RIP Sir Roscoe

TwoPair

Visit site
I had Gaby on the phone to me in tears this morning. There are some wicked, wicked people around.
Gaby went on to Google because someone had told her there was a lovely picture of Roscoe at Belton. She went to find a stunning picture of her horse, and instead she found this. We were both in tears. It is a horrific situation for anyone, let alone a twenty one year old who has got her horse to that level herself. Roscoe had done a couple of Novice's when Gaby bought him. She is obviously a talented and sensitive and caring jockey to have got a horse so quirky to that level.
Gaby has asked me to post, she isn't sure what, but she wants something said.
He jumped the best he ever had on Saturday evening at home, and in the ring on Sunday. Gaby was so pleased with him. He had check up scans every time he ran and the vet was commenting only last week what a tough, sound horse he was. What happened was a freak accident. There was a strike mark on his boots, the poor boy only overreached. He could have done that at Badminton, or Tweseldown, or in the school, or in the field. There is nothing Gaby could have done. I can guarentee that the attention to detail on Gaby's yard, and to her horses, is second to none. They are all in impeccable condition, and loved as much as possible - whether they are owned by Gaby or an owner. At Tweseldown, you couldn't have said anything other than Roscoe loved his job, and that Gaby loved doing it with him.
To all the well wishers who have sent their condolences - thank you. Gaby and her parents appreciate it.
To the others - I hope you are happy.

Daffodil

Visit site
Facebook, Twitter and all these internet forums, including this one, have a lot to answer for. They have their uses, but equally they enable people with either an axe to grind, or who just like upsetting others, and with the benefit of anonymity, to voice their nasty opinions. Some of these posts on this thread had me close to tears and I had only discovered Gaby and her wonderful horse via the Badminton blog the other day.

To Gaby and all Roscoe's connections my deepest sympathy. RIP Roscoe. xx

PolarSkye

Visit site
EKW - the reason people are objecting so vehemently to your (IMO rather insensitive) commentary is because it is completely out of context. A tribute thread about the death of a horse - any horse, doing any discipline - is not the place for a rant on the injustices of public opinion about a particular discipline or sport. Yes, there is such a thing as freedom of speech - and, technically you can write what you want where you want - but there is also such a thing as empathy. If you were in a room with someone whose horse had just been euthanized from an injury sustained out hacking (for instance), would you respond with a rant about how unfair public opinion - or commentary in other places - is about racing? I would like to think you would keep your lip buttoned and just offer your condolences - because to do anything else is just mean, self-serving, unfeeling and totally unnecessary - and I'm afraid that's how you have come across on this thread.

You do, actually, have a point about how skewed public feeling can be about racing . . . but I'm afraid your message has been tainted by the way/place you have delivered it. First rule of marketing is "know your target market" . . . I think you forgot that HHO is populated by horse lovers first and foremost . . . regardless of discipline.

Personally, I think you the horse's owner an apology.

P

Last edited:

superpony

Visit site
I can't imagine how Gaby is feeling right now, RIP Sir Roscoe and thinking of Gaby and connections at this very difficult time. x

And what a horrible situation for some people to be so unsensitive. :( Alot of people are very outspoken when they can hide behind a computer screen.

georgiegirl

Visit site
Well done EKW hope you feel really pleased with yourself to have got your message out there.

Regardless of wether people have jumped on racing threads this was not the right time to say your little piece. I twas not on topic and completely out of context.

And for what its worth athough I dont call for racing to be banned or anything stupid like that it is of course worth remembering most event horses arent put down or sent to the meatman when they arent winning anything.......

I am absolutely gutted for Gaby and all her connections this poisonous thread has been allowed to go on so long and hasnt been pulled down.

I hope they remember Roscoe as the happy healthy fit lad he was having the time of his life out on the xc course. RIP lovely lad x

mrussell

Visit site
I have also reported this thread. I am appalled that an individual who has just suffered such a loss, whether it be racing;eventing;hacking or grazing, should be pulled across the coals for her actions in such a manner just to make a point.

I have already posted my thoughts on Gabys FB page. Anyone can go on there and post direct to Gaby if they feel that she is such an awfully misguided and selfish individual. So EKW, go ahead. I'm sure you and Gaby will have a lot to discuss, you know, person to person; real name to real name.

Visit site
I give up! Why do you all think I am having a go at the girl who lost her horse? I'm not! Not in the slightest! I am annoyed at the fact that racing is always the one that gets all the flack from members of this forum and yet when an eventer dies - ANY eventer, not just Sir Roscoe - it's not taken to account and be called upon to be banned.

kerilli

Visit site
well, obviously all our button-pushing came to nothing, and the damage has already been done, to exactly the person who least needed it. poor poor Gaby, as if she wasn't heartbroken enough already.
EKW (and amage and theredberri), you really should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves imho. absolutely wickedly cruel.
people like you give forums like this their undeservedly bad reputation. :( :( :(

and please don't give me that ****, you DID have a go, specifically, at her, questioning the wisdom of running him, the motives etc. you have a short memory re: what you wrote. despicable.

Hedwards

Visit site
I give up! Why do you all think I am having a go at the girl who lost her horse? I'm not! Not in the slightest! I am annoyed at the fact that racing is always the one that gets all the flack from members of this forum and yet when an eventer dies - ANY eventer, not just Sir Roscoe - it's not taken to account and be called upon to be banned.

I suggest you do give up - can you not see that this thread was neither the place and definitely NOT the time to vent your frustration that you feel there are double standards between racing and eventing. we all think you're having a go at the girl - as you decided to post on a thread recognising what a wonderful horse/rider combination they were as well as how tragic the accident was - go back and read your original post - you are very scathing about Gaby's preparation for the competition (incorrectly so IMO) - targeting her specifically.

Do you know what, there are bits about most equestrian sports i find distasteful - would i use a thread about the incredibly sad death of a horse in any single equestrian discipline to vent my frustration - No, its insensitive - you know the old two wrongs dont make a right - think its very fitting here!

Last edited:

JustMe22

Visit site
Even if you didn't 'have a go' at her - it is not the place to be posting insensitive commments, nor completely unrelated ones. The thread is about the passing of a well loved, talented horse, not about racing or what people's opinions on racing are. I wouldn't go on to a thread about dogs and start talking about chickens, for instance.

So sorry that she had to see the nasty comments. I hope she realises that these people are a small minority.

RIP Sir Roscoe. Thoughts and condolences are with all connections. :(

amy_b

Visit site
Please enlighten me as to what was insensitive, specific and cruel? And to whom they were aimed at?

I give up! Why do you all think I am having a go at the girl who lost her horse? I'm not!

because, you used her loss as an example. You have done no favours to racing in the mean time, you are just point scoring. Next time your horse is lost in a distressing situation let us no so we can point out every 'what if you had done this' and post them all on a public forum. you should be ashamed.

Im so sorry Gaby had to read that and she should know that posts like that are a minority of thoughtless people seeking out a reaction.

I have a diffucult horse and if I took into consideration every time he didnt want to do something or does want to do something he wouldn't leave his stable. I also know that in convincing him to do these things I have bonded with him like no other horse I have ever had and it is always the quirky ones that are talented.

I cant imagine the distress she is in and hope she knows that the majority of us are behind her. sleep well Sir Roscoe.

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
Dear forum members

We have spoken to Gaby this morning and she would like to thank those of you who have posted in support of her. She does not want this thread to be removed. We will be posting a news story containing the facts about Sir Roscoe's accident on the website shortly and Gaby intends to continue her weekly blog with us. I am sure you would all like to join me in wishing her all the best for the future.

I strongly suggest that the discussion about how horse deaths in racing are perceived compared to horse deaths in eventing is continued on a different thread.

HHO Admin

dafthoss

Visit site
RIP Sir Roscoe and my thoughts are with those that knew him especally Gabby.

What a shame that this thread had to be pulled down in such a way by certain posters :(.

peleowner

Visit site

But then again it wouldn't cost EKW anything to apologise and send some sympathy would it? You haven't just lost your horse yesterday.

Poor Gaby.My sincerest condolences go out to her and her parents both for the loss of the lovely Sir Roscoe and for having to survive this poisoinous thread. Best of luck, we are looking out for you next time out.

woodlandswow

Visit site
thank you kerilli and others who flagged this up to admin and TFC

i started this thread as i thought it was tragic that such a thing would happen to a 21 year old and her dream of going to badminton with the horse she obviously loved so dearly

i have NEVER slagged off anything about racing and the fact someone can come onto this thread and slagg off everything they have is the most insensitive thing i have seen for a long time. especially with no idea of the circumstances involved. i myself have never said eventing is not cruel.. BTW do you think the horses would love it so much if it was..

please start a new thread if you want to do that, i never indended this thread to deteriorate to what it has done.. imagine if gaby herself saw this

i am ashamed to say there will be others who see this as it is the first thing that comes up when Sir Roscoe is typed into google

what a shame.. would it be possible to remove the horrible posts?

aregona

Visit site
Such a tragic loss of a wonderful horse, i have no doubt in my mind of the care roscoe received throughout his career, my thoughts are with all concerned and wish Gaby all the best for the future, R.I.P Roscoe xxx

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
A sad loss for eventing, I'm very sorry for his connections but at the same time I'll stand with Amage and EKW too as contrary to some opinions, racing people do care although perhaps a different thread could have been used to express those opinions.
Any loss of a horse is devastating particularly if taking part in some sport for our benefit; the sooner people accept that all sports do their best but accidents do happen; it's how they are dealt with which is the priority not a call to ban that sport at all.

christine48

Visit site
I just hope EKW ( whoever they are ) gets banned from this forum. No one at any time mentioned racing and we are all horse lovers who hate to see the death of any horse.
Gaby obviously thought the world of this horse, had produced him from a young horse and given him care second to none.
Every one of us that own or ride competition horses pray that both horse and rider come back safe and sound. A few years ago one of ours over reached and struck into it's tendon, luckily ours survived.
We need to put this thread to bed now! RIP Sir Roscoe.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I have only just seen this thread, first and foremost I am very sorry to hear Gaby's heartbreaking news, my thoughts and best wishes are with her and the rest of the team who cared for Sir Roscoe.

Dear forum members

We have spoken to Gaby this morning and she would like to thank those of you who have posted in support of her. She does not want this thread to be removed. We will be posting a news story containing the facts about Sir Roscoe's accident on the website shortly and Gaby intends to continue her weekly blog with us. I am sure you would all like to join me in wishing her all the best for the future.

I strongly suggest that the discussion about how horse deaths in racing are perceived compared to horse deaths in eventing is continued on a different thread.

HHO Admin

Secondly, I would just like to join the MAJORITY of CR HHO-ers and say that the comments made by EKW in particular, but also encouraged by others, are completely out of order and SO disappointing and upsetting to read- I would like to ask Admin why their posts have not been removed (even if the thread itself can remain) as well as why EKW has not been banned? I can't begin to imagine how poor Gaby felt reading that, I am so angry on her behalf, but sadly that will not undo her hurt or further upset.

There is no need or room on this board (or any) for repeated malicious postings such as he/she posted. This type of thing is what makes me ashamed to be linked as part of the HHO community, which is sad, because I know that there are far more good people in the community than bad, yet this type of thing stands out and grabs attention far more easily. :(

Shame on you EKW. There is a time and a place, which even if you were too thick skulled to realise initially, you had plenty opportunity to do the decent thing- apologise and stop posting when numerous people with empathy pointed out your misplaced comments to you. :mad:

PolarSkye

Visit site

1) You made some very specific statements about your view of the owner/rider's pre-event preparation . . . and I (and possibly some people on here including the owner/rider) construed that as criticism and blame, i.e., "having a go"

2) You drew a direct parallel between THIS unfortunate (and sadly fatal) accident and the death of all racehorses . . . which is a little like comparing apples and oranges . . . the disciplines, preparation and practices are very different . . . even the way they are produced . . . it's irrelevant

FWIW, I can see why you feel the way you do - of course connections feel the pain when they travel home with an empty horse box . . . but you'll make no headway in changing the wider perception of racing folk if you continue to communicate the way you have on this thread. No horsey passtime is immune from public scrutiny and calls for banning due to cruelty - just check out some of the tribute videos on YouTube . . . dressage, showjumping, eventing, driving, reining, showing - all get their fair share of flack from people outside their particular sport (or sometimes in it). Racing is more "exposed" than any other equestrian sport - which is why it gets more flack, but if you want to change public perception then ranting on a thread like this and putting people's backs up (which you have very clearly done) isn't the way to go about it.

Lastly, there are very good reasons why racing gets the flack it does . . . and rather than raving about the injustice, insiders would do well to try and educate the wider public (without being shouty about it) and clean up their image.

Fact One - there is simply more general media devoted to racing - it's in our newspapers every day, on telly once or twice a week (unless you have Sky - in which case you can watch it every day) - can't say the same thing about any other equestrian sport

Fact Two - what many people find distasteful about racing is the gambling - the idea that people spend (and sometimes make) money speculating on which horse will get round first in a race in which horses may die upsets people

Fact Three - right or wrong, because of its breeding practices, the racing industry has a reputation of viewing horses as "disposable" . . . too many youngsters being bred in a scattershot way and then sent for meat when they don't make the grade (or breaking down early b/c they were backed too young, etc.)

The reason people don't generally call for eventing to be banned when a horse dies is because eventing doesn't have the same reputation as racing. This is a fact. Railing against this is futile unless you (the racing industry as a whole) is prepared to a) educate; and b) make some radical changes.

However, if you really wanted an answer to your question, you'd have been far better off starting a less inflammatory-worded discussion in SB - not hijacking someone's grief.

It's all about context.

P

H-J

www.piczo.com
Neither were the threads for the demise of the horses who lost their life at Meydan, Cheltenham, Aintree and every other race meeting. Yet the sport has been ripped to shreds.

I have not layed into eventing. I have not layed into people that event themselves. I am having a rant at the plain and simple double standards of this forum.

Maybe you could you start a new thread discussing this?

RIP Roscoe :(

PolarSkye

Visit site
Dear forum members

HHO Admin

Admin - I'm sorry - I didn't read this before I just posted. Will shut up now. Thank you.

P

Charem

Visit site
RIP Sir Roscoe, huge condolences to Gabby.

I'm saddened to see this thread turned in to a bit of a slagging match at times. Having worked in both eventing and racing as a groom I can hand on heart say that when a horse is lost in either sphere everyone involved is heartbroken.

amyneave

Visit site
I was at belton yesterday and they looked to be going so well. I heard that he had been pulled up lame, but I hadn't realised how serious it was until I saw what had happened on twitter later in the day. :(
R.I.P Sir Roscoe

Vixen Van Debz

Visit site
Condolences to Gaby on the loss of a horse she clearly adored and worked so hard with. No one can take away the memories or achievements you share. If she can do it with Roscoe, she can undoubtedly develop other horses to 4* level too when she feels ready to restart the climb. I'm also delighted to hear that she's staying on as an online blogger.

(Thanks to HHO Admin for being a voice of reason here too).

brushingboots

Visit site
Was so sorry to hear about Sir Roscoe, was very much enjoying reading her blog on H&H, and looking forward to reading more, now it is becoming a 'regular'.

Huge condolences and thoughts with Gaby, at the loss of such a super horse, who she had evidently built up such a super partnership with

Noseyparker

Visit site
Your missing my point entirely! Random fluffy bunny huggers jump on the racing threads. Why can't a random jump on an eventing thread? Or a dressage thread? Or a show jumping thread? Or an endurance thread? Do we all have to be completely exclusive and only speak to our own?

Not all race yards are as 'reputable' as you make out the one you work on is.