’t hesitate to have him come out to PTS, and apparently he is well known to be very reliable in that scenario.

SEL

Visit site
He's just been left in a field, if he'd been managed then he'd have a home with his previous owner or one of her family. Hasn't seen a vet since he was gelded at 2, I've just wormed him for the first time, farrier was persuaded to do feet a couple of times a year but would prefer not to and who am I to risk an injury to another person? I wouldn't stick my head near his back legs to rasp his hooves.

It's a difficult situation. No one can turn the clock back and change the last 15 years. I have field pets and if he was safe he'd be joining them.

SEL

Visit site
This is who came to collect Ari. I would second the recommendation if it’s close to you.

Whilst he didn’t pts (our vet did), he was absolutely brilliant and incredibly sensitive about the removal. I was doing that “brave” thing where you’re about half a second off complete collapse but still smiling.

Just from his demeanor and compassion, I wouldn’t hesitate to have him come out to PTS, and apparently he is well known to be very reliable in that scenario.
Thanks. He does cover my area so I'll have a read