Riding and the Menopause

J&S

Visit site
I would totally recommend the hysterectomy option. I am nearly 75 now, I had the operation when I was about 48/49 and it was life changing. I had a fibroid too, that I could feel in my tummy when I lay down, like a tennis ball there. Terrible perods, so bad I was very anaemic, had to have loads of injections prior to op and still very low blood count. I kept my ovaries and have tried HRT a couple of times but it really did not agree with me so did the recovery and since then au naturel! I rode my pony the day the doctor signed me off at 6 weeks. I have not looked back since then.

Asha

Visit site
? Thats brilliant!

6 weeks off sounds a small price to pay for complete freedom and white knickers!!

I agree with Catembi & J&S i was in the same position. It came to a head because i had to go to an important meeting at the HQ of our customers . It fell on the 2nd day of my period. Which i knew was a disaster. I couldnt sit in a meeting for anywhere near an hour without the flood gates opening ( once i stood up) No amount of towels/tampons could cope.. I was mortified. Phoned my GP, got a referral and within 2 weeks had the hysterectomy. I had a few weeks off work, but by god it was worth it.
i too now have lots of white / cream underwear and have no issues hanging it on the washing line anymore:p

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mm....definitely sounding more and more like a good option! Will see if I can get another appointment with the consultant and talk it through with him.

Annagain

Visit site
I've only just found this thread (not sure how I missed it before) and I suddenly feel like I've found my tribe! It's only in the last 3 or 4 months that I've started to realise everything (or a lot of it at least) I've been feeling is down to the perimenopause and I've not just turned into a complete wimp and emotional wreck overnight. I've cried more over the last year than I ever have in my adult life before. I'm only 43 which is partly why it didn't cross my mind that it was the menopause. Then I started getting periods every 3 weeks and cry-fests exactly a week before and it all started falling into place.

With me, it's been complicated by getting Charlie at the same time so I thought it was all down to not trusting him even though the poor sod's done nothing wrong. A big part of the issue is a total lack of confidence in what I'm able to teach him so I *think* I'm going to pop him on schooling livery for a month or two and see how I feel about a) riding him again once I've seen him doing things with someone else and b) how much I miss him when he's not around. I can then decide whether to stick with him or get something a bit more established. I've never sold a horse before so just the thought of it makes me feel sick. I really don't want to but if this could go on ten years, maybe I have to.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've only just found this thread (not sure how I missed it before) and I suddenly feel like I've found my tribe! It's only in the last 3 or 4 months that I've started to realise everything (or a lot of it at least) I've been feeling is down to the perimenopause and I've not just turned into a complete wimp and emotional wreck overnight. I've cried more over the last year than I ever have in my adult life before. I'm only 43 which is partly why it didn't cross my mind that it was the menopause. Then I started getting periods every 3 weeks and cry-fests exactly a week before and it all started falling into place.

With me, it's been complicated by getting Charlie at the same time so I thought it was all down to not trusting him even though the poor sod's done nothing wrong. A big part of the issue is a total lack of confidence in what I'm able to teach him so I *think* I'm going to pop him on schooling livery for a month or two and see how I feel about a) riding him again once I've seen him doing things with someone else and b) how much I miss him when he's not around. I can then decide whether to stick with him or get something a bit more established. I've never sold a horse before so just the thought of it makes me feel sick. I really don't want to but if this could go on ten years, maybe I have to.

If it helps, my cry-fest year was 2019 when I was 46. Also had horrific rages. 2020 was a bit better and this year I've felt a lot more emotionally stable. My anxiety is still there but mostly means I worry myself stupid about my children, ponies etc and suffer anxiety attacks when I'm driving. BUT my riding confidence came back in spades to the point I backed and brought on my 4 year old and happily hack him out on the roads etc. I've even considered jumping again and I haven't jumped for years!

I don't know exactly what the turning point was but Ive definitely found that taking evening primrose capsules helps as does drinking soya milk and taking Kalms for a few days if I start feeling a bit edgy.

I can totally see how buying Charlie in that time period has been so difficult. It can be very hard to take the emotion out of a situation, and I don't know if you get the cloudy-headedness too but it can be almost impossible to make a decision when you can't think clearly and rationally.

I think having a break from Charlie might help make things a bit clearer. It'll give you the space you need to decide if this is something you can work through.

Asha

Visit site

this thread is fantastic isnt it ! Its a real place to offload how you feel and more importantly to understand that you are not alone.
Ive started talking about the menopause with my friends / husband and even in a pole work lesson. I think its so important we get talking and shake off the stigma.
Im not on any meds at the minute, but the thing ive found that has really helped with my symptoms is giving up the booze ( i do have a drink on a saturday night, but i was drinking through the week which ive now stopped). I sleep better, have less hot flushes and im no where near as emotional. Plus voltoral for the muscle aches . Thats been a godsend.

J&S

Visit site
Pre hysterectomy my working life was seriously affected. I was an antique dealer and did several large markets each week, this was so difficult having to rush off from the stall! Also, during the very bad time, I left my house and husband and was thinking of getting a "proper" job, when the letter for the interview came I actually ducked out because I could not imagine being able to cope with going to work and having to leave my desk/office so frequently. Strangely I never had too many confidence wobbles or other physical problems.

McGrools

Visit site
Hey ladies, i think this is the same thread whereby i was recommended magnesium oil spray, and i promised i would come back with a review. And yes, i would say it definately helps with aches and pains and general wellbeing. It stings a bit at first when you spray it on skin that is not used to it, but i have felt much more physically capable scince using it.
a friend told me that you cant get enough magnesium in any form xx

J&S

Visit site
I used that for the dreadful cramp I was getting last year........ enough to make me pass out with pain. I found it very soothing and helped to warm the affected area around my hip and thigh. Its a bit messy though, sprayed everywhere if you weren't careful.