Retraining ex-racers thread

IrishMilo

Visit site
Put the price up, sounds like you've got it too low.
I'm not sure I'd be parting with him... 🤷‍♀️

He's already sold (pending vetting) to the first viewers. I had him at mid-high 4s which I though is a fair price based on his flat work / other TB prices. It was never about the money, I just really want him to go on and be someone's big pet pootling round the lanes which is what he loves - and exactly what he'll be doing. Head knows it's right, but I did ugly cry when I got home!

Jessinaround

New User
Visit site
It's not looking good for Charlie. Now noticeably lame on an arthritic fetlock only 5 weeks after steroids were put in. Arthritis, probably caused by a fractured sesamoid bone from a long time ago, probably at 2 or 3. He's only ever been in light work and only intended for light work, but he just isn't up to it.

No suggestions for how to keep him going please, I'm only writing this in the spirit of complete openness about the risks you take buying an ex racehorse that's been laid off after finishing racing "because he lost the love for it" (a common expression in racing) and nobody has bothered trying to find out why.

My advice to anyone reading this thread is if you intend buying an ex racer, then buy them straight out of training a short time after they finish their last race sound and do the layoff yourself.
So very sorry to hear about your Charlie, I had a 4yo pts for this reason. Fractured sesamoid as a 3yo, floating bone chips as a result & arthritis in the fetlock, wasn’t even field sound. It was the kindest thing I could do for him but the most soul destroying. Thinking of you.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
So very sorry to hear about your Charlie, I had a 4yo pts for this reason. Fractured sesamoid as a 3yo, floating bone chips as a result & arthritis in the fetlock, wasn’t even field sound. It was the kindest thing I could do for him but the most soul destroying. Thinking of you.

I'm sorry you went through it too.

Cates123

Visit site
I have a question about how to practically work through excitement when other horses are in front on a hack. I took my 4 yr old to a very busy local farm ride this weekend for the first time alongside a good, steady companion and he behaved pretty well (whilst always on his toes) other than for two moments - one when there were two horses ahead and he just couldn't contain himself. He's never strong but he became an 'unexploded bomb' and rabbit hopped / started doing small flying bucks. I had to call out to ask if I could come past at a ridiculous sideways, snorting trot whilst my friend followed behind, also apologising. Luckily the other horses were fine and mine mostly settled once past - he can be good at calming himself after loosing his mind, which I guess is a blessing. The next moment was, I think, just young horse excitement when he decided quiet hacking on what he knew to be a canter surface was too boring and he just needed a release. We had a trot and canter down the stretch, all very much in control, but it was a necessary decision as staying in walk was becoming impossible. The paces were also very excitable....but I never felt that he would take off. We had a horse pass us earlier at a walk and then disappear out of view and he was fine with that but the other two were in view for quite some time and I think he just boiled over.
He's usually pretty sensible, especially given his age, breed and previous career and hasn't worried about horses trotting up behind him on normal hacks, he rides quietly in a shared arena etc, so I don't have much to complain about but I'm curious about how to approach this in terms of training. He's also 17hh so when he gets like that it can feel intimidating! If the ride had been busier (which I know it can get) I think we would have had a real problem. There have been moments on our normal hacks when he's just in one of those 'high on life' moods where he becomes a coiled spring. I try to ride through, keep the rein light and the leg on, plus sit heavy in the saddle (whilst slipping a finger under the martingale strap!) but I'm wondering what exercises will help going forward. I'm planning on going to the farm ride more regularly (at quiet times) to work on this but advice would be handy as I really want to nail this. I'm hoping to take him to fun rides and out on long, remote hacks in the future so this is going to be key - I'm in no rush, would rather get it right but what do people suggest? Also, I've been recommended to take him on hound exercise. I've never done this, would it be good or would it blow his mind?

McGrools

Visit site
I have a question about how to practically work through excitement when other horses are in front on a hack. I took my 4 yr old to a very busy local farm ride this weekend for the first time alongside a good, steady companion and he behaved pretty well (whilst always on his toes) other than for two moments - one when there were two horses ahead and he just couldn't contain himself. He's never strong but he became an 'unexploded bomb' and rabbit hopped / started doing small flying bucks. I had to call out to ask if I could come past at a ridiculous sideways, snorting trot whilst my friend followed behind, also apologising. Luckily the other horses were fine and mine mostly settled once past - he can be good at calming himself after loosing his mind, which I guess is a blessing. The next moment was, I think, just young horse excitement when he decided quiet hacking on what he knew to be a canter surface was too boring and he just needed a release. We had a trot and canter down the stretch, all very much in control, but it was a necessary decision as staying in walk was becoming impossible. The paces were also very excitable....but I never felt that he would take off. We had a horse pass us earlier at a walk and then disappear out of view and he was fine with that but the other two were in view for quite some time and I think he just boiled over.
He's usually pretty sensible, especially given his age, breed and previous career and hasn't worried about horses trotting up behind him on normal hacks, he rides quietly in a shared arena etc, so I don't have much to complain about but I'm curious about how to approach this in terms of training. He's also 17hh so when he gets like that it can feel intimidating! If the ride had been busier (which I know it can get) I think we would have had a real problem. There have been moments on our normal hacks when he's just in one of those 'high on life' moods where he becomes a coiled spring. I try to ride through, keep the rein light and the leg on, plus sit heavy in the saddle (whilst slipping a finger under the martingale strap!) but I'm wondering what exercises will help going forward. I'm planning on going to the farm ride more regularly (at quiet times) to work on this but advice would be handy as I really want to nail this. I'm hoping to take him to fun rides and out on long, remote hacks in the future so this is going to be key - I'm in no rush, would rather get it right but what do people suggest? Also, I've been recommended to take him on hound exercise. I've never done this, would it be good or would it blow his mind?
I would personally just keep him moving forward at a brisk trot on an contact and let him use his energy up going forward. I’d aim to get past any other horses that are going slower and keep him working hard and concentrating on you. I would also let him have a good blast up a hill so he doesn’t feel pent up and restricted.
Put his energy to good use.
Hound exercise only really if you intend to hunt him in the future and want to introduce him to hounds and that particular job
It can be very exciting. Be prepared for a lively ride xx

Squeak

Visit site
Fun rides are a huge ask for a lot of horses. They're often misbranded as something to take a horse to for gaining experience and confidence out and about but it's actually a huge ask for horses to have a lot of other horses around out hacking, where they get passed by them, catch up with them, overtake them etc.

It actually sounds like your boy and you dealt with the situations well. Have you done much hacking and competing or going to other venues? If not I personally think that arena hires are easier for them than fun rides. If you go to the farm ride when it's quiet I reckon there's a good chance you wouldn't have a problem although I'd go somewhere else in between to give him a really quiet positive experience as there's a chance he'd turn up to the farm ride and expect it to be busy like this time.

I wouldn't be worrying that you wont be able to do long hacks because he was excited on the fun ride, they're completely different asks as usually on long rides it's only you and who ever you go with. I'd definitely avoid hound exercise.

Cates123

Visit site
Fun rides are a huge ask for a lot of horses. They're often misbranded as something to take a horse to for gaining experience and confidence out and about but it's actually a huge ask for horses to have a lot of other horses around out hacking, where they get passed by them, catch up with them, overtake them etc.

It actually sounds like your boy and you dealt with the situations well. Have you done much hacking and competing or going to other venues? If not I personally think that arena hires are easier for them than fun rides. If you go to the farm ride when it's quiet I reckon there's a good chance you wouldn't have a problem although I'd go somewhere else in between to give him a really quiet positive experience as there's a chance he'd turn up to the farm ride and expect it to be busy like this time.

I wouldn't be worrying that you wont be able to do long hacks because he was excited on the fun ride, they're completely different asks as usually on long rides it's only you and who ever you go with. I'd definitely avoid hound exercise.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. We hack a lot, mostly alone and on roads given our set up (at home with 2 little ponies) and he's pretty solid thankfully and we've also done some arena hires where he was, again, quite sensible. He was also totally calm when he got back to the car park/yard at the farm ride where there were horses/boxes everywhere as it's an extremely busy competition and training venue - he doesn't seem phased by that. I take all the replies on board and think I will just keep taking him out and mix it up - some schooling events and then the odd farm ride taken at a faster pace so he gets rid of that energy from the start! I'm not terribly worried about it as I know he's young and full of energy I just want to set him up for success and know there's a lot of experience on this forum in terms of racehorse retraining. I guess I'm also looking for reassurance that this is normal and will, hopefully, subside with age/experience.....It's uncomfortable to be that rider that's causing an issue for others so definitely don't want that to escalate!

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I actually agree with this it's a big ask to go on a fun ride I would avoid them for now and just get him hacking and I think in time he will probably get better.

One of my Arab's was similar as a young horse he would just get fixated on horses infront and literally loose the plot, so I just gave the fun rides a miss for a while and just did showing and hacking with him and he could get a bit hot on the canter round at shows but he did get better as he got older.

Then a few years on I did quite a few sponsored rides with him and he was loads better still could get joggy and hot but not completely loosing it.

BACR

Visit site
A bit late to the party @Cates123 but I had a very similar situation to you. Mine is older (9 yo at the time) but I ended up vaulting off mounted games style (he's big at 16.3 and I'm over 40 so that was an experience I don't want to repeat) because he lost his s**t on a fun ride and was fly bucking every other stride. Similar to you mine is great in clinics, arena hires, xc schooling and general hacking, but the fun ride was too much for him. I'm not bothering for a while because it's not my aim with him, just thought I'd go along with a friend and see how he was. It was the horses in the distance that did it for us, it's like he sees them as a carrot he has to catch. If I was to do one again I think I'd treat it as a work ride and get him going in trot and canter into a contact. I think for my lad it might always be a bit much, he's very clever and needs a lot to keep him thinking, I can't even do the same thing twice in a lesson because he thinks he knows what he's doing and takes over. Hopefully you'll be able to work through it but as others have said get him forwards, from my experience with tbs everything is easier if you've got them forwards and engaged.

J_sarahd

Visit site
I’m not competing (obviously!) but Pickering Grange is one of my very local venues so I might pop down for a bit of spectating

BACR

Visit site
Hope anyone attending the RoR Winter Dressage Champs is having a great time.

How are we all getting on with our exracers coming into spring, and do we have a plan for a season of competing?

We're pretty much ready to go eventing, we've trained, been out and about and he's come out so bold this year over XC fences. No more mr spider legs going everywhere!! Need to go XC a couple more times before entering an event just to make sure we can dial it down for the more technical combinations (we'll be going to Great Witchingham unaffiliated 80 but it's not a soft course). Brakes aren't an issue, he does everything in his snaffle but the jump is very extravagant and I need him to just hop over one particular fence at the top of a mound otherwise we'll be half way down the slope landing. Anyway, I've put some pictures below of our outings from the last couple of months.

Polework/jump clinic
IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG

BACR

Visit site
Also, if anyone has an Instagram they are using to document progress with your exracer I'd love to follow. I love seeing how other people are getting on with their retraining journey.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Also, if anyone has an Instagram they are using to document progress with your exracer I'd love to follow. I love seeing how other people are getting on with their retraining journey.
ELS Eventing is on YouTube/Insta/Facebook - might be of interest though technically her TB didn't race: https://news.britisheventing.com/inspiring-stories-the-1-horse-bound-for-badminton-grassroots/

This is her intro story which says a bit about his background, the early bits of work with him and his first event:

I think they got as far as Novice in his first season last year and she is currently doing a vlog series on their training for Badminton Grassroots.

BACR

Visit site
ELS Eventing is on YouTube/Insta/Facebook - might be of interest though technically her TB didn't race: https://news.britisheventing.com/inspiring-stories-the-1-horse-bound-for-badminton-grassroots/

This is her intro story which says a bit about his background, the early bits of work with him and his first event:

I think they got as far as Novice in his first season last year and she is currently doing a vlog series on their training for Badminton Grassroots.
Thanks, I've been following her for a couple of years on YouTube, and I also follow on Instagram. I'm quite the Donut fan, he's fabulous!!

IrishMilo

Visit site
My boy is coming home. I am SO happy. I was saying just yesterday how much I regret selling him and this morning I woke up to a message to say he isn't the horse for them and offered me him back. Absolutely jumped at the chance and can't wait to go and collect the big oaf who I'll never take for granted again!

1000072330.jpg

Squeak

Visit site
My boy is coming home. I am SO happy. I was saying just yesterday how much I regret selling him and this morning I woke up to a message to say he isn't the horse for them and offered me him back. Absolutely jumped at the chance and can't wait to go and collect the big oaf who I'll never take for granted again!

View attachment 138009

Sometimes things are just meant to be.

Squeak

Visit site
Hope anyone attending the RoR Winter Dressage Champs is having a great time.

How are we all getting on with our exracers coming into spring, and do we have a plan for a season of competing?

We're pretty much ready to go eventing, we've trained, been out and about and he's come out so bold this year over XC fences. No more mr spider legs going everywhere!! Need to go XC a couple more times before entering an event just to make sure we can dial it down for the more technical combinations (we'll be going to Great Witchingham unaffiliated 80 but it's not a soft course). Brakes aren't an issue, he does everything in his snaffle but the jump is very extravagant and I need him to just hop over one particular fence at the top of a mound otherwise we'll be half way down the slope landing. Anyway, I've put some pictures below of our outings from the last couple of months.

Polework/jump clinic
View attachment 137946
View attachment 137947
View attachment 137948

He's looking really smart and in fab condition.

Squeak

Visit site
Anyone else at the RoR Winter Dressage Champs his weekend?

I missed this before the weekend but I was there too. How did you get on?

Was great seeing all the RoR's, really inspiring. I had expected the standard to be high but was surprised by quite how high it was. I thought there were a lot of really stunning horses there, that had been beautifully schooled and in great condition. Tbh quite a few of them I wouldn't have picked out as TB's if I'd seen them at a BD. What did you think?

BACR

Visit site

View attachment 138009
Yeah, so glad you're getting him back, I missed your updates so looking forward to you two getting back at it!

BACR

Visit site
Entries for Hickstead RoR showing championships open today so off to enter as got his qualification late last year. Love Hickstead so pleased to have qualified.
@BACR looking really good.
Best of luck at Hickstead, I'll have to go and watch an RoR showing class. In my opinion, there is nothing more beautiful than a line up of thoroughbreds!

Thank you, I'm totally obsessed with him!! It's weird, I'm over 40 and like a little girl with her beloved pony all over again 😂.