PTS a feral pony - best way?

Annagain

Visit site
Well done. It's always horrible when the best thing all round is such a difficult thing to do, even without the extra stress his circumstances caused. It sounds like it went as well as it could have.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sounds like you and the vets gave him a good end, well done for taking such time care and effort to make it as humane as possible

Glad to hear that old cob is doing well

Berpisc

Visit site
I wasn't sure whether to update this thread because I know some people disagreed with me, but there were a lot of you who were incredibly supportive and I really want to thank you for that.

I was happy to let the situation play out and try and work with my little feral pony, but as winter set it it became obvious that I couldn't safely overcome some of his ingrained habits and with no daylight he wasn't getting any consistent contact apart from food being put in the field. On top of that it was blindingly obvious his teeth were causing problems, he wasn't sound behind (degenerative suspensory disease) and without the distraction of grass to eat was getting more and more unpleasant to be around. Should have got on with it before Xmas, but was worried about the old cob and not wanting him to go downhill during the holiday period, so called time 2 weeks ago.

Old cob saw him go and was obviously a little distressed then but calmed down very quickly and is a lot more relaxed than I was ever expecting. I think he doesn't like sharing his food and can eat at his own pace. He can still talk to everyone over the fence and looks happier than I've seen him - which is a relief. He's also able to eat a lot more now he isn't competing with a greedy native.

Couldn't fault the vets from the moment I called them and explained the tricky situation. Took my OH and I over an hour to get the pony into a stable with buckets of food, but once he was in the vet got sedative in IM over the door and then it was just a case of waiting. We did have the removal team turn up with the gun just in case but it wasn't needed.

I keep reminding myself that he had 15 odd years as a lawnmower and has no idea that he could have made someone a very nice pony if his life had played out differently. In the end he was gorging himself on a likit and never even felt the sedative go in so it was as peaceful for him as it was ever going to be.
Thank you for the update, you did the best you could for him and he was lucky that you are such a kind and thoughtful person. Also glad the old cob is having a good time.

Merrymoles

Visit site
Didn't see this thread originally but just want to say that I am pleased you were able to sort it without any additional stress.

I would also like to say that this thread demonstrates that many owners, like yourself SEL, are responsible and caring and will make difficult decisions when they are necessary.

Surbie

Visit site
Thanks for the update, it sounds like he went calm & happy and that's the most we can ask for. Well done on managing it so well and glad your old boy isn't too distressed over it.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Thank you for the update. A comment you made in another thread made me think it had happened but I did not want to ask. It sounds like it all went very smoothly with minimal distress for the pony which I know you were worried by. It is great to hear the cob is happy and relaxed now.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
this is just so sad, confirms the throw away society that we live in, at least try and tame him and if successful let him live as a companion, rather than just kill him, makes me shudder and think of a slaughter house, condemn me if you like for my feelings, but at least i can sleep straight at night and have no arguments with God, poor pony
it makes me worry that one day my own old boy will loose his best friend because someone will have enough of his companion and have him shot.

Supertrooper

Visit site
You loved him enough to let him go in the place he knew, with the people he knew

It was done in a kind way with as little stress as possible

You have absolutely nothing to blame yourself for x

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
[Deleted content quoted removed]
[Content removed]

SEL is the most caring horse owner, who always goes over and above for every horse in her care. But if you'd read the full thread rather than jump in with your vindictive and ridiculous comments you'd know that, wouldn't you.

OP, thanks for the update. I'm glad that it went as well as it could.

SEL

Visit site
[Content removed]

SEL is the most caring horse owner, who always goes over and above for every horse in her care. But if you'd read the full thread rather than jump in with your vindictive and ridiculous comments you'd know that, wouldn't you.

OP, thanks for the update. I'm glad that it went as well as it could.
Thank you. Think the other poster missed the hind leg lameness and rotten teeth along with the poor lad's lack of handling. This was actually the first PTS where I haven't had a single regret / doubt / what-if moment which isn't like me.

Plus his companion is now thriving which does make me feel sad. We always want them to have companionship but they can't tell us that they'd rather choose a different friend. He's put on weight in just a fortnight and is spending his days flirting over the fence with my Appy.