Racing this weekend

humblepie

Visit site
Caldwell Potter 740,00 euros to Highflyer. Love how he almost sold at 700,000 then another bid eeked out and Highflyer had to go again. Saw Pied Piper trotting up, he is lovely.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
€320,000 for Imagine (FR). Bought by Edward Bailey Bloodstock (Upton Court) and Harry Derham.

€75,000 for Jasette d’Irlande (FR) a mare who placed once in a PTP and is related to a G3 winner through her second dam. Bought by Rathdrum Stud

Very surprised to see it was only €50,000 for Jazzy Matty (FR) who is the winner of the Juvenile hurdle (G3) at Cheltenham and a half brother for Delta Work. Bought by Denis O’Regan and Cian Collins.

edited to add the buyers.

Last edited:

Maddie Moo

Visit site
Malton Groove (IRE), half brother to Minella Times goes for a bargain price of €8,000. I think he would have been worth taking a punt on at that price despite not showing much in his previous starts. Sold to Tom Malone.

Pied Piper (GB) goes for €570,000. Sold to Wingate.

He is gorgeous and I’m not a chestnut fan normally. Photo from Irish Thoroughbred Marketing.
IMG_9608.jpeg

Talented (won by 21L in his last start) and well related (2nd dam is Bobbing Back who produced G1 winner The Tullow Tank and GN winner Many Clouds) Staffordshire Knot sells for €510,000 to Eddie O’Leary.

Last edited:

humblepie

Visit site
Malton Groove (IRE), half brother to Minella Times goes for a bargain price of €8,000. I think he would have been worth taking a punt on at that price despite not showing much in his previous starts. Sold to Tom Malone.

Pied Piper (GB) goes for €570,000. Sold to Wingate.

That’s the picture of Pied Piper I saw. I though RoR competition horse 😀😀😀

He is gorgeous and I’m not a chestnut fan normally. Photo from Irish Thoroughbred Marketing.
View attachment 133443

Talented (won by 21L in his last start) and well related (2nd dam is Bobbing Back who produced G1 winner The Tullow Tank and GN winner Many Clouds) Staffordshire Knot sells for €510,000 to Eddie O’Leary.

Orangehorse

Visit site
Some horses are "one paced" if the others go off quicker that horse will race in last then as the others slow are then caught up and if they tire the one paced horse goes past them. Regular jockeys know the horse so know what it is capable of likewise the trainers. So as you say if travelling and jumping well why should they be pulled up!!

I remember an interview with a jockey that had just won a race and at one point his horse had been last. He said that his horse simply couldn't keep up with the front runners in the early part of the race as they were just too fast. It wasn't that they went particularly fast, just too fast for him.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I saw an article recently which looked at the records of racehorses started as 2yo compared to those started at 3 or older. Surprisingly the stats showed those starting at 2yo usually had better longevity and better average performance than those started later.

There was some discussion about if this could be that starting them earlier actually encouraged stronger growth, and suggested further study in that area.

This got me thinking that maybe we are still seeing the effects of the covid lay off period, and maybe a year of inconsistent racing in 2020 has somehow reduced resilience in racehorses leading to these horrific injuries being seen.

Just a theory....but I really hope they can get to the bottom of this so we stop seeing it. I can't watch racing anymore because I find it too upsetting when they don't make it home safely.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
I saw an article recently which looked at the records of racehorses started as 2yo compared to those started at 3 or older. Surprisingly the stats showed those starting at 2yo usually had better longevity and better average performance than those started later.

There was some discussion about if this could be that starting them earlier actually encouraged stronger growth, and suggested further study in that area.

This got me thinking that maybe we are still seeing the effects of the covid lay off period, and maybe a year of inconsistent racing in 2020 has somehow reduced resilience in racehorses leading to these horrific injuries being seen.

Just a theory....but I really hope they can get to the bottom of this so we stop seeing it. I can't watch racing anymore because I find it too upsetting when they don't make it home safely.

Link They actually did a study in the US on this and how Covid-19 affected the fatality rates of 2YOs.

Andie02

Visit site
€5,155.000 made. Wonder what they originally paid! Still probably out of pocket once training fees, vet fees etc are added up. Still. 😳
If you look on the sales page, on the right of the page there is 'News and Updates' it gives info on there about the lots, and the original purchase price of some of them. They took a big loss on some of them !

McGrools

Visit site

There have been spates of shattered limbs on the racecourse before Covid. I remember about 5 years ago there seemed to be broken limbs between fences on the flat every saturday. I was finding it hard to watch at that point.

Maddie Moo

Visit site
Very interesting - I don't know how quickly racing got restarted in the US as here it came back quite quickly behind closed doors. Be an interesting study for here too.

I think a lot of racing carried on as normal especially in the early days of the pandemic. The racing model is different there, with horses and grooms living at the track, so day to day racing (claimers, allowances and stakes races) just carried on without people in the stands.

The 2020 Triple Crown had the dates moved significantly and order changed to Belmont, Derby and then the Preakness. There was changes to the rules on shipping horses, some tracks you had to use the grooms on-site rather than your own grooms go with your horses.

It would be interesting for a study here, I wonder if Parkin would run one here especially as he’s now based at Bristol Vet School.

Gamebird

Visit site
I really don't remember racing being stopped for very long at all. I was at the 'superspreader' Cheltenham 2020, days before the first lockdown, and obviously the Aintree National meeting 3 weeks later was cancelled. I think most winter jumping came to a halt then (as it normally does in April anyway) as it seemed most sensible just to start those horses on their holidays at that point. But as far as I remember the racing in general, and sales, were back up and running pretty quickly. I definitely had many days racing during the pandemic to empty stands, including Cheltenham and Aintree 2021 in lockdown in the 'Irish-only' compounds they created, and those horses mostly got their prep runs in somewhere (for Aintree that year all the Irish had to stay at Haydock, in a designated hotel that re-opened specially for us, horses were at Haydock too and we just trucked them to Aintree for each race. All the stable staff got chauffeured the couple of miles between the stabling and the hotel to ensure that we didn't mix with or contaminate the local community!).

teapot

Visit site
There was no racing in the UK for April, May and most of June 2020. July, Aug and Sept were all hit and miss too.

Only have to look at the fixture lists to see how many meetings were cancelled.

humblepie

Visit site
Flat racing was the equal first sport back along with snooker, I think. I just wonder though if there were young horses whose training or early education was "parked" for a while, which is why I think the research would be interesting as they would be 5 or 6 year olds now by my maths.

McGrools

Visit site
Flat racing was the equal first sport back along with snooker, I think. I just wonder though if there were young horses whose training or early education was "parked" for a while, which is why I think the research would be interesting as they would be 5 or 6 year olds now by my maths.
I think yards pretty much went about buisiness as usual during lockdown. Horses still need looking after and staff continued to care for them. I don’t think they were trained any differently due to lockdown. Plus I think the youngsters that start at 2 are generally flat horses, the Nh horses are usually 3 before they get broken and 4 before they race.
I wonder if weaker bones are a side effect of diet or supplements, I know fractured pelvis’ are quite common amongst young racehorses which would suggest a weaker bone density.