Riding and the Menopause

TotalMadgeness

Visit site
Just to add my 2p... I had a hysterectomy at 38 & although I kept my ovaries, they gave up early & I went into menopause - which I didn't realise at the time as the only symptom was not sleeping & I have never been a good sleeper. I only realised what was happening 2 years later when I started getting hot flushes. Went to the dr, got oestrogen only HRT which stopped the hot flushes... I then had another TEN YEARS of barely sleeping, finally saw a private meno consultant & she straight away said, well of course you're not sleeping - you've got no progesterone (the levels were barely readable). So I am now on oestrogen gel, testosterone gel, DHEA and progesterone. I can SLEEP (to the extent that I would normally), my strength levels have eased upwards, I am setting all sorts of personal bests in the gym & I feel fantastic. Menopause middle has nearly disappeared, skin looks amazing, anxiety levels have dropped.

I got a new youngster in April, started going out n about for clinics, started hacking again, cantered out hacking, jumped up to about 80 cm & actually felt ready to do more. I was really, really hoping that a bit of gung ho ness might come back...but now he's got PSSM. It was definitely looking good for a bit.

My HRT is also bioidentical so the consultant says that I can take it forever. I was 50 this year.

Who is your private meno consultant if I may ask? I have been on Kliovance for years and still have broken sleep and no energy (never mind the weight gain). I have asked the GP for help a few times now and last time I even suggested that I see a consultant but her answer was to prescribe anti depressants - when I'm most definitely not depressed.

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
I am grateful for finding this thread as I am late 40's so knew it was going to happen but didn't realise brain fog and anxiety were symptoms! Reading your experiences I think I am there, although my symptoms don't really bother me, do they get worse over time or can they be mild?

I remember puberty didn't cause me any issues so wonder if I might hope the menopause is the same?
I had no issues at puberty and sailed through the menopause, normal period one month then nothing…. no daytime hot flushes, only at night and the constant disturbed sleep was debilitating, especially as I was working in a pressurised environment. That’s when I started the HRT.
As this thread shows (and thanks for starting it Jellymoon) we have many different experiences. I do wonder if not having children made mine easier.

Alibear

Visit site
I can't find who mentioned the superdrug online service but thanks. I've just tried it as my GP is throwing up yet more hoops and I've had enough. Superdrug might refuse too but I'm going to try as all my checks have come back normal so we know there's nothing else going on.

Last edited:

catembi

Visit site
Who is your private meno consultant if I may ask? I have been on Kliovance for years and still have broken sleep and no energy (never mind the weight gain). I have asked the GP for help a few times now and last time I even suggested that I see a consultant but her answer was to prescribe anti depressants - when I'm most definitely not depressed.

This is the place I am using: online menopause centre - Google Search

Re bioidentical hormones & there being 2 types, and the compounded type not being recommended... Take what I say with a massive pinch of salt as what I understand about science would go on the back of a stamp, but how it was explained to me: apparently GP prescribed hormones (for want of a better categorisation) are in pre-set amounts so for example my old oestrogen tablets came in 1 mcg or 2 mcg... So I *think* that the compounded ones might be using (for example) 0.5 mcg or 1.5 mcg or whatever, but this exact quantity hasn't been through the testing process? Because only 1 mcg & 2 mcg have been 'officially' tested & authorised...? There is also possibly another complication for using (I think) testosterone to treat the menopause because it's off licence... You know how sometimes we might use a human drug for horses but it's not 'intended' for that so it's off licence even though everyone knows that it's fine...? The same as that.

The online menopause centre explained all this at the time & there is probably a better explanation on their website somewhere. I did think that they were possibly just saying it to sell their product (but went along with it), then a couple of months later my employer put on a seminar using a completely different, well respected consultant, and she addressed this exact thing and explained it all in a similar way, and was very definite that compounded & bioidentical were absolutely fine. I looked her up & found her website & whatever it said on there was reassuring. But whatever the ins & outs of it - it works, so I'm happy.

southerncomfort

Visit site
I do think middle aged women get a bit of a raw deal when it comes to medical issues.

I've had abnormal bleeding and a swollen abdomen since December last year and I still haven't seen or spoken to a Dr, only a nurse. I've had to fight for every test and investigation. I finally managed to get an ultrasound scan 3 weeks ago ( and only because I'm now very anaemic) but I've still not managed to speak to anyone about what, if anything, it showed. Their was vague talk of referring me to a gynaecologist but that still hasn't happened.

I thought it was because of covid but my mum says she has always found the same thing and that once you hit your forties their is a lack of care and its all too easy to fall through the cracks.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I do think middle aged women get a bit of a raw deal when it comes to medical issues.

I've had abnormal bleeding and a swollen abdomen since December last year and I still haven't seen or spoken to a Dr, only a nurse. I've had to fight for every test and investigation. I finally managed to get an ultrasound scan 3 weeks ago ( and only because I'm now very anaemic) but I've still not managed to speak to anyone about what, if anything, it showed. Their was vague talk of referring me to a gynaecologist but that still hasn't happened.

I thought it was because of covid but my mum says she has always found the same thing and that once you hit your forties their is a lack of care and its all too easy to fall through the cracks.

Please, please, please chase the results up. I know of someone who found that her abnormal bleeding which the GP had simply changed her pill for (several times) who was eventually diagnosed with overian cancer.

cauda equina

Visit site

Blimey, that's awful
Keep on nagging until you get the referral. Don't let them fob you off

McGrools

Visit site
We do get a raw deal from the nhs on this issue. I went private in the end and was immediately prescribed the oestrogen gel. I’m not sure it has been hugely effective however so will go back soon.
My main symptoms are tiredness all the time, restless sleep, bad mood swings.
Riding wise, i dont feel any less brave but less confident in my ability to multi task or remember a sj course. I’ve had mind blocks at least 3x over the last year whilst riding a course. Its so annoying. I also feel like i just havent got the energy to compete and do all the prep required.
Its really rubbish. I agree with the poster above who said keeping on top of the exercise, esp running helps a lot, but i struggle to move somedays let alone run! I think the endorphins really kick the aches and pains into touch!
Great post and good luck ladies in getting the help you need xx

southerncomfort

Visit site
Please, please, please chase the results up. I know of someone who found that her abnormal bleeding which the GP had simply changed her pill for (several times) who was eventually diagnosed with overian cancer.

Oh that's dreadful! Poor woman!

I *think* I was tested for ovarian cancer but I'm going to double check and insist they give me the scan results too.

catembi

Visit site
McGrools - get some progesterone! After 12 years of awful, unrefreshing sleep where one day simply felt like a continuation of the day before - finally I can sleep! I am also on testosterone, DHEA (the hormone that gives you get up & go) & oestrogen gel.

McGrools

Visit site
McGrools - get some progesterone! After 12 years of awful, unrefreshing sleep where one day simply felt like a continuation of the day before - finally I can sleep! I am also on testosterone, DHEA (the hormone that gives you get up & go) & oestrogen gel.

Fab thanks Catembi x i will get on it asap
Looking forward to having energy. I’ve Been teaching at pony club this week and was just amazed at where the little ones get their endless energy from. Oh to have a bit of that! ?

Schollym

Visit site
In this new spirit of openness, I thought I’d ask how any of you ladies have coped with having horses through the menopause?.
In particular, coping with the increased anxiety coupled with still riding, competing, dealing with young horses, backing horses etc. How many of you have pushed on through the fear and panic attacks and come out the other side just as brave and confident as you were before? Or is it best to admit defeat and trade the sports horses and the eventing dreams in for a safe plod. (Please not yet!)
Also, how the heck did you cope with watching your kids flinging themselves and their feisty ponies round the countryside during the menopause ? My teenage daughter now wants to event, and my hormones are screaming ‘no way, can’t cope with that’ and my rational side says,’ well, that’s what you do, so you can’t stop her!’
The physical symptoms are not too bad, can pretty much ignore them, it’s the mental symptoms I’m struggling with. The ‘what if that happens’ when I’m at the yard on my own, or getting on a fresh horse. Is this just a phase and will my normal self return? Because I quite liked her, she was quite cool (or thought she was) and had many years of riding fun left in her, still dreamt of being interviewed by Claire Balding one day….Not so keen on this new version, reminds me of my mum….horror!!!
HRT!

New2this

Visit site
Still I prefer it to the alternative ;)

ha! Me too! Just wish we weren’t so (I think I’m quoting de Beauvoir here - trying to be clever) “tied to the species”. I feel like I am quite literally a mad woman some days. In the 1800s my husband may have had me locked up sort of crazy.

Brownmare

Visit site
I am just starting to dip my toe in the water of perimenopause (yay!) but I have found magnesium oil a HUGE help. Poor sleep, anxiety, mood swings, fatigue etc all sorted by a few sprays of magnesium on my skin after a shower. Please please give it a go if you have any of these symptoms. I couldn't believe the difference it made to me and I had taken other forms of magnesium before with very little effect.

teapot

Visit site
I am just starting to dip my toe in the water of perimenopause (yay!) but I have found magnesium oil a HUGE help. Poor sleep, anxiety, mood swings, fatigue etc all sorted by a few sprays of magnesium on my skin after a shower. Please please give it a go if you have any of these symptoms. I couldn't believe the difference it made to me and I had taken other forms of magnesium before with very little effect.

My ears are pricking at the constant mention of magnesium on this thread, any suggestions as to what to buy, I'm willing to give anything a go!

Jellymoon

Visit site
Well, as a result of this thread, I’ve now been on my hrt patches for 4 days and I’ve had two full nights sleep and feel loads better. Might be psychosomatic but who cares!
I’m wondering though, if it’s better to go to a private clinic and get blood tests etc and get a personalised treatment…? I just went to the Gp.

Also very interested in all the mentions of magnesium. Maybe there’s something I can give to myself and the horses, calm everyone down!!!

Jellymoon

Visit site
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. I am peri menopausal at the moment. It can feel bit scary. Like I’m losing myself. Actually one of the reasons I bought a horse. So far, it hasn’t effected riding. But it is good for me to know it might.

Being a woman is hard work....
It is scary, terrifying in fact. I sometimes feel so consumed by anxiety I can’t really function normally. I’ve never had anything like it before, and I don’t think it’s who I am or who I want to be. Maybe it was rumbling away below the surface, and now I can’t control it.
Many of these posts have given me great hope though, and I’m starting to feel the positive effects of the hrt I started earlier in the week already.
I’ve even had two really nice rides and the horses seem a lot calmer!

New2this

Visit site
It is scary, terrifying in fact. I sometimes feel so consumed by anxiety I can’t really function normally.

I recognise so much of this. The anxiety. The not really feeling myself and not really functioning. The scariest part for me is the rage. I never had a temper. I used to teach primary school. I’d hear other teachers shouting. I never lost my temper. I just didn’t have much of a temper. Now everything makes me cross. It’s awful. In general I don’t show it. But inside I am fuming. I can actually hear the blood rushing in my head. I. Really. Want. That. To. Stop.
Going to buy some magnesium oil.

Brownmare

Visit site
My ears are pricking at the constant mention of magnesium on this thread, any suggestions as to what to buy, I'm willing to give anything a go!
This is the one I use and for me it has been far more effective than taking it via pills or drinks.
Organic Magnesium Zechstein Oil Spray - 1000ml + 100ml | 100% Natural Ultra Pure Magnesium Oil from Organic Magnesium | Perfect for Sports & Muscle Re https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077S7Y9T8/ref=cm_sw_r_apanp_ESusOwfqJBNJv

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I do wonder if not having children made mine easier.

That's an interesting thought, I have none either and all I had during the menopause was night time sweats and a weird, frightening, brain scrambling feeling of horror just as I dropped off to sleep. It was so awful I used to slap myself to wake up to stop it happening and then I could fall asleep properly.

I don't know if you are childless by choice (sorry if you're not) but I often wonder if my lack of maternal feelings and lack of menopause symptoms were both a result of lower oestrogen levels.

Reactions: Kat

Rumtytum

Have Marmite, will travel
Visit site
That's an interesting thought, I have none either and all I had during the menopause was night time sweats and a weird, frightening, brain scrambling feeling of horror just as I dropped off to sleep. It was so awful I used to slap myself to wake up to stop it happening and then I could fall asleep properly.

I don't know if you are childless by choice (sorry if you're not) but I often wonder if my lack of maternal feelings and lack of menopause symptoms were both a result of lower oestrogen levels.
By choice!
You may well be correct, I’ve never considered a connection, just thought myself blessed to have the choice of children or not and an event- free menopause.
Your pre-dropping off to sleep horrors sounds really awful ?

Jellymoon

Visit site

Oh my gosh, the brain scrambling feeling of horror when the light goes off and it’s time to sleep - I can completely relate to that. I quickly grab my e-reader.

Jellymoon

Visit site
I recognise so much of this. The anxiety. The not really feeling myself and not really functioning. The scariest part for me is the rage. I never had a temper. I used to teach primary school. I’d hear other teachers shouting. I never lost my temper. I just didn’t have much of a temper. Now everything makes me cross. It’s awful. In general I don’t show it. But inside I am fuming. I can actually hear the blood rushing in my head. I. Really. Want. That. To. Stop.
Going to buy some magnesium oil.
Yep, it’s like a fire building up inside, roaring in my ears. And I couldn’t put in writing the thoughts that pop into my brain in those moments, you’d send the police round.
The horses do help with all of this, normally, even though they are making me feel anxious at times.