Riding and the Menopause

Pinkvboots

I feel my confidence has taken a dive breaking my ankle also didn't help and for a long time I felt like my riding was terrible, if the slightest thing went wrong I would just cry and get off and get really angry with myself, I still have off days but I do feel a lot better now about riding I think you have come to terms with the fact your not that rider anymore,.

New2this

Yep, it’s like a fire building up inside, roaring in my ears. And I couldn’t put in writing the thoughts that pop into my brain in those moments, you’d send the police round.
The horses do help with all of this, normally, even though they are making me feel anxious at times.
O my gosh yes. A fire roaring in my ears. And the scary thoughts. AND the horse helping. He really does help.

Alibear

My Superdrug order arrived on Friday :) I'm slightly unnerved by how easy that was after all the NHS hoops. I have estrogen patches and progesterone pills. Pills are for 12 days out of 30 so I've left them for now and just on my first patch as of Friday, but already I'm functioning better. I'm supposed to get a call from the GP on Thursday so will see what they say before I do more.

McGrools

My Superdrug order arrived on Friday :) I'm slightly unnerved by how easy that was after all the NHS hoops. I have estrogen patches and progesterone pills. Pills are for 12 days out of 30 so I've left them for now and just on my first patch as of Friday, but already I'm functioning better. I'm supposed to get a call from the GP on Thursday so will see what they say before I do more.
Brilliant, i will have a look at superdrug. My magnesium oil spray had arrived so i’ll be spraying myself daily and see what happens xx

Cowpony

Well, I am proof that you can get your confidence back! I've just taken on a new loan pony, who I hope will be a good BD prospect for me. I need to give her a variety of work so she doesn't get school sour, so I thought I'd do a little cross-pole occasionally, having not jumped for well over 2 years and not competed at jumping for more like 4 or 5.

I signed up for a livery lesson at our yard, which was a flat lesson last week, and got a message from the instructor a couple of hours before the start that it would be a jumping lesson. Oh sh1t! Well, I'd thought I would do a bit of jumping with her, so may as well do it with an instructor there. I resolved to do the low levels and stop at about 2 feet, then spend the rest of the lesson schooling.

Nope! Jump started at 2 feet and rapidly ascended to a 2'3"/2'6ish oxer (which some friends said we were clearing by at least a foot :eek:), then combined with 2 other jumps which were high cross-poles ("high" being a relative term here as you can probably tell). Well, we did it! And I even (whisper it!) enjoyed it :D. And managed to sit a very short stride chipped in with a huge hump of the back to get over it, when I managed to get her to the jump on a shocking stride. Quite proud of myself!

So don't discount the scary things that you used to do and tell yourself you'll never do that again, because when the time is right, and on the right horse, you'll surprise yourself.