Rare breeds...why?!

Widgeon

Visit site
This, with bells on. Exmoors, for example, are literally horses on short legs. Deep in the chest, wide, strong & with great weight carrying ability. My pony is 12.2hh. He's in cob / full size bridle bits, a 42 inch girth & 5'9" in rugs.

He has character coming out of his tiny little fluffy ears, but he's as strong as an ox & doesn't let you forget it. He's also an absolute love.

What a gorgeous pony! If you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? I do love natives (learned to ride on a Dartmoor then a NF) but have never ridden an Exmoor - visiting family in Dulverton though this summer so am excited about the prospect of finding some to have a try! I'm 5' 8" though (10 stone) and am currently riding a 15.1 Welsh D. Do you ever find the lack of pony between your heels a bit disconcerting...or is there enough of an Exmoor that that wouldn't happen?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I have never seen so many highlands as I did at PUK last weekend, which was south :p I guess those that like them like showing them :p. Some of the list are good allrounders for some people, other like the hackneys really aren't!

SEL

Visit site
I had a fabulous 2 years bringing a hackney pony broodmare back into work. That was getting on for 20 years ago and I don't think I've seen a hackney since sadly.

I am a heavy horse fan and if we had the land at home I have a herd of chunkies.

"Exmoors, for example, are literally horses on short legs. Deep in the chest, wide, strong & with great weight carrying ability" - my Ardennes has been described as an Exmoor on steroids!

tristar

Visit site
years a ago i had lots of different ponies, inc exmoor which i must say was a fab animal, i am 5`6 he was 13 hands but he was super to ride, lively, forward and a nice front when sat on, not at all like small pony.

there are other rare breeds people are trying to encourage such as the hispano arabe, and their cross the tres sangres three blood horse, which in many ways is streets ahead of the warmblood with the bonus of being a complete hotblood and breed on very true to type, they do however need a quite high level of riding skill and being work orientated not a weekend hack type of horse, and here is possibly one reason why we don`t see that many, and the natives are quite strong minded and well capable doing great things with proper time scales and effort given to their schooling

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Back in the 70's the Exmoor was cat 1 Critical, then there were less breeding mares than breeding giant panda's.
We had quite a number from mid 70's & bred a few in the early 80's/early 90's, as well as our Fell's.
Ref the Dales, there are quite a few about 'down south' but not that many being shown. I know of 2 southern Dales breeders who now only plan 1 or 2 foals a year, whereas previously they would have 3, 4 or more. Unfortunately people want to (still) pay peanuts for an adult pony & its not economically worth breeding & keeping for 4+ years as well as backing etc.

Many (non-stud) owners of the 2 above breeds tend to 'buy for life' :) Not many have the space for breeding though.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
What a gorgeous pony! If you don't mind my asking, how tall are you? I do love natives (learned to ride on a Dartmoor then a NF) but have never ridden an Exmoor - visiting family in Dulverton though this summer so am excited about the prospect of finding some to have a try! I'm 5' 8" though (10 stone) and am currently riding a 15.1 Welsh D. Do you ever find the lack of pony between your heels a bit disconcerting...or is there enough of an Exmoor that that wouldn't happen?

I am 5'3", but with an Exmoor, they really do "Take up your leg".

Rollin

Visit site
The Cleveland Bay and Suffolk Punch top the RBST critical list. This year it is forecast that only 18 pure bred Cleveland Bays will be registered in the stud book. Here are two of mine. They are full sisters. If you look at the RaceRare Cleveland Bay and Shagya Arabians Horses FB page you will see photos of the youngest, Duchess at her first SJ event in France. I think this is a fantastic horse for someone who competes at Riding Club level. Elegant paces, comfortable ride, stamina, jumping ability and a calm temperament - as the Royal Mews will tell you. So why is it a rare breed? Too few pure bred Cleveland Bays are seen in competition.

photo2_zpsc5c9eb6c.jpg

IMG_2340_zpsjjmak9eb.jpg

If you want to support the Cleveland Bay you could join the CBHS BUT WARNING. Dr. Andy Dell, who was given an award by the RBST for his genetic study of the Cleveland Bay, an award presented by HRH the Prince of Wales, a study which formed the basis of his PhD thesis and helps people like me, select appropriate matings for their mares, in order to reduce/avoid in breeding, has BEEN REFUSED MEMBERSHIP.

If you want to support the Cleveland Bay you can only become a member if 10 people sat in a room in Harrogate agree!! Not the 300 or so members and breeders like myself who want to see the breed survive. They are not even required to give a reason. Read members replies on the Cleveland bay Open Forum, which has nothing whatsoever to do with CBHS.

This may be why the Cleveland Bay is critically endangered.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Obviously rare breeds are rare for a reason. They aren't useful for the sorts of jobs people want them to do.

I mean, you don't see many of these rare native types doing dressage...

12805809_446723562203362_8510139626428725571_n.jpg

You don't see them out jumping at RC level - like most folk want to...

15590743_559860510889666_7005543841227185168_o.jpg

There just aren't really any sports out there for them to participate in...

11802695_406005536275165_8002123316144959392_o.png

561084_535166372927_289838733_n.jpg

17349732_603825726493144_41480902875461048_o.jpg

(and a gratuitous Daemon photo because he's cool too)
17358643_655254510337_5157241760056486733_o.jpg

They don't even make fun hacks...

10460198_352513458291040_5559768133941495316_n.jpg

So yea, why would anyone want one?

Daughter of the Moor

Visit site

A well made up to height Exmoor will easily carry your weight. There are a number of people around your height riding Exmoors with no problems. I had a friend your height who did very well in ridden classes on her Exies. Be warned once you have ridden one you won't want to stop!!!

Clodagh

Visit site
I learned to ride on a Dartmoor, he had won at HOYS about 100 years ago and was stunning, would do anything and did make you do things correctly. I then rode connemaras (not rare I know, but native, and seeing them under 14.2 is always a bonus!) ast Hungry Hall stud and then owned a pure connie from there. Wonderful ponies, the only natives I am not madly keen on are the Welsh, I think they have been hotted up too much to fulfil their breed criteria. If I was getting a pony now it would probably be a fell, I love them.
I don't thionk they are more difficult than a warmblood (for instance) but we all want big and flashy now, of course you look much cooler on an 18.2 than a 14hh, even if you are 4'6". not.

Lexi_

Visit site
The Cleveland Bay and Suffolk Punch top the RBST critical list. This year it is forecast that only 18 pure bred Cleveland Bays will be registered in the stud book. Here are two of mine. They are full sisters. If you look at the RaceRare Cleveland Bay and Shagya Arabians Horses FB page you will see photos of the youngest, Duchess at her first SJ event in France. I think this is a fantastic horse for someone who competes at Riding Club level. Elegant paces, comfortable ride, stamina, jumping ability and a calm temperament - as the Royal Mews will tell you. So why is it a rare breed? Too few pure bred Cleveland Bays are seen in competition.

photo2_zpsc5c9eb6c.jpg

IMG_2340_zpsjjmak9eb.jpg

Absolutely stunning! My share horse is by a Cleveland Bay stallion but I think his Welsh side is much stronger which is a shame - he could do with some of that calm temperament!

ester

Visit site
I don't think we all want big and flashy :p and that there are a fair few that have big and flash that are very grateful to get a ride on a 14.2 fun monster :p

There's definitely always been a fair few fells and dales in my bit of the south fewer highlands but apparently most people keep them for posh showing after this weekends experience! Welsh were definitely the minority large breed

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I want big and flashy, lol!

But I've got small and Welsh :p

2 fells and a CB on my yard, the CB fairly sporty and I really enjoyed riding him when his owner was on hol. But I do like my little welsh drama llama as I quite enjoy the silly hotness.

tristar

Visit site
the tres sangres three blood spanish horse can do all sports except racing against tb, i have one with over 60 percent tb, 16.2hh capable of top class eventing, show jumping, and dressage, working equitation, endurance, showing classes, working showing classes, truly a true sport horse that can really gallop, collect and jump out its skin.

the tres sangres spanish x arab x tb crossed with connemara or most of the native breeds would be outstanding for todays market and conversly would help to preserve the native breeds, indeed promote them, instead of trying to breed outsize or bigger than breed standard natives crossing them with bigger stallions occasionally then breeding purebreds true to type some years might help, and then putting the crossbreds back to crossbreds of the same high quality to evolve a strain of larger adult size horses, some with more blood than others would give us the types of horse MOST people would truly need for competition or pure pleasure.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Welsh definitely the majority in Essex, by a very long way.

More highlands these days than there used to be, but a fair number are unregistered / not really pure bred (obviously not those you see at the bigger shows). Similar to the number of Exmoors /Dales / Fell you see around here.

eta, I like the sound of a tres sangres x native.

LaurieT

Visit site
Obviously rare breeds are rare for a reason. They aren't useful for the sorts of jobs people want them to do.

It beggars belief doesn't it!!:D:p

What an awesome pony you have there, you must be so proud!! I really am drawn to a true all-rounder, fun pony
None of this big and flashy nonsense for me! :p

Dave's Mam

Visit site

I mean, you don't see many of these rare native types doing dressage...

12805809_446723562203362_8510139626428725571_n.jpg

You don't see them out jumping at RC level - like most folk want to...

15590743_559860510889666_7005543841227185168_o.jpg

There just aren't really any sports out there for them to participate in...

11802695_406005536275165_8002123316144959392_o.png

561084_535166372927_289838733_n.jpg

17349732_603825726493144_41480902875461048_o.jpg

(and a gratuitous Daemon photo because he's cool too)
17358643_655254510337_5157241760056486733_o.jpg

They don't even make fun hacks...

10460198_352513458291040_5559768133941495316_n.jpg

I think you just hit it right on the head there.

SO1

Visit site
I have a New Forest and I have no idea why they are a rare breed. The native breeds become rare because not enough people want them and the breeders reduce numbers to be responsible and also because they need to sell enough ponies at a reasonable price to make breeding them viable.

I can't understand why New Forests are not as popular as Connemara's. Connies are hugely popular and not that dissimilar in athletic ability to a New Forest. New Forests have the additional benefit of being mainly bay so easier to keep clean!

I do think native ponies are becoming more popular compared to say show ponies. I was at a show last weekend and the native pony classes were well attended whereas some of the show pony and show hunter classes had no entries.

I expect the native pony market is in indirect competition with the coloured cob market. Some people who may have bought a native pony especially the heavier breeds are possibly choosing cobs instead as they have a similar ability but are probably cheaper.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Dave is very lovely. Now a photo of him and Ted the tiny would absolutely explode the internet with a cuteness overload.

Ha! Chaos would reign!

I think they are just a lot smarter than the people that ride them, they don't suffer fools gladly.The instincts that make them survive in the 'wild' are not sometimes compatible with an owner that wants to stick them in a box for 23 hours a day and then make them go in pointless circles. They have a very low boredom threshold.
All my ponies are natives, everyone has been a gem, I have them from about two, they live out as much as possible and never do the same thing two days in a row when ridden. My smartest, a welsh A, not a show pony, rides, drives and is a general nuisance but will look after any child that wants to have fun.

Yes, they are clever, they have to be.

Check me out with my first ever multiquote post. *polishes nails & looks smug*

Dave's Mam

Visit site
It saddens me to see kids on big warm bloods my 13hh Highland pony was two hands smaller than the rest of the pony club ponies jumping the 80cm cross country course on Sunday It was so obvious that the commentator commented on theirs being one of the best clear rounds he had seen for a long time. She easily competes with the big horses often beating them and very often receiving these type of comments. She finished 5th in a very large class only because neither the rider not I can work out how the optimum time works she is either way too fast or too slow if we steady her up. Fewer than 200 Highland foals were registered last year and that is what makes them endangered. In 5 years time those will be the next generation of ridden ponies most will never have a foal as they are the best, most versatile and companionable of ponies and of course only roughly half will be female. Fewer dedicated breeders are producing foals as they cannot afford the losses in financial terms It costs a lot more to get a foal to ridden age than the market will support in sale price. It applies to all the rare breeds there are too few being bred, there is not a guaranteed market as ponies are not as popular most but not all kids would rather be on a screen gaming machine than out getting wet and muddy. They are tragically under valued so they will continue to fall in numbers.

Sadly true.

alainax

Visit site
I have a Friesian and a fell. Does that mean both would be eligible for a foreign/ rare breeds class? I would have had always presumed only the Friesian would be and the fell would have to stick to the m&m.

ester

Visit site
I've never seen an athletic new forest :D even the leggy ones that look like they should move don't. And another conclusion of the weekend was much as I love welshies if you want to do workers, get a Connie!

huskydamage

Visit site
I'm suprised about the newforest, I know afew people with newforest and nf x, myself included. I do think though that the majority of adults are not interested in ponies. Unless you are (no offence intended here at all) a bit short probably you will look a bit silly on a small pony. I have seen someone my height (5'7) on a small exmoor and it looked worse than me on my 14hh ( and we are not pretty!) not that the pony was at all bothered carrying the rider. I think people tend to go for bigger horses, even seen kids on them!

Widgeon

Visit site
A well made up to height Exmoor will easily carry your weight. There are a number of people around your height riding Exmoors with no problems. I had a friend your height who did very well in ridden classes on her Exies. Be warned once you have ridden one you won't want to stop!!!

ooh sounds dangerous! I've never seen any round here (N Yorks) so I might have to go looking.

catkin

Visit site
I expect the native pony market is in indirect competition with the coloured cob market. Some people who may have bought a native pony especially the heavier breeds are possibly choosing cobs instead as they have a similar ability but are probably cheaper.

No no no. They are quite different animals and have been bred in very different ways for very different purposes. The large natives have always been ridden animals (along with their many other jobs) and it shows.

As for wanting a 'big flashy horse' - they may not be tall but you don't get much flashier than the Welsh showing at RWAS :) ; my Fell pony may not be very tall but he has oodles of presence and quality so is very 'flashy'; the character and presence of the ponies in the pictures on this thread show through very clearly.

Daughter of the Moor

Visit site
ooh sounds dangerous! I've never seen any round here (N Yorks) so I might have to go looking.

There are lots and lots of Exmoors in Yorkshire. Contact the Northern Area Rep, details on EPS website and have a look at the Yorkshire Exmoor Pony Trust FB page, YEPT have ponies conservation grazing all over North Yorkshire.