Second weekend in August plans.....

palo1

Visit site
Big one for us- the national championship combined with the first selection event for the British team 2022

New PB in the dressage to get the best score of the championship ??View attachment 77799
Then tried our best XC to let one those pesky boys ahead
View attachment 77800
Rattled him slightly which then meant an u characteristic cones round today but finished as reserve 3* advanced national champions with good points into the selection league ??
Awesome quirky little horse…

Wow!! That is amazing :) Huge congratulations - driving looks like a blast but such a lot of work involved too. :) I love these driving updates from you!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Big one for us- the national championship combined with the first selection event for the British team 2022

New PB in the dressage to get the best score of the championship ??View attachment 77799
Then tried our best XC to let one those pesky boys ahead
View attachment 77800
Rattled him slightly which then meant an u characteristic cones round today but finished as reserve 3* advanced national champions with good points into the selection league ??
Awesome quirky little horse…

I love that your "posh passenger" in the dressage starts flinging himself around the carriage on the cross country ?

Brilliant result, congratulations!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Great photo Nicicb , loving the blue matchy .

Maddie is looking fab nicki

I love how smart Maddie always looks.

Thanks all - she has a vast wardrobe to choose from!

Have loved reading all the reports from everyone's escapades over the weekend. The only photo I took this weekend was from afternoon tea on Saturday, when I consumed more sugar than I normally do in a month.....

238757288_10224402074012154_1981671143101785790_n.jpg

Reacher

Visit site
Nice to hear about everyone’s weekends.
We went unaff SJ and XC over a BE 80 course. He did a lovely clear SJ and was foot perfect XC - he is much less whizzy now I’ve stopped interfering and let him go at his pace. I was slightly worried about the steep downhill stretch but he was fine. Delighted with him, less delighted with myself as i missed out a jump while walking the course .... what a muppet!

Alibear

Visit site
I took Amber for a lesson on Friday afternoon, where I spent 50 mins with the trainer trying to get simple changes sorted. It highlighted many minor issues from falling in, being on the forehand, not really going into the contact, not really accepting my leg aid etc. So the trainer hopped on for 10 mins and worked on a few things, and then I hopped on, and her way of going was much better, but the simple change was still not there. So she's staying with them for the next two weeks as I've just let everything slip back to say 80% of what it should be. I feel mean, but it's for her own good as if she's not moving correctly, she'd not going to build up her muscles in the right way.
We stayed overnight for a clinic on Saturday, and changes through jog were actually OK, so something sunk in. More work is required but definitely better than Friday. Why was I trying to do them through the walk? Only one governing body event permits that, but they also permit through the jog, so through jog is what I need to sort out first :) She was really good at working in groups and going away from the others, and we had our first ride on the lovely new outdoor surface.
This added to my guilt as she was so good, but she didn't get to come home; she's now staying there for school. She loaded the first time and with no help on the way out; she may think better of that now this has happened.
In more good news, Daisy scanned in foal this morning, so next year will be exciting :)

Pippity

Visit site
I had a rider physio session on Saturday, and I'm even wonkier than I'd realised. My poor, poor horse. I've been given exercises to do, and hopefully I'll improve. I'm now making an effort to actually sit in the middle of the saddle, rather than wonking around, and my muscles are whining about it.

Sunday was a delightfully Pullein-Thompson hack, complete with drinking lemonade in the sunshine, hasty tack repairs with baling twine, and getting home just before the heavens opened. I think I'm now destined to win the showjumping at the local gymkhana.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I'm so jealous of those of you with 2022 (or even 2021) foals! I've set a new (totally unrealistic/borderline impossible) goal of having a homebred Iberian. I can dream, right? ?

I didn't ride on Sat due to feeling a bit off from a jab, but schooled yesterday. Half-pass quality steadily improving (mostly the right- that was the one that needed polishing), and flying change quality as well. I'm sort of a stickler which is both a strength and downfall, tbh ? working on more expression and honing in on accuracy. I feel like I can't say he can do "x" unless it's perfect ?‍♀️ he can give me a really good feeling and I can feel more untapped potential for a few things, but he can also only want to give as little as possible some days. But he's never been an ambitious workaholic type, which has its pros and cons.

School today and hack tomorrow.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
A busy learning weekend.

Finally this one after months and months of work goes round in a polite way. Its a bit quiet in places but I just need to get better at coming off corners and I am a bit out of practice.

Before - yes, we jumped clear but I knew she could't move up the levels going round like this. Comes against the hand and the topline does not stay soft.

After - a bit quiet in places but think it will get better.

Insey had a learning session - the canter needs a lot of work to go in. I have been cheating as the horse is athletic and instead I need to put more adjustability in. Lots of grids, lots of 10m circles, clock exercise, 5 uprights on 7yds.

Attachments

• MPEC Aug 21.jpg
    MPEC Aug 21.jpg
    656.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Reacher

Visit site
I had a rider physio session on Saturday, and I'm even wonkier than I'd realised. My poor, poor horse. I've been given exercises to do, and hopefully I'll improve. I'm now making an effort to actually sit in the middle of the saddle, rather than wonking around, and my muscles are whining about it.

Sunday was a delightfully Pullein-Thompson hack, complete with drinking lemonade in the sunshine, hasty tack repairs with baling twine, and getting home just before the heavens opened. I think I'm now destined to win the showjumping at the local gymkhana.

Ooh yes me too - I had a physio session (well a sports massage /manipulation lady) last week too - am very wonky! Got exercises and a follow up session booked this week. At least our horses will appreciate us getting fixed

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
LEC, your grey horse looks more settled now. And the other looks super bold with loads of spring
I despaired at being able to ever get the grey going how I wanted. She was getting very strong, I was firing at fences because I couldn't keep an even stride pattern and I was really struggling xc as just wouldn't turn and would overjump and run off. I think I spent a month jumping 2ft four times a week doing the same exercise over and over again and I have not competed her since April to get it right.

I do feel a lot of pressure with this horse because everyone keeps telling me how great she is. I appreciate all she cares about is food and her friends, but I still know that this is the best horse I have had ability wise. The bay is a nice horse but the grey is a machine.

j1ffy

Visit site
Rara - well done!! Love seeing your reports.
LEC - that's a great improvement!
Nikicb - yummmm...

It's been a busy weekend here too between horsey and non-horsey stuff. Friday and Saturday were hacking days for me and Chilli, but I added some extra interest by going to a local RS for a group jumping lesson! I've not jumped properly in about 4 years and felt I needed to get my eye in again (and re-learn to ride short...) before inflicting my jumping position on Chilli. I found myself on a cute 7yo 15hh Connie and we jumped no bigger than cavaletti, but it was fun bombing around a little 'course' and remembering how to fold, give and spot a stride. I'm back next week and hopefully do something that means actually leaving the ground.

A friend came to the yard on Sunday and had a ride on Chilli. It's the first time anyone else has sat on him since he was backed last year and I'm pleased to say that he was a very good boy for her. Less so for me as he was very keen in canter and I resorted to a pull on the neck strap to get him back to me - I'm not sure where that emergency brake aid has come from but I'm pleased it works! His trot work was much calmer though, he's just got so much energy and exuberance that the canter can get a little wild. Oh and he also locked onto a 90 fence with a scary filler after a slight miscommunication, he's clearly got the memo that we're going to start jumping soon. Thankfully I pulled him up before he took off...

GinaGeo

Visit site
It looks like some excellent weekends have been had!

Trying to work out what mine would make of rhinos! And RaRa the driving looks fabulous - congrats on the PB Dressage score!

We’ve had a wonky weekend. It was Side Saddle Nationals.

Bit of a mixed bag results wise, but had a fabulous time! We kicked off with a win in the Open Novice Dressage on 69.2%. Followed closely by me getting lost not once but twice in the Elementary ? Looks like I’m a bit rusty at the whole multiple tests in a day thing ?

Saturday was Equitation and after winning the Novice in 2019 we were up in the Intermediate. This is what we really wanted to do well in. And what all the preparation and polishing was in aid of. My boots were wrapped in shower caps, his socks were white and the Saddle flap was polished to within an inch of its life.

It didn't quite go to plan. We made some expensive mistakes (broke to canter in the Medium Trot and had a wonky final halt) in the Equitation Test which battered the heavily weighted submission collectives too.

And I noticed I find it really hard to sit as correctly as I need to whilst riding a dressage test. In a show class (which is how the equitation is judged the rest of the year) I can glue myself in, tuck in my elbows, hold my right shoulder back, keep my right toe down and keep everything looking serene. But all he needs to do is glide around doing basic transitions and maintaining the direction and pace unless otherwise notified and he’s well schooled enough that my input is minimal in such situations. Giving me plenty of time to think about me.

Unfortunately, when I’m concentrating on all the normal things one juggles whilst riding a dressage test, but trying to do it on the wonk and whilst looking effortlessly elegant I’m not quite succeeding in ticking all the boxes which was reflected in the scores. It’s one of those, way harder than it looks things. And the Intermediate Test, rightly, requires that much more of you than the Novice did.

And then we went in to jump. I’ll admit that 84cm has never looked so enormous (the jumps were airy and the arena very tight) and I knew I wasn’t sat on the most consistent jumper. I did regret entering the bigger section, but he has jumped 110 in the past and doesn’t always jump over small fences. But his prep outings were great and he warmed up very well.

As it was Solo was having one of those days that he just wasn’t feeling Jumping, so I put my hand up and retired him. They aren't machines and he doesn't always enjoy the jumping, today was one of those days. A shame, but lessons learnt.

We did manage to finish the weekend on a high. I am fortunate to have an incredibly talented Aunt who usually makes gorgeous TuTu's. When we started Side Saddle she started looking into Habits and asked if she could make me one. Of course I said yes and then gave her free rein to be as creative as she liked. The end result was stunning and we got to show it off on Saturday.

With some last minute help from some fellow competitors we got suited and booted, worked out where to attach our number and then waited for our section. Solo hasn't done an Evening Performance before, and certainly not with a billowing bright purple skirt. But he was flawless. Gave me the best ride of the weekend and loved the attention. It was made even better as we were pulled in first, against some other stunning horses and brilliant costumes.

69AA91BA-9D7D-4E01-AF36-8DB4783A3ABF.jpeg
EDE18F52-35CF-4181-9740-70712C55E811.jpeg

Very proud of him. But we have come away with lots of homework. And I definitely need to get back to Test riding on him regularly so I have less to think about ?

Last edited:

AandK

Visit site
Following the theme of the last few months, naff all horse wise! Charlie's foot continues to mildly vex me, the surgery site is all grown out now but there is a lot of crap left where the pre-op abscess made its way up out of the coronet band. He lost the shoe (and pad) the day before he was shod on 27th July, so was a bit tender, and then lost the shoe (no pad this time) again on Monday night. There isn't much foot left, which gives no option to put it back on so he has a boot and pad on that foot now. It may end up being a blessing in disguise (he was barefoot before the op) although it means no riding for the forseeable while his foot sorts itself out. I know we'll get there in the end, but I can't help but feel a bit down as he was going so, so well before this issue cropped up. Anyway, pity party over!
We have friends over for a BBQ tomorrow lunchtime and then Sunday we're off to the Loxwood Joust, which was great fun when we went in 2019, so really looking forward to that!

Good luck to all out and about this weekend!

Great reading everyone's reports from the weekend!
Looks like Charlie has decided he wants to be barefoot again, I got him in this morning to take him for a walk in hand and the shoe on the good foot was missing! :rolleyes: Fortunately he was fine walking on it, but I have popped the other boot on to keep him even. Walked out nicely down the road and back for 10mins, so I will keep this up several times a week increasing the distance to hopefully help the bad foot recover.

GinaGeo

Visit site
Lovely pictures GG. Very elegant and he is looking through the bridle. Where as it held this year as used to be Addington wasn't it?

Thank you everyone - you are very kind. It is a real privilege to be able to show my lovely little horse off in this way.

It was at Bury Farm. Huge effort from the organisers to find an alternative venue at short notice and it was very well organised. A few quirks with arenas as to be expected in the first year, but overall they did a super job :)

Roxylola

Visit site
Lots of fab pics this weekend ?
Love the concours outfit GG that's just stunning
Sarah, so glad you had a good weekend he looks mega in those pics

WelshHoarder

Visit site
GG you both look absolutely stunning - love the purple habit ?

Happy to report we all survived Sunday! In fact, baby Welshie surprised us all, and took all the hustle and bustle in her stride - I’ve got a sneaking suspicion that she’s one of these horses who is better the bigger the occasion is. I’ve also got a sneaking suspicion she‘s been watching the Olympics out in the field somehow, because the handbrake well and truly came off in their first jumping class and they flew around for a lovely quick double clear to win the class. They followed this up with another quick double clear for 3rd and then an unlucky 4 faults put them out of contention in the third class - but having now looked at the full results they’d have been 6th without the rail down, so again absolutely super for them - this is the child who was too nervous to trot over poles a few months ago, and came out of the ring on Sunday declaring that jumping from canter is so much fun, and he wants to do it again (baby Welshie had clearly declared that she’d got this, just hang on and point her in the right direction - they’ve only been cantering together for a few weeks and can normally only get a few strides at once in the school!). The grin on his face said it all - to survive was the goal, to place, and even win one, whilst getting the chance to ride at a big venue, in part of the main arena, was just fantastic, and more than we could ever have asked from them.

Showing in the afternoon didn’t go quite so well, they ended up last in three of their four classes - the one that stung for him was the Best Rider class, where it obviously felt to him that he was therefore the worst there, which wasn’t the case. They we’re all a good lesson in perseverance though, keeping going even when things were going a bit wrong! We’re not convinced baby Welshie overly enjoys showing either, so after Sunshine Tour I think we’re going to knock it on the head for now, and concentrate on their dressage and jumping, which they both seem to enjoy a lot more. They’ve dabbled, but it’s not really for them, which is fair enough. It was still a fantastic day though, and a really great experience. I’m now a bit more confident that the atmosphere at Hickstead won’t cause a total meltdown, and that whatever happens, they’ll have a good time.

A few pics from their big day:
1194FC06-8164-437C-AE9D-7C416476A88D.jpeg
87901ACD-CB4C-4AD4-B77A-AD87FA709E02.jpeg
5AF86AB9-06C6-4D2F-9A7F-0E4FC38A8B97.jpeg
8D9EE34D-F652-4223-9337-4EB5BF83CAA7.jpeg
522B31CD-8DCC-4B54-AED2-BA2C58D75C99.jpeg
A1113D01-6D6B-4191-BF2F-C06193DDDF76.jpeg
F057FEA2-368F-43AF-A07D-590BB6A2CFB9.jpeg
52A14AC3-B523-44A3-B421-5F9196C3755B.jpeg

Sheep

Visit site
So we actually ended up going for our lesson with local pro eventer yesterday! OH took the reins (his horse, I suppose, ha ha). I phoned him yesterday afternoon to arrange a day/time and he said sure come ahead now!!
It all went really well and we definitely learned a lot, instructor wanted to buy the horse ? he also recommended that we stick to one rider for now for SJ/XC, so I will be hanging up my jumping boots for the next wee while!
OH likely to be away with work for another week or 2 after this week so we are going to try and get across for another lesson some time this week ?