Retraining ex-racers thread

ponyparty

Visit site
Yes, horses d*cking about or even just running around is a massive trigger for most horses! I'm grateful I don't have mine on livery where I used to be - one of our frequent hacking routes to get to bridleways there was past the gallops of a racing yard. Several times, as riding past on my old horse, a string of racers would come thundering along just on the other side of the hedge... always made life "interesting" (and he wasn't an ex racer!).

BACR

Visit site
He's gorgeous, and very similar build to my lad who also runs hot. He is currently fully clipped and still out in just a no fill. That being said I am very much a 'Rather under rug than over rug' type.
Thank you IrishMilo, my friend calls him sexy Secrets 😂. They are vey similar types aren't they, lovely long legs that make a 90 cm fence look very much achievable! What a good boy he in your jumping video, he looks super.

I'm having to adjust to being an under rugger than an over rugger. My old mare was a freezer and I would pile the rugs on her, she loved being toasty. If I get it slightly wrong with him he's trying to rip the rug off. Before I lost her and had the two of them over the depts of winter one year she would be in 400g full neck while he was in 100g no neck, both felt comfortable underneath.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Yes, horses d*cking about or even just running around is a massive trigger for most horses! I'm grateful I don't have mine on livery where I used to be - one of our frequent hacking routes to get to bridleways there was past the gallops of a racing yard. Several times, as riding past on my old horse, a string of racers would come thundering along just on the other side of the hedge... always made life "interesting" (and he wasn't an ex racer!).
I hack near a racing yard and they gallop around alot of the crop fields, if my horses spot them in the distance I'm in trouble 😂

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I'm lucky in that current horse ( and previous one) are supremely unbothered by horses charging about. They were terrible racehorses so lacked the gallop gene from the start. Just as well as turnout fields back into school and I often ride at bring in time when horses are restless.

However we still can't cope if someone puts the poles that live next to the school in the wrong configuration.

Last edited:

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

That's the only thing that bothers Charlie, people galloping and jumping on the other side of the trees, or the path he's on coming out of the trees and joining the side of the cross country just when somebody comes cantering past.

Horses can kick off in the paddocks as we pass, come past him, be passed by him, be really on their toes in his sight, nap and spin for home into his path, and he doesn't care. It's odd because he doesn't want to race the ones that are behind the trees or coming out of the trees, it just upsets him and he starts dancing around.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
That's the only thing that bothers Charlie, people galloping and jumping on the other side of the trees, or the path he's on coming out of the trees and joining the side of the cross country just when somebody comes cantering past.

Horses can kick off in the paddocks as we pass, come past him, be passed by him, be really on their toes in his sight, nap and spin for home into his path, and he doesn't care. It's odd because he doesn't want to race the ones that are behind the trees or coming out of the trees, it just upsets him and he starts dancing around.
Could this be part of the rule that says things in the distance are more dangerous that those close up.

My livery yard is also a farm and agricultural supply business. We spend a lot of time dodging tractors, trailers, forklifts and delivery vehicles of all sizes. These are all our friends. However if out hacking we see a tractor 2 fields away, this is an item of concern and we go on full alert.

ycbm

Visit site
Could this be part of the rule that says things in the distance are more dangerous that those close up.

My livery yard is also a farm and agricultural supply business. We spend a lot of time dodging tractors, trailers, forklifts and delivery vehicles of all sizes. These are all our friends. However if out hacking we see a tractor 2 fields away, this is an item of concern and we go on full alert.

Yes, we know that rule too 😁

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
In the absence of a weekend thread; the big ginger TB is back at the jumping after his silly field leg wound, and subsequent general end-of-season jumping break - felt good to be getting in the air again, albeit feeling very rusty having not jumped a 'decent' fence since the start of September! Looking forwards to a few more weeks of training pre-Christmas, and then an indoor BS campaign Jan/Feb/Mar ready to go eventing again when things get back started. FIngers crossed!

ponyparty

Visit site
Did a little mini hack today. Had OH, dog and child in tow on foot so didn’t go too far.
We got a certain distance no problem and then she went a bit nappy so I hopped off and led her for a bit and then hopped back on when facing towards home. She was pretty good all things considered though, she’s a million times braver than my old boy 😂 IMG_8006-compressed.jpegFullSizeRender-compressed.jpeg

McGrools

Visit site
Hi guys, has any one got any thoughts on an ex racer getting hotter over time rather than calming down?
My mare has been out of racing 2 years now, I’ve had her 18 months. First year she was a dream, straightforward, bold as brass, easy to retrain, point and shoot.
Last couple of months, she just is hotter. Struggling to keep a rhythm round a course of fences, she can go sideways at the drop of a hat and get her knickers in a twist.
I always assumed they would calm down when out of racing as the vast quantities of hard feed dropped and they had much more turnout. But now I am thinking maybe they start to feel really well as they put weight on and deal with less hard training.
After a disaster sj training outing where we were launching all over the place, twisting in the air, diving out left I’m just going back to trotting over small jumps to try to take the excitement out and keep the straightness.
It’s just a curve ball I wasn’t expecting at this point
Turn out 24/7 access to stable with haynet, small feed of fibre nuggets at bring in time.
She is looking and feeling super well and I love hot horses but just looking for more consistency now xx

McGrools

Visit site
I'm afraid I'd be very suspicious after 2 years that she's brewing a physical issue.
Yes I have that at the forefront of my mind. I suspect she is a bit npa on her right hind but is totally sound. Just not totally consistent with her right lead canter strike off every time. She has had a good 11 month spell barefoot to improve hoof quality, now back in shoes. Next call X-rays of hinds I expect.
Feels great to hack. And I do plenty.

ycbm

Visit site
I suspect she is a bit npa on her right hind but is totally sound. Just not totally consistent with her right lead canter strike off every time.

I've always been told that the canter strike originates on the outside hind leg. A reluctance to use the right hind to strike off would result in right lead canter. So would a lot of other things, but it may be significant.

Sorry you're struggling with this.

McGrools

Visit site
I've always been told that the canter strike originates on the outside hind leg. A reluctance to use the right hind to strike off would result in right lead canter. So would a lot of other things, but it may be significant.

Sorry you're struggling with this.
Thanks, I am wondering if she has been quiet during the barefoot period as she has been delicate on her feet (and they are very delicate feet) and now shod feeling a a bit too Yahoo!. I have been watching how the cowboys teach lead changes which has given me a lightbulb moment with the right canter and we have had no lead errors today. She is just super hot. Chestnut mare, I shouldn’t be surprised 😆

IrishMilo

Visit site
How's everyone's training going? I've slightly lost the motivation to ride at the mo so I'm doing loads of ground work, raised roles, proprioception exercise etc. as he really is a massive clumsy doughnut. I've also learned that he really needs a few days of rest every week or he does come out tired.

We boxed to a not-so-local (hour and a half) venue at the weekend, my aim was to take him into the arena and fire him round a string of fences without letting him look at anything first. Did a quick warm up then got going and he was brilliant. No spook at any of the fillers and felt very pingy. I take back what I said about his lack of ability, I think there might be something there after all! It's funny, a month ago I was writing up an ad and now I couldn't imagine being without him.

GOj6WjU.png

AandK

Visit site
What a sweetheart! He has a lovely little pop, definitely a lot more in there to find I think. He is a keeper for sure!

My guy is doing really well, schooling coming along nicely and canter feeling great! Going to start adding poles now and hoping to add in some jumping in the new year. He is green as grass jumping wise, but a quick learner. I hope we can keep going long enough to get out and about to have some fun in the Spring! Would love to get him to a XC course for a play...

McGrools

Visit site
He looks very ‘well’ for an exracer and what a lovely canter rhythm he has there. 😊
It’s the even canter I struggle with mine. She gets all hot and messy. I struggle to not see the hurdle stride and just wait patiently. Both of us are impatient 😆
Her dressage is coming on. We got a 67 in a prelim on Sunday I just need her more in the hand cos she is too light in the contact still and over reactive. I have got her in the softest bit I can find. Need to get some good dressage training under our belt now and then hopefully the jumping will improve come spring. Just had a fab schooling session today where she was very round and bendy and relaxed. Got another prelim to have a go at on Friday.

Attachments

• BCF806C8-B818-4A6E-8AF7-356287BF4EA6.jpeg
    BCF806C8-B818-4A6E-8AF7-356287BF4EA6.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 25

IrishMilo

Visit site
He looks very ‘well’ for an exracer and what a lovely canter rhythm he has there. 😊
It’s the even canter I struggle with mine. She gets all hot and messy. I struggle to not see the hurdle stride and just wait patiently. Both of us are impatient 😆
Her dressage is coming on. We got a 67 in a prelim on Sunday I just need her more in the hand cos she is too light in the contact still and over reactive. I have got her in the softest bit I can find. Need to get some good dressage training under our belt now and then hopefully the jumping will improve come spring. Just had a fab schooling session today where she was very round and bendy and relaxed. Got another prelim to have a go at on Friday.

Ahh, thank you. He has definitely dropped some condition over this last week, I think that photo is quite flattering! I've just bought linseed instead of more oats, and adding in a few cups of veg oil now too. I know exactly what you mean with the hurdle stride, I have some god awful videos of us jumping in the beginning! Either I would go for a long one and he would chip in or I would sit and wait and he would take off a mile out. I was saying to a friend the other day it's actually really nice to look at the videos of then vs. now, as I often forget how much he's improved.

Your girl looks great, we really struggle with round and bendy so hats off to you!

ponyparty

Visit site
Loving these updates, your horses look amazing. Mine looks like a hairy bog pony 😂

I'm struggling a bit though, I have to admit. I have nobody to ride with at current yard (I'm the only livery and YM isn't around much) and the napping is next level! I have to keep reminding myself how much she's improved from when I got her, to now, and how much she will continue to improve over the next few months.

When I got her, she napped to leave the field, go back in the field, in or out of her stable, over rubber mats, basically anywhere she was a bit unsure about. In-hand hacks were also very sticky - and still can be! With this in mind, once I got my saddle, I was perhaps a bit too keen to start riding out. We weren't doing too badly, and have always had OH as a foot soldier with me just in case. But the other Sunday, she said "nope" and it escalated to rearing (a very careful and controlled rear which she backed onto grass for - she's not daft, nor nasty). Got off and led her in the direction I wanted to go but even then she was nappy and sticky, planting every few strides. Eventually I turned her in a gateway (REALLY didn't have it in me to do the full circular route, I wasn't in the right frame of mind, could feel myself getting frustrated with her) and got back on facing towards home and she was fine. But I decided then that we're clearly not ready for riding out yet, so we'll stick to working in the summer field for now. I need to be more consistent and really get the basics down with the groundwork there first. Once I'm happy with this, we'll progress to in-hand hacks, then in-hand hacks tacked up, then hopping on when we're back close to home, and build it up from there. That was always the idea originally, but I think I just got too excited by arrival of the new saddle 😂 my own fault. She's going to take time, and patience.

I've got a trainer coming out on Saturday to help me with groundwork - he's very highly recommended, I actually had a session with him for my last horse but I felt he wanted to take things "too slow" and I had things I wanted to do with my horse that summer (which I did, and am glad I did as I would never have had chance again!). But "slow" and "back to basics" is just what this mare needs. I also have a friend boxing her horse over to ride out on Sunday, purely to test whether she's any better in company. We'll see.

Bearing in mind 3 months ago she wouldn't walk into a stable, or pick her feet up, it's not bad going really! And although my hours per day are limited, I have to remember there's no rush with her. I have no ambitions to be out competing by X date (or ever, lol) so I'm just taking the pressure off and going to enjoy the process. Despite the cold/mud/winter/constant rushing around, I am just loving being back in horses, and all the highs and lows and challenges that can bring with it.

McGrools

Visit site
Ahh, thank you. He has definitely dropped some condition over this last week, I think that photo is quite flattering! I've just bought linseed instead of more oats, and adding in a few cups of veg oil now too. I know exactly what you mean with the hurdle stride, I have some god awful videos of us jumping in the beginning! Either I would go for a long one and he would chip in or I would sit and wait and he would take off a mile out. I was saying to a friend the other day it's actually really nice to look at the videos of then vs. now, as I often forget how much he's improved.

Your girl looks great, we really struggle with round and bendy so hats off to you!
Ahh Thankyou you have given me hope that jumping canter rhythm may be achievable one day. It is pretty good dressage wise but she just gets wound up when jumping. How long has it taken you to get to that gorgeous canter?

McGrools

Visit site
Loving these updates, your horses look amazing. Mine looks like a hairy bog pony 😂

I'm struggling a bit though, I have to admit. I have nobody to ride with at current yard (I'm the only livery and YM isn't around much) and the napping is next level! I have to keep reminding myself how much she's improved from when I got her, to now, and how much she will continue to improve over the next few months.

When I got her, she napped to leave the field, go back in the field, in or out of her stable, over rubber mats, basically anywhere she was a bit unsure about. In-hand hacks were also very sticky - and still can be! With this in mind, once I got my saddle, I was perhaps a bit too keen to start riding out. We weren't doing too badly, and have always had OH as a foot soldier with me just in case. But the other Sunday, she said "nope" and it escalated to rearing (a very careful and controlled rear which she backed onto grass for - she's not daft, nor nasty). Got off and led her in the direction I wanted to go but even then she was nappy and sticky, planting every few strides. Eventually I turned her in a gateway (REALLY didn't have it in me to do the full circular route, I wasn't in the right frame of mind, could feel myself getting frustrated with her) and got back on facing towards home and she was fine. But I decided then that we're clearly not ready for riding out yet, so we'll stick to working in the summer field for now. I need to be more consistent and really get the basics down with the groundwork there first. Once I'm happy with this, we'll progress to in-hand hacks, then in-hand hacks tacked up, then hopping on when we're back close to home, and build it up from there. That was always the idea originally, but I think I just got too excited by arrival of the new saddle 😂 my own fault. She's going to take time, and patience.

I've got a trainer coming out on Saturday to help me with groundwork - he's very highly recommended, I actually had a session with him for my last horse but I felt he wanted to take things "too slow" and I had things I wanted to do with my horse that summer (which I did, and am glad I did as I would never have had chance again!). But "slow" and "back to basics" is just what this mare needs. I also have a friend boxing her horse over to ride out on Sunday, purely to test whether she's any better in company. We'll see.

Bearing in mind 3 months ago she wouldn't walk into a stable, or pick her feet up, it's not bad going really! And although my hours per day are limited, I have to remember there's no rush with her. I have no ambitions to be out competing by X date (or ever, lol) so I'm just taking the pressure off and going to enjoy the process. Despite the cold/mud/winter/constant rushing around, I am just loving being back in horses, and all the highs and lows and challenges that can bring with it.
How old is your mare pony party?
Enjoying the journey is what it is all about. If you can be positive at this time of year after all the rain we have had you are doing great!!

spacefaer

Visit site
An update on my guys ss I haven't really posted since I got them

Little Flemensfirth chestnut- I've sold to a very good friend of mine who has had the worst of luck with her horses the whole time I've known her. She put her home bred down this summer and was very miserable so he's gone to her as realistically she'll do more with him than I will. She wants to event, he would evenr brilliantly and I don't have the time or desire at the moment

Bay Geordieland gelding I sold to a lovely lady who does hirelings. He's absolutely fallen on his feet and is going very well. I have pics but they're not mine to post!

French horse is turning out to be a bit smart and is with a local 5* event rider . We'll see how good he wants to be and will make a plan soon. I suspect he'll be sold as my OH has no interest in funding an eventer 😭🙈

Screenshot_20231008_152712_Video Player.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231008_152542_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20231008_152542_Video Player.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 18

ponyparty

Visit site
How old is your mare pony party?
Enjoying the journey is what it is all about. If you can be positive at this time of year after all the rain we have had you are doing great!!
She’s 5. Raced as a 3yo and I suspect hasn’t done anything (or even been touched, hence being so feral about her feet when I first got her!) since then. She’s a fast learner, but likes to do things on her terms 😂 and lacks confidence away from her fieldmates. She’s a sweetie though, nothing nasty about her at all.

McGrools

Visit site
She’s 5. Raced as a 3yo and I suspect hasn’t done anything (or even been touched, hence being so feral about her feet when I first got her!) since then. She’s a fast learner, but likes to do things on her terms 😂 and lacks confidence away from her fieldmates. She’s a sweetie though, nothing nasty about her at all.
I’d be long reining her everywhere getting her more independent if she was mine. The babies being broken at work are being long reined over to the gallops and back which is a fair old distance, they seem to be coming on well. I wonder if most racers are broken in on long reins? My mare can nap and run backwards in hand but as soon as I put an extra lunge line on she matches forward.
Your groundwork trainer guy should be good. Let us know how you get on. Xx

IrishMilo

Visit site
Ahh Thankyou you have given me hope that jumping canter rhythm may be achievable one day. It is pretty good dressage wise but she just gets wound up when jumping. How long has it taken you to get to that gorgeous canter?

He's got a naturally rhythmical canter but it's taken ages to have any sort of bend in his neck and around my leg. 6 months ago he would barely move forwards on the left rein - in fact, he would barely move in the arena at all 😆 I do most of my canter transitions from walk as well, again took a while for him to not run across half the school first but it really helped build his strength behind!

McGrools

Visit site
He's got a naturally rhythmical canter but it's taken ages to have any sort of bend in his neck and around my leg. 6 months ago he would barely move forwards on the left rein - in fact, he would barely move in the arena at all 😆 I do most of my canter transitions from walk as well, again took a while for him to not run across half the school first but it really helped build his strength behind!
Well done, it is so satisfying to see real progress.

Mine has just been for a dental and they were desperately sharp, she was done a year ago but she must be the kind that needs more regular rasping. So I’m hopeful that some of her wilder behaviour can be explained by that. Looking forward to testing that theory if we don’t all get too frozen in over the next few days xx