Really shocked by this picture in horse and hound this week. Is it just me!?

Patterdale

Visit site
The message seriously is not getting through. If that horse was as far the other end of the condition scoring they’d be liable to prosecution. It’s cruelty.

What’s worrying though is that this isn’t a post on social media. This is in the magazine, a magazine that claims to speak out against equine obesity but that’s plainly just lip service. This has passed under the eyes of dozens of people who all must have thought it ok. More than ok - a good picture to use!

It’s disgusting. Poor horse.

Velcrobum

Visit site
Perhaps write to H&H if enough people do it they might take notice. I for one wish that condition scoring was a mandatory part of the judging process with serious deductions the fatter they are. Great Yorkshire was starting to make steps in the welfare direction by stopping people too heavy for the pony riding them.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Honestly that picture is why I switched to dressage.....

Rider in a chair seat, horse over-weight, over-bent and on the forehand.

Don't get me wrong, none of us are perfect, pictures can be a moment in time and dressage also has its flaws. But for that picture to be held up as an 'ideal' tells you all you need to know about ridden showing IMO....

It's a shame, show horses are often brilliant once you undo some of the showing habits and get the weight off.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Perhaps write to H&H if enough people do it they might take notice. I for one wish that condition scoring was a mandatory part of the judging process with serious deductions the fatter they are. Great Yorkshire was starting to make steps in the welfare direction by stopping people too heavy for the pony riding them.

They were only interested in adults riding ponies, it wasnt really about being too heavy at all, as various unsuitable combos were allowed to compete still.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They were only interested in adults riding ponies, it wasnt really about being too heavy at all, as various unsuitable combos were allowed to compete still.
and based on current pony weight not 'ideal' iirc. which just adds to this issue.

I suspect a fair number do get lami, you just dont ever hear about them.

windand rain

Visit site
Why don’t these obese horses get laminitis? Mine are no where near that fat and still
I struggle ?‍♀️?
Many do but if they survive long enough to win big the producers get good positive advertising and prestige. I hate the way showing does so much damage as the problem of obesity filter down to those starting out an hundreds more suffer. Condition scoring done by a trained operative would help reduce this. I keep seeing posts here and on social media telling people with slim horses that they need feeding up and they look poor. When most look great. The welfare issue with fat horses is as bad as the neglect and skinny horses in fact in some cases worse. Sorry get off my soapbox but it is something I feel strongly about

AdorableAlice

Visit site
"Lightweight." Bloody nora.

Edit: Flipped the picture to make it easier to see.

It is a lightweight cob, that is unfit, haylage belly on it, little top line, fat crest, thick jowl which shows very badly on this picture due to being winched in and forcing the jowl shut.

The definition of lightweight, heavyweight and maxi cob has nothing to do with the physical weight of the cob.

Pippity

Visit site
It is a lightweight cob, that is unfit, haylage belly on it, little top line, fat crest, thick jowl which shows very badly on this picture due to being winched in and forcing the jowl shut.

The definition of lightweight, heavyweight and maxi cob has nothing to do with the physical weight of the cob.

Oh, I know! It just seemed particularly ironic considering the fat pads on the horse in question.

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
I felt sadder for those poor little poppets in the showing article with their silly red ribbons sticking out the side of their heads, carbon copies of one another and EVERY pony in the main picture being in a Wilkie. Poor children, and poor ponies.

The article that went with the photos though was excellent. Really balanced and interesting.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
When I was in my teens and going hunting back in the late 60's, there was someone who hunted two gorgeous true cobs, a grey and a chestnut. In superb condition, hogged and tails plaited up out of the way. They were fabulous and I am sure were also shown, they were certainly cracking hunters. They have always been my blueprint for what a cob should look like. Haven't seen anything to equal them since mores the pity.