Second week in April plans

Alibear

Visit site
The new yard farrier is a lovely chap and has tried putting a little more support on the outside of Ambers hinds, so we'll see how that goes. She was excellent for my trainer to ride, back in the outdoor arena for the first time this year and didn't put a hoof wrong. It was lovely to sit back and watch them go. Then I had 15 mins sit, and all went well. I need to focus on straightness and keeping connection through the transitions now, which is hard work for my addled old brain—also, steering with my knees? This is a novel concept but seems to work well. Dentists on Sunday went well, all routine, nothing to worry about and see us in 12-months sort of thing :) I rode again in the afternoon back outdoors with kids, dogs and DIY going on, and she was again as good as gold. A few moments of unsettled head carriage, but I'm putting that down to the new teeth.

TheMule

Visit site
Nova had a busy weekend with a really useful Eric Smiley clinic on Saturday and then a fun ride yesterday. I'm a bit sceptical about how much 'fun' fun rides are but this one had loads of jumps, we went last and Nova was just a delight to ride. So proud of him. I would never have dared take his mother on a fun ride, she would have lost the plot ?

4DEAEB89-A571-4082-8D15-58527515B509.jpeg

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
We had a successful day show jumping on Saturday, made some progress and worked out where we need to improve. He needs to be more in front of my leg, he has these hot thoroughbred moments and tricks me into letting him be behind the leg.

Then today we had a lesson and unpacked our problems even further. I’m feeling very frustrated because it feels like we have to go all the way back to the beginning and fix some of the basics and that I should know better but really it’s not all bad. I need to remember that Henry had a year off and I had a baby which means we are both a bit rusty!

Now to dedicate ourselves to our homework. But we have a shiny new dressage saddle which will help too!D5FD5BB9-903C-46F7-BF0F-7BD0CAC7678D.jpeg

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
On Saturday horse had a "lesson" given by me with his younger rider. He's becoming so confident over fences now. He makes it look easy. I really never expected this from him!

On Sunday we walked with OH and the dog. Mostly through the village and up a paved way since there were trees down everywhere from the snow storm. The snow melted quickly, but many trails are still not passable.

Yesterday we did some dressage schooling. Worked on some of our weak points and got some good swing and better reach in the Medium trot, and slowly improving the extended trot. Sounds silly, perhaps, but the extended trot is one of our biggest issues. He can do more "complex" movements, but putting together a good extended trot is challenging. Canter extensions are quite good, as is his walk. I've only seen this horse do a legit extended trot, on his own, with suspension in the gait, once in his life ? I know they say you can improve the trot the most, but it's not easy! He's quite strong, adjustable, and supple, in his lateral work, and we use this to help build the extensions.

Made me laugh a bit when younger rider said she wanted to try the extended trot with him, and I thought, what extended trot? ?‍♀️ I mean, it's there, but not where it could be, if that makes sense.

Roxylola

Visit site
Bon played over some very small fences in our field on Sunday, despite being a bit looky and backing off a touch he does keep going we're keeping everything tiny and easy. It will I think be easier when he can canter over them but canter steering is interesting at the moment so we'll stick with trot and pop.
Charlie did a grid clinic last night. Felt 16 hands when I got on. Sparky, alert, bit spooky but in a really happy way. Put the biggest smile on my face. He gets worried when there is a lot of poles and backs off so I have to let him work it out for himself and he's often shuffling strides in all over. Last night he got so bold and confident, and really got it. The canter was bold and punchy, really lifting and pushing over his fences, hitting all the strides spot on. He's also.rapidly turning in to a point and shoot, not as a result of skill on my part, just pure sat nav fail when I realised about a stride away I was supposed to be jumping the fence I was passing. In my defence it was only tiny at the time ?
We finished down a treble one stride line of 85 (ish). We'd have shuffled down that on 2s like wreck it Ralph a year ago

AandK

Visit site
A momentous day on Sunday, as I got to take Charlie out in the trailer to somewhere other than the vets! I've had him 3yrs now and the last time I went out with my retiree was almost 4yrs ago, it was so nice to be out again! We went to a pole/jump clinic, starting with poles and working toward tiny fences. He was rather wound up to start with, his first time being ridden away from home since his racing days, and I did wonder if we'd get to to anything other than walk round! But he soon settled and we had a great time, he picks things up very fast! Have booked into the next one on 8th May. Just need to get him out and about to different places now so he gets used to it.

AandK

Visit site
A momentous day on Sunday, as I got to take Charlie out in the trailer to somewhere other than the vets! I've had him 3yrs now and the last time I went out with my retiree was almost 4yrs ago, it was so nice to be out again! We went to a pole/jump clinic, starting with poles and working toward tiny fences. He was rather wound up to start with, his first time being ridden away from home since his racing days, and I did wonder if we'd get to to anything other than walk round! But he soon settled and we had a great time, he picks things up very fast! Have booked into the next one on 8th May. Just need to get him out and about to different places now so he gets used to it.

A cheeky (or should that be chin-ny!!) couple of pics of my ginger jumping teeny fences! ETA: this is the fifth time he has ever jumped, and first away from home.
278254036_620329463072768_4135111949002944042_n.jpg

So good he can do it with his eyes closed ;)
278190121_620329546406093_962767934155975093_n.jpg

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Think I best tag my little outing to indoor arena hire this afternoon onto this thread.
After a great arena eventing clinic at weekend, I was hoping B might continue to enjoy jumping... however, she hasn't been keen on indoor arenas for a long time so we've swerved them the last year or so.
Joined 2 others for a very hard working 30min sj session in the huge indoor arena and was grinning from ear to ear as B concentrated well, popped everything in there inc fillers etc too.
Maybe we might just think about attempting a CR up there next month to check......

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Being as it is the second week in April thread, not just the weekend, I will add today's stressless dressage (no need for competition gear).

baby horse's 2nd ever competition. We just did the Intro as he isn't ready to show the judge his canter work yet.

He got a couple of 8s!!! Much better than his first ever competition last month, where he lost courage when trotting up the centre line and had to have a little walk and then had never seen boards before (with flowers) and had a little banana at them. This time was a lot more confident. Did as he was asked, just not with as much ooomph as I would like. But, I prefer that to bucking or other bad behaviour, as his demeanour was exemplary.

278074061_704214200605587_7213319563197996786_n.jpg
278067482_1134152460668545_7672841477314948558_n.jpg

oldie48

Visit site
Shortstuff, I completely missed the Portugese Equestrian Arts but we did have a lovely time. I spent a shed load of money (can't take it with me!). We walked over 30 miles and at least half of it was uphill, drank quite a lot as my daughter loves her cocktails and I came home refreshed but exhausted, having had a few adventures/ mishaps which is what you always remember about holidays oh and we laughed a great deal! I hacked out on the delightful Mr D this morning in a light rain and felt at peace with the world after deciding not to read/listen to the news (lasted less than 8 hours). I hope everyone has a lovely Easter.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I am so excited :cool: - I finally have something nice to do! So tomorrow I am taking Stormy to Kings Forest for her first ever forest trip. After being in rehab since December it is so nice to finally be getting out for something fun. I have got another trip lined up and as I've had some loading issues I wanted to get out for something 'fun' before going out for *whisper* Dressage.
She will have Saturday off to recover and then hack Sunday and Monday. Then she's got flu vaccs on Tuesday before returning back to Rossdales on Friday for her last session with her consultant and then if everything is good we can start cantering and getting on with life!

Roxylola

Visit site
I am so excited :cool: - I finally have something nice to do! So tomorrow I am taking Stormy to Kings Forest for her first ever forest trip. After being in rehab since December it is so nice to finally be getting out for something fun. I have got another trip lined up and as I've had some loading issues I wanted to get out for something 'fun' before going out for *whisper* Dressage.
She will have Saturday off to recover and then hack Sunday and Monday. Then she's got flu vaccs on Tuesday before returning back to Rossdales on Friday for her last session with her consultant and then if everything is good we can start cantering and getting on with life!
Your job to start next weekend/week thread then. It is Thursday after all ?