Roll up! Roll up!! Get the answer you're looking for RIGHT here. NO problem too big..

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Or too small...
No need to bother with 'experts' that might not tell you what you want to hear, or, God forbid, charge you for the priviledge of their many many years of experience. I have an innate understanding of exactly what you need to hear to assuage any creeping feeling of doubt or guilt.

Here's a question I received earlier;

"Dear PF,
I've got a 20 year-old mare whom I've owned for 16 years. She's jumped grade A and produced several wonderful foals. I now think she's getting on a bit; a bit creaky and her supplements cost a bomb. I don't want to have to fork out for her to end her days peacefully in a field, loved and pampered, rewarded for many years of service. Can I sell her on as a broodie? I think someone can squeeze a couple of foals out of her and then I can make a bit of money on her and not have to be out of pocket for her retirement.

I'manidiot"

Dear I'manidiot
Yes, of course you should sell her on. There is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't make a few bob after all the money you've spent on her over the years. Vaccinations, shoes, worming, hay/feed, rugs, tack... all add up over the years and if she ends up with someone who doesn't want to fork out for veteran care and she ends up in neglected, abused or starved and she gets traced back to you, you can always write a book about what a wonderful horse she was and how you love her so much.
Result!!

Another letter from a concerned onwer;

"Dear PF,
My 17hh gelding has recurrent lameness issues, in fact he hasn't been sound for over a year. The vet says he should have scans, but I haven't got insurance and can't afford it. Also he's getting thin and I I'm a bit worried about my feed bill over the winter. What can I do? I don't want to sell him as he's lame, can he go as a companion?

Shouldn'townahorse"

Dear Should'ntownahorse
Yes, of course he can. No matter that small, young ponies that live on air are going for pennies at market, SOMEONE will want to take on your huge poor-doer as a companion and won't mind paying for the extra feed and rugs he'll need coming into winter. I know some people will tell you that some unscrupulous people will bute him up and sell him on before you even have time to blow your nose and wipe that single tear off your cheek, but don't listen to them. That hardly EVER happens.

One more;

"Dear PF
My mare rushes fences with her head in the air. The fences are about 20cms. She's been like this for 4 years (was like this with her previous owner) and her only speed is warp. What can I do to slow her down? Can I use draw-reins? I've been riding for 2 weeks and can almost do rising trot.

Speeddemon"

Dear Speeddemon
Yes, definitely use draw reins and also the strongest bit you can find; a pelham with just one rein (bottom ring!) should do the trick. If you can put it on upside down, it's even more effective. Don't forget to strap her mouth shut with a flash or grakle, fitted just above the nostrils and use a standing martingale. Attach the martingale to the flash (bottom strap) for maximum effect.

Last one for now;

"Dear PF,
I've got a 15 year-old mare who is unsound and dangerous. Her previous owner was a very experienced rider who had taken her on as a project she but gave up when the mare bolted into traffic and threw her into the path of a car, breaking both legs, 4 ribs, her collarbone and sustaining a hairline fracture of the skull. She has to be stabled because she jumps out of every field she's in and is costing me a fortune in fence repairs and boredom toys. She's got no papers and has never so much as caught a glimpse of a showground but she can obviously jump, right? Should I breed from her?

WTFamIthinking"

Dear WTFamIthinking,
Yes! Definitely breed from her. I'm sure you could make a few bob from a foal. Since she's not got any papers herself, I wouldn't bother getting a registered stallion. Just get a coloured stally as coloureds are very popular at the moment!! I know established breeders are struggling to sell beautiful, well-mannered, papered youngstock at the moment, but clearly your mare is SUPER talented and you'll sell the foal easily. Don't worry about her temperament; anyone who knows about horses will overlook the 'quirkiness' in favour of the super-talent your foal will inevitably have, and he might not inherit the soundness issues, so I wouldn't worry about that either.
Also, although breeding CAN be expensive, if you find a young, unregistered stallion it'll cost almost nothing at all and there's no need for scans or the vet during pregnancy or foaling; She'll pop it out no worries at all.

Anyone wanting advice need only ask :) Satisfaction guaranteed

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
My yearling is now 16months old. Is it too young to back her? She's quite chunky and has 4 legs so I think she's quite stable? xx

Dear Flamehead
As she has 4 legs and they're quite chunky, it'll be absolutely fine for you to back her. Just keep the riding to about an hour at a time and don't gallop for more than half an hour at a time. In a month or so you can start jumping her. Don't bother with ground poles, just whack the poles RIGHT up; makes them careful!!

Cedars

Visit site
I was thinking I'd teach her to jump over barrels anyway, maybe fill them with water and stack them two high, so if she hits them she'll learn for next time. Gutted as I wanted to ride for 3 hours a day though =[

dozzie

Visit site
Dear PF,
I've got a 20 year-old gelding whom I've owned for 16 years. He's jumped grade A and produced several wonderful rosettes. I now think he's getting on a bit; a bit creaky and his supplements cost a bomb. I don't want to have to fork out for him to end his days peacefully in a field, loved and pampered, rewarded for many years of service. Can I sell him on as a broodie? I think someone can squeeze a couple of foals out of him and then I can make a bit of money on him and not have to be out of pocket for his retirement.

Imabiggeridiot

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I was thinking I'd teach her to jump over barrels anyway, maybe fill them with water and stack them two high, so if she hits them she'll learn for next time. Gutted as I wanted to ride for 3 hours a day though =[
Good idea! Well done. 3hrs will be fine. Use a carrot stick if she gets tired and don't forget to whack her in the face with her headcollar clip. Good luck!!

JenJ

Visit site
Dear PF,
I've got a 20 year-old gelding whom I've owned for 16 years. He's jumped grade A and produced several wonderful rosettes. I now think he's getting on a bit; a bit creaky and his supplements cost a bomb. I don't want to have to fork out for him to end his days peacefully in a field, loved and pampered, rewarded for many years of service. Can I sell him on as a broodie? I think someone can squeeze a couple of foals out of him and then I can make a bit of money on him and not have to be out of pocket for his retirement.

Imabiggeridiot

:D
:D

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
Dear PF

I az a very good jumpin ponio dat iz very very fast! she winz everyfink she doez (wen i dnt fall off) but i wantz er to slo dwn coz she makez my mazcara run in2 my loose blonde air ! ive tried bouncin on er back to slo er down but she buckz me off, ive got a duch gag in on da last ring and she az er mouf clamped shut wiv a grackle.. i fink itz ok do coz it is a jhon whitttttttakkkkkker 1... but she still goez 2 fast!

plz elp

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

stoopidilchavchild

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Dear PF,

Imabiggeridiot
That might work. OR you could shave a few years off his age, bute him up and sell him on to a novice home as a schoolmaster.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Dear PF, I have an old retired TB mare that I use as a companion. I have been told that she's taking advantage of me, should I;

1. put her in foal despite the fact that her last foal was PTS due to health problems?

2. re-back her as she apparently was a fab jumper when she raced (National Hunt) years ago? I was told that she rears vertically when ridden so should I hobble all her legs together and will she still be able to jump in hobbles?

Cedars

Visit site
CC is the head the part that poo comes out of? Or is it something else? Oh god am I the only one who's horse doesnt have a head?!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Dear PF,

Imabiggeridiot

*is howling with laughter*

Dear Imabiggeridiot

Tell you what, you get him in foal and I'll give you £15K for him. Please can you forward tapes of phone conversations with stallion owners to me to prove you are genuine. Video of the coverings would also be useful.

YS

etc

Toast

Visit site
Dear PF,
Im not sure if what im feeding my HW cob is right. He is 14hh and the weigh tape says hes around 750kg which is ok i think? I feed him 3 scoops of conditioning mix in each feed but I also feed him flapjacks as i hear oats are good for energy which he doesnt have much of. I figured flapjacks are tastier than just plain oats.
Also PF, he does this strange thing quite often, he leans back a lot onto his back feet, like he wants to sit down. Its quite funny to watch but im sure it cant be good for his back, perhaps its because his feet curl upwards do you think? maybe he's admiring his toes, they do look nice now theyre all curly. Do all horses do this?
Thanks!

JenJ

Visit site
Dear PF,

I've been pony trekking a few times recently, and as I have a big garden, thought I might buy myself a horse. I want something that looks impressive, so should I buy a ex-racehorse (one that has won lots) or a Grade A showjumper? I'm not interested in those cart horse types you see around.

Also, I don't really want hoofprints on the lawn, so can I leave it in the shed and just pick some grass to feed it?

And how do I put the shoes on?

Lotstolearn

Three

Visit site
Dear PF,

Am I the only one who can't resist a foal?? I bought one at the NF sales earlier this year but I've been worried that it's loney with only the chickens for company.

My friend has a friend who is selling a foal, it's sooooo cute!! It's home bred and the mare has won several rosettes at local competitions so is expected to do big things. I have room in the garden - we have almost an acre! - and I think it will make a nice friend for my baby.

The thing is I've never had a horse before so am worried that as this new one will be so good it might be too much for me when I break it in?

Will it be easier with two cos they can learn watching each other so should I go for it?

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Dear PF

I az a very good jumpin ponio dat iz very very fast! she winz everyfink she doez (wen i dnt fall off) but i wantz er to slo dwn coz she makez my mazcara run in2 my loose blonde air ! ive tried bouncin on er back to slo er down but she buckz me off, ive got a duch gag in on da last ring and she az er mouf clamped shut wiv a grackle.. i fink itz ok do coz it is a jhon whitttttttakkkkkker 1... but she still goez 2 fast!

plz elp

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

stoopidilchavchild

Dear stoopidilchavchild

u cnt stp bicoz u frgot ur stnding mrting gale!! Iniittttt!!?? u wnt ur hair 2 sty nice? u need mre herspriy nd dnt wear a hat!!! if u fll of wn she buckssss thn u's a crap ridder, innittttt!! f'ing hold on titer!!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
Right, in that case, maybe you could help me with another problem:
I need the winning numbers for Euromillions on Friday :D:D:D:p
I could tell you, but first you have to buy my patented left-handed headcollar, lungerope and bananastick and also DVDs 1-10. THEN I will give you the winning numbers. Course if the numbers DON'T win it'll be because you didn't follow the DVDs exactly to the letter :) Good luck!

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Dear PF, why haven't you answered my question yet? Is it because I haven't bought your orange whip, rope halter and DVD set?

Edit, sorry , yellow whip/banana stick