Rearing horse

PSD

Visit site
Poor horse, that’s who I feel sorry for in all of this. The sellers have been well and truly messed around too.

I hope they get to the bottom of the behaviour. As for you OP, let this be a lesson learnt. Buy something that’s suitable to your skill level, or loan until you are experienced enough.

Nari

Visit site
Thank you so much for the update RubyNoir, I'm relieved it's turned out so well for Freckles but I have a lot of sympathy for the owners. Can they get some legal advice - CAB? BHS? - about whether they have to refund the full amount when the horse has been returned to them worth less due to her bad experiences and also given that the OP has bad mouthed them on social media? It doesn't seem right she should walk away from this at no cost and still carry on libelling people who have done nothing wrong.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Was there any need to post that CC, as the situation is now resolved?

felt it was relevant to the thread. It was posted by the owner now taking the horse back. Also folk were discussing a full refund and whether or not it would be warranted. If she was willing to pay to have the horse put down then why should she have a full refund.

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
felt it was relevant to the thread. It was posted by the owner now taking the horse back. Also folk were discussing a full refund and whether or not it would be warranted. If she was will to pay to have the horse put down then why should she have a full refund.

I think that this thread has run its course, and your post has done nothing to add to it.

PSD

Visit site
CC your screenshot is interesting when they mentioned horse being drugged. I know when OP viewed the horse it was very sluggish and lethargic, perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye. At least everyone, including horse is safe.

MiniMilton

Visit site
felt it was relevant to the thread. It was posted by the owner now taking the horse back. Also folk were discussing a full refund and whether or not it would be warranted. If she was will to pay to have the horse put down then why should she have a full refund.

Yes. So the buyer was going to get the horse PTS at a cost of a couple of hundred quid, the original owner steps in to save the horse so why should they pay 2500 to do that

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
CC your screenshot is interesting when they mentioned horse being drugged. I know when OP viewed the horse it was very sluggish and lethargic, perhaps there is more to this story than meets the eye. At least everyone, including horse is safe.

i found it interesting for a number of reasons but given the possible temperature when the horse was tried I wouldn’t really think anything of a horse bring lethargic in the heat we have been having. Many other things can make a horse tired feeling otherwise than drugs. Also it still reared so if that drugged wouldn’t have so I’ll take that with a pinch of salt. Our boys have been wanting in for a sleep more with the heat.

Mind you this current weather is a million miles away from summer

Nari

Visit site
So she'd have spent money having her PTS, but wants a full refund from the person she bought from if they take her back. Shame on her. And the drama queen language of that screen shot annoys me too. No the horse was not trying to kill you, chances are that if that was it's intention you'd be dead. And in my opinion it's not the horse putting the public in danger it's the idiot taking it on the road when it's behaving like this. Yet again the OP is taking no responsibility for her actions and instead is blaming everyone else.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
RubyNoir thanks for the update. I hope it can all be resolved but I still feel the original owners have to take a little responsibility for the current situation. OP didn't tell them she was a novice but it doesn't take a genius when you see someone's riding, or listen to things they say. However, I do feel bad for them that being completely blamed for the situation :(

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
Thanks for the update. I felt a bit sorry but hopeful for OP having been in a similar situation with a new project horse recently, and although sold as a project with no fault to the seller, i felt over horsed and out of my depth with this mares ridden behaviour as she was so sharp and nappy, so i advised the OP to surround herself with a really good team and take her time getting the foundations right. I'm glad the horse is now back with the correct owners and i hope the OP seriously grows up!
As much as i felt like sending my horse back at 8 days .... 16 days .... and every day in-between, lol, I'm glad i surrounded myself with professionals immediately and took my time getting to know this new horse because 8 weeks in she is pretty damn special but will always be a sensitive soul and im totally in love with her and we are having so much fun together :)

PSD

Visit site
Thanks for the update. I felt a bit sorry but hopeful for OP having been in a similar situation with a new project horse recently, and although sold as a project with no fault to the seller, i felt over horsed and out of my depth with this mares ridden behaviour as she was so sharp and nappy, so i advised the OP to surround herself with a really good team and take her time getting the foundations right. I'm glad the horse is now back with the correct owners and i hope the OP seriously grows up!
As much as i felt like sending my horse back at 8 days .... 16 days .... and every day in-between, lol, I'm glad i surrounded myself with professionals immediately and took my time getting to know this new horse because 8 weeks in she is pretty damn special but will always be a sensitive soul and im totally in love with her and we are having so much fun together :)

I’m glad you stuck by your horse! That’s what has annoyed me with this thread. OP bought a known rearer, had the horse what, a week? And already given up. If that was me (and yes, I know it everyone is the same) I would have investigated further and hopefully rectified the issue, especially since the horse was purchased with a known issue.

mini_b

Visit site
I’m glad you stuck by your horse! That’s what has annoyed me with this thread. OP bought a known rearer, had the horse what, a week? And already given up. If that was me (and yes, I know it everyone is the same) I would have investigated further and hopefully rectified the issue, especially since the horse was purchased with a known issue.

it had only been a week.
yes it rears - she knew it rears however she didn’t give it much of a chance to settle to all the change.
New home, new owner.
she might have had more of a chance had she let it chill out a bit and start doing the basics with a trainer;
rather than doing all the stuff she knew triggered it ie hacking alone or in front or whatever it was now.

I think some people forget horses are sentient and expect it to be 100% foot perfect from day one.

We truly do not deserve horses (Or dogs!)
They give so much to us yet people continue to expect too much and wonder why they break. Very sad.

PSD

Visit site
it had only been a week.
yes it rears - she knew it rears however she didn’t give it much of a chance to settle to all the change.
New home, new owner.
she might have had more of a chance had she let it chill out a bit and start doing the basics with a trainer;
rather than doing all the stuff she knew triggered it ie hacking alone or in front or whatever it was now.

I think some people forget horses are sentient and expect it to be 100% foot perfect from day one.

We truly do not deserve horses (Or dogs!)
They give so much to us yet people continue to expect too much and wonder why they break. Very sad.

100% agree with you there.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

Potentially an unpopular opinion, but whilst the OP has definitely gone about it the wrong way, I really don't think there's any shame in the OP knowing they are way out of their depth and calling it quits early doors. I'd far rather someone acknowledge they've overhorsed themselves than see them or the horse get seriously hurt through stubbornness or misguided loyalty.

I wouldn't have bought a rearer in the first place, but had I found myself in OP's shoes, and having seen the sort of shapes the horse could pull when ridden by a pro I would be more inclined to retire it to pasture or PTS, than go searching for answers and risk throwing good money after bad.

Dwyran_gold

Visit site
Potentially an unpopular opinion, but whilst the OP has definitely gone about it the wrong way, I really don't think there's any shame in the OP knowing they are way out of their depth and calling it quits early doors. I'd far rather someone acknowledge they've overhorsed themselves than see them or the horse get seriously hurt through stubbornness or misguided loyalty.

I wouldn't have bought a rearer in the first place, but had I found myself in OP's shoes, and having seen the sort of shapes the horse could pull when ridden by a pro I would be more inclined to retire it to pasture or PTS, than go searching for answers and risk throwing good money after bad.

very true, I think they’ll struggle to sell the horse now after all the attention and rightly so seeing what it’s capable of x

MiniMilton

Visit site
I'd far rather someone acknowledge they've overhorsed themselves

She didn't do this though. She launched into accusing the seller of being in the wrong.
If the OP had gone back to the seller and said I've realised I'm way out of my depth here and can I give her back and get a partial refund then this thread and all the Facebook threads would never have existed.

Any sympathy I had vanished when I saw the rather spiteful threat to have the horse PTS if she didn't get a refund.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
She didn't do this though. She launched into accusing the seller of being in the wrong.
If the OP had gone back to the seller and said I've realised I'm way out of my depth here and can I give her back and get a partial refund then this thread and all the Facebook threads would never have existed.

Any sympathy I had vanished when I saw the rather spiteful threat to have the horse PTS if she didn't get a refund.

I like how you selectively chose one part of my post to quote and ignored the part where I stated the OP has definitely gone about it the wrong way. Also, my comment was in reference to a PP who had criticised the OP for giving up on the horse after one week. I have not for one moment suggested the OP has conducted themselves in a positive manner, but I think it's worth remembering that there's an 18yo sat somewhere behind this thread. Yes, they're technically an adult, but honestly I'm pretty sure most of us have done things we regret at that age.

I've only seen what's been posted on here so won't comment on Facebook threads or anything else that they may or may not have said elsewhere, but I wouldn't automatically assume the suggestion of PTS was spiteful given there were many posters suggesting the OP did just that at the start of this thread as the fact of the matter is horse's that rear vertically with no thought to themselves or the rider are incredibly dangerous.

Of course I feel sorry for the original owners, but equally I don't think they are completely blameless in all of this. It's usually fairly obvious when you're faced with a novice claiming to be more experienced than they are so I'm not totally convinced it wasn't a case of turning a blind eye and hoping for the best where OP was concerned. Ultimately, at the end of the day the horse is back in safe hands now and hopefully the owners will be a bit more diligent if they choose to sell the mare on again.