Sad day considering hanging up my boots!

windswoo

Visit site
I haven't ridden for three years and I'm a lot younger that yourself, I just realised last year that I hadn't ridden all through covid even though I could and didn't really miss it. I've still got the horses and I play around with them, but actually getting on - I have no real desire to do so. As others have said the roads just don't seem safe anymore and I don't think another fall would do my back any good.
It sounds like your set up means that you can ride without having to hack out if you don't want to, so just make sure your as safe as you can be and if you want to then go for it. However with what has happened to people very close to you, you are going to want to evaluate it and if you feel it is the right time to hang up your boots, then do so.
Thoughts for your friend after her accident and to you for the loss of your sister.

Finlib

Visit site
Just reading about JNB makes you realise how vulnerable we are.
Do you feel 'pressured' to ride, from others, because you have ride-able horses? Just enjoy and do what you want o do. S#d everyone else.
Not under pressure to ride really .Learnt to ride before I could walk third generation rider so always have ridden and been around horses but during the COVID lockdown elected not to as it was not the time to get injured .I found I didn't really miss it and was carrying on with free schooling and ground work with the occasional ride..These two events have just made me evaluate the risks and think is it time not to ride .I suppose I feel a bit guilty as they are all rideable sound with no health problems but I guess they won't mind and I'll just carry on with free work and groundwork and unmounted agility.

anguscat

Visit site
So sorry you have lost loved ones and in ways connected with your lifetime live of horses. I’m sure it’s possible to get much joy from an ‘on the ground’ relationship with a horse. Best wishes for finding your way through this sad period in your life, to something that’s right for you.

mhorses

Visit site
I haven’t much to add but just want to say I’m so sorry for what you have been through lately and I hope you get your horsey fix one way or another. Best wishes.

Borderreiver

Visit site
So very sorry for the loss of your sister and for your friend’s traumatic accident. I think we all understand your feelings.
I too keep my ponies at home on a smallholding. It’s just part of our world to look after them isn’t it, a daily rhythm? I’m sixty nine and haven’t ridden for a few years. But I did take up carriage driving and really love it. I’m lucky to have a quiet place to drive and it’s just as much fun as riding. Do what you enjoy and make your own rules I think.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I haven't ridden properly for many years now and although I like the idea of riding again, I don't think I actually want to. I have an old mare who is a no trouble sweetheart so just having her in the field seems to give me enough contact with horses without getting more involved. Not sure I physically could now anyway.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I have had to give up riding because of my accident and as I don’t own a horse I have now lost the only contact I had with them. If I could afford to I would give a home to a horse or pony in need of a non ridden home but as I don’t have land it wouldn’t be possible . Having horses for over 50 years i enjoyed the looking after, probably more than the riding and used to make myself ride regularly mainly to keep my horse fit, if I won the lottery and could buy a place with land I would have non ridden equines immediately and I would be tempted to learn to drive if there was somewhere off road to do it

Baywonder

Visit site
I am so sorry to hear about your sister and your friend. :(

I would just take each day as it comes, and carry on doing what you are comfortable with. You don't have to ride, and if you are happy enough keeping two feet on the ground and pottering around with your horses, then that sounds like a pretty good plan to me. :)

<<Hugs>>

Skib

sites.google.com
I have now lost the only contact I had with them.

Do you know a yard where you could talk to a horse or groom it?

Years ago and after I had helped out on a yard, I was told that if I ever wanted to groom a horse, I was welcome to come to that yard. But old age takes its toll. I dont really look forward to bending down to pick out the feet. My back hurts sometimes. And the lovely horse expects me to be as quick as the staff. She lifts each foot in turn and then puts it down again.

I found the solution yesterday. Instead of askng her to lift the same foot again, I went all the way round a second time. She was fine with that.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
I do have friends with horses but a tiny bit of contact is no replacement for a one to one relationship. I seem to be better keeping away and concentrating on my dogs, I’m pretty old so don’t really want to be grooming big competition horses as my injury was a bleed on the brain and it’s so easy to get knocked while doing normal stuff like picking feet out and I darent risk injury again, I might not be so lucky next time

GrassChop

Visit site
I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I couldn't begin to imagine how awful it must be for you.
I would say not to make any definite decisions, take it as it comes. Riding is a risk we all take no matter what our age, providing there isn't any added risk due to any health conditions, of course.