Racing this weekend

Maddie Moo

Visit site
Update on Amarillo Sky from the stewards report - “Following the race, the Veterinary Officer reported that AMARILLO SKY (IRE), which was pulled up, finished lame on its right-fore.”

Also appears that Newcastle had some deer related issues today 🤣

Race 1 - 3:35pm
THE FIND MORE BIG DEALS AT BETUK HANDICAP STAKES (CLASS 6)

It was noted that three deer ran across the track in front of the runners as they approached the bend in the back straight. Having spoken to the Clerk of the Course, she explained that there are current measures, such as positioning a deer spotter in known deer crossings, and that on this occasion the deer had appeared suddenly from the inside of the track. The Clerk of the Course added that this area would be monitored in future. The Stewards noted this explanation.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Was at Newbury today (am a member) Amarillo Sky was taken off course in the horse ambulance but was being exceedingly fractious and difficult lots of leaping around so not really helping himself. There were 2 fallers both up and OK and walked back home.
Makinyourmind up ran a super race and the crowd noise for him was louder than for Shiskin 😄 There was some really good races!!

Before Racing began there were deer on the inside of the course but they decided to exit via the back straight after a helicopter landed!!!

humblepie

Visit site
Only saw Shiskin's race today and so pleased he won though Protectorat looked very happy bobbing along in front for a long time. Hope that Amarillo Sky okay. Saw a deer report last week as well, haven't checked but may have been Newcastle.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Amarillo Sky last ran 28/1/2023 finished 4th and lame in right fore. Looks like he has suffered a recurrence of that injury as it is the same leg. :(

I hope he has the temperament to be rehabbed and found a new job in life. However as I said above he was being a real handful while they were waiting for the horse ambulance to arrive.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Huh. Wading into this thread because I think that I once kept my horse at a yard owned by Alan King's brother. And I've just made the connection because I live under a rock (and the YO never said all that much about his brother). All I know is that he had a brother called Alan, and that he was a racehorse trainer. Some online stalking has suggested that Alan King was born in Lanarkshire, and his father was a farmer. That tracks. I know it's a pretty common name and all, but how many can there be?

If so, I didn't know he was a big time trainer. I guess in my head, he was a guy with a small stable running horses at little tracks in places like Hamilton. LOL.

The Kevin Bacon rule applies, eh.

humblepie

Visit site
Was going to post or start a fresh thread. Nice couple of winners for Ben Pauling. Good old Larry runs later today. Used to nickname my previous horse Larry so have a place in my heart for racehorse Larry.