Safest tie-up system for use in the lorry?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Am debating which tie-up thingies to use.

Currently have one quick release that clips onto the headcollar. Did have two but friend's horse twanged back and out off up the hill when she was loading him - he's an unscathed twonk, so the thing does work I'm just contemplating whether to get another one or get something different.

Any suggestions?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I've been put off those elasticated things, they break if the horse is going to go, but I think the risk of it pinging unhelpfully and taking your eye out is too high.
I just use weakened twine and a leather headcollar. Both will break if they need to but hold an "average" horse.
Kira broke a trailer tie when she was an uneducated thug but tbh successful loading with her was about technique and practice rather than equipment.
Is there a reason you're looking at a specific product rather than normal string?

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I've been put off those elasticated things, they break if the horse is going to go, but I think the risk of it pinging unhelpfully and taking your eye out is too high.
I just use weakened twine and a leather headcollar. Both will break if they need to but hold an "average" horse.
Kira broke a trailer tie when she was an uneducated thug but tbh successful loading with her was about technique and practice rather than equipment.
Is there a reason you're looking at a specific product rather than normal string?

Ta :)

Probably because I've found it useful when loading the slightly, um, shall we say bouncier horse (Titch springs to mind!) it's good to have something to easily clip the headcollar straight into rather than having to stand and tie up. Can't remember what make the current one is.

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Thank you all.

Titch has been a twonk about being tied up from day one: I'll make him and it my winter's project! I take friends' horses out and about and whilst the vast majority are good there's the odd one or two that can be an irriate. They travel fine, there's just that moment when a quick 'tie up' can be handy.

Mule

Visit site
I keep 2 of those lead ropes with panic clips permanently tied on to the tie rings in the box. I just clip those on to his head collar whenever we go somewhere. So he's cross tied but it shouldn't be hard to release him.

bubsqueaks

Visit site
Ive just bought equi-pings for both my stable & lorry, although in the lorry shes in her equi travel safe anyway.
Ive always worried (born worrier!) ever since my unhelpful instructor told me the tale of woe of dreadful accident involving horse tied to side of lorry with baling twine & pulling off lorry side!
Theyre very neat with a couple of variations of pull weight - I just feel happier knowing that at 80k pressure they break.

QuantockHills

Visit site
Makes sense :)
I'd probably leave a normal rope ready tied that you can just clip on ;) those elastic things give me the heebie jeebies!
that's what I do... i load my youngster in a long line and have a leadrope already at the right length tied up to string in the trailer... makes it quicker to clip him on before he starts to think about coming out again! he is only a youngster and getting much better I have to say! i did use trailer ties but found them too fiddle with gloves on...

Darbs

Visit site
We use Equitie, inside the trailer and out. Never had a problem with them, and have released with a panicking horse (not ours) in the past.

I saw the side get pulled out of a 3.5 tonne lorry when using baler twine, its too hit and miss knowing how much to remove to give some restraint but not too much.

Pippity

Visit site
We use Equitie, inside the trailer and out. Never had a problem with them, and have released with a panicking horse (not ours) in the past.

I saw the side get pulled out of a 3.5 tonne lorry when using baler twine, its too hit and miss knowing how much to remove to give some restraint but not too much.

We used to have equities on the cross-tie posts for the shower at my yard. Until the first time I bathed my horse... One snapped, rather than releasing, and the other held so firm that she snapped her leadrope instead.

I replaced them with equipings, which release a bit TOO easily for my taste, but better than the alternative.

Darbs

Visit site
We used to have equities on the cross-tie posts for the shower at my yard. Until the first time I bathed my horse... One snapped, rather than releasing, and the other held so firm that she snapped her leadrope instead.

I replaced them with equipings, which release a bit TOO easily for my taste, but better than the alternative.

Interesting, it does seem tough getting a happy balance between releasing and not releasing.

Follysmum

Visit site
Safest tie up system imo is the idolo tie rope especially for youngsters. It will teach them far safely as it will release if they panic but has enough tension

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Gosh. So much thinking and options. Thank you all.

Am mulling. I like the idolo idea, just not sure about it for the more seasoned horses. There's a couple that would know it and just walk out again (anything to get out of work that doesn't require any effort!).

Will look at all of the options this evening.

milliepops

Visit site
I've dug out my idolo tie for the TB, he is not used to being tied up (ex racer) and will break a string and sod off at speed but so far the idolo tie has allowed him to feel like he isn't trapped which was what triggers his panic reaction. It would have been fairly useless for my welsh when she was learning about loading, she would have just sodded off regardless :p you do need the right kind of leadropes for them IME (mine is 10ft long too, so plenty of wiggle room before he gets free ;) )

Follysmum

Visit site
My Older horse For 15years I couldn’t leave him tied up anywhere as he always broke away, tried everything until I bought the idolo tie he knows he can’t get away easily so will stand happily. Yes also buy the appropriate rope

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
Out of interest, what do people do when they use a transporter? I think I've had a mix of my usual headcollar (not always leather ones) and a rope to a ring (can't remember if there was a quick release mechansim on any of them).

Definitely food for thought.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I have the elastic leadrope type things with the quick release clips. Despite being naughty about being tied up, mine travels like a dream and its just really easy to walk her up and clip her in!

milliepops

Visit site
Out of interest, what do people do when they use a transporter? I think I've had a mix of my usual headcollar (not always leather ones) and a rope to a ring (can't remember if there was a quick release mechansim on any of them).

it was a transporter's elastic thing that mine broke :oops: it had a quick release on but she just pulled until it snapped.
after that I always brought my own string. And always leather headcollars, I don't use anything else.

Silver Clouds

Visit site
Slightly off track (but still travel related), does anyone know where I can buy a leather head collar WITHOUT a throat clip (so undoes via a buckle on the headpiece only)? My horse twice snapped the throat clip on leather head collars whilst travelling (presume he rubbed on something and got it caught, he was fine and didn't appear bothered but I presume the snapped clip shot off at speed so wouldn't like it to happen again). I have sewn the leather directly onto the ring on one of the broken head collars, which has solved the problem but has altered the fit a bit too much to be ideal. I know English Bridles used to make one, but I asked earlier this year and they said there's no demand so they stopped selling them. I haven't had any luck finding one anywhere else yet.

ETA it was also a worry that the metal clip snapped before either the leather head collar (and he broke 2 different brands of head collar) or the thinned-down baler twine (which I subsequently swapped for an equiping).

Pippity

Visit site

Both times, I used a leather headcollar, and both transporters have clipped them to quick-release (not self-release) bungees.

When I get my own van, I'm pretty sure I'll be using either equipings or Idolo ties.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Slightly off track (but still travel related), does anyone know where I can buy a leather head collar WITHOUT a throat clip (so undoes via a buckle on the headpiece only)? My horse twice snapped the throat clip on leather head collars whilst travelling (presume he rubbed on something and got it caught, he was fine and didn't appear bothered but I presume the snapped clip shot off at speed so wouldn't like it to happen again). I have sewn the leather directly onto the ring on one of the broken head collars, which has solved the problem but has altered the fit a bit too much to be ideal. I know English Bridles used to make one, but I asked earlier this year and they said there's no demand so they stopped selling them. I haven't had any luck finding one anywhere else yet.

ETA it was also a worry that the metal clip snapped before either the leather head collar (and he broke 2 different brands of head collar) or the thinned-down baler twine (which I subsequently swapped for an equiping).

i got my leather headcollar without the throat clip at hope valley some years ago. i think it was a shires..