Saddle slipping

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
You have posted in C&T about this and clarified that it slips to one side, if this is the same with both riders I would be getting another vet to look at her, putting an extra pad on for support to stop her bolting is not the answer I would expect from a vet, it is far more likely she is in discomfort and not working evenly which is why you and the saddle are being pushed over to one side, it may be something degenerative so is only now becoming clearer, the guidelines are now allowing non emergency visits with social distancing and the yard should be aware of that.

It could be as simple as the saddle needs readjusting but there is no quick fix that will allow you to continue riding.
I cant do anything

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Because i thought someone would have common sense and give me some actually helpful ideas instead of being unhelpful
but the common sense idea is to check the saddle fit out because that's the most likely problem (or it was, until you said the horse was so uncomfortable that it bolted, in which case it probably needs another vet visit).
i think you mean you won't cancel the lesson rather than you can't?

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
but the common sense idea is to check the saddle fit out because that's the most likely problem (or it was, until you said the horse was so uncomfortable that it bolted, in which case it probably needs another vet visit).
i think you mean you won't cancel the lesson rather than you can't?
The saddle fits perfectly fine the girth is done up tight i just dont get what the problem is because it's still, slipping

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The saddle fits perfectly fine the girth is done up tight i just dont get what the problem is because it's still, slipping
OK I am going to assume that you are a young rider because you mentioned your mum, and it doesn't sound like you are very experienced.
A well fitting saddle should not slip badly. it might move a bit, but a good saddler would be able to help you identify the best solution to keep it level on a very round horse.
the saddle either fits as it is, or it needs giant pads to stay put in which case it doesn't really fit. You really need to get someone in a position of responsibility to get involved and get this pony a saddle that fits properly.

bonny

Visit site
Could well be you that's the problem, get someone to watch you riding from behind and see if you are falling to one side. It’s a common problem and it would make the saddle slip

Reacher

Visit site
Horses change shape as they gain/ lose weight/muscle and need their saddle fit checking regularly (at least once a year) and adjusting. If it’s a flocked saddle the flocking can get compressed and need more flocking. If the owner says she has never had any problems, when did the owner last have the saddle fit checked by a qualified fitter and horse checked by a physio? Badly fitting saddles can do a lot of damage

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Horses change shape as they gain/ lose weight/muscle and need their saddle fit checking regularly (at least once a year) and adjusting. If the owner says she has never had any problems, when did the owner last have the horse checked by a physio? Badly fitting saddles can do a lot of damage
I don't know shes had the same saddle since she bought her when she was my age

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
maybe the saddle did once fit but the pony has changed condition or gained/lost topline. something must have changed if this is a new problem.
Ye the thing is it never happened when i rode in a half pad so im going to try some things today and if it doesn't work then ill try and speak to someone

Suby2

Visit site
I have a rotund cob and my saddle kept slipping - only to the right. I initially thought it was because I have a dodgy hip so maybe I was tilting to one side.
I had the saddler out who discovered that my cob is asymmetric and as he has a larger shoulder one side than the other this was pushing the saddle over.

ponynutz

Visit site
Sounds like you need a saddler out! I'm in a similar situation, because my horse changes shape very quickly (I made a post about it a couple of weeks ago). Because of Covid-19 I've continued to ride but only hacking, and also have been schooling bareback (which has been very good for my seat lol). Especially as you loan I'd talk to the owner and explain why you think a saddle fitting is a good idea :)

Don't really understand extra padding bit, assuming it's for muscle atrophy? Or is it just an ill-fitting saddle?

scats

Visit site
Hi OP, it might actually be you that’s causing the issue. I say this because I had a major problem with my saddle slipping to the right, no matter what I did. Then I rode another horse and had the same problem. Alarm bells started going! I went to a chiro and I was wonky. I thought I was straight but when the chiro stood me in the mirror, my shoulders were level but my pelvis had tilted. Chiro sorted me out and problem solved.
However if I don’t keep going regularly, I notice the saddle slipping again.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Update-ive just come back from a hack and wr think the problem was to many saddle pads as we just used the grip saddle pad and th saddle didnt slip

awelshandawarmblood

Visit site
I have a rotund cob and my saddle kept slipping - only to the right. I initially thought it was because I have a dodgy hip so maybe I was tilting to one side.
I had the saddler out who discovered that my cob is asymmetric and as he has a larger shoulder one side than the other this was pushing the saddle over.

Similar but mine slipped due to slight muscle difference on his bum between one side & another. We built him up correctly but he's always had an issue with the most correctly fitting saddle due to being a flat backed cob with minimal wither. I manage it with a breastplate & also I found girthing on different straps mine made a difference e.g I now girth up on the second & fourth straps.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Update incase people haven't seen my other post we didn't go jumping she has been checked this morning by the yard owner and manager and we believe she has fat pockets we aren't sure how this has happened as she is ridden regularly and there's not alot of grass in her field but they have said to restrict her grazing so she will be out in the day for a few hours and in at night to restrict her grass

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
I cant just cancel the lesson

Looks like you did so it's probably unnecessary to say tha yes, if your saddle has issues then clinics are not a good idea and should be cancelled.

A saddle that suddenly starts slipping can#t be said to fit, full stop. If you have been working with a fitter, which everyone should do, then many are offering a basic remote fit check from photos. Definitely have it checked at least every 6 moths minimum going forwards, and yes, gaining weight can affect saddle fit badly. This extra pads will have been making it tip back more but proceed with caution and actually I would say not to ride with a grip pad against the skin, they can make some horses not only very uncomfortable at best but actually cause fascial damage.