Retraining ex-racers thread

Gamebird

Visit site
A last update for a while as I'm going away, and my horses are going to have a wee holiday. But I couldn't go away without trying a wee jump on the racehorse - too impatient to see what is in there. I mean I know he can jump regulation chase fences (at 4m and 2m3 speed, which are very different things!), but that doesn't always translate to an ability to pop coloured poles!

I love the head toss afterwards. I think that's a happy horse who's pleased to be leaving the ground! Plenty to look forwards to when I get back.

Cates123

Visit site
I have a question about how everyone keeps their ex racers calm when they're having more excitable moments?

Mine has had 4 weeks off due to a small hock injury and was an angel throughout box rest / restricted t/o and our first ridden exercise (we've got a month of walk ahead of us). I'm trying to mix in some short hacks on the roads because he loves going out but he's started to get very excitable as we're leaving if he has to wait at all - kicking out, small bucks etc as the yard gate is opened. It makes me second guess taking him out - he's always been great on the road and by himself but it does feel that something could trigger him when he goes out that souped up and our hacking is mostly roads - so I often take him to the school instead to be safe. As soon as he's in the arena he's a big dope and walks around with no issue. I also have to dismount and lead him to the school as he starts to nap if he isn't allowed on the hack. Now I understand that this is all really not that extraordinary given he's a 4yr old TB who's just had a month off, and I am thankful that he's been so good in so many ways throughout the injury, but in general he does seem to have these triggers where he starts to lose himself and I'd like to find a way to work through it as I think it may be something we experience when we go out to competitions or fun rides in the future (I've not had him long enough to find out yet). At present, trying to stay calm and make him relax can actually escalate things as he just wants to move forward. He's kept at home and I don't have anyone to ride out with nor many people to assist on the ground so we have to figure these things out just the two of us!

My main plan would be to hack all the time so he gets less excited but with the light and weather, and then needing to navigate rush hour it's not always possible. I'm toying with the idea of moving him to a livery yard that's got off road hacking from the door for a few months as my winter plan revolved entirely around hacking but I do love having him at home and am not keen for him to move again.....decisions!

Any tips anyone has about how to keep that baby TB brain from fizzing over would be great!

Carrottom

Visit site
Is his turnout still restricted? If so I doubt there is much you can do.
I use figures of eight and spiral circles to get a bend in the body to engage the brain.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
trying to stay calm and make him relax can actually escalate things as he just wants to move forward.

You staying calm is essential but you can't make him relax. It sounds like you're holding him up to try to make him relax and if so that's probably the worst thing you can do to a racing TB. You probably need to send him forward. I find it best to send them forward in trot but also keep them bent laterally, which makes it much more difficult for them to take a hold and run.

humblepie

Visit site
Can you try to plan round it. So lead him round and only get on when yard gate being opened. Racehorses are often led for a while whilst rides getting ready. Similarly with the school. Can you lead him round the school for a while then get on. That might sound a wimpy approach but it’s trying t think what he may be used to. I found mine got a lot of confidence from having someone on the ground even if it was me until I got on. I was often on my own so need to think things through.

BACR

Visit site
I have a question about how everyone keeps their ex racers calm when they're having more excitable moments?

Mine has had 4 weeks off due to a small hock injury and was an angel throughout box rest / restricted t/o and our first ridden exercise (we've got a month of walk ahead of us). I'm trying to mix in some short hacks on the roads because he loves going out but he's started to get very excitable as we're leaving if he has to wait at all - kicking out, small bucks etc as the yard gate is opened. It makes me second guess taking him out - he's always been great on the road and by himself but it does feel that something could trigger him when he goes out that souped up and our hacking is mostly roads - so I often take him to the school instead to be safe. As soon as he's in the arena he's a big dope and walks around with no issue. I also have to dismount and lead him to the school as he starts to nap if he isn't allowed on the hack. Now I understand that this is all really not that extraordinary given he's a 4yr old TB who's just had a month off, and I am thankful that he's been so good in so many ways throughout the injury, but in general he does seem to have these triggers where he starts to lose himself and I'd like to find a way to work through it as I think it may be something we experience when we go out to competitions or fun rides in the future (I've not had him long enough to find out yet). At present, trying to stay calm and make him relax can actually escalate things as he just wants to move forward. He's kept at home and I don't have anyone to ride out with nor many people to assist on the ground so we have to figure these things out just the two of us!

My main plan would be to hack all the time so he gets less excited but with the light and weather, and then needing to navigate rush hour it's not always possible. I'm toying with the idea of moving him to a livery yard that's got off road hacking from the door for a few months as my winter plan revolved entirely around hacking but I do love having him at home and am not keen for him to move again.....decisions!

Any tips anyone has about how to keep that baby TB brain from fizzing over would be great!
I'm with ycbm and humble pie, send him forwards but try and get some lateral work in if he is bubbling over a bit. Also, walking in hand so he can get confidence from you on the ground. It all depends on where you are with him in his training progression as well though. Mine used to get quite fired up when he first came into work, he used to bounce everywhere. I just used sit up and give the rein. Sometimes it's difficult if you don't know how far they are going to escalate things but you'll find out what his go to is over time. Almost two years down the line I've got a completely different horse, if he starts losing it now I pick up the contact and put him to work, transitions, lateral work, etc. and he calms down straight away because he's focussed on his job. In my experience though it's imperative not to hold them up when they are early in their retraining. Use that natural forwardness to build confidence between the two of you. If he wants to crack on let him and enjoy the ride (as long as it's safe for you both and he's not running away all over the place).

J_sarahd

Visit site
You staying calm is essential but you can't make him relax. It sounds like you're holding him up to try to make him relax and if so that's probably the worst thing you can do to a racing TB. You probably need to send him forward. I find it best to send them forward in trot but also keep them bent laterally, which makes it much more difficult for them to take a hold and run.
Massively agree with this! It’s taken me a long time but I’ve realised that sending my girl forward and getting her moving and doing shapes etc is the way to get her to relax. If I wander around, with a tight grip on the reins, with no purpose or set plan, she is far more likely to explode.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Fresh clip for Bugalugs. He's booked in to go hunting next month 😬 I caved and put shoes back on.
JbP4QEz.jpg

jdi6xKI.jpg

ycbm

Visit site
I'm jealous of you hunting. I would love to hunt Charlie but both hunts near me are renowned for hunting fox and the drag packs and bloodhounds have folded. have fun!

IrishMilo

Visit site
I'm jealous of you hunting. I would love to hunt Charlie but both hunts near me are renowned for hunting fox and the drag packs and bloodhounds have folded. have fun!

Ah what a shame! We have a few packs local and a great one up the road who are very friendly. It will be interesting!

Cates123

Visit site
Massively agree with this! It’s taken me a long time but I’ve realised that sending my girl forward and getting her moving and doing shapes etc is the way to get her to relax. If I wander around, with a tight grip on the reins, with no purpose or set plan, she is far more likely to explode.
Thanks for all the responses. I'm a great advocate of sending forward I was just trying to think of things to work on when this isn't an option eg at a closed gate, when you have to wait for a car/tractor to pass. He's generally quiet if you can get straight out - and I have taken the advice of riding in the school first and then taking him on to hack with much success - thank you! I just have this underlying impression that, whilst he's a generally sensible lad, there seems to be a tipping point when anxiety gets the better of him. I don't think I've seen it at full mast yet (and maybe he doesn't ever go that far and it's my mind in overdrive) but I'd like the tools ready in case. My main focus for the future is for him is be calm not matter what the situation (may be wishful thinking) and I'm looking for ways to work on this......I do acknowledge that rehab may not be the best time for this haha.
On this point, I'm thinking of taking him away next month for a few days to a place that does horse B&B with great hacking from the doorstep. Anyone have any recommendations in the North West region?

ycbm

Visit site
Big milestone today. We've done all 5 miles of the farm ride on the sandy and sometimes stony track without boots on. He took 5 months to get there, but he was a "typical" flat footed thin soled TB, so he's done it quite quickly. I was prepared for it to take a year. I knew if I paid £240 for a new pair of boots he wouldn't need them 🤣

We're also jumping lots of new things, and I'm going to have to increase the height to give him more of a challenge. I plan now to get him jumping out of canter and doing coloured poles.

I've almost cracked the water issues and can now get him to reverse into man-made ponds. It's ridiculous, he forded a stream 40 feet wide and a foot deep when it was overflowing the farm ride on Saturday after the storm, but he refuses to step into a shallow man-made pond and won't ford that stream when it's only 8 feet wide and 4 inches deep 🤷

ponyparty

Visit site
Lovely update ycbm! How good that his feet are turning out to be so strong 😅

I’m making baby steps progress with my girl, in comparison 😂 I’m getting her out in-hand hacking as much as possible. Today we went on a new route, on which she braved going under a railway bridge (complete with trains passing above her!), temporary traffic lights and roadworks, crossing a bridge over a fast flowing river, and all the way up and back down a stony, hilly bridleway. She was absolutely awesome. Couple of little baby spooks but I’d expect any horse to be a bit unnerved by what we saw today 😂 feeling very proud of her.

And, as soon as I put her rope halter on today, she went and stood by the gate to go out..! Feel like she’s actually quite enjoying it now she’s getting used to it.

Pic of the good girl, marching back down the bridleway…
IMG_7827.jpeg
Getting a saddle at the end of the month so I’m looking forward to seeing what she’s like under saddle again for the first time since trying her!

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Lovely update ycbm! How good that his feet are turning out to be so strong 😅

I’m making baby steps progress with my girl, in comparison 😂 I’m getting her out in-hand hacking as much as possible. Today we went on a new route, on which she braved going under a railway bridge (complete with trains passing above her!), temporary traffic lights and roadworks, crossing a bridge over a fast flowing river, and all the way up and back down a stony, hilly bridleway. She was absolutely awesome. Couple of little baby spooks but I’d expect any horse to be a bit unnerved by what we saw today 😂 feeling very proud of her.

And, as soon as I put her rope halter on today, she went and stood by the gate to go out..! Feel like she’s actually quite enjoying it now she’s getting used to it.

Pic of the good girl, marching back down the bridleway…
View attachment 125888
Getting a saddle at the end of the month so I’m looking forward to seeing what she’s like under saddle again for the first time since trying her!
Loving her ombré highlights 😍

McGrools

Visit site
Big milestone today. We've done all 5 miles of the farm ride on the sandy and sometimes stony track without boots on. He took 5 months to get there, but he was a "typical" flat footed thin soled TB, so he's done it quite quickly. I was prepared for it to take a year. I knew if I paid £240 for a new pair of boots he wouldn't need them 🤣

We're also jumping lots of new things, and I'm going to have to increase the height to give him more of a challenge. I plan now to get him jumping out of canter and doing coloured poles.

I've almost cracked the water issues and can now get him to reverse into man-made ponds. It's ridiculous, he forded a stream 40 feet wide and a foot deep when it was overflowing the farm ride on Saturday after the storm, but he refuses to step into a shallow man-made pond and won't ford that stream when it's only 8 feet wide and 4 inches deep 🤷
Well done re feet. I’ve caved and put shoes back on after 11 months. And it was actually water that was the catalyst. I xc schooled around Smallwood in the summer and the only issue that arose was the stones at the water jump, having had no issue previously, very unsure on stones still.
I then xc schooled at a venue in Ashbourne and she really did not want to do the water. Tbf a deep dingy looking water with quite a sharp slope in. I think she remembered the stones.
Anyway shoes back on. No probs with the bigger water on the somerford farm ride but very reluctant at the ford/ stream. I am assuming it is the steep slopes and the running water that worries her. I can get her in after some convincing, but she defo wants to think about it. I am reasonably hopeful that a typical water on a 90 xc won’t cause an issue with shallow entry. Xx

IrishMilo

Visit site
I'm strugging atm with a head /heart decision. This horse of mine is lovely but realistically not cut for what I want (Silver / Bronze leagues). He is more a mum wanting back in the saddle type/ low level RC horse who wants an easy life doing a few 70cm jumps now and then and exploring the countryside. He is the NICEST horse in the world, seriously perfect in every way but keeping him longterm doesn't align with my goals. Thoughts on a postcard?

ycbm

Visit site
I'm strugging atm with a head /heart decision. This horse of mine is lovely but realistically not cut for what I want (Silver / Bronze leagues). He is more a mum wanting back in the saddle type/ low level RC horse who wants an easy life doing a few 70cm jumps now and then and exploring the countryside. He is the NICEST horse in the world, seriously perfect in every way but keeping him longterm doesn't align with my goals. Thoughts on a postcard?

I understand this completely. You could be describing Charlie. If I was your age and felt like that I would certainly sell. Both you and he will be better suited with new partners

ycbm

Visit site
Well done re feet. I’ve caved and put shoes back on after 11 months. And it was actually water that was the catalyst. I xc schooled around Smallwood in the summer and the only issue that arose was the stones at the water jump, having had no issue previously, very unsure on stones still.
I then xc schooled at a venue in Ashbourne and she really did not want to do the water. Tbf a deep dingy looking water with quite a sharp slope in. I think she remembered the stones.
Anyway shoes back on. No probs with the bigger water on the somerford farm ride but very reluctant at the ford/ stream. I am assuming it is the steep slopes and the running water that worries her. I can get her in after some convincing, but she defo wants to think about it. I am reasonably hopeful that a typical water on a 90 xc won’t cause an issue with shallow entry. Xx

Charlie won't go near the bank into that stream!

Squeak

Visit site

How much have you done with him? Mine surprised me by how far he's got, with his previous owners he was their Mums happy hacker! He didn't seem much at first but he pings newcomers and hoping we may go bigger over winter. Because he's a lovely person he gives me 100% and always makes progress.

Last edited:

IrishMilo

Visit site
I understand this completely. You could be describing Charlie. If I was your age and felt like that I would certainly sell. Both you and he will be better suited with new partners
How much have you done with him? Mine surprised me by how far he's got, with his previous owners he was their Mums happy hacker! He didn't seem much at first but he pings newcomers and hoping we may go bigger over winter. Because he's a lovely person he gives me 100% and always makes progress.
Thanks @ycbm, that makes me feel better!

@Squeak With the best will in the world he wouldn't do Newcomers, the sad part is he would probably try but kill us both trying to scramble over! I truly don't think it's a time/training issue, he simply doesn't have the engine or desire for it and I can't blame him!

I have no idea what to price him at. He's as push button and safe as they come - I've had my 80 year old nan cool him off for me! but obviously no record although he's done arena hire/XC schooling etc.

ycbm

Visit site
You're young and if you're like the rest of us your gumption will drain away after the menopause. You have a fixed number of years to achieve your dreams and you know he isn't going to get you there. He, meanwhile, deserves someone who thinks he's the bee's knees not someone who knows in their heart that he's not really what they want to be riding.

Price wise would you be able/willing to send him to a good dealer to market him for you? I think an ex racer sold that way will have a premium over one from a private sale. My gut feel is ex racer, sound, calm, hack and low level compete should be at least £5k, possibly more if marketed right.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Thanks @ycbm, that makes me feel better!

@Squeak With the best will in the world he wouldn't do Newcomers, the sad part is he would probably try but kill us both trying to scramble over! I truly don't think it's a time/training issue, he simply doesn't have the engine or desire for it and I can't blame him!

I have no idea what to price him at. He's as push button and safe as they come - I've had my 80 year old nan cool him off for me! but obviously no record although he's done arena hire/XC schooling etc.

There will be people out there who he's the perfect horse for and will fuss him and take care of him and have a lovely time

It sounds like he's easy too so will suit that life.

ponyparty

Visit site
He’d be perfect for someone like me! I’m literally a mum getting back into it, wanting to bimble around the countryside and do low level RC stuff. As someone else has said, don’t underestimate how much he should be worth. He sounds like a dream!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

Are you absolutely sure he's not cut out for doing more? We spent the first couple of years with mine thinking he was no more than a BE80/90 horse, but he's ultimately gone now gone intermediate - and just needed more time to get there. His biggest positive feature is his excellent chilled temperament and ability to learn and think rather than get stressed. I think a lot of the hotter TB types seem like they've got the engine and desire to progress further, but are more frustrating to deal with because they hamper themselves with tension and then struggle to really learn.