Reporting a near miss to the police - car passing too close, too fast

cauda equina

Visit site
I've done the BHS incident thing, but is there any point in reporting it to the police too? I know the registration number

If so, how best to do it - 111, or some other way?
Thanks

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
They take it quite seriously round here. A number of drivers have points and fines which they didn't previously have ... and ignoring dangerous driving around horses just makes the roads even more dangerous for everyone else.

You can probably report it online which only takes a few minutes, and what have you got to lose? They usually prefer a bit of video evidence but a registration number will be a good start.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Do you believe that reporting will make any difference to the world ?
The police certainly went and had a ‘quiet word’ with the driving school instructor who nearly rear ended me and my horse when he drove too fast round a blind bend in his liveried driving school car. No dash cam footage, and we got only part of the reg number, but the driving school name was clear to see.

I like to think that the boss of the driving school subsequently ramped up his ideas of how his driving instructors should teach their pupils how to drive round blind bends, let alone how they drive them themselves.

OP please yes do report it. The police might already have reports of this driver and this might be very useful extra evidence.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
The driver that drove past me at speed even though I stopped for him pled guilty to dangerous driving. He got points and a fine and was going to be attending a driver awareness course.

He sent his sincerest apologies through the officer and said he was truly sorry.

The police are adamant in cracking down on this with riders and cyclists and they said to report every single incident with footage or not.

Barklands

Visit site
I think it can. It is also taken very seriously around me and the police will often go and speak to the driver. I think many drivers don't mean to drive dangerously near riders and it is quite often ignorance. Only the other day was I telling my OH off for passing a horse at 30mph rather than 10 and he's been around my horses for years!

Sometimes education can be the best prevention.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
I am sorry to hear of this incident. I would definitely report this incident to the Police and insist that they give you an ‘Incident Number’ (so that you know it has been recorded on their systems database).

Most police forces now have a ‘Snap Portal’ where you can send in hat cam coverage. Check on: https://nextbase.co.uk/national-das...vFa_PnQDKOp32qyvuFZ7bJ4ewSEcZRiFl51xjDqfHA5Tw

If the Police fail to respond then ask to speak to the Duty Officer. If you are still unhappy with their answer then contact your local Police Crime Commissioner.

Please also report all incidents to either the Horse i App or www.horseincidents.org.uk web site as the statistics from this are used to identify ‘Hot Spots’ for equine incidents which can be used when lobbying for local or national changes to improve equine safety.

In addition, if you know of several incidents along this stretch of road you have the option of organising a Police ‘Slow Pass’ Operation along this stretch of road, which involves a ridden or driven horse being observed by Police Officers and any dangerous drivers are stopped and talked to.

To organise a Police Slow Pass Operation contact the Safety Department of the BHS H.Q.
Tel: 02476 840516 E-mail: safety@bhs.org.uk

As regards other measures you can take, I would recommend wearing a long sleeved Hi-Viz jacket so that other road users can clearly see your hand signals and also wearing a Hat-Cam such as the Techalogic DC-1 which films both forwards and backwards at the same time. (If you order on their web site www.techalogic.co.uk and use the discount code PWAS1 you will get a 7% discount)! When wearing a Hat/Cam always speak out the Registration Number of the vehicle so that you have got a record of it as sometimes the camera does not pick it out.

Also when your local authority is reviewing or creating a new Neighbourhood Plan, District Plan , Local Traffic Plan, Local Walking Cycling Infrastructure Plan, Active Travel Plan or a Greenway Plan make sure that you contact them and request that Equestrians (Horse Riders and Carriage Drivers) are included as ‘Vulnerable Road Users’ as they will then be compelled to introduce traffic calming or signage when requested to do so.

If you only get a partial number plate reading check here www.partialnumberplate.co.uk

Polos Mum

Visit site
If the person has a track record of this sort of thing (even if the police have done nothing they will have a record of previous complaints) then there is a chance they do something.

Worth investing in a camera, I send in c.3 people a week to Operation Snap (in West Yorkshire) and they release prosecution rates for the whole thing quarterly. About 70% of what gets submitted ends up in points / fines / awareness courses or more. So it is well worth it when the police have a simple system that auto fines people (it's easy conviction rates for them!)

I want my bit of road to have a reputation for fines among the taxi drivers / delivery people and regular users so I send in as many as I can - which is far too many sadly.

Barklands

Visit site
I don’t use a hat cam as I’m worried that it might affect the safety of the hat - anyone know if that’s true or not?
I think there must be some evidence to that as I am assuming that's why they are banned from BE? I could of course be wrong in that though! There are other types of cameras that strap across your chest if you wanted to wear one without that worry.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I don’t use a hat cam as I’m worried that it might affect the safety of the hat - anyone know if that’s true or not?
My husband went batshyte when I mentioned a hat cam. They are banned in motorsport regarding fixing to persons for good reason (has to fix to vehicle/bike and not protrude from the line of bodywork)
Michael Schumacher's skiing accident just over 10 yrs ago was allegedly accelerated as his helmet cam caught.

Friend has similar husband to mine, she uses a button cam that fixes on her front, but this is mainly for recording rides and irritating dogs etc as like me, she doesn't really have roadwork.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
My husband went batshyte when I mentioned a hat cam. They are banned in motorsport regarding fixing to persons for good reason (has to fix to vehicle/bike and not protrude from the line of bodywork)
Michael Schumacher's skiing accident just over 10 yrs ago was allegedly accelerated as his helmet cam caught.

Friend has similar husband to mine, she uses a button cam that fixes on her front, but this is mainly for recording rides and irritating dogs etc as like me, she doesn't really have roadwork.
I definitely prefer my little clip on one that attaches to my pocket than the techalogic, although I did wear it when I had to ride on a really bad road and was reporting drivers in a weekly basis.

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Im not sure about the safety of the hat being compromised but I used to race motorbikes on a track and we were not allowed to wear them as they could fall off get stuck in any part of the bike. Hit another rider or record footage of an accident. That was in our terms and conditions every weekend when we signed on. That was an official race weekend. However when I was at practice at knockhill on track days, we were allowed to wear them.

Abby-Lou

Visit site
Please report to the police. I had a similar experience was riding out early sunday morning with newly backed pony only 3rd time out on road, car came at speed pipping horn multiple times coming past me. I sat deep, to be honest I froze the pony was a saint and didn't bother. I was lucky a villager also saw what happened and reported to police another car stopped to check we were ok. I also reported to police, it went to court and the person was fined and got points on his license. I think he was a known individual to the police and that's why they took it seriously.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site

Please report to the police. I had a similar experience was riding out early sunday morning with newly backed pony only 3rd time out on road, car came at speed pipping horn multiple times coming past me. I sat deep, to be honest I froze the pony was a saint and didn't bother. I was lucky a villager also saw what happened and reported to police another car stopped to check we were ok. I also reported to police, it went to court and the person was fined and got points on his license. I think he was a known individual to the police and that's why they took it seriously.
And that’s why we report @bonny