RIP

Goldenstar

Visit site
My favourite brown boots .
I don't know how many hours I spent in you but it's thousands .
You must have known I ordered new ones last week as both your back zips quietly died out hacking to today.
I feel very sad you have gone .

Does any one feel sad when a favourite thing reaches the end .
I will now have to put them in the bin .

kamili

Visit site
I'm coming to that point with my trusty ariats I think. I love them to bits and wear them every day almost. Every time I'm in a saddle anyway. Dreading their demise!

Can you bring them to a cobbler and have them repaired?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I do know the feeling I get very attached to certain items of clothing and foot wear, I had a lovely pair of quilted trousers for winter riding I think I had them for about 15 years they literally fell of me last year the insides had just worn away:( I have only just binned them they were sat in my horse clothing cupboard in the back kitchen I didn't have the heart to throw them away last year it's silly isn't it its only clothing.

Archangel

Visit site
I had a blue cotton cardigan/jacket/slouching thing, it was the most perfect blue, perfect weight, perfect loose fit.
I carried on wearing it when it was way past its best.

It has retired to the rag bag now and every time I see it I want to wear it again.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I turned my last pair of trusty bromonts into the base for a bag I was making. The leather, being soft enough to sew and waxed, was the perfect material for a handbag that stands up (rather than a slouchy one). I thought that was a fitting end for them. Plus I love a bit of cheeky recycling.

kamili

Visit site
It has retired to the rag bag now and every time I see it I want to wear it again.

there is nothing wrong with that, no really :p

I turned my last pair of trusty bromonts into the base for a bag I was making. The leather, being soft enough to sew and waxed, was the perfect material for a handbag that stands up (rather than a slouchy one). I thought that was a fitting end for them. Plus I love a bit of cheeky recycling.

Oooh maybe I will try that with mine!

Jennie951

Visit site
I've had a pair of Ariat (I think Grasmere???) boots for years now and they seem to have outlived everyone else's on my yard, but now they're beginning to slouch and I think it's definitely time for a new pair. :(

_GG_

Visit site
I have too many things like this. I'm terrible for it. I have my lovely Ariat wellies that have so many huge cracks in them now that I am still wearing them, but if there's any water nearby, they practically drink it in. That said, they, along with my last two pairs of wellies, are about to be turned into herb planters. My Ariats will be housing Thyme and Rosemary and the others will be housing Mint, Sage, Parsley and Marjoram. If anyone local wants some marjoram, I have loads...it's taking over my driveway so come and help yourselves, lol.

View

Visit site
But it's not just clothing, is it?

Our favourite boots, gloves, cardigan, or whatever - it's part of our memories, so yes, we do feel sad when it's time to say goodbye.

OH gave me a watch in 1999. Just a really cheap one, with a cartoon cat on the face, but he thought it would appeal to me and he's right. The first day I wore it, I was offered a secondment to a different team - and an escape from a bullying boss. That £1.99 watch is still with me, and is too precious to risk - but it comes out on special occasions and exam days etc.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I struggle to put things in the bin. I have a box graveyard full of boots... Reins...all broken but loved!

noooo I love a good tidy up & clear out. Mind you, I've moved many, many times in the last few years so having to pack up and shift stuff that's beyond its sell by date does tend to concentrate the mind somewhat ;)

Goldenstar

Visit site
They are in the bin now I can see them poking out the bin bag.
It's really silly to be sentimental about things like this .
I threw away a night rug recently which I won at BE I always called it Jenny's rug even though she's been dead for years I was almost in tears .

Greylegs

Visit site
I felt the same way about my beloved Pikeur jods. They were a check pattern every day pair, and the jods of choice pretty much every time I rode. They finally met their end (and revealed mine!!!) when I was at that point when mounting when your leg is in mid air over the rear end of your horse. I heard a loud ripping sound, and as I landed in the saddle realised there was less fabric between my nether regions and the leather than was desirable!!! They split from the back of the waist band all the way round to the bottom of the zip ..... thank goodness I was wearing respectable underwear (my equally faithful big pants!!!!!).

Cue huge embarrassment for me and even huger hilarity for the friends I was about to ride out with ..... :)

..... and then, of course .... I had to get off again ...... oh, the shame .....

scats

Visit site
I felt the same way about my beloved Pikeur jods. They were a check pattern every day pair, and the jods of choice pretty much every time I rode. They finally met their end (and revealed mine!!!) when I was at that point when mounting when your leg is in mid air over the rear end of your horse. I heard a loud ripping sound, and as I landed in the saddle realised there was less fabric between my nether regions and the leather than was desirable!!! They split from the back of the waist band all the way round to the bottom of the zip ..... thank goodness I was wearing respectable underwear (my equally faithful big pants!!!!!).

Cue huge embarrassment for me and even huger hilarity for the friends I was about to ride out with ..... :)

..... and then, of course .... I had to get off again ...... oh, the shame .....

This is fantastic!

Annagain

Visit site
I felt the same about Bertie Brush when he finally gave up the ghost last year. While Gary Gorilla Broom is slowly making his way into my affections, he'll never be Bertie.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I used to rely on my YO to gently inform me that it was time to throw away my boots/jods. You get used to putting on the same things week in week out. I sympathise GS.

Greylegs, that is too funny :D Happened to me once as a child but I didn't really care back then so just carried on regardless :eek:

Cobbytype

Visit site
I felt the same about Bertie Brush when he finally gave up the ghost last year. While Gary Gorilla Broom is slowly making his way into my affections, he'll never be Bertie.

:) There, there me dear, poor Bertie hasn't gone... he's but sweeping the stars and de-cobwebbing the clouds. And in time Gary will sweep you off your feet, so dry your tears.

Widgeon

Visit site
I'm coming to that point with my trusty ariats I think. I love them to bits and wear them every day almost. Every time I'm in a saddle anyway. Dreading their demise!

Can you bring them to a cobbler and have them repaired?

I second that - don't accept the inevitable! I have a pair of leather (not riding) boots that I have had for years and every time something wears out I take them to the cobbler....honestly by now I could have bought a fancy new pair with the money I've spent, but I don't care because I LOVE them and they are MY boots.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Personally I'm quite hard like that I think!
My daughter had a pair of Tredstep boots for years, the only things I have known her polish and love.... they died. Both zips and she caught one by the laces out hunting and ripped the leather. Only slightly but a combination of all and age rendered them uneconomical to fix.....
they stand in the tack room with trees in (falling down/no zips😂)
She likes to look at them, I have no idea how long this will go on for and when I will be allowed to throw them out but apparently it's too soon (about a year on!!)

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I've had my aigle wellies for 15 years and this year they've finally died, they've got a small split down by the toe and they started to let in water!! I'm sooo gutted, I cannot bring myself to buy any new ones as I've read that they don't make them like they used to!! so I have approx. 6 months to decide on what I'm going to replace them with!!!!!! :'( I'm still going to keep them and only wear them when its not wet! so on frosty or dry cold days! even after 15 years they are still the most comfortable boots ever! I could easy walk 10 miles in them with no issues!

Equi

Visit site
My first ever show boots have massive holes either side of the toe bend but I'm not giving up on them yet, I still wear them every day! I even have new boots and had to break them in but still reach for my old reliables.

Annagain

Visit site
I've had my aigle wellies for 15 years and this year they've finally died, they've got a small split down by the toe and they started to let in water!! I'm sooo gutted, I cannot bring myself to buy any new ones as I've read that they don't make them like they used to!! so I have approx. 6 months to decide on what I'm going to replace them with!!!!!! :'( I'm still going to keep them and only wear them when its not wet! so on frosty or dry cold days! even after 15 years they are still the most comfortable boots ever! I could easy walk 10 miles in them with no issues!

My Aigles are 5 years old so it's good to know I've got a good 10 years left! From what I've read, Aigles are the only ones that ARE as good as they used to be. Not tested that out myself though.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
My Aigles are 5 years old so it's good to know I've got a good 10 years left! From what I've read, Aigles are the only ones that ARE as good as they used to be. Not tested that out myself though.

oh awesome, maybe I shall re-invest this year. Worked out that they ended up costing me £8 per year as they were £120 15 years ago, so that's not too bad in the grand scheme of things!! glad to hear that yours have lasted 5 years and still going strong! do you have the neoprene ones too?

Nici

Visit site
I also had these lovely, elegant Aigle boots! They were stunning. There are still a few "écuyer" models sold online, but it's hard to find the right size.

SEL

Visit site
I had a pair of Ariat boots that travelled the world with me. I was devastated when they finally died - lots of memories with those boots.

Ormsweird

Visit site
My faithful ariat yard boots are dying, the stitching is going on the same place on both of them. But I will not give them up until I have wet feet! They have seen me through a couple of years of standing outside at work as well as all the chores on the yard.

I am however browsing for a new pair...