R.I.P Corae Damien

Goldenstar

Visit site
Try not to churn on and on about it , try to relax and see if a few days brings you counsel about what to do .
Sleep well .

MadBlackLab

Visit site
I'm sure that a link to the various threads on HHO on your experiences with Damien would concentrate their minds. But perhaps leave all that until you've had time to relax after all the awful angst that you have been through recently.

This. Don't worry about it now, you need to think about yourself as they is going to affect you more in next few days then now.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I'm sure that a link to the various threads on HHO on your experiences with Damien would concentrate their minds. But perhaps leave all that until you've had time to relax after all the awful angst that you have been through recently.

Or just outline the issues in a concise email....

digitalangel

Visit site
Having a glass of JD and coke and thinking of him. So glad it was quick and painless. he dropped like a stone and it was quick and painless. he didnt see it coming. im glad he didnt suffer any more.

Po Knee

Visit site
Today will soon be over and it will no longer be "that day". Your boy is safe now, and you can take some time to re-group and think of yourself. You deserve to do that now. Take care.

digitalangel

Visit site
dont tempt me cptrayes. about to lose my temper at someone on the dodgy horse FB group because they think i should have kept him as a companion... WHAT?

glass number 2. my amazing sharer bought me an entire bottle. and chocolate. shes amazing. and so are all of you

cptrayes

Visit site
dont tempt me cptrayes. about to lose my temper at someone on the dodgy horse FB group because they think i should have kept him as a companion... WHAT?

glass number 2. my amazing sharer bought me an entire bottle. and chocolate. shes amazing. and so are all of you

there are some terrible idiots in the world and you are not one of them. Say hi to Jack for me :)

digitalangel

Visit site
Ive now read about a heritable condition called ' sky eyes ' ( normal vet eye exam would not pick this up ) which could have contributed or even been responisble for his behavior. Its too late now to know if this is what affected him but it does in a way explain the eye thing i saw him do. but the lack of blood at his euthanization also indicates something wrong. But shouldi report a possible sky eyes condition to the breed society?

Tobiano

Visit site
So sorry Digitalangel - have just seen this. Sorry not to be able to help with your question but just wanted to send hugs and much sympathy for your loss and for what you had to go through with your boy. He is at peace now. xx

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
They won't do anything. The seller has done nothing to break terms set out by the breed society and very doubtful they would get involved in sales gone wrong.
Possibly not. But there has been a lot of discussion about Appaloosas generally, and much of it has not been favourable to the breed. I, for one, did not realise that they were prone to inherited conditions and that they often have rather reactive temperaments. I had no particular views on the breed either way before, but I would actively avoid one now.

Spring Feather

Visit site
Ive now read about a heritable condition called ' sky eyes ' ( normal vet eye exam would not pick this up ) which could have contributed or even been responisble for his behavior. Its too late now to know if this is what affected him but it does in a way explain the eye thing i saw him do. but the lack of blood at his euthanization also indicates something wrong. But shouldi report a possible sky eyes condition to the breed society?

I had to look up 'sky eyes', never heard of them! I've found it is 'star gazing', and that's the term I'm familiar with. Star gazing isn't that uncommon and although probably shouldn't be encouraged in a breeding programme I know it is not something any of the registries over here identify as a condition which will mean non-registry of stock. There are only a handful (if that) of faults which are not allowed, star gazing isn't one of them. You can get in touch with the society and tell them all about everything if it makes you feel better, but they are a breed society, they're not a sales governor. You would have more luck contacting the Office of Fair Trading. If something can be done then they are the people who have the power to set you in the right direction of what needs to be done for a successful civil prosecution.

Heaven27

New User
Visit site
YOu are all *so* sweet. no idea what to do next. i need a few days to think things through. Ive put the post on the epona stars / dodgy horse dealer FB so people can be aware. If people dont buy maybe they will do the right thing with the horses they do have. I dont know about the mare who is unsound, they told me at the time it had an injury but they also told me he was safe as well. i wouldnt trust anything they have to say again. Part of me wishes they would do the right thing, get in contact and take him back, or give me the money i paid back. but i doubt they are those kind of people. Im sure they will justify it to themselves one way or another.

Bit confused.... how can you say i wish they would give you your money back and take him back if he has now been PTS? Am i missing something here?

digitalangel

Visit site
I wouldnt expect the breed society to get involved in the sale or anything else, it was purely a FYI exercise.

Im not sure star gazing and sky eyes are the same thing - ive always thought star gazing was when a horse runs around with his head in the air. Sky eyes as ive read goes some way to explaining the eye rolling upwards thing that Damien did. I just wanted to clarify.

digitalangel

Visit site
Sorry i meant past tense. i wasnt thinking/ typing straight. im happy if there are any doubts to take a pic of the invoice i have from the huntsman if that would put your mind at rest.

Bit confused.... how can you say i wish they would give you your money back and take him back if he has now been PTS? Am i missing something here?

MasterBenedict

Visit site
Possibly not. But there has been a lot of discussion about Appaloosas generally, and much of it has not been favourable to the breed. I, for one, did not realise that they were prone to inherited conditions and that they often have rather reactive temperaments. I had no particular views on the breed either way before, but I would actively avoid one now.

I can understand your feelings after this thread and some others on here. Please do not think all appaloosa's are crazy or in-bred, disease ridden horses. The majority of breeders are actively trying to eliminate these traits from the few that have them, and I'm sure a high percentage are in very good health. There are simple vet checks that can (and should) be carried out if you want to purchase an appaloosa and are worried about health issues. Unfortunately you only tend to hear about the negative stories. I am feel so sorry for the OP to have had to go through this, but she could have equally got any horse with an issue, not just an appaloosa. I hope DA is not put off the breed for life, they are generally fantastic little horses :)

Spring Feather

Visit site

Don't be put off Appaloosas, they are fantastic horses. At least the purebred ones are, and all of the inheritable conditions some of them carry are easily avoidable ... so long as you have a FULL pedigree to work on. The problem as I see it is, having looked at a number of App 'pedigrees' given out on this forum over the years, hardly any of them are full pedigreed animals. I think the society rules in the UK run very differently to how they are over here. No app over here would be allowed to be registered with ApHC with null/limited info on parentage. Maybe you have lots of different App societies over there? So a lot of the problem as I see it is that most of these horses I see being bandied about as Apps, aren't. They don't have pedigrees going back to the 1600s, they're more mix and match crossbreeds. Nothing wrong with that, but you really can't brand a breed based on crossbreeds.

Yes I know DA it was just an FYI :) mine was too really.

digitalangel

Visit site
Im just putting this up to clarify. I hope you understand im not willing to put my name and address on a public internet forum. but the date is todays and ive also shown the first part of my postcode.

1471795_793388900690780_884059081_n.jpg

Sorry i meant past tense. i wasnt thinking/ typing straight. im happy if there are any doubts to take a pic of the invoice i have from the huntsman if that would put your mind at rest.

reddie

Visit site
Having read the whole thread, I think you absolutely did the right thing by the horse. You had no real alternative. Hugs to you, and he is in a happier safer place now