Rain Ranting Thread

HopOnTrot

Visit site
Still waiting for it to be dry enough to harrow! Currently tractor won't get through the gate.

The aga is back on and I'm sat at my desk wearing a coat.

Trying to get my mare fit but the ground is still so wet that opportunities to get into canter are slim to none

Sprogladite01

Visit site
I'm despairing here in Cambs. Managed to harrow and re-seed my completely and utterly trashed winter field on 2nd April (and felt very smug about it at the time) but conditions since have meant that the seed has barely gotten started in terms of new growth. We had a promising week where things dried up, the seed started growing and things greened up, but the new sprouts are now underwater and I suspect are going to be beyond saving by the time it dries up. My summer field took a beating last year and also hadn't recovered fully but I had no option but to move the horses onto it - its being strip grazed now and is reaching it's limit in terms of what it can take and we still have all of summer to go! I'm now debating keeping the horses in for a couple of weeks to try and let that side recover too but reluctant as my young mare gets dangerously fizzy if cooped up. I will almost certainly need to re-seed again in September for the winter side, but dread to think what state the summer side will be in by then...

HopOnTrot

Visit site
I have got seed in the wet half of my field and it's growing, but because I can't start rotating yet I can't get the other bits done! AAARRRRGGGH

HopOnTrot

Visit site
My partner loves a conspiracy theory and thinks they are spraying things into the clouds to make it colder and rain more, I'm starting to give his latest conspiracy theory some more thought haha. Our fields are getting worse and boggy again too
I saw that yesterday and then threw my mind back to 2007 when indeed it was biblical so this year pails into comparison.... so far.

Steerpike

Visit site
My partner loves a conspiracy theory and thinks they are spraying things into the clouds to make it colder and rain more, I'm starting to give his latest conspiracy theory some more thought haha. Our fields are getting worse and boggy again too
Oh my other half has been saying people at his work have been saying that!

lynz88

Visit site
it's so frustrating as I just get feet under control and then BAM! it rains again....and not for a day and then done but for several days at a time which I think makes it worse. I haven't put any of my veggie plants out and I'm wondering if I ever will this year. I started them later so I didn't end up with monsters taking over the house thinking surely by the end of May I can put them out but I'm looking at the weather and my plants and thinking "nope....there's no way any of them will survive". The only good news is I've got great grass growth and coverage after taking out a bunch of trees, bushes, and a pond late last year....

Ladybird L

Visit site
Lashing here…. 🙄😰🤬 I had got the the ponies out, land had dried up, now the fields are trashed again, I’ve sacrificed a small paddock because I only have one stable until next winter.. they’re currently taking turns, pony out day, in night, cob out night, in day. I’m hosing off mud and doctoring mud rash and rain scald, and some other mystery rash (nothing serious/contagious thankfully), and going it’s nearly f***ing June, what’s going on????? 😭😭😭 I’m losing the will to live after the chicken coop flooded. Three thunderstorms this past week and each one accompanied by torrential, torrential rain, and any other day was constant drizzle.
So sick of this!!!!

Sorry for the rant

Bellaboo18

Visit site
I'm grateful for this thread.
I really feel the weather is beating me this year. It feels like the horrible wet winter is just going to blur into the next one at the moment. I can't imagine the field bouncing back like I need it to 😔

I'm Dun

Visit site

People will believe anything rather than accept its climate change and its ramping up. Its not like we haven't been repeatedly told. I guess people don't want to face it, as its inevitable now. No one will make the drastic changes needed to stop it never mind start to reverse it. We are in the middle of a mass extinction event and humans will be joining that list at some point sadly.

myheartinahoofbeat

Visit site
It’s just unrelenting. We get a day of sun and you think summers here and then back to rain for several days. Husband keeps moaning I’m obsessed with green electric fencing but it’s only because I keep rejigging it to protect the summer field from being trashed. Mud is never normally an issue at this time of year. On the upside, all the countryside around us does look beautiful and lush with all this rain though.

tatty_v

Visit site
It’s getting me down too. Big horse is hyper sensitive to spring grass and all this wet with short warm spells in between is making it grow like mad. When we had the few days of warm dry weather he was calm and pleasant. Now he’s back to a spooky itchy nightmare 😭 plus all my veg plants have just stopped growing!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I can remember one year in the 80's when we were are on the farm it just didn't stop raining through May and June. By July our hay crop was unbelievably thick and it was beyond the capabilities of the finger mower we used back then. We had to borrow a neighbour's rotary mower to stand a chance of cutting it. The weather however was still very 'catchy' and we made a huge amount of very poor quality hay, every building was filled. Finally got a decent spell in August and managed to make a little bit of really nice hay, only a couple of hundred bales. Worst year I have ever experienced.

southerncomfort

Visit site
We've had one dry week and that's it. Rained at least 3 days a week since then, and now we're back to just relentless rain every day.

I do remember a couple of very wet years, but I don't ever remember two cr@ppy years in a row.

This feels more permanent. ☹️😥

My summer paddock is getting absolutely trashed.

20240528_145401.jpg

Ladybird L

Visit site
Lashing here…. 🙄😰🤬 I had got the the ponies out, land had dried up, now the fields are trashed again, I’ve sacrificed a small paddock because I only have one stable until next winter.. they’re currently taking turns, pony out day, in night, cob out night, in day. I’m hosing off mud and doctoring mud rash and rain scald, and some other mystery rash (nothing serious/contagious thankfully), and going it’s nearly f***ing June, what’s going on????? 😭😭😭 I’m losing the will to live after the chicken coop flooded. Three thunderstorms this past week and each one accompanied by torrential, torrential rain, and any other day was constant drizzle.
So sick of this!!!!

Sorry for the rant
Ugh meant hopefully not thankfully 😅 😬

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Left the horses out tonight as it was forecast dry overnight and it’s literally been hammering it down for the past hour and everywhere is laying wet again😩
Ours are still in at night! Too blooming wet and cold, ridiculous really! Fields get trashed if they are on them too long as we are clay.

This time the last 3 years it’s been lovely and warm…Facebook memories remind me of that!