Right on way on a steep hill with a trailer

luckyoldme

Visit site
I've just noticed this. They get feed to farms by parking on the accessible road and delivering feed on a fork-lift. That is a regular occurrence here, we don't have milk tankers, or indeed dairy farms, all our farms have either sheep or beef cattle.
We can't get our horsebox home. It lives on a neighbour's land and we load the horses on the road, because *the roads aren't wide enough*.
Lol.
Now that i know that you live in an area where no truck ever uses a single track road and all farmers come out to main roads with forklifts I apologise.
We are so used to having to deliver down roads that folk think we shouldnt be on that I just cant imagine that!
My main point though is that driving down single track lanes in a vehicle you cant or wont reverse isnt a good long term plan.
Sooner or later you will meet someone else who cant or wont reverse and you end up in a situation like this.
I hate to be sexist on this but there are still a few men who love to say if you cant get round there you shouldnt be driving it.
Ive come up against it so many times and its much better being the one who can reverse and not rely on others.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My main point though is that driving down single track lanes in a vehicle you cant or wont reverse isnt a good long term plan.
Sooner or later you will meet someone else who cant or wont reverse and you end up in a situation like this.
I hate to be sexist on this but there are still a few men who love to say if you cant get round there you shouldnt be driving it.
Ive come up against it so many times and its much better being the one who can reverse and not rely on others.
I'd agree with your sentiment. the last few times I've met someone on a single track road that couldn't reverse it was an older man in a sports car. happened two weeks on the trot when taking the horsebox out. I'd have reversed if need be (blind bends and all, haha) but they had such a short distance to go. it was painful to watch but I have to say I felt the same, if he couldn't reverse he ought not be driving down country lanes ;) people don't always live up to the stereotype ;)

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I agree about single track roads and reversing. But do think that the person who has the blind bend behind them whether up or down hill, trailer or not, shouldn't be the one who is forced to reverse. Sounds like the road might need a passing place added there. But thats not always possible... little traffic light system if it's really bad.

Oh and the non-reversers I meet always seem to be older men. It's bloody painful. We have perfectly straight roads round here too and they still can't.