RORs - just thinking out loud

TPO

Visit site
I know the vet will do this at a vetting but ask to see the horse walk and trot up and down, back up and turn tight circles crossing hinds over.

I'm not clued up to know if certain bloodlines are susceptible to neuro issues but that and neck issues seem to be coming to the fore with TBs and ex racers in particular

HeyMich

Visit site
I know the vet will do this at a vetting but ask to see the horse walk and trot up and down, back up and turn tight circles crossing hinds over.

I'm not clued up to know if certain bloodlines are susceptible to neuro issues but that and neck issues seem to be coming to the fore with TBs and ex racers in particular

Ooh, that's a great tip. I'll def ask to see them trotted up.

HeyMich

Visit site
How did you get on?

Morning! Got back late last night and my head was porridge, so I thought I'd sleep before updating you all.

Yes, the roadtrip went well. The horse was really lovely, a very kind and sensible mare. The yard was nice and the trainer seemed very honest and pragmatic. Son and I both rode, the mare was a bit unsure and unbalanced (which we were expecting) but willing and forward. The main thing was that the mare felt safe! I mounted (from a block, she stood like a statue) and then faffed with my stirrups and she didn't mind at all. We rode in the dark under floodlights, which apparently she hadn't done before, and it was very windy and she didn't seem fazed. Son had a bit of a zoomie when he put her up to canter (nerves/excitement from them both maybe) and he thoroughly enjoyed several laps o the school before coming back down to trot! Haha! Kids eh? The main thing was that he didn't look too small on her and actually managed to ride.

She's a total blank canvas and it's reflected in the price. Are we willing or able to put in the work she needs? That's the question. The million dollar (or several thousand pound) question. Ho hum...

We've decided to go and see another OTTB, one that has had a bit of retraining already, and compare. I'll keep you all informed/inundated with the intricate whirrings of my frazzled brain... Xx

HashRouge

Visit site
Morning! Got back late last night and my head was porridge, so I thought I'd sleep before updating you all.

Yes, the roadtrip went well. The horse was really lovely, a very kind and sensible mare. The yard was nice and the trainer seemed very honest and pragmatic. Son and I both rode, the mare was a bit unsure and unbalanced (which we were expecting) but willing and forward. The main thing was that the mare felt safe! I mounted (from a block, she stood like a statue) and then faffed with my stirrups and she didn't mind at all. We rode in the dark under floodlights, which apparently she hadn't done before, and it was very windy and she didn't seem fazed. Son had a bit of a zoomie when he put her up to canter (nerves/excitement from them both maybe) and he thoroughly enjoyed several laps o the school before coming back down to trot! Haha! Kids eh? The main thing was that he didn't look too small on her and actually managed to ride.

She's a total blank canvas and it's reflected in the price. Are we willing or able to put in the work she needs? That's the question. The million dollar (or several thousand pound) question. Ho hum...

We've decided to go and see another OTTB, one that has had a bit of retraining already, and compare. I'll keep you all informed/inundated with the intricate whirrings of my frazzled brain... Xx
This is so exciting! Keep us updated!

TPO

Visit site
Highfield Equestrian services seems to have a steady stream of ex racers thats they've done a bit of training with. Zero info about them other than seeing g their fb adverts.

I think they are >3hrs North of you though so not a short journey