Saddle slipping

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Hi i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to stop a horses saddle from slipping every time I ride im slipping sideways the girth is done up really tight. I have a grip saddle pad but she needs extra support so i either have another saddle pad underneath or a half pad on top but im still slipping anyone have any ideas?

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
I think you need a fitter to come out to evaluate. The girth shouldn’t need to be “really tight” to prevent movement.
Ok thanks i loan her and me and her owner have been having the same problems so im just trying to see if there's other options as no professionals are allowed at the yard unless its a emergency

Sheep

Visit site
Hopefully you can get someone out to have a look soon. I know my saddle fitter has just started working again (with risk assessment) so hopefully you won’t need to wait too long.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Hopefully you can get someone out to have a look soon. I know my saddle fitter has just started working again (with risk assessment) so hopefully you won’t need to wait too long.
Ye hopefully i won't im just looking for any ideas temporarily because i still need to work her as shes coming back in to work so I cant just not ride but its getting annoying

PSD

Visit site
If you have to work her then I would do groundwork until you have a saddle that fits. My friend is going through the same at the moment and either rides bareback or does groundwork.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
If you have to work her then I would do groundwork until you have a saddle that fits. My friend is going through the same at the moment and either rides bareback or does groundwork.
Yeah i know its just annoying because i have booked a jumping clinic for today and hacking tomorrow so im trying to find something temporary

PSD

Visit site
Yeah i know its just annoying because i have booked a jumping clinic for today and hacking tomorrow so im trying to find something temporary

I wouldn’t be doing anything until I had a saddle that fit, especially not a jumping clinic. You could hack bareback if the pony was safe enough but your priority should be trying to get a fitter out. Most of them are back to work now

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Shes not my horse so i dont know what to do the owner has gave me a grip saddle pad but i put another nummnah under it as she needs extra support so im just going to see how she goes with just the grip pad but the thing is this has only just started happening also we only walk out hacking as the other horses can't trot

PSD

Visit site
Shes not my horse so i dont know what to do the owner has gave me a grip saddle pad but i put another nummnah under it as she needs extra support so im just going to see how she goes with just the grip pad but the thing is this has only just started happening also we only walk out hacking as the other horses can't trot

tell the owner the saddle doesn’t fit and you can’t ride until you have tack that fits. Easy, I wouldn’t be putting padding etc under.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
tell the owner the saddle doesn’t fit and you can’t ride until you have tack that fits. Easy, I wouldn’t be putting padding etc under.
I only put padding under as she needs extra support ive been riding her for nearly a year and we have had no problems with the saddle until a few days ago im going to try just the grip pad today and see what happens

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Becuase i wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas which could help if this doesn't work and ive only just thought of this idea

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Becuase i wanted to see if anyone had any good ideas which could help if this doesn't work and ive only just thought of this idea
If a saddle doesn’t fit, adding pads will not make it fit any better. I have a feeling you’ll just carry on riding regardless but please bare in mind that a poor fitting saddle can cause issues for the horse, and won’t be comfortable for them.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
If a saddle doesn’t fit, adding pads will not make it fit any better. I have a feeling you’ll just carry on riding regardless but please bare in mind that a poor fitting saddle can cause issues for the horse, and won’t be comfortable for them.
Ive never had problems with the saddle and I've been riding in it for over a year i have extra padding because she needs extra support

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Ive never had problems with the saddle and I've been riding in it for over a year i have extra padding because she needs extra support
Horses should have their saddles check at least once a year, and some horses chance shape very regularly. What makes you think she needs extra support?

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Horses should have their saddles check at least once a year, and some horses chance shape very regularly. What makes you think she needs extra support?
The vet told me she doesn't belong to me and a few months ago i had a lesson and the vet was present we then all agreed that she would get a thorough health check back check teeth everything everything was done and i got told by the vet to ride in a saddle pad abd a half pad or 2 nummnahs

SpotsandBays

Visit site
The vet told me she doesn't belong to me and a few months ago i had a lesson and the vet was present we then all agreed that she would get a thorough health check back check teeth everything everything was done and i got told by the vet to ride in a saddle pad abd a half pad or 2 nummnahs
Ok, if that is the case then you need to have a saddler out to adjust the saddle to fit with the pads on.

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
That could be because the saddle doesn’t fit and is causing pain. Please please please get a saddler out! Adding pads will not help for this in my opinion.
I cant do anything shes not my horse the owner knows about this and has been having the same problems im just trying to find a solution temporarily

Lotsoflemons

Visit site
Shes on full livery so everything is done by the yard they make her appointments, order her food and everything but theres no where open
I would speak to the owner. If the saddle does not fit then it should not be used until it has been checked/adjusted!
Shes on full livery so everything is done by the yard they make all her appointments order her food etc and everything but no where is open and we aren't allowed professionals at the yard unless its a emergency

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Shes on full livery so everything is done by the yard they make her appointments, order her food and everything but theres no where open
Shes on full livery so everything is done by the yard they make all her appointments order her food etc and everything but no where is open and we aren't allowed professionals at the yard unless its a emergency
Then I would not be riding. There’s plenty of other things you can to to keep the horse fit. Lunging, Long reining, walking out in hand, loose schooling.

be positive

Visit site
You have posted in C&T about this and clarified that it slips to one side, if this is the same with both riders I would be getting another vet to look at her, putting an extra pad on for support to stop her bolting is not the answer I would expect from a vet, it is far more likely she is in discomfort and not working evenly which is why you and the saddle are being pushed over to one side, it may be something degenerative so is only now becoming clearer, the guidelines are now allowing non emergency visits with social distancing and the yard should be aware of that.

It could be as simple as the saddle needs readjusting but there is no quick fix that will allow you to continue riding.