Saddle slipping

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
If
Looks like you did so it's probably unnecessary to say tha yes, if your saddle has issues then clinics are not a good idea and should be cancelled.

A saddle that suddenly starts slipping can#t be said to fit, full stop. If you have been working with a fitter, which everyone should do, then many are offering a basic remote fit check from photos. Definitely have it checked at least every 6 moths minimum going forwards, and yes, gaining weight can affect saddle fit badly. This extra pads will have been making it tip back more but proceed with caution and actually I would say not to ride with a grip pad against the skin, they can make some horses not only very uncomfortable at best but actually cause fascial damage.
you have read further up you would know we have sorted it now

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You should really get her a lameness workout from the vet. It can be a sign of hock spavin developing.

indie1282

Visit site
One of my horses is 15. In the 10 years that he has been in ridden work he has had 4 different saddles due to him changing shape. Just because a saddle fitted 10 years ago does not necessarily mean it still does now!

If you wont get a fitter then go on youtube and search Schleese Saddlery- they have some excellent videos that go through all the different stages of how to fit a saddle correctly.

Imo using too many saddlepads/half pads is not a good idea. A saddle should fit correctly with just a thin saddlepad underneath it.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
One of my horses is 15. In the 10 years that he has been in ridden work he has had 4 different saddles due to him changing shape. Just because a saddle fitted 10 years ago does not necessarily mean it still does now!

If you wont get a fitter then go on youtube and search Schleese Saddlery- they have some excellent videos that go through all the different stages of how to fit a saddle correctly.

Imo using too many saddlepads/half pads is not a good idea. A saddle should fit correctly with just a thin saddlepad underneath it.
As I've said about a million times the other saddle pads where added as she was in discomfort we only realised she had fat pockets yesterday her saddle fits perfectly fine without all the saddlepads so now we are just trying to find something

Sail_away

Visit site
As I've said about a million times the other saddle pads where added as she was in discomfort we only realised she had fat pockets yesterday her saddle fits perfectly fine without all the saddlepads so now we are just trying to find something
What’s she in discomfort from then? Lots of saddle pads may have made the unlevel-ness of the pony clearer but it will still be there even if the saddle does not slip now.
The pony needs a saddler because, as you say, the horse now has fat pockets. So the horse’s shape has changed, which means you need the saddler to adjust the saddle. It also needs a vet to discover why the pony is unlevel. I understand you’re only sharing so you’re not in a position to do either by yourself, but please do ask the owner. If they won’t, I would look for another share horse who you know will be sound and comfortable.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
What’s she in discomfort from then? Lots of saddle pads may have made the unlevel-ness of the pony clearer but it will still be there even if the saddle does not slip now.
The pony needs a saddler because, as you say, the horse now has fat pockets. So the horse’s shape has changed, which means you need the saddler to adjust the saddle. It also needs a vet to discover why the pony is unlevel. I understand you’re only sharing so you’re not in a position to do either by yourself, but please do ask the owner. If they won’t, I would look for another share horse who you know will be sound and comfortable.
it must have been the fat pockets putting pressure on her shes fine in herself tho

indie1282

Visit site

And as others including myself on this thread have said ' a million times' if your adding multiple pads for extra comfort then your saddle does not fit.

So the extra pads were because the horse was in discomfort? And the reason was that the horse has fat pads. And you and your YO have only just realised the horse has fat pads...

So...the horse is now to wide for the saddle as its put on weight - so currently this saddle does not fit!

Sorry but you sound pretty young and inexperienced. Your only asking what pad you can use so the saddle doesnt slip but it will keep slipping because it doesnt fit.

Sail_away

Visit site
it must have been the fat pockets putting pressure on her shes fine in herself tho
The horse has changed shape so it needs the saddler, it doesn’t matter if the saddle is slipping or not.
My horse has spent a month in box rest. He’s put on weight so we will be getting the saddler to have a look even though she came out just before lockdown.
Please ask the owner to at least get the saddler out. You’re not experienced enough to tell whether the saddle fits properly - few people are! That’s why it’s standard practise to get the saddler out every six months to check.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Fingers crossed the saddler and physio help you and the mare. The fact that is is slipping with both you, and her owner - suggests that is doesn't fit. They are the professionals (not your yard manager etc etc) so I'm sure they will be able to get it sorted for you.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site

But why was she in discomfort in the first place? If you need inches of padding between her back and the saddle for her to be comfortable then the saddle doesn't fit...

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Fingers crossed the saddler and physio help you and the mare. The fact that is is slipping with both you, and her owner - suggests that is doesn't fit. They are the professionals (not your yard manager etc etc) so I'm sure they will be able to get it sorted for you.
Ye the physio came today a did some work on her back so hopefully when i ride her in a few days she will be much better as she is quite wonky

Nasicus

Visit site
Well done getting the Physio out (and soon to be the saddler). The mare will be much happier to be ridden once she is comfortable and her saddle fits her correctly :)