Rare breeds...why?!

LaurieT

Visit site
Hello :) ...am new here!

Being far away from home and heavy work commitments means I am unable to have any furry, four-legged friends of my own, but I love to write about them.

I am a massive supporter of Britain's native breeds, and cannot believe that many of them made it onto the RBST 2016 Watchlist. I myself believe they have so much to offer, and so much untapped potential that people just don't realise! I would be interested to hear people's thoughts on this, why they are there and how we can increase their popularity?

I hope it is OK to share a link to my blog.... (I can't find anywhere that says that it isn't?! :eek: ) You can find my latest post regarding Rare Breeds here - http://laurietwizel.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/why-do-we-have-rare-breeds.html please feel free to comment and share - I would be really interested in people's thoughts and stories (and pictures!!!) to put together a more informed discussion piece

Laurie x

Dave's Mam

Visit site
You didn't mention Exmoors, also classed as a rare breed, Status Endangered, but thanks to many dedicated breeders, numbers are on the increase.
There were only 50 Exmoors left after the 2nd World War & the Rationing (Yes, they got stolen & eaten) & I imagine many native breeds suffered a similar demise.

Last edited:

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I have a Suffolk cross. He's been with me for around 14 years.

Pics taken about 6 months apart, I struggle with his weight in summer. He's retired due to the cross breeding not overly working and his legs not really matching his body. Have always managed to keep on top of it though.

alainax

Visit site
I'm always really surprised as what is classed as rare. I see highlands and Clydesdales everywhere! Are there specific rarer breeds classes?

LaurieT

Visit site
You didn't mention Exmoors, also classed as a rare breed, Status Endangered, but thanks to many dedicated breeders, numbers are on the increase.
There were only 50 Exmoors left after the 2nd World War & the Rationing (Yes, they got stolen & eaten) & I imagine many native breeds suffered a similar demise.

Unfortunately there are so many on the list :( They all can make such cracking ponies

LaurieT

Visit site
I have a Suffolk cross. He's been with me for around 14 years.

Pics taken about 6 months apart, I struggle with his weight in summer. He's retired due to the cross breeding not overly working and his legs not really matching his body. Have always managed to keep on top of it though.

Oh wow he really is gorgeous! What's his history - how did you come across him? I hear Suffolk's are real gentle giants...

LaurieT

Visit site
I'm always really surprised as what is classed as rare. I see highlands and Clydesdales everywhere! Are there specific rarer breeds classes?

"Critical" status is defined as "less than 300 registered adult breeding females in the UK" but I suppose it depends on which part of the country you live in as to which ones you are most likely to come across. Being in the South I see a few New Forests and Exmoors, yet less Highlands and Fells, and definitely hardly any Dales or Clydesdales.
They do have their own Rare Breed classes at many shows, with few entries but at least this generally means the ponies are high quality.
I suppose this is one of the plus sides of them being rare and in low demand - that breeders are being extra careful to select quality over quantity?
I also notice how the Fells and Dales have many similarities, yet the Dales are critical and the Fells are not - I can't help thinking the Fells have more popularity due in some part to the Queen's love of the breed?

Visit site
The Kilmannan Stud up here in Scotland breeds Dales ponies and Suffolk Punch's. Mr Ireland loves talking about his ponies. Richard Telford produces them under saddle. His Suffolk mare was 2nd in the Heavy Horse Ridden Class at HOYS last year and will be aiming to go back again this year.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I fear I will be banned from the forum if I post any more pictures of my Exmoor.

I hope not because I love Dave! You should post MORE so everyone can see how awesome Exmoors are! If I wasnt such a fat heifer then I would have an exmoor and if it turns out I cant actually ride again then I shall have one to drive and show in hand!

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I went to a Study Day with Breeders and Judges of Highland & Exmoor ponies a few weeks ago. So much knowledge & wonderful people, passionate about our native breeds. David Wallace gave a fantastic talk about the history of the Anchor (formerly Ackland) herd, the first 30 Exmoor ponies to really be managed as a herd.

There are lots of breeders all over the UK now, my boy is from Darwen & ran on the moor there for the start of his life & there are Exmoors Conservation grazing as far away as the Czech Republic & Germany.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I hope not because I love Dave! You should post MORE so everyone can see how awesome Exmoors are! If I wasnt such a fat heifer then I would have an exmoor and if it turns out I cant actually ride again then I shall have one to drive and show in hand!
Ha! Bless you. He sends a big snog, just for you. :D

Leo Walker

Visit site
I think it probably ties into the whole adults should ride big warmblood horses thing, when actually lots of adults would be sooooo much happier on a lovely native pony. Sound, easy to have around and happy to do anything you ask reasonably. I see so many people horribly overhorsed and having a miserable time, but if they had just bought themself a nice native type they would be out and about having a lovely time.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I think it probably ties into the whole adults should ride big warmblood horses thing, when actually lots of adults would be sooooo much happier on a lovely native pony. Sound, easy to have around and happy to do anything you ask reasonably. I see so many people horribly overhorsed and having a miserable time, but if they had just bought themself a nice native type they would be out and about having a lovely time.

This, with bells on. Exmoors, for example, are literally horses on short legs. Deep in the chest, wide, strong & with great weight carrying ability. My pony is 12.2hh. He's in cob / full size bridle bits, a 42 inch girth & 5'9" in rugs.

He has character coming out of his tiny little fluffy ears, but he's as strong as an ox & doesn't let you forget it. He's also an absolute love.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
The Native Pony's downfall is that they are often very opinionated & take a certain type of person to "get" them. Moorland ponies are very hardwired to "Flight", and it takes a lot of work to build trust.

But when you get that trust, it's a wonderful thing.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
NF are on the watch list as the number of breeding females has fallen. This is due to the stallion scheme being implemented. Too many foals were being born and as a responsible society the decision was taken to reduce this number.

Natives are extremely versatile and great all rounders.

millikins

Visit site
The Eriskay ponies were invited to join the RBST class at a major county show a couple of years back. We drove 85 miles each way to take our mare and there was one other. The judge had been sent the breed standard but pulled them in 17th and 18th in a class of 19. That was behind fat highlands and a shire who was too unbalanced to get round corners without bucking. I know everyone moans about judging but I am experienced enough to know appalling judging when I see it. None of the "critical" breeds were placed highly. If you are going to go the trouble and expense of keeping and showing the rarest ones then it would be nice to think your animal will be given a fair chance. Our pony is too old now but I'd never bother again.

windand rain

Visit site
It saddens me to see kids on big warm bloods my 13hh Highland pony was two hands smaller than the rest of the pony club ponies jumping the 80cm cross country course on Sunday It was so obvious that the commentator commented on theirs being one of the best clear rounds he had seen for a long time. She easily competes with the big horses often beating them and very often receiving these type of comments. She finished 5th in a very large class only because neither the rider not I can work out how the optimum time works she is either way too fast or too slow if we steady her up. Fewer than 200 Highland foals were registered last year and that is what makes them endangered. In 5 years time those will be the next generation of ridden ponies most will never have a foal as they are the best, most versatile and companionable of ponies and of course only roughly half will be female. Fewer dedicated breeders are producing foals as they cannot afford the losses in financial terms It costs a lot more to get a foal to ridden age than the market will support in sale price. It applies to all the rare breeds there are too few being bred, there is not a guaranteed market as ponies are not as popular most but not all kids would rather be on a screen gaming machine than out getting wet and muddy. They are tragically under valued so they will continue to fall in numbers.

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Oh wow he really is gorgeous! What's his history - how did you come across him? I hear Suffolk's are real gentle giants...

I got him when he was around 7. He'd been hunted previously. Some one bought him and he came to the yard where I kept my mare. He was bolshy and quite ignorant, and his owners quickly lost interest and didn't come up for days at a time. I used to muck him out and check his food water etc. I got into contact with them and asked about possibly loaning him as OH could ride him. Went up the yard the next day and he'd gone! Few weeks later I got a text out of the blue telling me he was for sale if I still wanted him. They wanted £2000, said no way, and got him for £750.

He is a gentle giant, would put my Nan on him. He has arthritis and ringbone, but has happily lived the life of Riley for the last 3 years bossing the other 2 around.

honetpot

Visit site
The Native Pony's downfall is that they are often very opinionated & take a certain type of person to "get" them. Moorland ponies are very hardwired to "Flight", and it takes a lot of work to build trust.

But when you get that trust, it's a wonderful thing.

I think they are just a lot smarter than the people that ride them, they don't suffer fools gladly.The instincts that make them survive in the 'wild' are not sometimes compatible with an owner that wants to stick them in a box for 23 hours a day and then make them go in pointless circles. They have a very low boredom threshold.
All my ponies are natives, everyone has been a gem, I have them from about two, they live out as much as possible and never do the same thing two days in a row when ridden. My smartest, a welsh A, not a show pony, rides, drives and is a general nuisance but will look after any child that wants to have fun.