Retraining ex-racers thread

humblepie

Visit site
@ponyparty my RoR sweated buckets on all his early journeys. Even now travels with only over reach boots and perhaps a cotton sheet of clipped in the middle of winter. Sounds a good move for you

ponyparty

Visit site
I wondered if perhaps it’s because it’s a trailer and not a lorry, as she would have been used to. It still needs a bit of work doing on it so it’s back at OH’s now but I’m going to try taking the partition out and seeing if she travels better cross tied but able to position herself how she wants. Need to sort a full length breech bar first though, and didn’t have time to do this before moving her.

Also bought a TRT Method course the other day, so going to work my way through that - including the section on loading.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Mine were in 7.3t or 3.5t but sweated up. I wondered if they used to do it in anticipation of racing and got washed off in time to dry out when they got to the racecourse. Not all of them were like it, maybe 3 out of about 10.

humblepie

Visit site
Mine were in 7.3t or 3.5t but sweated up. I wondered if they used to do it in anticipation of racing and got washed off in time to dry out when they got to the racecourse. Not all of them were like it, maybe 3 out of about 10.
Yes ours is a 7.5. We added extra fans for him. As you say I think it is the anticipation - first journey was about 10 minutes to a hired arena with my other horse. The other horse looked horrified as the white foaming sweat which had dripped to the floor he had to walk over to get out the box. He took a very long time to learn to stand on the lorry on arrival but gradually got so we could unload, walk round, re load and stand, now he stands quietly on arrival and eats hay. Did take about 5 years to get to that point.

McGrools

Visit site
we have one at the racing yard that gets himself in a real white sweat when travelling anywhere. It’s the anticipation of racing for him bless him. I’m going to try him in a titanium hood to see if he might calm down a bit. I’d imagine if and when he comes out of racing it will take him a long time not to get in a sweaty mess when travelling. X

spacefaer

Visit site
My boy went to an event on Sunday- three other horses from the yard were competing so he had friends to hang out with. This is him in the dressage warm up. He was a bit uncertain about the whole busy-ness and the tannoy but once he worked out he was meant to trot about and do some circles, he put his work head on and settled beautifully. Dead chuffed with him!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240602_181542_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20240602_181542_Video Player.jpg
    966.8 KB · Views: 74

ycbm

Visit site
My boy went to an event on Sunday- three other horses from the yard were competing so he had friends to hang out with. This is him in the dressage warm up. He was a bit uncertain about the whole busy-ness and the tannoy but once he worked out he was meant to trot about and do some circles, he put his work head on and settled beautifully. Dead chuffed with him!

I'm not surprised you're chuffed, that a major milestone, well done!

Hannahfs

Visit site
He looks lovely. Can you give a bit of background - what he did in racing, when he retired etc? You look like you're familiar with racehorses!
Sorry, totally missed this reply!!
He’s called Benny’s Oscar, raced for Skeltons mostly over hurdles (think the plan was for him to go over fences but he fell in his only start over them!) finished racing Boxing Day 2022 and been with me since May 23.
He came to me pretty skinny and sore all round so done lots of work building him back up and then getting out and about a bit.
He's a total dream but a bit of an over thinker/worrier, desperately wants to please though and I love him so much!!

Where and when is the ROR camp you’re going to?!

Gamebird

Visit site
Sorry, totally missed this reply!!
He’s called Benny’s Oscar, raced for Skeltons mostly over hurdles (think the plan was for him to go over fences but he fell in his only start over them!) finished racing Boxing Day 2022 and been with me since May 23.
He came to me pretty skinny and sore all round so done lots of work building him back up and then getting out and about a bit.
He's a total dream but a bit of an over thinker/worrier, desperately wants to please though and I love him so much!!

Where and when is the ROR camp you’re going to?!
Ah! I was thinking the name was familiar - I sort of know his former owners.

I am/was going to the Epworth camp at the start of August, but apparently they've not had much interest so they're just trying to work out if they're still running it, or maybe doing a day camp or something instead. I would have changed my booking to Somerford Camp in October, but unfortunately I'm working that weekend.

Hannahfs

Visit site

I am/was going to the Epworth camp at the start of August, but apparently they've not had much interest so they're just trying to work out if they're still running it, or maybe doing a day camp or something instead. I would have changed my booking to Somerford Camp in October, but unfortunately I'm working that weekend.
Ah racing is a small world!

Oh intersting, I wonder how many they need to run. I might contact them and see as could definitely be keen (especially if it's quieter than what they'd like 😂)

We went to a camp at Somerford in April but it was heaving and it blew his little pea brain a bit so this might be a slightly more chilled out alternative!

BACR

Visit site

This is a real shame with the camps, I went to the Blackwater (Norfolk) one last year and had a blast. I'm not a million miles away from Epwoth so may enquire about this too. Also have a friend that might be interested in bringing hers along. I could do with a camp to get us back on track, we haven't been out anywhere for ages because of a broken tow car. I wouldn't be able to commit for sure until the first week in July due to the car going in (hopefully this time it'll get sorted) but I'll message and show interest anyway.

IrishMilo

Visit site
A lovely livery took some photos this weekend. It's hard to express just how kind and genuine he is, he really is worth his weight in gold. My big goof!

448202252_1478740143034519_4556751063591826243_n.jpg

448205653_1478740123034521_2506408039056586468_n.jpg

448205500_1478740519701148_531076990634821943_n.jpg

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Hello! Joining as I bought an ex racer this week! ❤️ He’s a 6yr old, I don’t think he was fast enough so they stopped racing him…YO bought him a few months ago to be a hunt horse but I’ve managed to get her to sell him to me for hacking, light schooling and a bit of dressage possibly. Basically he’s going to be a pet now rather than a working horse 😂

Any tips?? I was going to join the ROR charity?

ycbm

Visit site
When did he last race BtC? If he's new out of training he may change quite a lot over the next few months as he develops a one on one relationship with you.

Does he have to hack alone? He may be good or you may need to teach him, it can go either way.

Any chance we can see him, we love a nice TB picture?

Bobthecob15

Visit site
When did he last race BtC? If he's new out of training he may change quite a lot over the next few months as he develops a one on one relationship with you.

Does he have to hack alone? He may be good or you may need to teach him, it can go either way.

Any chance we can see him, we love a nice TB picture?
He raced in April, he’s been at our yard since doing hacking and a bit of school/jumping. I think he has hacked alone but I’ll check myself how he is next week. He’s a very gentle soul, seems quite laid back which suits me😂

I’m struggling to reduce the size of the file! Any suggestions??

Reactions: SEL

ycbm

Visit site
He raced in April, he’s been at our yard since doing hacking and a bit of school/jumping. I think he has hacked alone but I’ll check myself how he is next week. He’s a very gentle soul, seems quite laid back which suits me😂

I’m struggling to reduce the size of the file! Any suggestions??

The editing feature on your device may let you. My Samsung tablet does. Otherwise you can possibly crop it small enough. Or pick up the URL of the photo from somewhere like Facebook and post that.

He may change a lot in the rest of this year as he comes out of his shell. He's unlikely to go wild but he could develop quite a lot more character as he realises that he's allowed to be a horse and have an opinion of his own (within boundaries!).

I love them, I hope you have lots of fun with him.

Squeak

Visit site
Hello! Joining as I bought an ex racer this week! ❤️ He’s a 6yr old, I don’t think he was fast enough so they stopped racing him…YO bought him a few months ago to be a hunt horse but I’ve managed to get her to sell him to me for hacking, light schooling and a bit of dressage possibly. Basically he’s going to be a pet now rather than a working horse 😂

Any tips?? I was going to join the ROR charity?

Congratulations on your first exracer! Agree with YCBM that we need a photo!

It's well worth joining RoR, they have a lot of training available that can be a great place to start and all the training is available with their free membership, it's only if you start competing you need to upgrade to the £15 competition membership. They have some good dressage series/ champs that you could aim for as well if you're interested in dressage.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your new boy, they're wonderful horses.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
Ugh I could do it on my Samsung but not the iPhone 🙄 I’ll edit it on my PC and post soon!

He is a bit stiff in his pelvis our instructor said today, it’s the first time she’s met him. Is that common in ex racers? I’ve got the physio out in a week in any case to see him for a check over. We also are borrowing a saddle until the fitter can come in a fortnight so probably not the best combination! We are going steady until he’s been seen x

Gamebird

Visit site
A wee update from me... I'm toddling along very happily with my chap. I think I've succeeded in making him into a horse that is fine ridden once or twice a week when I don't have much time due to work. I took him to our RC dressage the other night having ridden him ince in the previous 10 days (and learned the tests driving to the venue 🙈) and he was ridiculously laid back and foot perfect getting a joint 1st (ok, 2nd on collectives 😂) and a 3rd. We're now 2nd in our RC dressage league.

I've also done some hacking - our yard is straight onto a main road so I rarely hack as I have to box up, but I've taken him out twice now on his own. It's lovely to go out plodding with him and my dog. I've changed! This was today:

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I found a free app to resize, hopefully works! Not the best photo, he needs to put a bit of weight on, seems so skinny compared to my Welsh! I’ll get a better one today, he has a very kind face ❤️

Attachments

• IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    532.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4248.jpeg
    IMG_4248.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 34

Squeak

Visit site
I found a free app to resize, hopefully works! Not the best photo, he needs to put a bit of weight on, seems so skinny compared to my Welsh! I’ll get a better one today, he has a very kind face ❤️

He has a very kind face 😍 I love his marking too.