Renvers or travers?

Cob Life

Visit site
One of the cobs i ride I am looking to further his lateral work now!

But having never actually taught a horse renver or travers before I'm a bit stumped at which to teach first?

My Instinct says travers

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have always done travers first as well. Its pretty similar in terms of aids but I have found that mine get the initial idea of putting their quarters inside the track more easily than the renvers positioning. It sort of plays into a horses natural crookedness ;)
If they get stuck some horses find it easier to get the idea via a leg yield with head to the wall keeping the body fairly straight and quarters to the inside. You can then add the bend once they understand the concept of moving that way.

Wheels

Visit site
Depends on the horse, if they are very forward than travers is ok but if they're a bit backward thinking then the head to the fence can stint forward movement even more. Renvers can be difficult to get the right positioning straight away although going in from shoulder in to straight to a few steps of renvers can help with the positioning.

With my current horse I started with half pass in walk as he found that quite easy

Cob Life

Visit site
Thank you everyone! We struggled with shoulder in today (we both were a bit preoccupied) so not tried to teach anything more today, jumping tomorrow for a bit of fun for him and trying to scare the life out of me (despite the fact you couldn't find a safer horse to jump!)

Cob Life

Visit site
I would not start the renvers / travers / half pass until the shoulder in is secure

enjoy your jumping :)
It normally is, first time we've had issues with it really, even when I was teaching him shoulder in he kinda went "oh this? Okay" and that was that.

Leg yield was hard to teach as to him leg meant go faster not bend or move over, it took a good 4 months to teach him leg yield. By the time we got to shoulder in he understood leg doesn't just mean go faster