Richardson Rice

TommisMum

Visit site
As you may know Richardson Rice are no longer trading.
However if anyone has any questions re these trailers (parts/servicing etc) please PM me as I know 2 of their previous employees with over 40 years manufacturer experience (between them) so should be able to help with anything.

becka1975

New User
Visit site
Hi

I have a question about the metal struts on the side panels - the welds are cracked should I be worried? I took for a service and they said not to worry but it seems structural to me! They are cracked on both sides and horse has only ever travelled in one side!

Thanks

Becka

Double_choc_lab

Visit site
My Rice Richardson Supreme is bolted. Just had two new sides put on. Couldn't find any joy with Richardson people at the time and went to an independent person. Great job done but I wish you had posted a few months ago!!!!

TommisMum

Visit site
If you mean the bright silver centre cap with the Richardson Rosette these are no longer available however if you mean the grease cap with the A stamped in it we know a man who can.

hobo

Visit site
I did not know that. I am on my second Richardson first one bought in York, 2nd one in Dorset. I am sure my man in Dorset will still be able to do bits that maybe needed as he also builds lorry bodys.

Sad to know it is no longer trading though.

Beausmate

Visit site
Ooo, a grease cap for an old Rice......I could do with one of those.;):D

Hinges for the breast bars are on my list too, I've just never got around to it! Did fork out nearly £140 on hitch dampers and a gaiter though, so the other stuff was left out.

Nyland

New User
Visit site
Hi!
I'm about to emport a Rice trailer to Norway!
Love the design, I already have a '63 Pony trailer (Straight frontwall).
The "new" one is a Rice Beaufort Double, but I cant find out which year this is made.
I hva the serial stamped at the front wall A:28526.

Can anyone help me with this?
Also, does anyone have the technical data on this trailer?
Netto weight, gross weight, total weight etc etc.

Thanks!

lazybee

Visit site
Hi

I have a question about the metal struts on the side panels - the welds are cracked should I be worried? I took for a service and they said not to worry but it seems structural to me! They are cracked on both sides and horse has only ever travelled in one side!

Thanks

Becka

I had the same problem with mine. I caused it myself by picking up a load of post and rail in it. I welded the joints myself and they've been good since. Rivet heads sometime shear or corrode off (I have a rivet gun and a box of rivets on standby just in case) and sealant joints failing near the wheels and around the front panel so it leaked (fixed). Other than that is been good. I gave up contacting Rice Richardson years ago as they NEVER answered emails.

stewuk

New User
Visit site
Hi all , hopefully someone can help me, I have just purchased an old rice Richardson cheap at £350 but need a little work.It would help me immensely if I actually knew what trailer it was for example I need a couple of wheel bearings. The serial number is S24158 and the model number is DL17.
If anyone knows what model trailer I actually have it would be a great place to start in trying to source the parts I need(if it helps previous owner used it for his 17 hand and 17.2 horses and it has old landrover tyres on it.

lazybee

Visit site
Hello stewuk,

I think you'll find the number you've given is for the inside sleeve the bearing goes onto. The best thing to do is speak to a bearing supplier like Bearingboys dot co dot uk or someone like that. Most are standard sizes and not expensive.

LB

JillA

Visit site
Shame - they made what looked like the only decent rear facing trailer. I wonder if someone else will take that on - Ifor Williams told me they had no plans to.

spacefaer

Visit site
Try Warwickshire Trailers - the ramp assisters are like hen's teeth though - you might struggle to get one. You could get one made up by a competent engineer if you can take the existing one off

popsdosh

Visit site
Shame - they made what looked like the only decent rear facing trailer. I wonder if someone else will take that on - Ifor Williams told me they had no plans to.
As I understand it nobody at the moment can produce a rear facing trailer as a certain manufacturer managed to patent it!! I believe it expires in the near future.

Audeon

New User
Visit site
The Irish Blue Cross have three Richardson Supreme Treble trailers in their fleet;2004, 2006, 2007. They also have 2 1998 (pre Richardson) large Rice Beaufort 60's (later Trebles).
All Richardsons' have over 100,000 miles, one has over 200,000 miles.
All have major servicing carried out by Stanley's of Woodsgift, Co Kilkenny.

Apart from specific parts (Nose Cone, Front Top Door) we can readily get all other parts (hitch, brakes, axels, bearings, hubs, lighting, door springs, door hinges etc etc) from various suppliers in Ireland or the UK, generally on short delivery.

A recent survey of the galvanised frame structure and nylon floors conclude that the trailers will be capable of a further ten years of use. Replacing the exterior coated panels is not difficult.

We have upgraded all trailers to LED lighting (it was a weakness on the last two trailers). On the two older Rice trailers we have fitted upright coil spring assistors to the rear ramp (generic units, just weld on the hooks).

Richardsons were well built and with reasonable maintenance they should last twenty years from new and are economical and straightforward to maintain and refurbish. Apart from the structure and GRP parts, everything else was "off the shelf" OEM manufacture and is still available (even the little silver aluminium hub caps are a standard item - without the stick on logo).

applecart14

Visit site
As you may know Richardson Rice are no longer trading.
However if anyone has any questions re these trailers (parts/servicing etc) please PM me as I know 2 of their previous employees with over 40 years manufacturer experience (between them) so should be able to help with anything.

Thanks for that I will bear that in mind. Mine is still going strong - I've had it since 1995, Dad's replaced the floor and tongue and grooved all the hard wood, altered the partition, replace the panelling inside and painted in three times. Its a lovely trailer and hopefully will go on for many years to come. If you look after them, they can last a lifetime.

Demist

New User
Visit site
Hi!
I know this is a long shot, but the spare wheel cover for my Richardson supreme horse trailer came off and was lost coming home from a show and I'm struggling to source one to buy. I saw that you know an ex employee of richardsons & wondered if they knew where I could source one please? Long shot I know! :)