Retraining ex-racers thread

ponyparty

Visit site
Thought I’d better sit on my horse before the saddle fitting on Tuesday, check she remembers ridden life 😂 she didn’t bat an eyelid. Roll on Tuesday! I just hope I can remember how to ride half decently. Wish I’d had some lessons in the meantime, just never got round to it 🙈 ah well, how wrong can it go..? 🙃
FullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

AandK

Visit site
Enjoying getting back into the swing of things with my guy after loosing my old boy (horse of a lifetime) back in August.. He's settled really well in his new field and no hints of the issues we had last year (KS/ulcers). Had a flat lesson on Saturday and got a bit of a soaking at one point! YM got a vid but I have no idea how to share on here. He was awesome :) happy to keep working in the pouring rain!

humblepie

Visit site
Enjoying getting back into the swing of things with my guy after loosing my old boy (horse of a lifetime) back in August.. He's settled really well in his new field and no hints of the issues we had last year (KS/ulcers). Had a flat lesson on Saturday and got a bit of a soaking at one point! YM got a vid but I have no idea how to share on here. He was awesome :) happy to keep working in the pouring rain!

I was having a conversation with a friend who works in racing a few years back having ridden my horse in the pouring rain and saying well he’s a racehorse he’s used to all weathers and she smiled saying they worked theirs indoors that day because of the weather 😀. At least no flies in the rain. Look forward to more updates.

AandK

Visit site
I was having a conversation with a friend who works in racing a few years back having ridden my horse in the pouring rain and saying well he’s a racehorse he’s used to all weathers and she smiled saying they worked theirs indoors that day because of the weather 😀. At least no flies in the rain. Look forward to more updates.
Yes, he is happy to work in all weathers, wind is no issue either! Very lucky in that respect, as well as being 100% with all types of traffic, he definitely had a good solid upbringing!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Unbelievably proud of Nova after our hack on Friday. We’ve not done a great deal of solo hacking due to my own anxiety but we went out on our own and she was so good as soon as I got on with no calling or wobbly walking on the way out. We had to do a couple of trots to get out of the way of two tractors with huge trailers that she really didn’t bat an eyelid at. My old pony would have freaked at them as they were really close once we’d found somewhere to turn in.

She really is turning into something special and I’m so glad I put the time and effort into investigating what was wrong with her.

McGrools

Visit site
I’m having trouble with mounting atm. Owned for 18 months. Always been spicy. But getting worse.
Chestnut mare. 10 year old.
Hot. I bought her knowing she was a pain to get on and I have dealt with it well till now.
Great to ride and the mounting issue has always been totally surmountable and not really registered as a problem until now. I’m no wuss. I work in racing.

I have a lightweight mounting block at home, I patiently move it with her until she concedes to stand still for maybe 5 seconds and then I can swing on and go.
But just now she is dancing in every direction imaginable, she spins, runs backwards, forwards, sidewards. She got her knickers in such a twist today she reared and fell over backwards. I wasn’t on her
If someone offers to hold her theres a good chance they will get wiped out as she wants to go asap.
Even if I have her backed into a corner she can wriggle her way out of it before I have got my foot in the stirrup.
I don’t have help on the ground and have always been very self sufficient.
I manage at home cos she thinks she’s tied up outside the stable and stands to let me hop on quietly.
But I had to get off her today when out and about and ended up leading her home cos there was not a chance in hell I could get back on from the ground. (And I am supple enough to mount from the ground)
I’m not ambi dexterous enough to get on a moving target from the right side. Which would be worth a try I’m sure.
She isn’t all that food oriented for treats for it to distract her long enough.
Maybe she is telling me something hurts and she doesn’t want to be ridden? But she is very good and up for it under saddle. Forward and a joy to ride. I am pretty experienced with feel and I don’t have any lameness concerns.
I go many places solo without a concern about mounting once I’m there. It’s a palava but I’ve never been defeated. However after todays performance I’m more concerned.
Any thoughts. Tips?
Ideally I’d get a behaviourist on board. But funds won’t allow just now.

Attachments

• 3917F57A-390B-4D54-B80D-587635345D6A.jpeg
    3917F57A-390B-4D54-B80D-587635345D6A.jpeg
    258.4 KB · Views: 73

Barton Bounty

Just simply loving life with Orbi 🥰
Visit site
I’m having trouble with mounting atm. Owned for 18 months. Always been spicy. But getting worse.
Chestnut mare. 10 year old.
Hot. I bought her knowing she was a pain to get on and I have dealt with it well till now.
Great to ride and the mounting issue has always been totally surmountable and not really registered as a problem until now. I’m no wuss. I work in racing.

I have a lightweight mounting block at home, I patiently move it with her until she concedes to stand still for maybe 5 seconds and then I can swing on and go.
But just now she is dancing in every direction imaginable, she spins, runs backwards, forwards, sidewards. She got her knickers in such a twist today she reared and fell over backwards. I wasn’t on her
If someone offers to hold her theres a good chance they will get wiped out as she wants to go asap.
Even if I have her backed into a corner she can wriggle her way out of it before I have got my foot in the stirrup.
I don’t have help on the ground and have always been very self sufficient.
I manage at home cos she thinks she’s tied up outside the stable and stands to let me hop on quietly.
But I had to get off her today when out and about and ended up leading her home cos there was not a chance in hell I could get back on from the ground. (And I am supple enough to mount from the ground)
I’m not ambi dexterous enough to get on a moving target from the right side. Which would be worth a try I’m sure.
She isn’t all that food oriented for treats for it to distract her long enough.
Maybe she is telling me something hurts and she doesn’t want to be ridden? But she is very good and up for it under saddle. Forward and a joy to ride. I am pretty experienced with feel and I don’t have any lameness concerns.
I go many places solo without a concern about mounting once I’m there. It’s a palava but I’ve never been defeated. However after todays performance I’m more concerned.
Any thoughts. Tips?
Ideally I’d get a behaviourist on board. But funds won’t allow just now.
This is how BB behaved when I initially got him as he was used to just getting someone punted up and away. I just had to take him and the mounting block with no distractions and practice. The slightest noise and he was away like a live wire. Off and on every day for a week or so till he realised what I expected. I did use a bucket the first twice to make him stand still and the next times it was just a treat. It is exasperating and disheartening but you will get there yourself I think.

McGrools

Visit site
I find it is better not to move the block, they have to learn to stand still.
I would set aside a couple of hours, not to ride but to begin a process of mounting a stationary horse.
I agree. I also need a bigger block one that I can’t move and Is taller. The one I have still needs a bit of a reach up.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
She takes the treat then still spins as soon as I get to the stirrup
He doesn't get the treat until I'm settled with both feet in the stirrup and he was standing still. A lot of time spent patiently repositioning him if he started to move before I mounted and sometimes help on the ground. Once on if I leant down with a treat, he can't reach it without turning his head so has to stand still.

However he's a very food oriented horse and it's always his favourite treat so high value.

And he does walk off as soon as I lift my leg to do the girth though as he knows there are no more treats.

McGrools

Visit site
He doesn't get the treat until I'm settled with both feet in the stirrup and he was standing still. A lot of time spent patiently repositioning him if he started to move before I mounted and sometimes help on the ground. Once on if I leant down with a treat, he can't reach it without turning his head so has to stand still.

However he's a very food oriented horse and it's always his favourite treat so high value.

And he does walk off as soon as I lift my leg to do the girth though as he knows there are no more treats.
Thankyou. I will try that 😊

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I would set aside a couple of hours, not to ride but to begin a process of mounting a stationary horse
I would spend time mounting, ride for s few minutes then come back to the mounting block and get off and back on. Or ride from the block in the school to the one on the yard. Letting him stretch his legs between tries stopped him getting frustrated with too much standing still.

McGrools

Visit site
I would spend time mounting, ride for s few minutes then come back to the mounting block and get off and back on. Or ride from the block in the school to the one on the yard. Letting him stretch his legs between tries stopped him getting frustrated with too much standing still.
Yes this is something I haven’t tried. Generally it’s just the initial mount that’s the problem, if she has been worked for a bit, she is better to get on second time but I have never just dedicated time to an on/off session

AandK

Visit site
Mine was a mounting block fidget when I first got him. I just spent time doing it in stages, did not move to the next stage until he was still, and if he moved, back to the start. (stages were: stand at block, hands on reins, foot in stirrup, mount) It took a week or two, and he has been perfect since. A bit more fidgety if out and about, but as we have been out a grand total of twice this year (same last year!), I have not had much chance to work on that!

J_sarahd

Visit site
I feel very deflated today. Nova has been going so well, and she was amazing yesterday, but today was awful.

Nova was fine to tack up, perfect to get on, felt nice for the first half of the school in walk. There’s a field at the top of the school with a little section a in and he was going crazy in his field - galloping, broncing, snorting, which made Nova spin and bronc when we got up there. So I called for someone to bring him in and I tried to stay out of his way as he has to come through the school. Then Nova just stood and reared, reared, reared. So I got off as soon as I could and lunged. After a crazy 5 minutes, she settled nicely and I got back on but she still felt crabby/nappy. Eventually we did some nice work in trot, which I’m grateful for but all I can think of is ulcers!! As the crabby/nappy thing is what she did when she had ulcers/when she was in pain with her seasons.

Obviously it’s just a one time occurrence (at the moment) and it’s most likely just the little pony set her off. But my brain is such an overthinker!!

McGrools

Visit site
I feel very deflated today. Nova has been going so well, and she was amazing yesterday, but today was awful.

Nova was fine to tack up, perfect to get on, felt nice for the first half of the school in walk. There’s a field at the top of the school with a little section a in and he was going crazy in his field - galloping, broncing, snorting, which made Nova spin and bronc when we got up there. So I called for someone to bring him in and I tried to stay out of his way as he has to come through the school. Then Nova just stood and reared, reared, reared. So I got off as soon as I could and lunged. After a crazy 5 minutes, she settled nicely and I got back on but she still felt crabby/nappy. Eventually we did some nice work in trot, which I’m grateful for but all I can think of is ulcers!! As the crabby/nappy thing is what she did when she had ulcers/when she was in pain with her seasons.

Obviously it’s just a one time occurrence (at the moment) and it’s most likely just the little pony set her off. But my brain is such an overthinker!!
I think they just lose their tiny minds once in a while and it takes a while to get back in the room.
I would just keep going forward in these situations, try to diffuse and carry on and don’t overthink.
Yours had a reason to boil over so it’s not like there was no trigger.
Mine lost her brain when we hacked past a kids football match and the crowd obviously brought up racing memories and she turned into a hot mess. But I cajoled to get through and carried on and thought nothing more of it, ( just to avoid that route on weekends) lol.
Really try not to overthink is my advice.
I think it’s just an extracted trait that rears it’s head once in a while, but not at all insurmountable xx

J_sarahd

Visit site
I think they just lose their tiny minds once in a while and it takes a while to get back in the room.
I would just keep going forward in these situations, try to diffuse and carry on and don’t overthink.
Yours had a reason to boil over so it’s not like there was no trigger.
Mine lost her brain when we hacked past a kids football match and the crowd obviously brought up racing memories and she turned into a hot mess. But I cajoled to get through and carried on and thought nothing more of it, ( just to avoid that route on weekends) lol.
Really try not to overthink is my advice.
I think it’s just an extracted trait that rears it’s head once in a while, but not at all insurmountable xx

Thank you, this is exactly why I posted my little brain dump. I needed the outsiders view of basically stop overthinking. The logical side of my brain knows that there was a very obvious reason she was “naughty” (hate using that word!) but I just always worry that she’s in pain whenever she does anything “naughty”! I guess that’s not a bad thing as some people never even think of pain but it is exhausting hah!!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
he was going crazy in his field

This is one of the biggest triggers there is. Non racers will often have an issue with this. Charlie is a quiet as they come and that would make me wary that even he could kick off..

The fact that you got her brain back in her head at all after that is a credit to you both.

It's of no significance at all unless she triggers at other things on a much more frequent basis.

scats

Visit site

I think in these sorts of cases, and with hot horses like this, you have to re think your goals when something like this happens. So if an outside factor causes an issue and your horse reacts, then you change your goal for that session to something like “I’m going to calmly deal with her explosive reaction and then aim for 5 minutes calm work, even if that’s 5 minutes walking around, or trotting a 20m circle on each rein once without any stuffiness or explosions”
Then you work towards that and then you have achieved a positive, rather than comparing it to whatever goal you had when you first went in to the school.

J_sarahd

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’m feeling much better about it now than I did. Something to push to the back of my mind for now and put it down to mental overload. I am proud of myself for getting back on after lunging and getting a few circles of a relaxed trot, even if it wasn’t the best in terms of correct bend etc.

BACR

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I’m feeling much better about it now than I did. Something to push to the back of my mind for now and put it down to mental overload. I am proud of myself for getting back on after lunging and getting a few circles of a relaxed trot, even if it wasn’t the best in terms of correct bend etc.
I think you did a good job @J_sarahd. If I remember correctly your mare is young? If so you've got young and hot to take into account and sometimes they just boil over. Take things day by day and try not to put too much pressure on yourself. I know it's hard but we all have off days, horse and human, remember to be kind to yourself as well as your horse :).

BACR

Visit site
We have had an exciting week at Secrets HQ, I bought him a chariot of his very own! I've been borrowing transport all summer so it's great to have our own, all ready for winter training. Cursory picture of the big lad, clipped 4 weeks ago and already almost grown back! He's like a bog pony tb, such a thick coat and he's a hot bod so have to keep on top of it otherwise he overheats. Anybody else got one that runs really hot, he rarely wears more than 100g even when fully clipped.

Attachments

• 396513114_10163765998584408_8731257482515859033_n.jpg
    396513114_10163765998584408_8731257482515859033_n.jpg
    546 KB · Views: 34
  • 396708983_10163765998569408_2553962726517737674_n.jpg
    396708983_10163765998569408_2553962726517737674_n.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 35

IrishMilo

Visit site
We have had an exciting week at Secrets HQ, I bought him a chariot of his very own! I've been borrowing transport all summer so it's great to have our own, all ready for winter training. Cursory picture of the big lad, clipped 4 weeks ago and already almost grown back! He's like a bog pony tb, such a thick coat and he's a hot bod so have to keep on top of it otherwise he overheats. Anybody else got one that runs really hot, he rarely wears more than 100g even when fully clipped.

He's gorgeous, and very similar build to my lad who also runs hot. He is currently fully clipped and still out in just a no fill. That being said I am very much a 'Rather under rug than over rug' type.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Bit of a Koby dump. We moved yards a month ago back to a place I was at previously for years and it was the best decision ever, it's really helped me to enjoy him more as we're able to ride with others, have loads more hacking etc. I took him to do a bit of jumping at a local venue the other week and he was fab, literally didn't put a hoof wrong. He's never seen fillers before but went straight over. I have to really catch myself to be patient and not expect too much of him. I forget a lot that he's only 5 and actually much further along than a lot of horses much older!

e7auQyL.jpg

bsTVl8e.jpg

ponyparty

Visit site
Well, I finally got my saddle on Sunday. Absolutely thrilled to be on board. I’m taking it super slow, just doing 10 mins every other day (!) as I’m not riding fit and neither is my mare 😂 we have had issues with planting/napping, even in hand, and she was a little nappy on Wednesday when I rode. This morning, I rode again and really focused on keeping her moving even side to side, turning her head if she planted and generally making life a bit uncomfortable for her until she went in the direction I was asking for - with great results! She suddenly seemed to click that she was in work mode and started feeling really (nicely) forward. We’re just riding in the summer field at the moment as it’s enclosed while we get to know each other and not too boggy. Will probably try a hack this weekend, with amounted company (if I can get someone to watch my son for an hour or so). Again, will just do 10-15 mins in the saddle and then hop off and walk the rest as I really want to build her (and myself) up gradually.

She is SO responsive (when you get past the napping), off the leg, responds to weight aids and voice. I have only ridden her bitted once and she’s now in her Micklem on the side-pull setting, so far so good, I still have perfectly good brakes and steering 😂 will just see how we go, if I do go back to bitted I may have to get a bit fitter out as she doesn’t seem 100% comfortable in her current bit. Can play around with the Micklem settings though, too, give her a bit more stability in the mouth and see if she prefers that.

There are lots of highs and lows in owning horses, and I’m sure there will be frustrations along our journey, but today I am most definitely on a high! 😁

Between the ears pic from this morning, and one from the other day when I was trying to get a nice photo of her tacked up but she was more interested in mugging me for treats 😆
IMG_7965-compressed.jpeg

IMG_7949-compressed.jpeg

Pinkvboots

Visit site
This is one of the biggest triggers there is. Non racers will often have an issue with this. Charlie is a quiet as they come and that would make me wary that even he could kick off..

The fact that you got her brain back in her head at all after that is a credit to you both.

It's of no significance at all unless she triggers at other things on a much more frequent basis.
My Arab's loose it if nearby horses are charging about wherever I am and even if they just hear the horses rather than seeing them is just as bad.