Rugs - Neck or Not to Neck??

bluepegasus

Visit site
Which turnout rugs are best for saving manes? Neck or no neck? I've always thought neck would be better as smoother over the mane area but we necked last winter and lost loads of mane:rolleyes:. Just interested in opinions.... :)

Annagain

Visit site
I use necks as both mine are grey. I also use snuggy hoods, tail bags, pig oil and anything else that can help me keep them cleanish. Emphasis on the ish! One loses a bit of mane (not too bad) but the other doesn't.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I use removable necks, so they don't need it until the weather gets wet, also keeps the neck and mane cleaner. I have never had a problem with rubbing or loss of mane.

meleeka

Visit site
No necks here. I do have some spare full neck rugs if the weather is really awful but tend not to bother.

If they get warm under a full neck rug the hair will start to come out, but any rug might rub the hair if it’s not removed and repositioned at least daily.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I only use necks on turnout rugs. In the stable Chilli wears neckless rugs as her mane gets ruined too! Endless battle between keeping her clean and dry and not losing mane... I'm considering buying a turnout hood this winter!

huskydamage

Visit site
No necks. My pony has half a mane due to necks now its too damaged to fix. My horse came with half a mane too, from day one I have used no necks on her. She now has a perfect mane.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I use removable necks, so they don't need it until the weather gets wet, also keeps the neck and mane cleaner. I have never had a problem with rubbing or loss of mane.
same here. I find there's a tiny bit of main loss on some horses around the wither - stable rugs and turnout rugs are in contact with the same area after all. But nothing more than half a plait or so.

ihatework

Visit site
I’ll use necks strategically but definitely not all the time. They, IMO, can really impact the horse overheating if not careful. So worst of weather mostly. Or a very lightweight one for the convenience of keeping clean a required.

chaps89

Visit site
When I had my old boy who benefited from being rugged, I had a removable no fill neck (I'm very sad my mum lost it as Weatherbeeta don't do them anymore :( ) that just swapped between rugs as necessary, for a bit of extra protection against the weather and the mud!
I didn't find it did too much damage to his mane compared to horses I saw wearing fixed necks.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
I use necks as both mine are grey. I also use snuggy hoods, tail bags, pig oil and anything else that can help me keep them cleanish. Emphasis on the ish! One loses a bit of mane (not too bad) but the other doesn't.

Hahaha I know I would use anything available if I owned a grey!!

Fiona

Visit site
Which turnout rugs are best for saving manes? Neck or no neck? I've always thought neck would be better as smoother over the mane area but we necked last winter and lost loads of mane:rolleyes:. Just interested in opinions.... :)

In my opinion, separate rug/neck cover is better than a combo rug for saving the mane.

Also only use the neck cover when its really needed.

Also lots of mane and tail spray to make the mane slippery.

I use PE rugs over the winter, and my two native ponies (one welsh, one connie) lose little to no mane at all.

Fiona

Sail_away

Visit site
I own a grey who delights in covering himself and his mane in mud so he gets a neck. I find it doesn’t do any damage providing I spray conditioner on the mane to make it silky - reduces friction and therefore rubs.

alexomahony

Visit site
Never neck and the manes stay! take me two years of no necking my welsh to get his full mane back! Mane connie has a really slickly mane so doesn't tend to rub - he'll have a neck if he seems particularly cold.

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'd love necks on my rugs, they look so cosy H used to have a really nice one!

He then decided the velcro on the neck was terrifying and would go all weird when it was put on (hes Welsh D!)

He always looks miserable when his neck is all wet as well!

eggs

Visit site
I use the PE removable neck covers on the Rambo turnouts. Only use them when necessary and never at night. Not had a problem with losing manes.

The Trooper

Visit site
I like rugs with removable necks so it gives me the option, I do have a couple of fixed neck rugs and they are fine as well, I tend to just use what I have accumulated of the lasted few years. If i was buying new it would be removable neck every time.

I don't show, I don't mind if manes are impacted by the rugs as the horses are clipped and ridden regularly and the pros out-weight the cons imho

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I have removable necks too. Only use them outside when it is raining as a rule.

I do have a neck for the night rug, but it would have to be minus 10 or so to use it!

oldie48

Visit site
I have a mixture of fixed neck stables rugs, removeable neck turnouts and no neck fillers. None of them have rubbed but I used a slightly too big fly sheet with attached neck of Bisto's on her and it rubbed although it never rubbed him so I think it's about getting the right size and make for the horse so it fits really well.

Green Bean

Visit site
My three thicknesses rug are all combo. I only have a lightweight with no neck for when it may be a little chilly or a bit of rain forecast. Stable rugs have no eves except the heavyweight which a detachable neck. I can’t handle mud so horse goes out all covered. Hasn’t affected her mane in the slightest

Nudibranch

Visit site
No necks round here; Fell and Dales manes would be ruined.

When I had WBs and TBs I always found half necks very useful for minimising mane damage, although they're harder to find and I still wouldn't use them on show beasts.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I don't know why more companies don't do half necks. Far better than full necks imo. Less damage to manes and they don't seem to pull back over the shoulder as much if horse has slightly narrower front.