R.I.P Corae Damien

meesha

Visit site
Sat here in tears as he looked so similar to my chap when I first bought him BUT you really did have to say goodbye when you did.

So sorry for you

Scoutie

Visit site
I read your story last night and cried for both you and your horse. You did the right thing for both of you, there was nothing else you could do. You allowed him to go with dignity and without doing further damage to himself or others. RIP Corae Damien.

ladyt25

Visit site
God this is making me well up. I can only imagine how difficult this has been for you. I feel so sad and angry for both you and him, you for having to go through this and him for having to suffer for a lot longer than should have been allowed due to his cowardly, greedy breeders :-( RIP Damien, hope you are galloping free from fear now.

Cobiau Cymreig Wyllt

Visit site
Another one who has been following along quietly on your threads about this poor boy. Well done for having the strength to make the best decision on his behalf.
Hope you have who/what you need around you to take care of yourself for the rest of the day and onwards.
Walk on ahead Corae Damien, no more pain for you lovely boy.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It broke my heart when after it was, done, each and everyone one of my horses called to him to say goodbye, even the ones that *never* call.
Bless you I am in tears now, you have done the right thing and been so brave, its disgusting what the breeder has done I cant believe it they just passed the buck so to speak, when my old mare was pts my gelding I have now called to her so did the mare who lived in the stable next door it breaks your heart doesnt it. Take care xx

suestowford

Visit site
They were probably just saying goodbye. I don't think horses fear death as they live too much in the moment. But I do believe that horses are very knowing and I would put money on them knowing he wasn't right in the head. I expect if they could talk they would be telling you all the same things that everyone on this thread is saying.

Clare85

Visit site
Poor lad, RIP. You did the right thing DA and you should take comfort from that. I imagine your other horses knew something was not quite right with this poor boy. You gave him a kind and dignified end, which is more than many can hope for, he is at peace now. Take care x

digitalangel

Visit site
They were all settled afterwards, except his buddy #1 which is the grey in my sig - he was very wound up but he is also a very sensitive soul. Hes OK now though.

at least now ive let you all know his name and prefix.

TrasaM

Visit site
You poor love (()) . No more suffering fear or pain poor horse.
Doing the right thing isn't always the easiest route but you've done right by this poor horse.

justabob

Visit site
RIP lovely boy. DA you have handled this horrible situation with dignity and kindness.

What a lovely, kind and supportive forum this is when the chips are down. It must have given you solace to know so many people were thinking of you.

digitalangel

Visit site
it did. it as a massive help and really helped in my decision process and being able to pick any brains if possible to see if there wrre any other avenues. but i knew in my heart of hearts there was not.

onlytheponely

Visit site
He's not suffering now DA, thanks to your kindness.

Another that followed quietly and with shock, as a breeder. I am so relieved that they didn't take him back as goodness only knows what would have happened further down the line. You did what only a genuine animal lover would do, an awful decision to have to make for anyone but you were brave enough to do what was ultimately best for him.
I just wonder whether his two full brothers have any similar problems, I sincerely hope not.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm so sorry DA, what a naff situation you were put in by people who just didn't care. Very unfair of them to have burdened you in this way, not just financially but emotionally too. They should hang their heads and forget any grandiose ideas of ever calling themselves "breeders". Absolutely shameful.

I've just read that there was no blood. That's very unusual and I think there's your answer to knowing something was definitely amiss.

Take care and look after yourself.

digitalangel

Visit site
Thats a good question Goldenstar and one that i have not fully considered as yet.

Having had legal advice the first time it happened i was advised that if i did put him down it would make getting my money back by normal courts more difficult. so excuse the bad phrasing here but for his sake i have shot myself in the foot in terms of getting my money back. I think i could do small claims court, but it would mean hassling a lot of people for reports, ie, vets, witnesses, police, neighbour, knackerman, etc. im just not sure. i would hope they did the right thing and send me a nice cheque but i doubt they will and they dont have my address anyway ( a good thing? )

I also thought about writing them a letter but pretty sure would be a wasted exercise and it would be binned.

_GG_

Visit site
Thats a good question Goldenstar and one that i have not fully considered as yet.

Having had legal advice the first time it happened i was advised that if i did put him down it would make getting my money back by normal courts more difficult. so excuse the bad phrasing here but for his sake i have shot myself in the foot in terms of getting my money back. I think i could do small claims court, but it would mean hassling a lot of people for reports, ie, vets, witnesses, police, neighbour, knackerman, etc. im just not sure. i would hope they did the right thing and send me a nice cheque but i doubt they will and they dont have my address anyway ( a good thing? )

I also thought about writing them a letter but pretty sure would be a wasted exercise and it would be binned.

The good that could come out of a court battle is that it would then be in the public domain. They would not be able to hide.
Now, you may not, in fact probably won't see much if any money and it would be expensive for you. That said, I would happily donate what I could to help you take action against the breeders as the more light shone upon these breeders, the better. If anyone else wanted to help you and do the same, I am sure a few of us could get together to make sure all was done properly.

Nobody would blame you for putting this all behind you though. Do what is right for you. xx

Goldenstar

Visit site
It will be harder and I would totally understand why you would just let it go , I feel that's want I would not in this situation .
But then they have got away with it bred a horse found it a problem sold it to you anf left you to man up and do want needed doing its disgraceful behaviour .
I know if I had witnessed either incident I would happily go to court and say what I saw .
It might be a good idea to ask any witnesses to make notes now of what they saw just in case .