Rising Trot Diagonals

FlyingCircus

Visit site
Just curious, as I have only just learned of Germany rising differently to how we do in the UK...

Does anywhere else do this? Why?

I always thought you "rise and fall with the leg on the wall"...everywhere, haha.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Nope, loads of other countries do it the opposite way (and some don't rise at all - rising trot was known as "le trot Anglais" in France for generations). Really doesn't matter which, actually.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
The point mainly if I remember correctly from PC days, to diagonals is to make sure you don't always rise on the same one (which I do, without fail, naturally!) isn't it? So I don't think it matters to the horse which one you are on, as long as you change it regularly. Having a system like we do when schooling, makes it easier to keep it equal I suppose.

I had a neighbour who is a novice riding one of mine and I am sure she only rises on one diagonal as the mare is distinctly unbalanced when I ride her on the other one, she didn't used to be and improved the more I rode her instead of the novice. Not something I had really considered!

Last edited:

Alyth

Visit site
It depends on whether the diagonals are named for a foreleg or hind leg......when I started learning from Americans I was quite confused for a little while until I realised the diagonal they were talking about was actually the one I wanted, but they called it the 'wrong' name as they referred to the hind leg, not the foreleg!! And the reason is that the weight of the rider should sit when the inside hind is on the ground.....

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Interesting thread.

Do you get marked down in the intro classes of dressage for being on the "wrong" diagonal?

A lengthy discussion between judges on the BD forum concluded that no, providing the horses way of going was not compromised then wrong diagonals were not to be marked down. :)

Unaff/unlisted judges may have their own views ;)

Spring Feather

Visit site
It depends on whether the diagonals are named for a foreleg or hind leg......when I started learning from Americans I was quite confused for a little while until I realised the diagonal they were talking about was actually the one I wanted, but they called it the 'wrong' name as they referred to the hind leg, not the foreleg!! And the reason is that the weight of the rider should sit when the inside hind is on the ground.....

What was the name you heard it called? Our diagonals over here are exactly the same as yours. I'm curious now :) Incidentally we do get marked down in local classes if riding on the wrong diagonal. At national or international level no we are not marked down.

Alyth

Visit site
What was the name you heard it called? Our diagonals over here are exactly the same as yours. I'm curious now :) Incidentally we do get marked down in local classes if riding on the wrong diagonal. At national or international level no we are not marked down.[/QUOTE

When we were on what I call the left diagonal.....ie sit on left fore/right hind .....the instructor called it the right diagonal .....right hind/left fore!!

cob&onion

Visit site
I do alot of hacking and its really easy to forget and just do diagonals on one side only, does anyone else have a side thats preferable?! :p I have to remind myself to change regular!

ShadowFlame

Visit site
I've had riding instructors in the past that completely contradict each other in terms of diagonals. Rise when the inside shoulder is forwards, rise when the outside shoulder is forwards, it doesn't matter so don't worry about it.

I gave up the end!!

DuckToller

Visit site
I was always taught by old fashioned army type instructor that when riding in an arena you should be sitting as the inside hind hits the ground to help balance the horse, as it is easier for him to carry you that way.

Was also taught to change diagonal on a hack at every lamp post (not much use in a rural environment!) to ensure you don't get into the habit of rising on the same pair of legs every time and building up unequal muscle.

As an instructor, I can spot a 'wrong' diagonal from a mile away, and it drives me mad, but I have trouble explaining it to people as I can feel it so easily and can't believe some people have trouble with telling which one they are on - my own daughter was hopeless for years, bumbling about on any old diagonal bless her - aaargh.

She's fine now, I hasten to add :)

Foxyt

Visit site
Really interesting thread, I don't know the rhyme but have an 8 year old daughter who is learning diagonals, can some one tell me the rhyme for her. I also never knew a rhyme for and arena just the order, the kids love using a rhyme to remember the arena.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
A really good one to make a horse really supple is change diagonal every two or four strides while on the wrong bend up the long side or across the diagonal brilliant for making them straighter.

PiebaldRosie

Visit site
Nope, loads of other countries do it the opposite way (and some don't rise at all - rising trot was known as "le trot Anglais" in France for generations). Really doesn't matter which, actually.

How interesting!! When I was living in France last year I spent the majority of my lessons being shouted at and couldn't work out why- diagonal was "correct" :p, as was position (mostly..) Now I know! Hilarious :D

*sprinkles*

Visit site
I've had riding instructors in the past that completely contradict each other in terms of diagonals.

Me too. I was taught a few times by a Russian RI and he told me to ride on the opposite diagonal to my American RI :confused: very confusing ..... So I guess, to answer the OP's question it is different in some countries?!

its_noodles

Visit site
thats right. they do it differently in mainland europe.
the funny thing is that i never get it...
i change my rising when the instructor says "have u check ur diagonal"...
:eek:

TandD

Visit site
thats right. they do it differently in mainland europe.
the funny thing is that i never get it...
i change my rising when the instructor says "have u check ur diagonal"...
:eek:

i use to do this!
then my trainer realised what i did
so she would go 'have you checked your diagonal....im not saying its wrong...im just saying check it!!!!!'

Tobiano

Visit site
I have real trouble going on the correct diagonal on the left rein. I have worked out that I ALWAYS begin rising on the same diagonal which ever rein I am on, so that on the left I always have to change. So I try thinking 'I will sit for one more beat' before beginning to rise but it still doesnt work! Most annoying!

its_noodles

Visit site
i use to do this!
then my trainer realised what i did
so she would go 'have you checked your diagonal....im not saying its wrong...im just saying check it!!!!!'

hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa
she said that as well... :eek:
well, i change it anyway as i know i have 50-50 chance of getting it right (or wrong)...

monkeybum13

Visit site
A lengthy discussion between judges on the BD forum concluded that no, providing the horses way of going was not compromised then wrong diagonals were not to be marked down. :)

Unaff/unlisted judges may have their own views ;)

Ditto this. I do a lot of writing, a comment may be made but marks will not be deducted just for riding on the wrong diagonal.

JLav

Visit site
As there is technically no such thing as a 'correct' or 'incorrect' diagonal it should not ever be commented on or marked down in Dressage.

JLav

Visit site
As there is technically no such thing as a 'correct' or 'incorrect' diagonal it should never be commented on or marked down in Dressage.