Rearing horse

Mgoddard

Visit site
Thanks for updating the thread. What a nightmare. It's enough to put anyone off selling a horse.
I was starting to take the view we all make mistakes and thought I'd offer OP help but you just can't work with some people.....
I hope the drama can be put to bed soon for you. I doubt anyone will be selling her a horse anytime soon.
Let’s hope not..

Mgoddard

Visit site
Thank you so much for the update RubyNoir, I'm relieved it's turned out so well for Freckles but I have a lot of sympathy for the owners. Can they get some legal advice - CAB? BHS? - about whether they have to refund the full amount when the horse has been returned to them worth less due to her bad experiences and also given that the OP has bad mouthed them on social media? It doesn't seem right she should walk away from this at no cost and still carry on libelling people who have done nothing wrong.
I am looking into it.. more threats received last night via someone connected to her because I have asked for a public apology. And yes I have been in contact with the legal team at the BHS (I am a member) and they have given some great advice, as well as being disgusted of course!

Mgoddard

Visit site
Glad the horse ended up out of the buyer's hands.

The threats are ridiculous and I am glad that they were reported. I, personally, don't care if you're 18, 14, or 44, you need to be held accontable for your words and you do not get away with such rubbish! "Take things to a whole new level" come on, get over yourself, you effed up, apologize, learn, and move on. Arrogance and entitlement are two traits that I just cannot stand.
Well said! Unfortunately not everyone has these morals.

hellfire

Visit site
I am looking into it.. more threats received last night via someone connected to her because I have asked for a public apology. And yes I have been in contact with the legal team at the BHS (I am a member) and they have given some great advice, as well as being disgusted of course!
Excellent news. The legal team will be able to help you in sure with where to go now and how to go about things. Your not at fault at all and technically it’s slander and harassment so she can take it to a whole other level but doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Good luck and hope it works out for you and your freckles finds the compassionate home she needs.

Mgoddard

Visit site
Excellent news. The legal team will be able to help you in sure with where to go now and how to go about things. Your not at fault at all and technically it’s slander and harassment so she can take it to a whole other level but doesn’t have a leg to stand on. Good luck and hope it works out for you and your freckles finds the compassionate home she needs.
Thank you! Pretty stressful experience but hey ho. Life goes on just glad my horse is now in safe, sensible hands again.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

I would be taking advice on how much of a refund needs to be made, given that there was no legal right to return, and that the horse has been devalued partly because of what was done with her against the advice of the seller, but mostly because the horse is now all over the net as a serious rearer.

Last edited:

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
But it wasn't when it was sold! It's become one because the new owner completely ignored the advice how to ride it.

Agreed. Amazing how relevant this thread has become again with new evidence and the owner coming on to let us know how it’s going. Especially when people had thought it had ran its course ;)

The horse can’t be hacked alone. That’s not something you can tackle five days into a new partnership. Took me 3months to get one of my horses hacking alone and her rearing made freckles’ look like A bunny Hop. You need to build trust before you tackle ingrained issues, anyone with a grain of horse sense knows that.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Let’s say I’m sceptical. I think in the sellers shoes I’d just refund the money (although I’m assuming they have), and be done with it.

But then, none of us no what the truth is and what’s fiction. I guess it’s probably somewhere in the middle ??‍♀️
Agree, there is always more than one side to a story, but the buyer has behaved atrociously and the seller has stepped up. I wouldn't have sold the horse at all, but at least the seller was forthright in describing it. The horse has been considerably devalued by it's treatment, to say the least, and the buyer has behaved appallingly and deserves no sympathy at all.

Buyer has condemned herself out of her own mouth.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Well this has all made for very interesting reading. I am the owner of the horse in question and unfortunately sold her to this individual. Thankfully I have taken this horse back, I was threatened by this person saying if I did not take her back she was being PTS, I know there is no legal obligation and no ethical vet would put a healthy animal to sleep however I am a good and understanding person so for my horses sake I have taken her back. Now that she is safe I can respond to this and also disclose the dreadful behaviour that has been seen (yes I know how does it get worse than threatening to have an animal put to sleep cause it’s not working out). Ok so back to the beginning, Freckles (ridden by my 14 year old daughter) has a nap, this is rearing. More like bunny hops, they are a strop and she works brilliantly once she knows you won’t stand for it, simple. Or this is her reaction to fear, some horses bolt some buck and some rear, all horses have a reaction when stressed or frightened. Another key fact here is this horse was sold (described in the advert, told in person and physically hacked out on 2nd viewing with company) as a horse that DOESN’T hack alone. The new owner decided that on day 5 of ownership she would hack this poor mare out alone. Causing her to of course rear and not the napping previously mentioned, she reared, big and dangerous (I was send videos) She reacted to the fear of being out alone, no time to settle in her new surroundings, quite frankly a monument lack of judgment, compassion and understanding for this poor animal. She contacted me and I calmly explained she doesn’t hack alone and to give her time. Other messages were exchanged (none were heated) and more advice given from myself regarding allowing the horse to settle, bond with her work with her slowly. Did she take this advice? No. Instead she decided to get a “professional rider” to take her out on another hack (with company at least) on a busy road, in what world would this ever help? My 11 year old would know better. I would very much like to know who this rider was because unless she was lied to there is no way any professional would do this if they were aware of the history, length of time she has had the horse etc. I then enquired that evening as to how the day had gone (not knowing any of this) to which I got a horrifying video of my poor horse stressed and rearing in a main road almost coming down on cars, the so called professional rider obviously has not had experience sitting rears as she simply yanked on poor Freckles mouth and I am shocked she didn’t tip right over. I received this plus the threats to have her PTS if I don’t take her back. This girl had shown her true colours and for Freckles safety I took her back. Unfortunately the individual then proceeded to post this dreadful video onto Instagram and try to discredit me on a horse dealer page on Facebook. She claimed she is a novice rider, she didn’t know what she was buying and this was her first horse, all of which are untrue. I have since sort legal advice and have asked for a Public apology which I think is the very least that should be done, as this reckless, cruel individual pushed a frightened, stressed animal and endangered both her and the public in doing so. Instead of an apology I have also received threatening texts (these have been reported to the police) saying if they do not have a full refund by 8am this morning they will “take things to a whole new level” and will come to my home. I have never said I will not refund but due to this horrific actions I think an apology and the truth to the 6000+ followers this person has on Instagram is the very least that should be done.

Well done for doing right by your horse .

Visit site
Mgoddard, i am so pleased that Freckles is home and away from this person.

OP, if you are reading this thread (which i am sure you are!), you should be absolutely ashamed of your behaviour. You are clearly extremely immature and unaware of the potential consequences of your actions. Might be time to slope off into the background now, hang your head in shame over the whole situation and say a prayer that you get some money back.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Let’s say I’m sceptical. I think in the sellers shoes I’d just refund the money (although I’m assuming they have), and be done with it.

But then, none of us no what the truth is and what’s fiction. I guess it’s probably somewhere in the middle ??‍♀️

Buyer has video evidence of horse rearing, seller can't prove it didn't do this beforehand when owned by themselves...I sense this could get messy ?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Buyer has video evidence of horse rearing, seller can't prove it didn't do this beforehand when owned by themselves...I sense this could get messy ?

I agree it could get messy and would also refund all the money or all minus transport costs just to get out of the situation.

However, the seller says they disclosed the horse rears and doesn't hack alone and says they advised the buyer not to hack it in front, so they could presumably argue that the buyer put the horse in a situation likely to escalate its behaviour- I don't think the seller has ever claimed that the horse didn't rear?

The problem with taking these things to court is that usually the person deciding is not horsey and unless it is really clear cut they are unlikely to see any difference between a "bunny hop" and a full "up and nearly over" rear.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Wait, what?

Seller said that the horses rears. Seller said horse doesn't do well alone or in front while hacking. Buyer is aware. Buyer sets horse up for failure. Buyer complains that horse rears. Buyer states that they knew this though, as seller disclosed.

Not too messy, really. Maybe if you want to debate the definition of a "rear" and it's details as far as height...or something.

Wishfilly

Visit site
I think the potential for things to get messy is because the sellers haven't refunded money, unless I'm misreading the thread. So there could be legal issues with regards to ownership.

I think the seller is hoping to claim OP has reduced the value of the horse- but I think that would be hard to prove? We can see that the horse has been set up for failure (and plastered all over the internet) but I'm not sure how that would be viewed legally.

But we don't have all the details, so this is just speculation- it depends what has been agreed between the seller and buyer in writing on return of the horse, I think.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i am just pleased the horse is away from this person. when i first had my loan horse she appeared settled , after about 9 months i realised that she wasnt settled at the beginning, she had shut down and i told the buyer that freckles may only appear to be settled but horses take a long while to get used to new owners, new place, and being treated differently, she took no notice of any of the well intentioned advice most of us gave and at 18 she is old enough to take responsibility for her actions and not blame it on the seller who IMO did the best they could to ensure the horse would be treated in the best way to minimise stress which causes napping/rearing...thank goodness no one was seriously hurt...

Wishfilly

Visit site
I do think from a seller's point of view, selling these sorts of horses can be difficult- often when people have a horse like this that's a bit tricky or has "issues" they manage the situation in lots of subtle ways they may not even really be aware of, and minimise the issues through their management. So, they sell the horse on with what they think is "full disclosure" and the buyer gets on ok when they try the horse because it's kept in situations it can manage.

And then the horse goes with the buyer to a new situation where things are different and gets unsettled, and the buyer does things differently and has problems and feels the seller has not been honest. Even if the seller tries to help, often the buyer just cannot manage things exactly as they did, and it can end up with a really difficult situation for all parties- and of course the horse stuck in the middle of this. That doesn't mean the buyer is justified in slagging the sellers off all over the internet, or in lying, though.

I think it's one of the reasons why buying and selling horses is so tough (especially as a private seller)- you never really know how a horse will react in a new environment until it gets there.