Ridiculous injuries

Jules111

Visit site
Soooo many injuries due to my clumsiness...

I've punched my daughter in the face when tightening her girth. Also launched her over the top of the pony when giving a leg up.

I broke my finger dismounting and somehow getting it stuck in an "oh shit" strap on a youngster i'd just backed. Lost count of the number of times i've hit myself in the face with a stirrup iron. My head must be just the wrong height when untacking and I never seem to learn to move it out of the way.

Yesterday my friend gave herself a black eye flicking her stubborn gelding with a lead rope when the rope bounced off the stable door she was trying to get him through and connected with her face.

zandp

Visit site
Broke some ribs pushing a wheel barrow up a plank into the muck trailer. Slipped forward landed on the end edge of the plank and emptied the full wheelbarrow over my head burying myself in the process.
Being unable to stop laughing is not good with broken ribs.
I did that but managed not to crack ribs - gave myself a black eye as I fell down I headbutted my wheelbarrow before I buried myself.

The most spectacular accident was jumping a ditch on a lovely cob called George - he stopped, I kicked on and must have leant back because as he sprang forward my borrowed BP hit the cantle and I somersaulted backwards off him, landing on my feet on one side of the ditch with him, having jumped it, on the other.

WandaMare

Visit site
I once slipped backwards down the muck heap plank with an overloaded wheelbarrow and stumbled so far back I ended up with my back side in the water trough, it was of course middle of winter and freezing. I was laughing so much I couldn't drag myself out and my fleece lined jods filled up like a sponge, they were so heavy I couldn't move. No-one rushed to help of course, my fellow liveries just split their sides laughing, not my most dignified moment.

risky business

Visit site
Not all horsey!

I was once pushing a wheelbarrow full of 'leavings' up a steep ramp that happened to be wet. Gave it a big heave ho, wheel barrow stayed I however slipped forward straight into the barrow.. Face full of horse.... Lucky for me no one saw!!!

I remember walking out the hay shed once and one of those god awful crane flies came at me! In my haste to run backwards I forgot about the hay pallets, which I promptly fell over backwards landing flat on my back!

My most embarrassing was finishing a shift on my ambulance getting home and changed, rushing down the stairs for dinner.. Went head over heels down the stairs and ended up going to A&E. Mortifying! I'd literally said good bye to work colleagues an hour ago and their faces seeing me sat in the waiting room was priceless! Ever a time for the ground to swallow you up!

exracehorse

Visit site
Broke my leg last summer getting the washing in from the garden. Broke my fibula. Yesterday was in hospital as I was merrily riding Woody when he put a buck in. Nothing crazy. Usual high jinks. But I heard my hand snap. So sitting here typing away with my hand in a cast.

Splash2310

Visit site
Bringing this thread back to life as I had my own ridiculous injury last night!

Supercob decided he wanted to clear the 1m+ spread by over 30cm, and upon landing I’ve managed to bruise the inside of both of my knees ?. Knew one was feeling slightly painful but due to the freezing whether didn’t quite realise the extent of the bruising until I’d defrosted...

Hexx

Visit site
I broke my hand tripping on the rubber matting in my stable - went flying and hit the wall with my hand rather than my head - 8 weeks in plaster.

I also blew a disc in my back sneezing - that ended up with major surgery having the disc removed!

Sleipnir

Visit site
I was lunging my then youngster in the field many years ago on a cold winters' morning, when he spooked at something at the canter, dropped his shoulder, leaped close to me and flung his head, directly contacting mine. He clocked me out efficiently. Luckily, there was a friend nearby who was there to film how very obedient my then youngster was supposed to be, so she was able to slap me awake. :p I now wear a helmet when lunging greenies.

Annagain

Visit site
How did I miss this the first time round!

1. Getting on Eb was an acquired skill. He'd always start walking off so you always have to aim further forwards to keep up with him. Once, he decided to go backwards instead so I threw myself enthusiastically straight over his neck. As I landed I hit my foot on a stack of breeze blocks and broke my big toe.

2. Archie put in many 'dirty' stops (we later realised he had terrible foot issues) that I fell off him many many times jumping. I never hurt myself badly. The only injury I had with him was dislocated my little finger getting it caught in his mane when he DID jump. The rest of my hand went forwards and my finger stayed in the same place. The following day he went quite lame and his foot problems were diagnosed so that jump was bad for both of us.

3. I was getting Eb in from the field in a hurry and just threw a lead rope round his neck. He decided (as he frequently did) to pull away from me and do his own thing. The lead rope flipped in the air and the clip catapulted towards me, hit me on the head and cut my scalp open. I had a 4 hr wait in A&E to be glued back together and my favourite cream Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt was ruined.

4. My personal favourite. I tore my calf muscle trotting Monty up for the vet. I ended up lamer than him, the vet had to strap it up so I could drive home and I had to have a fortnight off work as even though I was ok sitting down, I couldn't manage the walk to and from the train station or balancing standing up on the packed train. By the time it gets to my stop, even getting on is tricky, let alone getting on far enough to reach the seats and finding someone to give up theirs for you, even with crutches. Work wouldn't give me a temporary parking space as they said I shouldn't be driving.

Berpisc

Visit site
Eons ago when I milked cows, I threw a last half bucket of water on the parlour floor when rinsing off. Bad move, my back considered this the final insult and I was in a lot of pain before the chiropractor could sort things out. I nearly keeled over like some sort of cartoon character (luckily I grabbed hold of a handy rail). I also discovered the joys of co codamol.

zandp

Visit site
Last week at the yard, totally forgot how to walk, tripped up a step, landed on my left side - shoulder / hip / knee - in the drain that held the run off from 3 stables. Have a comedy bump on my knee but no bruising !!

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Henry stepped and twisted on my big toe coming off the trailer at a show. Ripped the nail and half the nail bed off, and pretty sure it was broken, was super painful and couldn’t walk properly for weeks... Should probably have gone to a&e but didn’t. Still managed to jump 2 SJ rounds though, just shoved a load of tissue in my socks to try and stop it bleeding through my boot... 18months later the nail has just about grown back but still has a big split down the middle

Greylegs

Visit site
Once when I was small, my dad gave me an over enthusiastic leg up onto a pony .... chucked me clean over to the other side (not sure if I actually touched the pony as I flew over it) and gave myself a terrible nose bleed as I landed face first on the other side.

smolmaus

Visit site
Ty so much for resurrecting this thread, some of these are amazing ?

My only (touch wood) horsey injury (despite many falls, several spectacular ones) is slipping off sideways in walk when mare spooked at ?????. Felt something pop in the pelvis, hopped to the car and yelped every time mum took a corner on the way home, refused to go to A&E. Just hopped for a 3 days, hobbled for 2 weeks. Hip has never been the same!

Non horsey injury, slipped on a wet floor of a pub wearing kitten heel boots, woke up 3 days later in intensive care with a cracked skull, a lump the size of a mango on the back of my head and parents who genuinely thought I might die. Bar owners told the ambulance crew I had been up on my friends shoulders to try and head off the lawsuit I had no intention of filing. It happened at 6pm in a basically empty bar, I was a wild 21yo but not that wild!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Many silly injuries here...

Doing some remedial training to a Police horse who had got silly with flags, had a wonderful session in-hand, gained a lot of confidence with the horse. Decided to clear away whilst holding said horse. I had ignored 2 basic rules of the BHS...

1. Take spurs off when working in-hand (spurs were a compulsory part of uniform and TBH necessary when remedial working a 17.1hh horse on the streets as well as on the premises).
2. Never loop your arm through the rein.

The horse was cool with everything, until I turned, tripped over my own spur and the flags were tossed aloft. He reared up to spin away, launched me clean off my feet by the rein, which slipped UP my arm... and broke the top clean off my arm.

Sadly, it was only a couple of weeks off our big annual display, you know, jumping through hoops of fire etc, and it was my first one, and the Sgt said that if I took any time off then I couldn't be on the display team...

So, I stayed at work. For 2 days.

I was completely unable to lift my right arm. Dosed up with Diclofenac. Drove the work with one arm and knees. Someone else had to tack up. I could use my hand, so riding looked OK ish, until I tried to signal right on the road and a driver actually stopped us (only my hand had signalled) to tell me that I looked like a bird with a broken wing. I admitted defeat and drove (one armed, with knees) to the hospital, for the unqualified receptionist to tell me that I couldn't possibly have broken it, or I wouldn't be standing there having driven myself.

There I was, drenched in sweat from the pain, on so many diclofenac that, had they know, I would have had my stomach pumped, and I had to wait hours, for a Dr to tell me it wasn't broken, but it was also his first ever shift in A&E!

Went home, they told me to 'use the arm as much as possible' so I dutifully tried to move it... The pain was immense (was moving the sliver of bone that should have been attached) but the arm resolutely stayed down. Even tried to 'tell' the arm to move whilst waving it aloft by grabbing it with the opposing hand, to no avail. I NEEDED to get it moving for Monday or no display team.

Monday was no better, so I went to my GP. He took one look at the outline of my shoulder/arm through my clothes and said it was plainly broken or dislocated, arms don't hang like that! I refused to go back to A&E, being as they had been so rude and dismissive, and was sent to the local private hospital same day for an MRI (was in BUPA) where they diagnosed top broken completely off arm and recommended pinning and plating.

That was a good 6 weeks off work then, and yes, I missed my first display (but was there for 20 years, so needn't have been bothered!!!).

Oh, and a lesson here, BUPA tried to sue work for the cost of treatment, despite the fact I told them it was entirely my fault! They went for the grass was slippery and the horse was not trained well enough (we know, I was a trainer and qualified to re-train, so no go there!).

Also done the punch to the face when girthing, cleaning girth straps with saddle soap is not recommended.

Once went through work's arena gate, having taught new horse to do the catch etc, but didn't open it wide enough, the horse continued through, the long rider friendly catch went straight down my boot, the horse continued... Fortunately the other foot came out of the strip so I let go and the horse ended up in the arena and I ended up hanging on the gate and needed rescuing!

Oh, as a kid, doing gymkhana games on a riding school pony, I don't know why, I suspect I was rough as excited, the pony threw his head up, bashed me in the face and cracked a front tooth root. Caused me issues for years.

Also as a kid, used to go fetch the ponies from the field bareback for the riding school, it was actually a half hour ride, ride one and lead one or two. It was the days of cheap plastic cagoules, with hoods. Not good when on a wooded path. Yes, got a branch in the hood, was dragged off backwards, lost at least one horse.

Once took my new first pony for a hack. Went off piste in a wood, tried to splash through a stream, it was a bog. Pony sunk down, I sunk down, we both thrashed around, my boot was sucked off, he trod on my leg, it took ages to get out. I returned to the yard in disorder, minus the boot which simply had disappeared. We both looked like swamp monsters and I had a perfect crescent hoof shaped bruise on my leg that was there for weeks.

As a pony club kid, had a new horse, was asked to do a round the world by the instructor, on a 10 acre field. I was actually quite a sensible 15 year old and said that it was a young Irish horse who had not been a kid's horse before, so could she hold his head? She said yes, we all started to do the round the world, another pony started to eat or wander off or something so the instructor LET GO of my horse, which set off and went galloping round the field. I was saying woah or something, feeling for the reins behind me (of course I was sitting backwards when he went) but he slipped and I was catapulted to the floor. My knee was agony, so the Pony Club arranged for a competent rider to ride my horse back to the yard, where they drove me to... and left me, a 15 year old child, alone in the yard in the middle of nowhere... before the days of mobile phones...

I had a bike to cycle home on. I set off but simply could not pedal, it felt like my leg was bending backwards, so I had to hop along, using my bike as a crutch, it was a hour's walk...

By the time I got home, I had lost the plot, I had obviously had a head injury too as all I could think was that I needed to go to the dentist (dentist???). Rung mum at work, she was in a meeting and could not be disturbed, happily the lady who took the call realised I was 'not right' and was concerned that I was repetitive and could not remember if I had a dentist appointment, could not remember the name of the dentist or where he was, and deduced that I had been in an accident. Bless her, she drove to me and drove me to hospital, where they diagnosed a broken kneecap. That one has plagued me all of my life too, knee never did heal up properly. Missed the summer with my new horse and had to start school in September still on crutches. Oh, and my horse was turned out with some others for the summer and got ringworm - adding insult to injury!

So many more, but enough to embarrass myself for now!

GreyMane

Visit site
Thank you so much for this thread. :D
My friend and I refer to these as our "Captain Clumsy" moments.

My FIL snagged the loop of his walking boot laces on the top hooks of the opposite boot, which prevented him taking the next step forward so he went down like a tree, flat on his face in the mud in front of all the farmers at the local ploughing match. Same thing happened in the garage, he narrowly missed the circular saw. Fortunately the only real injury was to pride, but after the second time he did saw the hooks off the boots.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
Broke my little finger as I went over a teeeeeeny little jump & reached forward to give Dave his head.......
& clipped my knuckle off his shoulder.
Heard the crack. Here, have a few weeks in a huge splint.