Rugs with liner systems

alishaarrr

Visit site
Looking at new rugs and contemplating a 0g and 250g plus a 100g liner to give additional options. I like the idea of being able to throw the liner in the wash when it gets sweaty and dirty, but have a few usage questions:

For those who use liners regularly, do you find doing up two separate sets of chest and belly straps a bit too fiddly on a day-to-day basis?

When you're consistently using a rug+liner, do you typically leave the liner attached to the rug when you take off and put on, or do you find you have to do them separately and then re-attach every time?

I've seen a lot of poor reviews on here for PE rugs, but was curious if the current line is any lighter when wet and better performing ... given all the bad reviews was wondering if they've improved them at all, as they've certainly got a lot of features they seem to be proud of.

MarvelVillis

Visit site
I use Horseware rugs and the liners and wouldn't use anything else now! The chest fastening of the liner is just a single velcro strap, and there are no belly straps, so it doesn't take any time at all to do both the liner and rug up. I tend to just leave the liner attached to the rug when I'm taking it on/off as the liner stays securely attached to the rug.

Kat

Visit site
I have a mix of PE and horsewear liners (they are virtually identical).

They aren't a faff, and they don't have belly straps so less faff than layering rugs.

I leave mine attached unless I want to leave it on and change the top rug in which case I only clip it to the filet string and don't attach them at the front.

I love the liner system but would recommend rather than get a 0g outer you get a 40g or 50g as they are much more waterproof.

holeymoley

Visit site
I love mine. I have the horseware ones. I have a 50g outer and then the liners. I’d go for the lightest outer you can find, that way you won’t be restricted. Liners are really easy to change. You just take the rug and liner off as a whole, no need to do individually.

Nevin's Run

Visit site
I have the Shires Tempest 4 seasons which comes with a 200g liner, and I bought a 100g too. I rarely use the 200 (usually just when I'm washing the 100!) but it's been really handy. The neck is detachable too so I can leave it off unless I really want to keep him clean (which admittedly has been most of this winter! But (touch wood) it's not rubbed his mane (yet!).). I use it as a rain sheet without a liner when it's mild, too. Brilliant combo.

I've bought another Tempest (I think) rug since so I can wash and swap outers occasionally and they all fit.

McFluff

Visit site
Another who uses Horsewear liners. They are easy to use, and I tend to leave mine in the outer (unless washing or changing weight). They don't have belly straps and just one chest strap, so easy to do with gloves on.

spacefaer

Visit site
I find them a brilliant concept and I'm very loyal to PE
I tried leaving the liner attached to the outer rug but found it cumbersome to put back on the horse. Having said that, my rugs are 7'3 so there is a vast amount of rug ??
I have sold my liners and now just have different weight rugs instead

AFB

Visit site
I'm a PE fan and they are the only rug I've used a liner system with so can't compare to others.

I don't find it a faff at all, there's just the extra 2 straps to do up at the front but considering the outer rug is clip front anyway it's no slower doing up two velcros & two clips than it is doing up two buckles on a standard rug. I leave the liners attached and find they stay put fine but weight wise I only have a 6ft rug to deal with.

I have a 0 fill outer and a 200g outer plus a 100g liner so I'm covered for pretty much all eventualities.

P.forpony

Visit site
I love my rhino I have a 0g outer and its stayed completely waterproof out 24/7 in vile weather.
I have 2x100g liners so wash one wear one and a few heavier ones.
I got a 100g stable rug the other day and everything is interchangeable, just an airmax and a fleece liner to add to the collection now, and every combination will be possible! ?

rextherobber

Visit site
I have Bucas rugs and liners and Weatherbeeta ultra cozi rugs and liners, like them both, neither have belly straps. Weatherbeeta has clips to secure back of rug to leg strap D's .( Bucas aren't making the liner as such any more, the stable rugs are compatible, but then you do have multiple straps.) Bucas are loads lighter than other rugs, if that's a consideration - the Weatherbeeta is a fab rug, really is cosy, but is quite heavy, but no heavier wet than dry, as it doesn't really get wet, water beads off of it. Would recommend them both, and they wear very well and retain a good resale value if outgrown. Agree liner systems are the way to go, much more convenient, and must be more comfortable for the horse.

Fanatical

Visit site
Different view to most here (dons tin hat)!
I can see how they are a good concept, particularly if you only have a few horses (or less) to do, but when running a yard they are a pain tbh! I joke that liners and leg straps are the bane of my life!
Liners make rugs heavy (which is not great when you have a lot to do every day, twice a day), its hard to keep them aligned when they're attached and I always think they must be uncomfortable underneath if not straight.
Call me old fashioned but give me an under rug any day over a liner attached to a top rug.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I'll borrow the tin hat LOL! ;)

I have one of the first Rambo Duos and liners to go with it, plus a newer Rambo 100g outer with a liner. They are great rugs and the old Duo is still going strong after a couple of small repairs. However I actually prefer to use rugs without liners.

Unfortunately the old Duo is too big for CM without a liner in, so that one has to be used with liner (and fits her perfectly then). The newer 100g Rambo fits my grey without a liner and is OK with a 100g liner but would be too tight with a thicker liner.

One thing I will say is that I can tell that my newer one (outer and liner) was made after they moved Rambo production from Ireland to China. Still a great rug and I will buy Rambo again, just not quite the same level of finish as the oldie.

I have used a 0g Rhino with the 100g liner but the Rhino is doing its best to shed all of its straps. While it actually had 2 surcingles and was usable, the liner did not want to stay straight under that outer, when it is not too bad under the Rambo. :( I popped a light fill Amigo on that horse instead and what a relief - no wonky liner and no falling apart outer.

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I hate the liners as they make the rugs heavy. I do however have a gorgeous fal under rug with a waterproof belly flap. I leave that on him and change the over rug, so I’m never putting a cold rug on him. I have a light weight turn out, a medium weight and a heavy weight so all can go over the under rug but no slipping problems.

Pippity

Visit site
I have the Epic rugs from the Big Horse Shop. As with others, there are no separate belly straps, velcro straps across the chest, and they velcro to the outer rug at the neck and clip on at the fillet string. I leave the liner attached when taking it on and off.

However, I do find that a 100g+100g rug is a lot more awkward to handle than a 200g rug. In an ideal world, they'd also attach along the spine somehow - big velcro strip? velcro straps and loops? - but as it is the liner tends to flop loose from the outer and make it difficult to deal with.

I can definitely see the appeal, but it's not a system I'll be investing more money in.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I like the liner system too. I have the Rambo ones. It saves a lot of hassle sending rugs away to get washed as I just put the liners in the washing machine. I am tempted to get rid of all my other rugs and just keep the liners with a couple of out rugs.

I keep the liner attached all the time and don;t find it moves at all.

Fanatical

Visit site
I hate the liners as they make the rugs heavy. I do however have a gorgeous fal under rug with a waterproof belly flap. I leave that on him and change the over rug, so I’m never putting a cold rug on him. I have a light weight turn out, a medium weight and a heavy weight so all can go over the under rug but no slipping problems.

That's the other reason I don't like them which I forgot to put in my original post - it must be awful when they are fully clipped to have all rugs stripped off on a freezing cold morning and a cold rug put on. Like you, I 'd much rather leave an under rug on and just change the top rug.

wiglet

Visit site
I have a Rambo duo and use the Horseware liners for it. They're easy to fasten and don't move even after energetic rolling sessions!
I like the versatility of being able to change the weight of the rug quickly then if the liner becomes dirty, it can easily be cleaned by chucking it in the washing machine. At the end of winter, I always have my TO rugs cleaned professionally but with the liner system, it's just one rug (the outer) that needs sending away. Saves loads of money.

The downsides are:
You have to be pretty organised and watch the weather forecast so you know which weight is required - this year there's been a few mild days followed by a few freezing days so, lots of changes have been done.
I'm on part livery and the grooms have... not complained but mentioned that my rug take ages to put on and take off because of all the straps. Thats why I always change the liners myself - don't want the grooms having a meltdown!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
My old YO moaned about people using neck rugs, haha! he seemed to manage one extra strap for a liner. I don't use leg straps which probably helped in my favour ;)

re swapping to put a cold rug on, i personally find it easy to unclip the liner from the outer and leave it on if I want to, though tbh it's been so mild most of this winter that I haven't needed to so far.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I use them on shires and weatherbeeta rugs I only tend to use 100g liners as my rugs are either 50g or 100g, so it makes them thick enough for most weather and on mild days I use summer sheets under them, I really like them as the inside of the rugs don't get greasy or dirty and they have a nice clean layer on the skin.

Littlewills

Visit site
I use Rambo and the odd Amigo. I dont understand people who say liners are heavy. I've got a 450gm amigo varilayer rug and thats quite heavy, the 450gm liner is much lighter. Put together with a no fill turnout and its the same weight.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My two fully clipped ponies have Rhino no fills with 1,2 and 300gm liners. I certainly don’t find them heavy and they are very versatile not to mention easy to keep clean. I also have the HW stable rugs so can add a liner under the rug to increase weight if it’s colder. There is no way I would use anything else not only for ease of use but for being robust and totally waterproof.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
My two fully clipped ponies have Rhino no fills with 1,2 and 300gm liners. I certainly don’t find them heavy and they are very versatile not to mention easy to keep clean. I also have the HW stable rugs so can add a liner under the rug to increase weight if it’s colder. There is no way I would use anything else not only for ease of use but for being robust and totally waterproof.

I agree I don't find them heavy my 100g shires liners are lighter than a fleece rug, I have a 350g shires detachable neck turnout and that is really heavy.

McGrools

Visit site
I agree I don't find them heavy my 100g shires liners are lighter than a fleece rug, I have a 350g shires detachable neck turnout and that is really heavy.
Its the Premier Equine rugs that are really heavy, then with added liners , it makes rug changes on a big yard a total PITA! Especially when i’m short and the horses are big! I Would never buy a PE rug. ( not unless you are looking to build your upper body strength) lol!

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
I love my Duos! I have two which has worked out perfectly as the two of them have worn one each this year. The 100g outers have worked perfect for two hairies who needed a tiny bit more than light weights.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
I have a fal pro (when they were made by HW) 100g outer with 1,2 and 300g liners and it is great. I have 2 of each liner so I can wash regularly which is so much better. Not heavy at all and really easy to detach. Also the liners take up a lot less storage space than multiple turnouts