PTS Cost Quick Question

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
i recently paid approx £300 incl a full price visit.
broke down to 65 to actually euthanise horse
drugs inc sedation about £155
IV injection 12
visit 66.

Collection was free as he went to the vet school.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I paid £345 including VAT. This was for an emergency Sunday call out and the PTS part, but that was a while ago. He was taken the following day for cremation, but that was through a private company.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I can't remember exactly but I think my most recent PTS bill was in the region of £500... but that included two out of hours visits and various drugs tried to make her better etc. Scheduled would be cheaper.

Fransurrey

Visit site
All in it came to about £600. Including call-out, pts and transport to vet school. Looking above it's obviously more expensive in Surrey (quelle surprise).

meleeka

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I thought the bill was expensive £450 excluding disposal and not an emergency.

Ah well, it’s only money ….

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I thought the bill was expensive £450 excluding disposal and not an emergency.

Ah well, it’s only money ….

I saw a friend's bill on her kitchen table several years back now and it was a scheduled call out in normal hours with plenty of notice and I was shocked to see it was almost £400. Collection was separate at another £170.

SEL

Visit site
Vet bill just under £300 and then about £200 removal - back in January.

Mine was possibly a little more expensive because although it was a planned visit we had to sedate IM over the door and wait before we could sedate IV. Tricky situation but the vet was amazing.

Sorry to hear you lost yours though.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Sorry to hear you lost one Meleeka.
Gosh isn’t it expensive! I don’t remember it being that much.
My neighbour did my last one to be fair and she charged £320 as I recall about 18 mth/2 years ago. That included X-rays.

Nb, neighbour is a vet (!!) but not the vet I use. I just called her in a panic!

skint1

Visit site
Had my dear boy pts in Feb. Just looking at bill:
Euthenasia by injection £180
Sedation (2 types) £21.31
Collection and disposal £336
.5 visit (someone else needed vet same day, different purpose) £18. 00
Total £555.31 and that was with 10% discount with Horse Heath Club.

I couldn't afford an individual cremation, and I am not a big one for spreading ashes anyway. I took some of his tail and my daughter is going to get me a pendant with his hair and my mare's that I lost a few years back.

meleeka

Visit site
did they give you a breakdown? I can clearly see on my bill the 2 x lots of sedative required and how much

Callout £49
Euthanasia, 1 x 50ml Somilose, 0.30 x 10ml Domidine, 0.30 x 10ml Butador £395

I’m just a bit surprised at how much it’s gone up. It was quite a few years ago but the last time I had it done it was under £300 Im sure because with cremation from the fallen stock man it was around £500.

OH sorted the collection and when they asked if he wanted a wooden casket he just agreed as he wasn’t sure, so the cremation is another £550. That’s nearly £1k in total ?

I still have 3 OAP’s so I hope they don’t all decide to go one after the other!

Last edited:
Visit site
I had 2 pts in 2020. Jeff - vet came out out of hours weekday. Looked him over, presumed acute liver failure (he was right as rain in the morning, like he was heavily sedated by 6pm) vet offered me this drug and that drug at £2-300 to give him another 12-14 HOURS! I also utterly disguted with her! And so he was pts there and then. That bill was £750 for vets, £325 for removal by a different company.

Flint chocked, had an early morning out of hours weekday call out, couldn't clear the blockage so he went into the vets so they could tube and use a scope at the same time. Still hadnt shifted by lunch time. They rang me at 4.30pm to say there was nothing more they could do and could I give them permission to pts. I said no not until I had said goodbye, they said not possible due to covid etc. Then they finally agreed when I wouldn't back down. I had had him for 19 years he wasn't going without me saying goodbye. Went in to see him and found out why they didn't want me there. His nasal cavities had been completely destroyed by tubes. That bill came to £900 in total including disposal.

Go figure - one was a 17.2hh tb done at home, the other was a shetland who went in to the surgery for the day, had more done and didn't cost that much more.

I don't use those vets any more and neither do a lot of people because of their ridiculous ott pricing.

And the fact that I got my bills 48 hours after via email with the final line of - payment is required in full as soon as possible, we are struggling with covid and need the finances.

Reactions: TPO

meleeka

Visit site
I had 2 pts in 2020. Jeff - vet came out out of hours weekday. Looked him over, presumed acute liver failure (he was right as rain in the morning, like he was heavily sedated by 6pm) vet offered me this drug and that drug at £2-300 to give him another 12-14 HOURS! I also utterly disguted with her! And so he was pts there and then. That bill was £750 for vets, £325 for removal by a different company.

Flint chocked, had an early morning out of hours weekday call out, couldn't clear the blockage so he went into the vets so they could tube and use a scope at the same time. Still hadnt shifted by lunch time. They rang me at 4.30pm to say there was nothing more they could do and could I give them permission to pts. I said no not until I had said goodbye, they said not possible due to covid etc. Then they finally agreed when I wouldn't back down. I had had him for 19 years he wasn't going without me saying goodbye. Went in to see him and found out why they didn't want me there. His nasal cavities had been completely destroyed by tubes. That bill came to £900 in total including disposal.

Go figure - one was a 17.2hh tb done at home, the other was a shetland who went in to the surgery for the day, had more done and didn't cost that much more.

I don't use those vets any more and neither do a lot of people because of their ridiculous ott pricing.

And the fact that I got my bills 48 hours after via email with the final line of - payment is required in full as soon as possible, we are struggling with covid and need the finances.
Thad sounds very distressing. What a horrible thing to go through :(

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I've just paid £639 for scheduled pts via injection (including sedating prior to the drug being administered). I opted for group cremation, no ashes back. The collection service was the one the vets use as I wanted to just arrange everything through them.

Just looked at my bill and the various aspects have been grouped. This is the cost after I received a 10% discount for paying within the "early payment" timescales

Last edited:

paddy555

Visit site
£248 in June 2020. That was at 9.30pm in an emergency callout and the most dreadful circumstances and vet at risk of serious injury. Horse galloped off down the field halfway through. Seems very reasonable compared to some. Didn't include disposal.

meleeka

Visit site
So talking to a friend today, it seems prices have gone up by £50 since she had the same vet for the same thing in November. Callout has gone up by £3 so £47 is the PTS itself.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

Thats awful I wouldn't use them anymore either ?

Visit site
Thats awful I wouldn't use them anymore either ?

They lost A LOT of clients over the last 3 years or so because of their attitude. And the fact that some of their vets are incapable of doing their jobs. The one who came out to microchip a foal a few years ago put the chip in one side of the neck, straight out the other into her finger. Not once. But twice before it stayed in the pony! She brought a scalpel, hibiscrub, swabs and a plaster with her because that wasn't the first tike that had happened to her ...