PTS a feral pony - best way?

misst

Visit site
Not sure how I missed this but what a lucky horse. It must have been hard but surely the knowledge that he had a caring dignified end must help. I congratulate you on your patience and your thoughtfulness for this poor horse.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Cant you just leave the feral pony out on its own if the other horse is brought in, it might be fine with it. And just leave it in the field? I personally wouldnt PTS if its perfectly healthy otherwise and just living out its days keeping the other horse company.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Cant you just leave the feral pony out on its own if the other horse is brought in, it might be fine with it. And just leave it in the field? I personally wouldnt PTS if its perfectly healthy otherwise and just living out its days keeping the other horse company.
Read post #117

Sometimes its worth reading the whole thread before commenting......

babymare

Visit site
Read the posts . SEL went above and beyond for this weee feral pony.

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
For no fault of her own, SEL suddenly found herself stranded with an oldish pony who had had 17 years of experience in being a feral, almost unhandled pony, with both tooth problems, and a not sound behind problem due to degenerative suspensory disease. A pony who became even more unpleasant to be around during Winter (possibly also Autumn?) due to there being less grass for him to spend his days eating, with very strong fight or flight instincts, who easily panicked, and therefore to me sounded quite unpredictable, and on top of that, had a habit of kicking with intent.

SEL tried, and realised that this pony's problems where out of her league, that sounds fully understandable to me. I doubt that there is that many persons who would've been able to truly solve all of his problems.
Just take the last problem I listed above. Horses are dangerous enough as it is, dealing with one who has developed a habit of kicking with intent, how many of us is capable of actually fixing such a problem so that you would be able to trust that he wouldn't do that again?
I'm sure that there are those who are capable of completely solving even such problems, but I doubt they're in a majority.

It was nice to be updated, and to hear that everything after all went as smoothly as possible in the end. I can totally understand SEL's reasons to want to wait until after Christmas, due to not wanting to risk the posibility of the other horse involved going downhill during the holiday.
But, if it hadn't been for SEL, how many more months or years would that poor pony had have to go through before someone else finally said enough is enough?

I'm sure there's people who has failed that pony through the years, but it sure wasn't SEL.

{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}} to you SEL if you read this.

HackWithMe

Visit site
Can you try oral sedation before the vet gets there? Dermosedan is good stuff, but I don't think you can add it to feed.
If the pony hasn’t been handled much domosedan probably won’t be best as it has to be given under the tongue for 30 seconds so it can absorb it otherwise it doesn’t work. It’s fairly difficult for a well handled horse let alone a feral one, a dart may be better? Less stressful for you at least

AandK

Visit site
If the pony hasn’t been handled much domosedan probably won’t be best as it has to be given under the tongue for 30 seconds so it can absorb it otherwise it doesn’t work. It’s fairly difficult for a well handled horse let alone a feral one, a dart may be better? Less stressful for you at least

I'd definitely recommend reading the whole thread ;)

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
Why oh why do people insist on commenting without reading from post 1 on a thread! :confused:It happens so often and can inadvertently lead to misinterpreting a situation, misjudging a poster and in some cases potentially very, very distressing and hurtful to the original poster.

Don't be so bone idle, if you want to give the benefit of your vast knowledge then have the courtesy to at least read the entire thread......obviously not a couple of the loooooong threads that have been going for ever, but even then if you take the trouble to read back about half a dozen pages you will get the correct gist of the thread.

Disagree if you wish and have a differing opinion on any thread, but at least read the thread first!!!!

For what its worth SEL you made a very tough decision and dealt with it in the very best way you possibly could for the pony, lucky pony to have come into your life, but very hard on you.